6.8

1. Oct 1, 2011
    "The Other Guys" doesn't try to be funny or sarcastic. It's just funny the way it is.
  2. Aug 22, 2010
    The Other Guys was pretty funny but I had higher expectations. It was good but it could have been much better also.
  3. Aug 9, 2010
    Didn't turn out as great as I was hoping having loved some of Will Ferrell's classics (Elf, Anchorman and Talledega Nights). Went to see this movie Sat 8/7/10 around 7pm and it was showing on 3 screens in a 20-screen complex. Next two showings of the movie were sold out so we (wife and 3 sons) skipped it but had high hopes given its popularity. Returned Sunday evening again at 7pm and the showing was half-full; important because great comedies are even better when a big audience is howling. While the movie was ok, it never had that bust-a-gut scene that Ferrell is capable of. That said, Ferrell was much better than Wahlberg, who's character range was close to zero. You can wait for DVD on this one. Expand
  4. Sep 22, 2010
    O wow this movie was funny. That's just it. It was funny. Also i think more movies are coming out in the future with the same type of opposite actor cast type thing that this movie did(i don't know wat you wana call it). For example, i saw a preview of a movie when i went to see the other guys, and it was staring robert downy jr. And the bearded guy from the hangover. So i think were going to see alot more movies like this one. Expand
  5. Apr 29, 2013
    Ferrell and Wahlberg work surprising well off each, the action is appropriately over the top and funny at the same time, the improved scenes work well and Mark Wahlberg delivers his funniest performance by far ("I'm a you gotta let me fly"). Although some of the jokes don't always work and I didn't find the reoccurring joke that Will Ferrell's character is irresistible very funny, by the end I felt thoroughly entertained. Another great addition to the Will Ferrell comedy collection. Expand
  6. Aug 11, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not the best comedy of late (I'd give that to The Hangover), but I laughed consistently through the whole thing. It's Will Ferrel's funniest movie since Old School. And though The Rock & Sam Jackson aren't in the final act, they are hilarious. Expand
  7. Aug 11, 2010
    Ferrell is capable of huge comic performances, however The Other Guys was not that performance. There were not enough funny lines in this film by either Ferrell or Wahlberg, and I found my self waiting for the funny stuff in between the movie itself. It felt like there was a sub-par story that took way too long to tell, and inside the telling of this story I waited impatiently for the next bout of comic relief (which happened way to infrequently). My expectations of Ferrell are set based on the antics in Talladega Nights, Anchorman, and Step Brothers, but at no point within this movie was Ferrell able to take over and put his hilarious signature on it. Eva Longorio was the best part of this movie, while the "hot girls love Ferrell's character" joke was just not that funny after the Eva Longorio dinner scene. I don't recommend this film, nor will I likely watch it again on DVD.

Waiting for Anchorman 2 instead.
  8. Aug 20, 2010
    Hands down one of the funniest movies of the summer, if not the year! Ferrell and Wahlberg are a match made in heaven, for their chemistry is spectacular. One of Will Ferrell's funniest movies ever, its up there with Anchorman and Talladega Nights. This movie was so funny that you often miss some of the jokes from laughing at previous ones!
  9. Aug 31, 2010
    This movie was not good. I am not sure what everyone else was watching. I really did not get it. The movie was so tired. Marky Mark yelling all the time was so tiresome.
  10. Sep 11, 2010
    This is another case of an average movie being over-hyped via advertising. You do laugh in a few spots, but the rest of the humour is rather crude. In some points you wonder how that makes sense and others are just completely random, only put in to try and wench a laugh out of you. Will Ferrell doesn't play his character believably and Mark Wahlberg doesn't do well either and ends up stale an boring. The action seems to be purposely Hollywood and completely unbelievable. If you want a good laugh and don't mind losing two hours of your life then you may as well see Despicable Me. Expand
  11. Sep 26, 2010
    Truly an awful film. I can't understand why people are raving about. Not clever, not funny. Felt like asking for my money back when I left the cinema. Maybe you have to be a teenage male American to enjoy it. Or just have no brain.
  12. Aug 16, 2010
    Agree with Los Angeles Times
    Reviewed by: Betsy Sharkey
  13. Aug 11, 2010
    Definitely not McKay and Ferrel's best, but it kept a smile on my face the whole time. Marky mark also did a fine job but i don't think this is his comeback. I went to a bad screening because no one was laughing but me, but it didn't matter.
  14. Dec 13, 2010
    I have never been a huge fan of Will Ferrell for all intensive purposes I actually loathe him(as an actor), you see Ferrell is like a dog who got out of his back yard and now has no idea where to go or what to do. All he knows is that he is free, free to roam around, free to chase cars. Just like a dog chasing a car, Ferrell never really learns when enough is enough. In "Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby" Ferrell plays an idiotic simpleton with one dream to go fast!!! So does Ricky Bobby. The main problem with "Talladega Nights" is that it relies on idiotic antics to induce laughter when there is no laughter to give. Adam McKay's "The Other Guys" is in some ways like "Talladega Nights" it follows two bungling New York City detectives Detective Allen Gamble(Will Ferrell) and his volatile partner Detective Terry Hoitz(a funnier than expected Mark Wahlberg) are two mismatched cops hot on the trail of a corporate conspiracy. That essentially is the plot of the entire film in a nutshell, through out most of the picture Gamble and Hoitz are running around aimlessly trying to piece together a conspiracy that to a normal person would seem paper-thin but too gamble and Hoitz itâ Expand
  15. Aug 11, 2010
    Adam McKay and Will Ferrell are back with this wacky cop film. They really found magic with Mark Whalberg and Will Ferrell partnering up to take down NYC's baddest and sneakiest criminals. One of the best summer movies this year. I had such a good time laughing the entire time.
  16. Aug 11, 2010
    It's got some genuine LOL moments, and yes, the last 25 minutes seems rushed and facilitates little more than an end to the fun, but this is probably the first movie starring Ferrell that will make it past a couple of viewings. A good fun romp, and well worth checking out.
  17. Aug 11, 2010
    Will Ferrell, with his stock (semi retarded?) character is turning into an American 'Mister Bean.' Have you seen one of his other movies? Then you've seen this one, except this one gets 'preachy' at the end, a sure sign a Hollywood actor is getting too comfortable and stale. Unfortunately, Mark Wahlberg is along for the ride and can't get the seatbelt to unfasten.
  18. Oct 25, 2010
    Este vehiculo de lucimiento de Will Ferrell tiene unos cuantos buenos gags diseminados a lo largo de casi dos horas de duracion. No es un buen porcentaje de bateo, la verdad sea dicha. Ademas, Mark Whalberg, como patiño de Ferrell, no resulta particularmente gracioso.
  19. Oct 17, 2010
    I don't know what it was, but I was just bored in theaters when I saw this. I like Mark Wahlberg and Will Ferrell, but this one just didn't do it for me. Maybe I should take a second look at it, but right now I don't think this one had much of anything funny.
  20. Aug 25, 2010
    Definitely exceeded my somewhat meager expectations, The Other Guys manages to be a mostly entertaining movie. The jokes are funny more often than not, and the action is at least decent, if somewhat muddled due to the fast-paced ADD editing that makes many modern action movies almost indecipherable. Ferrell and Wahlberg do a good job in the lead roles, although it seemed that most of the entertaining lines actually went to Wahlberg, who might want to stick to comedy after the somewhat dull response that's greeted his recent dramatic work. Overall, a huge step up from recent Ferrell comedies like Semi-Pro, but doesn't break any boundaries and is destined to be remembered as simply "entertaining" and nothing more. Expand
  21. Aug 16, 2010
    When I first saw the trailers for The Other Guys, almost every single cinema cell within me screamed "that movie will be terrible!" Granted I'd just recently suffered through the injustice that was Cop Out, and you know what they say about a movie-lover scorned, but nothing about this movie looked good to me. Then the reviews started sneaking out, and they were trending surprisingly positive. Not just "this is okay for a summer yukfest" positive but "this is one of Will Ferrell's best movies ever!" positive. On opening night, it was certified fresh on Rotten Tomatoes, with a score in the low 80s. Second only to Elf (2003). That's a better score than Talladega Nights (2006), Stranger than Fiction (2006), Wedding Crashers (2005), Anchorman (2004) and Old School (2003). Take a look at that list again. "Wow," you might be thinking, as I did the other night. "I must have got it all wrong. This movie must be pretty awesome!" Nope. Nope it isn't. I mean yeah, it's alright. But I'd say it's worse than every one of the Ferrell flicks listed above, save Talladega Nights, which is equally hit or miss. More: http://cinewise.blogspot.com/2010/08/other-guys-2010.html Expand
  22. Aug 19, 2010
    The main comedic style of this movie is to set up standard cop movie stereotypes and situations, and then resolve them in utterly unexpected and/or out of character ways. It may not always make sense, but it's always hilarious.

Also much more comedy dense than recent movies, there aren't that many 'slow' parts, and the ones that were there didn't last long. Definitely held interest the
    entire running time.

-1pt for an incomplete plot. The Wahlberg character just isn't given much of a back story outside of a single high-profile screwup, and too much of the main villain's plot happens offscreen.
  23. Aug 21, 2010
    This is a plodding, not funny movie. You will have to be a strong Wil Ferrell fan to get any enjoyment out of this movie. It is so tedious that I regretted not going with my wife to see Eat,Pray, Love. Wahlberg is normally pretty good but has to overact way too much in this movie as if we will not believe how bad it is.
  24. Aug 22, 2010
    The other guys is a very funny movie. Maybe not will ferell's best but still very funny. It does not have a great story and some parts were just added in for laughs but it was still a very funny movie and personaly i like it.
  25. Sep 5, 2010
    This movie was a little different from the average cop-buddy film and that is good. There were some funny parts but much of the funny stuff was just kind of stupid and only mildly funny . Most of the funny jokes were way over played and repeated several times throughout the film, they were funny once but after two, three, or more times they were a snooze. The characters were somehat odd, Michael Keaton played a soft spoken chief and just was not funny, Mark W's character was even more odd at time. I would definitely wait for the dvd Expand
  26. Sep 4, 2010
    Ferrell and Wahlberg do the best they can with the material they've been given but it's never enough to really hold your attention and it's never enough to really make this film worth the price of admission alone.
  27. Sep 4, 2010
    Didn't really do it for me. I'm a big Ferrell and Wahlberg but them together didn't seem right. Mark is really talented but not very funny. Will Ferrell is Will Ferrell. I enjoy his parts in the movie but the movie as a whole wasn't all that great. It had some good quotable lines but that's about it.
  28. Sep 15, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It was pretty funny. Some parts had my girlfriend and I cracking up, which is noteworthy, since she doesn't find stupidity funny. In other words, the movie was not stupid. It was mostly pretty funny (although a joke or two can be ruined by the seriousness of the situation). The Other Guys served its purpose well. There was just one misstep. We didn't understand the story. And we are both highly intelligent. I know I'm putting that assertion on the line, when I admit this, but I don't know HOW a company can cover their losses using the state lottery. And I have no idea how someone can steal a cop's pension. So we were in the dark when it came to a majority of the story, which is honestly pretty irritating. Regardless, It's funny. The characters work well together and some funny dialogue happens. See this movie if you have a desire to laugh (and preferably extensive knowledge of finances.) Expand
  29. Sep 28, 2010
    It is true that some parts are laugh out loud funny, but the majority of the movie is just stupid and even, at times, boring. Mark Wahlberg was horrible, but Will Ferrell gave one of his better performances, in a movie that was one of his best. But that doesn't mean "The Other Guys" was a good movie by any means.
  30. Nov 29, 2010
    I must say i was disapointed by the movie. It wasn't that fun, yes it was fun at some points, but for me it just missed the complete plot. It was very confusing, and moved a lot. It seemed like they took an actionmovie, and tried to make it as funny as possible. But failed, and there for ended up with a bad action movie with tasteless humour.
  31. Aug 11, 2010
    This is the funniest and most creative film that Adam McKay has put out since 'Anchorman', and I don't mean that as a bash to all the films in between them.
  32. Mar 20, 2011
    The Other Guys is a very funny, very well-acted, well-directed, and action-packed comedy that redeems Will Ferrell for Step Brothers. And it also redeems Marky Mark for Max Payne and the Happening.
  33. Aug 12, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Just like Thelma and Louise, who drove their 1964 Ford Convertible into the Grand Canyon, Highsmith(Samuel L. Jackson) and Danson(Dwayne Johnson) commit suicide, when the former says, "Aim for the bushes," just before they plunge to their deaths from a high building. It's an inside joke; they can't aim for the "bushes" anymore. It's Highsmith who says, "All the sex we don't have with women but we have to," at a press conference celebrating their latest heroics. Highsmith's bragging, a self-homage to he and his partner's legendary cocksmanship with the ladies, also has a double meaning, which becomes self-evident after their shocking demise. The reckless abandon that both men had brought to their pursuing of the drug dealers at the film's outset, now looks less like bravery, and more like a death wish. Homoeroticism, after all, is an open secret when "buddy movies" are concerned, but normally, such bromance innuendos are relegated to the subtext, a laughing matter. But the machismo of Highsmith and Danson seems so excessive, so flamboyantly straight, their virility quickly turns into burlesque. Played for laughs, "The Other Guys", on one level, satirizes every action film in which the hero seems impervious to bodily harm, regardless of the circumstances. Highsmith and Danson, surely, will land on their feet, like cats with nine lives, no matter what they do. On another level, "The Other Guys" has a subtextual level that rises(the very instant when both cops jump and have no place to land) and intertwines itself with the surface of the official narrative, in which the fall then transforms itself into a lovers' leap, so the tragedy of closeted ladies' men who live up to the "Shaft" myth stealthily exists alongside the parodic intent to lampoon the hyper-masculinity of heterosexual men with guns. On the other hand, the other guys, in particular, Allen(Will Ferrell), is straight, even though he pushes paper and carries around a wooden gun. When his partner Terry(Mark Wahlberg) doubts his heterosexuality, Allen pistol-whips him on the nose. Expand
  34. Jun 13, 2011
    What a movie,there is no movie that throws you off from the beginning with Samuel Jackson and the Rock then flips the scipt.I've seen this movie over 10 times and It just gets funnier every time.Will Ferrel just is out of this world funny with Mark Wahlberg.The Acting,expressions,movements, everything is spot on and a different kind of funny.It's smart without going over the top,great movie!
  35. Aug 21, 2010
    This is the funniest movie hands down. Adam Mckay did a fantastic job on directing. Will and Mark were so funny together, and the screenplay was great. By far the best film of the year.
  36. Oct 16, 2010
    I went to see this film with low expectations but from the off there are just laughs after laughs after laughs. This film is a truly good film which you will remember for years to come.
  37. Sep 4, 2010
    The Other Guys is a great movie. However it resembles the TV police reality show COPS more than a TV mystery series or a detective movie. See it at your own risk.
  38. Mar 27, 2011
    There aren't that many jokes in this film, it tries to be one long joke but it doesn't work for me. I'm a fan of Will Ferrell since Anchorman and Mark Wahlberg tries his best to make this film work (he's the funniest thing in it I think), it just doesn't quite pop thats all. Not bad, not a classic.
  39. Jul 14, 2013
    While I do not think this is a great comedy by any means, I still think it is an enjoyable film with good humor and good acting, which makes it worth a watch.
  40. Oct 9, 2010
    "The Other Guys is a rambunctious comedy that shows us the buddy-cop genre is not dead. I feel the talents here were wasted at times , Also that it did drag on , I did laugh here and there at this PG13 rated satire so i enjoyed the film in moderation" .. B
  41. Jan 18, 2011
    Even though the last part seemed to run out of steam, there was enough positive energy in most of the film that it leaves you with a sweet taste in your mouth.
  42. Nov 14, 2010
    I liked it, it was actually a refreshing film.
    There were some funny moments in the movie, Mark Wahlberg and Will Ferrell did a hilarious job.

SPOILERS!!!!

The part that made me laugh my head off is when they do good cop bad cop but Will does bad cop bad cop I was laughing so hard I was like crying! Great movie
  43. May 11, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Other Guys tells the story of Officers Terry Hoitz (Mark Whalberg) and Allen Gamble (Will Ferrell) who aren't the hero cops that the police department idolize, they're merely the Other Guys. The main guys, Danson (The Rock/Dwayne Johnson) and Highsmith (SAMUEL L JACKSON!) set the film alight with their testosterone fuelled opening sequence of brilliance, complete with brilliant lines such as "Did somebody call 91-Holy **** and "You have the right to remain silent, but I wanna hear you scream!". Using a bus to slingshot a car into druggie bad guys and into a store, causing an explosion, now THATS an opening sequence. Martin and Fosse are the rivals of Hoitz and Gamble, leading to a silent fight at a wake with characters whispering insults and momentarily stopping to pay condolences. They also get some killer dialogue, whether its cornering a villian ("I hope you like the taste of prison food...and penis") or talking about their weekend. "So then what happened?" "What do you think happened? I woke up, I took the belt off my neck, got in my car, and got out of there." "Talk about a wild weekend" "I thought I was going to have to shoot my way out, hahahaha ...what are you going to do though, you know ...bar mitzvah's" They have an especially funny scene in a classroom of 10 year olds, which is probably my favourite scene in the film, and their retorts about the coke-covered car were especially funny. Of course, the two main characters get their share of funny dialogue also, whether its Will Ferrells quote about how a tuna would beat a lion in a fight or groaning about how walking away from explosions are BS. Its not just the quotes which are funny about them, as Gamble is revealed to have shot Derek Jeter in a flashback ("He's a bi-racial angel") and Terry gets his gun taken away and given a wooden gun, only to have the wooden gun taken and given a rape whistle. All of the actors play their roles well, (after Planet of the Apes and The Happening, you'll be surprised Mark Whalberg plays a role well) and Steve Coogan definatley does well as the troubled business man. Even the one scene characters like Christinith and her hairy (or not) husband do well when they are showed, even if they provide nothing to the plot but comedic foil. As you can see, I loved a lot about this film. But not everything worked. Bits that didn't work for me? The relationship between Terry and his wife (Eva Mendez) wasn't really funny, it was essentially him saying his hot wife was plain and treated her unspectacularly. Granted, I liked their last scene where he made amends with her and admitted he couldn't believe she was with him, and sending the granny out to relay their dirty messages had me laughing, but the bits before didn't make me laugh. Making Terry a pimp back in college seems to be an idea which is great when you say it out loud, but when executed you seem a little dissapointed. Also, Will Ferrell didn't even convince as a college guy, he just looked like a 40 something man retaking college, but thats a minor niggle. Also, the scene where Allen is jealous over his wife taking ballet with another guy (I assume that was her instructor). Will Ferrell livened up that scene, and Allens good ballet dancing was a laughable surprise, but the rest of the scene just didn't work for me. All in all, this film isn't as good as Anchorman, but it certainly beats the dire Cop-Out. Definately a brilliant action comedy Expand
  44. Oct 23, 2010
    The two leads (Mark Wahlberg and Will Ferrell) have a dynamism and a rare genuine chemistry that is so rare in the movies today, and they are funny in clever ways too.
  45. Jul 22, 2011
    WOW! This movie is laugh out loud funny throughout. I have seen comedies go dull after the opening 20 minutes but not this one. First off, the funniest character in this movie is the one you wouldn't expect. Mark Wahlberg creates a new image for himself with "The Other Guys." We have all seen his movies and without a doubt, he has the acting skill, but who knew he was so funny! He will have more comedy roles due to this one, and I am looking forward to seeing them. The story behind "The Other Guys" is kind of dark. How big-time business men rob hard-working americans of their lifetime services just to cover losses. Wahlberg and Farrell are the cops behind-the-scenes who protect us from them, and they are just hilarious while they do so. The Captain's TLC references had me laughing for days and have become punch-lines to almost any joke you can think of. Priceless movie and an instant classic. 10/10 Expand
  46. Nov 10, 2010
    Very funny flick. Pretty much what you'd expect out of a cop comedy. Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg deliver. One of the films you can watch over and over.
  47. Nov 10, 2010
    The Other Guys wasn't that funny. I mean, I had a few chuckles, but still. I didn't felt that it was a comedy, it was more like just two guys investigating, with some jokes added in the film, witch confused me. The movie was boring and I didn't remember much after seeing it. Is not worth to watch. The trailer made the film seemed awesome, but really, this movie wasn't so great.
  48. Nov 17, 2010
    The most entertaining thing about this film was the Rage Against the Machine song in the end credits, for that it gains a solitary point, it is so without merit. Who reviewed this film?! How is it positive?

-edit- I know know... you accidentally press submit on 10.
  49. Mar 12, 2011
    Words are wasted on this one...truly awful. A fat Samuel Jackson, the worst performance of Mark Wahlberg's career, as a matter of fact, you need to only watch the first five minutes of this nonsense to get a sense for how bad it is, because it sure never gets any better...
  50. Dec 4, 2010
    While the movie contains cheap laughs and ridiculous jokes, it has a surprisingly nice collaboration between Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg. Usually a cop buddy comedy falls short on comedy and fall out on gags, but this is actually a nice movie that you can enjoy your evening with.
  51. Mar 10, 2011
    This isn't your basic buddy cop movie, with a surprisingly deep plot, and moments that will have you rolling on the floor, of course we expected Will Farrel to be a socially awkward person, but his partner really compliments him not because he's a complete opposite, but because he's not the most mentally stable person either, in my eyes Will Farrel has finally redeemed himself in my eyes.
  52. Aug 13, 2011
    I watched this movie with high expectations but I was let down to be honest. It started out with a bang but then it slowed down a little. There were some bits that got me laughing but overall this movie was mediocre at worst.
  53. Jan 1, 2011
    I have never been compelled to write a review before."the other guys" movie review is on true emotion. This movie from the first 5 minutes made me physically sick. I felt like literally vomiting and just sitting in it completely shocked at what I had to just edure. the other guys was by far the most tragic piece of rotting garbage ever able to weasal its way to the big screen. I have never felt the urge to 100% despise whoever is allowed to have authority to direct something this shockingly apauling and revolting.

For those of you who did not make it through highschool i understand how you can rate this above a 0, for the other guys, lol, who gave reviews above 5, I am seriously concerned and scared for the phisical well being of your brains. I honestly may start going to church now just to pray for the sickness you must be going through everyday of your lives. Please ask for help, thats what its there for .

When actors of this magnitude are allowed to "join forces" to co-create a "masterpiece" such as this , we as a society need to be ashamed we fund hideous movies that make us all a little "or alot" dumber.

Let me save you the 2 hours you may actually make it through this disaster and realize when you come out of your stupidity induced coma that you are still alive and breathing. I hope this helps and I wish everyone a great new year!

ps. I am writing this review 20 minutes into the movie in a horrific and vengeful rage. Please understand I only rented this as there was nothing left in redbox and I am ashamed and embarassed I did. Please dont waste your 99cents at the redbox a you are better off getting a mcdouble, you will get more meaning out of that!
  54. Jan 16, 2011
    Ferrell saves this film with his uptight accountant character antagonizing the mean aggressive character of Wahlberg. Ferrell and Wahlberg bring laughs with the sillyness and stupidity of the plot. A film that will hit home for the casual pothead and make the avid movie watcher bored and tired. A mixed effort that works if you have 120 minutes of time you have to waste.
  55. Jan 28, 2011
    This movie was horrible! It seems like they had no script and Will Farell is just making it up as he goes along. And what he makes up isn't funny and doesn't even make sense. Mark Wahlberg's acting is atrocious! He is not funny at all! I was so bored and couldn't even get through it. Save your time.
  56. Jan 26, 2011
    This is a terrible movie. Do yourself a favor and don't waste your time. It gets mediocre reviews only because Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg are in it, but they're pretty lousy too.
  57. Jan 12, 2011
    I'll forgo some synopsis of an obvious light-hearted comedy. Ferrell and Wahlberg are very good throughout and Mendez is wonderful eye candy. All I can say is "desk-pop"!
  58. Feb 2, 2011
    I was very disappointed with this film!!! It was surprisingly dry for a comedy!!! Their must have been a lot of inside jokes or I just identify with some the "humor"(and I say that likely) in this film. At one point I think I actually yawned a little bit. Bottom line, this film was a snoozer, so WATCH AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

Acting: Blah
    Storyline: Stupid
    Characters: Forgettable
  59. Feb 28, 2011
    McKay and Ferrell have created another comedic treat and whilst it may not be on quite the same level as some previous hits, it's definitely an entertaining and hilarious ride that should be high up the "to-view" list.
  60. Feb 8, 2011
    I love Will Ferrell but this movie was awful. Full of painfully unfunny ad libbing, it reminded me of the truly terrible Semi-Pro . I really do like Ferrell's ad-libs normally - it's what makes him so great, but this movie seemed to have no structured script whatsoever. I am amazed none of the critics gave negative reviews. The sizable number of mixed and negative user reviews tell a truer story. Oh, and Steve Coogan's ticket joke was nicked out of Smack The Pony. Expand
  61. Feb 11, 2012
    This film wasn't hilarious, but it was still pretty funny. Will Ferrell is great as the "good cop" and Mark Wahlberg is also great as the jack-ass "bad cop". This film has a good few laugh- out loud moments and its even funny now, and I've seen it three times.
  62. Aug 12, 2011
    Cliche ridden romp yet enjoyable movie. Wahlberg, Coogan, Keaton and Ferrell are funny but the rest of the cast is a bit of a let down and if you're expecting the usual Ferrell comedy like Anchorman or Step Brothers then you may be disappointed.
  63. Apr 17, 2011
    This movie is an all time classic. I was absoutely hysterical and left in tears by the hilarity of this movie. The combination of the toughness of Mark Wahlberg and the wimpyness and funnyness of Will Ferrell means that this film was a classic from the start. The Other Guys is an absolute gem of a film and should go down in history as one of the funniest films ever created. Well Done.
  64. Oct 3, 2011
    As we've come to expect from an Adam McKay film, The Other Guys is thoroughly ridiculous and extremely funny. Part satire, part sitcom and part surreal action-comedy, it's a strange combination, but McKay somehow manages to get the balance just right. It's not as original as Anchorman, but also not as goofy and odd as Talledega Nights - it's probably McKay's most accessible and easy to enjoy film. While Ferrell's performance is far from his best (though by no means bad), the screen is dominated by a captivating comedy performance by Michael Keaton in his best role since Jackie Brown. Wahlberg also impresses, and his role as an under-appreciated and short-tempered detective gives him plenty to sink his teeth into. However, quite what Steve Coogan and Ray Stevenson (with bad Australian accent) are doing in the film at all is beyond me. There are some good jokes and some nice pop-culture references, and as a whole the film is very entertaining, even if it goes on for a bit too long and the plot meanders towards the end. McKay may never top Anchorman, but The Other Guys comes pretty close. Expand
  65. j30
    Sep 22, 2011
    It has it's really funny moments, but it's too far and in between.
  66. Sep 4, 2011
    As usual with Ferrell/McKay productions, there are scenes that you can tell are obviously full of improvised dialogue. This may not be one of Ferrell's best, but it's certainly very funny. It is rude, bizarre, and the best cop action parody since Hot Fuzz. Mark Wahlberg also impresses with his comedic turn.
  67. May 26, 2012
    The Other Guys takes advantage of its buddy cop theme much better than Cop Out did. Its much funnier and the characters are much more likeable.
  68. Nov 10, 2011
    Great movie. I couldn't stop laughing when Will Farrel shouted, "I'm gonna make you eat a plate of human sh*t!!!!" It does need some improvements because some parts are kinda stupid. But overall, it's great.
  69. May 31, 2013
    The Other Guys relies on the viewer to understand a particular type of comedy, while also being filmed as a homage to older crime drapers on film and TV, and the actors involved make this one of the best comedies in the last few years.
    That cast includes the ever expanding filmography of Will Ferrell, with his slow delivered wit and improvisation skills at their best, the surprisingly
    hilarious comedy of Mark Whalberg and the legendary Michael Keaton, a cast that prove time and time again that comedy doesn't have to stem entirely from sexual endeavours and crude delivery.
    Ferrell and Whalberg play the titled characters Allen Gamble and Terry Hoitz, desk jockeys within NYPD, Allen is content with pleasing everyone, no toe treading, Hoitz on the other hand wants the thrill of the chase, and from there the film does play out predictably, but not without its wonderful one-liners, hilarious and over the top occurrences that simply get better and better. When they unknowingly happen upon a massive Ponzi scheme that reveals more information that they wanted in the first place.
    The array of pop culture references and Hoitz's comparisons to Allen's feline nature are side-splitting ("When you pee in the urinal, it sounds feminine"). Don't worry, the film is full of them.
    Where the film differentiates from the pack is its continuation of jokes, they don't stop at the punchline but instead progress it brilliantly into the story, where everything is topsy turvy, Ferrell is the unintentional ladies man, with the gorgeous wife Sheila (Eva Mendes) who he treats as ordinary, this runs as a continuous joke throughout the film, the film just fluidly runs well by its own ridiculous nature.
    The true distraction is the backdrop of a Ponzi scheme, quite a serious matter, but this is painted clearer through the hapless leads.
    This is the true comedy of the film, as Whalberg and Ferrell make an undeniably brilliant comedic duo, as if they truly do sit in a bar and discuss these things in reality. It has plenty of heart and of course exaggerated characters, which pokes fun at many other sob story films, but ultimately comes out on top from a strong cast, including small roles from Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and Samuel L. Jackson.
    The characters make this film what it is, with a callback to similar genre films that make this an undeniable hit.
  70. Dec 19, 2011
    I was suprised that it was as good as it was. Wahlberg is definently a good fit with Ferrell and they make a great comedy duo. Its an enjoyable comedy and well worth watching.
  71. Aug 24, 2014
    A very unfunny comedy about two paper-pushing cops that never really got their chance to stand in the limelight - unlike some other daredevil cops who can do anything, and the public is still eating out of their hand. Yet with the two daredevil cops suddenly jumping to their death, someone has to fill their shoes. Every cop in town wants to do that. Only few of them succeed.

Allen
    Gamble (Will Ferrell) loves to do the paperwork, has a tendency to attract hot women for some reason (hence a very hot wife at home), and has many oddities about him. After a half an hour, he was annoying rather than entertaining.

Terry Hoitz (Mark Wahlberg) keeps exploding all over the place, frustrated that one screw-up cost him his glorious career. He's impatient, hot-headed and out of control - but in the end, that isn't very funny either.

The only great thing about this movie was Ray Stevenson, whose character was badass with a lovely accent.
    With some standard chaos-humor, this movie didn't bring in anything new or exciting, and maybe it was just me, but the humor didn't work.
  72. Jan 24, 2012
    The film is hilarious through out and its definently one of the better comedies to come out in 2010. Ferrell and Wahlberg make a great team and I hope they make a sequel to this.
  73. Feb 6, 2012
    This is my favorite movie of all time. I liked shows like Psych and the Good Guys which are like this. There are so many quotes from this movie which makes it great.
  74. Mar 5, 2012
    Maybe I have a strange sense of what's funny and what's not, but aside from 1 or 2 chuckles, I sat thru this film stoney-faced. Rather than sophisticated humor and wit, the film tries to survive on slapstick and just plain stupidity/silliness, most of which was so un-funny, it actually made me squirm uncomfortably in my chair, bored and actually embarrassed for the people that spent time and money making this movie. Best example: The "FBI Mug" scene in the car... Ferrell keeps repeating the "Female Body Inspector" thing over and over-- It wasn't even funny the 1st time. When Wahlberg throws the mug out the window, I realized that somehow, that was meant to be the rib-splitting climax of the scene, and I just sat there staring, thinking "Omigod"! To me, I hesitate to rent comedies, because they're either truly funny, or (more often than not) simply painful. "The Other Guys" is a glaring example of the second category. Personally, I'd rather watch "Seinfeld" reruns.. now THAT is actually the kind of humor I can laugh out loud to! Expand
  75. Jun 25, 2012
    Only in a film by Adam McKay will you see scenes involving cubicle flute-playing, willful self-stabbing, and testicle drum-rubbing portrayed with such passion. And only a man named Will Ferrell will do all these acts just because he can. The Other Guys succeeds in further extending McKay's and Ferrell's track record for being the most haphazardly ambitious comedians in Hollywood.

A
    quarter pound of illegal drugs needs to be recovered, and twelve million dollars worth of property damage later, they are recovered. No thanks are due to New York City's **** detectives Danson and Highsmith, who are uproariously played by Dwayne Johnson and Samuel L. Jackson. But they are not what this movie is about. Living beneath, far beneath their shadows are Allen Gamble and Terry Hoitz.

Read more here: http://localmoviereview.com/the-other-guys/
  76. Jan 27, 2013
    A nice mix of a buddy cop movie with a comedy, The Other Guys has hilarious characters and dialogues and admirable action scenes. Not the best comedy ever, but it still offers plenty of laughs.
  77. Aug 24, 2012
    I enjoyed this film in parts and whilst I love both actors, I just felt as if this move required too few a brain cells. I could literally feel my mind being numbed down by the sheer stupidity of Will Ferrell's character. It could have been a lot better but it could have been a little worse. I am sure the masses will preach this as being a great film but I know I didn't enjoy it as much as the hype that surrounded it would have me believe that I did. Expand
  78. Aug 26, 2012
    I agree with the user rucknrun, this movie was awful, absolutely awful:- Will Ferrell was lame and boring, Mark was yelling all the time, Dwayne Johnson and Samuel L Jackson's very short scenes didn't make sense at all. and the movie just drags on and on with failed humor attempts and a very unappealing cast, i was watching it with my friend and we both hoped it will end soon, we eventually turned it off !!
    if u ever get your hands on a DVD of it, remove it right away, it's a terrible movie !!!
  79. Nov 7, 2012
    Another very funny collaboration between Will Ferrel and Adam McKay. I look forward to their next film.
  80. Nov 28, 2012
    Fairly entertaining, but slightly confusing comedy that's isn't quite sure what it wants to be. Though, in the end, "The Other Guys" proves to be a worthy addition to Will Ferrel's repertoire.
  81. Jan 12, 2013
    Thought it might be an OK comedy but there is very little to like about this film. From the unlikable characters to even the unlikable actors (who are usually much better) and a rather silly storyline that got confusing. It has some good laughs and that's where most of the rating will come from, but as a whole it's a fairly messy movie with overdone jokes and bad performances from both Will Ferrell & Mark Wahlberg. Overall it's OK but certainly not one worth rushing out to go and see. Expand
  82. Apr 6, 2013
    I will admit that I am not a fan of Will Ferrell whatsoever. I feel that his movies come off as stupid and tasteless. However, I felt that Will Ferrell, in this movie, meshes very well with Mark Wahlberg to create an incredibly funny comedy duo. Their character mesh so well together, as Will is an easy going guy who doesn't like intensity, but Mark is a cop who wants fame and will do anything to get it. These guys are great. However, they aren't the only characters that shine. Even though they do not appear for that long in the movie, the Rock and Samuel L. Jackson are hilarious together. This is a very funny movie with an interesting plot that I recommend you check out. Expand
  83. Apr 8, 2013
    the other guys is a great comedy movie i loved the jokes and the scripts so much that i have seen it 10 times until now and i still find it funny it's really amusing to see Mark Wahlberg in a comedy movie it's proves that he can do much better every time and Will Ferrell was funny as usual people were arguing that the jokes was half-funny and the movie wasn't full with comedy i didn't feel all that however i saw the movie bloopers and somehow they had a lot of jokes that didn't work out so they removed it from the Blue ray version so i think that the producer didn't push them into these scenes however this might be the reason why the movie is funny. Expand
  84. Mar 19, 2014
    This movie has a strong start with laugh after laugh but it cannot contain this for the second half of the film. Mark Wahlberg and Will Ferrell are great together and some of their arguments are going to be classics in our generations movie history (tuna vs lion). I give this movie a 64.9 out of 100.
  85. Apr 30, 2014
    This film is hilarious, I have seen it so many times. Mark Wahlberg is outstanding as the straight guy to Will Ferrell. The fact that Dwayne Johnson and Samuel L Jackson are in the film but not the main stars is brilliant and I will now never look at the Toyota Prius the same!!
  86. Mar 9, 2014
    The Other Guys is downright hilarious at points, sometimes overstaying its welcome. It's entertaining, but sometimes stupid. It's story is fresh, but sometimes a little dry.
  87. Jan 19, 2014
    This is a comedy movie worth spending time on. It's so funny that you surely can't take your eyes off the screen once you start to watch - mainly thanks to the assured comic chemistry between Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg.
  88. Dec 28, 2013
    The Other Guys is not a film that will be included on any "Best Movie Ever" lists anytime soon, but that does not mean that this action comedy is not good at what it tries to do. Very similar to other Will Ferrell films like Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, The Other Guys revels in over-the-top ridiculousness, but manages to come across as a well put together film at the same time. Honestly though, this movie would not even be half as good if anyone had been cast instead of Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg. My only complaint is that the crude humor can get a little overwhelming at times, but this never breaks the rhythm of this great comedy that deserves far more praise than it gets. Expand
  89. Dec 31, 2013
    This was a very funny movie. Mark wahlburg was very funny. It was a fun movie, and came at a time when will Farrell's humor wasn't yet tiresome. Some classic jokes.
  90. Jan 14, 2014
    One of the funniest movies I've seen in years. Watched it a few times and burst out laughing every time. But it's not a "universally funny" movie. You need to enjoy non-sequiturs, and enjoy being blindsided by unpredictable humor - if you don't, you wont understand why its funny. If you're expecting Anchorman (or Taladega Nights, which I hated), dont - this is nothing like it. Those relied on obvious humor, this relies on the unexpected - it relies on you thinking one thing and it presents another. Its a pretty polarizing movie - in the same cinema, some people were rolling around their seats laughing, while others were looking at them wondering what they were laughing at. Similarly, the reviews here are mostly either very positive or very negative. If you *need* obvious linear gags, you will not like this.

By far one of my favorite comedies and well worth a rewatch, but definitely not for everyone.

1. Here the filmmakers are in fine fettle, which goes a long way to make much of the low-brow silliness and slapstick infectious.
  2. Reviewed by: James White
    Skewers the action genre while also finding room for sheer madness. We've still yet to see the equal of Ron Burgundy, but this latest offering is a wonky yet worthy addition to the McKay/Ferrell pantheon.
  3. Reviewed by: Randy Cordova
    A surprising, laugh-out-loud take on the old buddy-cop genre. It's sneaky and smartly funny, offering an almost perfect balance of action and comedy. That's the good news. Then there's the matter of the movie's disheartening final 25 minutes.