New Line Cinema | Release Date: June 25, 2004
8.8
Universal acclaim based on 401 Ratings
Watch Now
ThegodfathersonNov 13, 2013
I’ve heard people refer to “The Notebook” as cheesy, as a ‘chick flick’ (a label very few of my colleagues can stand because of its negative connotation), as predictable and sappy. So “The Notebook” doesn’t exactly take a brain surgeon toI’ve heard people refer to “The Notebook” as cheesy, as a ‘chick flick’ (a label very few of my colleagues can stand because of its negative connotation), as predictable and sappy. So “The Notebook” doesn’t exactly take a brain surgeon to guess how the story is going to play out. And it does unapologetically play on your emotions, practically begging you to squeeze out a few tears. But here’s why I enjoyed “The Notebook”: it’s a movie you can relax and let flow over you. It’s also one of the few films out there that tells a complete story. There’s a well-defined beginning, middle, and end. “The Notebook” is a gentle romantic tale in the midst of blockbuster action films and goofball comedies. It could be argued that releasing it in mid-June is counter-programming at its best, giving adults who don’t want their senses assailed by CGI special effects a real choice at the box office. But you have to wonder if “The Notebook” would have stood a better chance of finding the right audience had it been released later in the year, when moviegoers are really ready for more intense storytelling, than during the crowded summer months. The Notebook” isn’t just a film for women. It’s a movie for anyone who wants to get lost in a beautiful story, for anyone who believes romance is still alive on film. Expand
lukechristianscFeb 12, 2015
Apparently critics are giving 'The notebook' a mediocre review, i couldn't blame i actually agree, the movie starts out an old man trying to make his dementia wife Allison trying to remember when they first meet also when they fall in love;Apparently critics are giving 'The notebook' a mediocre review, i couldn't blame i actually agree, the movie starts out an old man trying to make his dementia wife Allison trying to remember when they first meet also when they fall in love; so anyway the movie starts Rachelle Mcadams and Ryan Gosling are star crossed lovers young Allison is rich young Noah is poor. It's Nicholas Sparks same cliche' in all of his movies including books. Like this movie is very cliche'd like seriously a person can't remember their love story? so James Garner makes a book about their love to make sure old Ally (Gena Rowlandsy) remember? wow what a cliche! but the cast is great and they give outstanding performances. Grade C+ Expand
MarickJul 5, 2015
It is a perfect film. It's really one worth seeing .
RegOzApr 6, 2012
I can see why many people like it. Especially girls. I am myself a female spectator, yet, although I truly enjoyed, I don't find it as good as most people here seem to find it. The story is certainly beautiful, at times predictable, butI can see why many people like it. Especially girls. I am myself a female spectator, yet, although I truly enjoyed, I don't find it as good as most people here seem to find it. The story is certainly beautiful, at times predictable, but delightful just the same, and I like the performances. Still, the story is not truly original, but it has good moments and all the elements together make this movie special, not an easy movie to forget. For what it is, however...is over the average, but not much more. Expand
Antgiog1202May 20, 2016
Romance is the finest miracle life has to offer human beings. With the uncontrollable desire to love a solemate brings us that motivating force to wake up every morning and appreciate our time in life. The Notebook is the definition ofRomance is the finest miracle life has to offer human beings. With the uncontrollable desire to love a solemate brings us that motivating force to wake up every morning and appreciate our time in life. The Notebook is the definition of adoration and love between two vastly beautiful individuals. It can tunnel into the inner core of our hearts and can stupidly play with our emotions. Though, it doesn't surpass the obvious cliches we would expect out of this genre. The playful dialouge, the breakup, and the reconciliation moment are all perfect examples of cliches this film possesss.

The Notebook can be a hard film to watch; but it's definately worth your time!

Rating: 7/10
nirishan9Jan 21, 2013
Really, quite good and touching. Somewhat predictable and frustrating at times, overall a good watch. At some parts, it was rather boring, but nothing to complain about profusely.
simonerodriguezMar 13, 2016
who ever gave this a negative score must hate life! it is one the best films i have ever seen, i can watch it again and again and again and again! ive always wanted a love like this!
LzrtagwinaBurneMar 26, 2016
Slow starting, outdated music, scrappy clothes, mediocre actors, unbelievable story line, dozed off 40 mins through, woke up before the end, couldn't follow the plot & it was a 2 hour movie!!!

But it was just that DAMN cute! 10/10 would do again!
AndieV.Jul 2, 2007
i thought this movie was gonna be emotional and sad and beautiful, cause everyone was raving about it. then, when i watched it, it was like any ordinary "tragica" romance, some parts were emotional, but all in all, it was okay.
JadeDec 4, 2005
10 10 10 10 10 ... i love this movie so much, coming from a girls perspective.. men might not like it all that much, but its WONDERFUL!!!
1 of 1 users found this helpful
SamL.Mar 6, 2006
I love this movie. I think this movie is the greatest movie to show the meaning of staying with your love one no matter what.
DannyW.May 31, 2006
this film is a special film to me it is the saddest film ive ever nown it makes me cry, i fell in love with the film people u need to watch this film rating.
DickR.Aug 30, 2007
I tried to rate this movie a "14"... it's a perfect "10" plus 4 bonus points for Gosling's beard and ferris wheel climbing skills!
MeGaNSep 4, 2005
The notebook is the perfect movie for all age types. i didn't think i would like it but i actually loved it. i watched three times so far and i cried everytime. they show love as the most powerful thing. if someone hasn't seen it The notebook is the perfect movie for all age types. i didn't think i would like it but i actually loved it. i watched three times so far and i cried everytime. they show love as the most powerful thing. if someone hasn't seen it yet they have to go watch it. (bring some tissue!) Expand
SylviaV.Jul 6, 2006
its a very inspiring movie about love the story line is great i just loved it but if they didn't put so much sex it would be a great movie for my kids.
AbbyJul 1, 2007
Very good movie. I was honestly surprised I cried :)
VictoriaDMar 17, 2009
I think if more people would love like that this world would be a better place.
[Anonymous]Oct 25, 2008
Best love story ever.
DanDMar 13, 2009
This movie was wonderful. Sure it may have followed the stereotypical tragic/romance, but it has done it so well. I find it disgusting that someone can not see the greatness in the film. I could say more, but it feels as if my breath is This movie was wonderful. Sure it may have followed the stereotypical tragic/romance, but it has done it so well. I find it disgusting that someone can not see the greatness in the film. I could say more, but it feels as if my breath is being wasted. Expand
RickZ.Nov 28, 2005
Now this is what I would call a true love story. I was blown away. This will definitely be one of my all time favorites. I can't stop thinking about it.
erin6Jan 20, 2011
The first time I saw this film I hated it. The second time I saw it I hated it. The third time I saw it I loved it. I'm not sure how I ended up watching a movie I hated so many times, but the third time my husband-to-be told me to watch itThe first time I saw this film I hated it. The second time I saw it I hated it. The third time I saw it I loved it. I'm not sure how I ended up watching a movie I hated so many times, but the third time my husband-to-be told me to watch it because he said the second time he saw it he realized that you have to be very very much in love to enjoy it. He was right. I think this movie speaks to our romantic fantasies. I just never had any romantic fantasies to compare it to until they happened to me in real life. This movie is wonderful if A) You are a hopeless romantic or B) You are that in love with someone yourself. I think how good it is is all about whether you can relate to the feelings of the characters. Expand
saachanAug 15, 2011
I recommend this movie to many people. Because it is very nice and moved story. This is about love story. The main character is old man who loves one old woman. In the last scene, you must be cry. It is famous movie in America. I love this story!
HamsterPrincessJan 6, 2015
One of the most beautiful love/romance dramas. I watched this over and over again, always in tears.
Performance of Rachel and Ryan are fantastic and the chemistry between them is believable.
Men hate this movie, but us girls love it! So be it. :))
vivekvermaAug 24, 2015
The Notebook is a brilliantly written intriguing story about two young lovers that most people can relate to. The movie describes how a summer love turned into a pure and inseprable love. The movie is filled with fabulous quotes andThe Notebook is a brilliantly written intriguing story about two young lovers that most people can relate to. The movie describes how a summer love turned into a pure and inseprable love. The movie is filled with fabulous quotes and sentimental moments which makes people get lost in the story, and forget about their thoughts, or what is going on in the outside world.

The movie was adapted from the novel "The Notebook" by Nicholas Sparks. Nick Cassavetes directed the movie, making a great adaption. Ryan Gosling brings a great innocence to the role of Noah Calhoun in the film, one of the two main characters. Rachel McAdams plays the other half of the duo as Allie Hamilton. They both gave an astonishing performances along with James Garner who plays old Noah and Gena Rowlands who plays old Allie.

The old Allie has a disease called Alzheimer's which makes her forget about her old life, particularly her husband and the life they had spent together. The story unfolds as Old Noah reads her "The Notebook" comprising of their young love, how they met, how they fell in love, how their love grew.

Noah and Allie gave a remarkably convincing portrayal of a boy and a girl traveling down a very long road with no regard for the consequence of their unconditional love. Noah is a country boy, Allie is from city. Being from a wealthy family, she had the world at her feet while he didn't have two dimes to rub together. With Noah, Allie is a completely different person. She sees her life differently and does what she likes rather than what her parents wants for her. She is like a free bird flying high up in the sky, enjoying her life to the fullest. One of the narration of the movie says, "The best love is the kind that awakens the soul and makes us reach out for more, that plants a fire in our heart and brings peace to our minds". That's what they gave each other and that's what people want in their life.

It does not matter whether you love romantic movies or hate them, this is NOT just a romantic movie it is so more than that. By the end of the movie you will feel a whole heap of emotions. It leaves it viewers to talk about the movie for a long time. This was one of the best movies I recently saw and would highly recommend to see this epic tale of love.