The Other Guys

6.8

1. Aug 11, 2010
    Definitely not McKay and Ferrel's best, but it kept a smile on my face the whole time. Marky mark also did a fine job but i don't think this is his comeback. I went to a bad screening because no one was laughing but me, but it didn't matter.
  2. Oct 25, 2010
    Este vehiculo de lucimiento de Will Ferrell tiene unos cuantos buenos gags diseminados a lo largo de casi dos horas de duracion. No es un buen porcentaje de bateo, la verdad sea dicha. Ademas, Mark Whalberg, como patiño de Ferrell, no resulta particularmente gracioso.
  3. Aug 16, 2010
    When I first saw the trailers for The Other Guys, almost every single cinema cell within me screamed "that movie will be terrible!" Granted I'd just recently suffered through the injustice that was Cop Out, and you know what they say about a movie-lover scorned, but nothing about this movie looked good to me. Then the reviews started sneaking out, and they were trending surprisinglyWhen I first saw the trailers for The Other Guys, almost every single cinema cell within me screamed "that movie will be terrible!" Granted I'd just recently suffered through the injustice that was Cop Out, and you know what they say about a movie-lover scorned, but nothing about this movie looked good to me. Then the reviews started sneaking out, and they were trending surprisingly positive. Not just "this is okay for a summer yukfest" positive but "this is one of Will Ferrell's best movies ever!" positive. On opening night, it was certified fresh on Rotten Tomatoes, with a score in the low 80s. Second only to Elf (2003). That's a better score than Talladega Nights (2006), Stranger than Fiction (2006), Wedding Crashers (2005), Anchorman (2004) and Old School (2003). Take a look at that list again. "Wow," you might be thinking, as I did the other night. "I must have got it all wrong. This movie must be pretty awesome!" Nope. Nope it isn't. I mean yeah, it's alright. But I'd say it's worse than every one of the Ferrell flicks listed above, save Talladega Nights, which is equally hit or miss. More: http://cinewise.blogspot.com/2010/08/other-guys-2010.html Expand
  4. Sep 5, 2010
    This movie was a little different from the average cop-buddy film and that is good. There were some funny parts but much of the funny stuff was just kind of stupid and only mildly funny . Most of the funny jokes were way over played and repeated several times throughout the film, they were funny once but after two, three, or more times they were a snooze. The characters were somehat odd,This movie was a little different from the average cop-buddy film and that is good. There were some funny parts but much of the funny stuff was just kind of stupid and only mildly funny . Most of the funny jokes were way over played and repeated several times throughout the film, they were funny once but after two, three, or more times they were a snooze. The characters were somehat odd, Michael Keaton played a soft spoken chief and just was not funny, Mark W's character was even more odd at time. I would definitely wait for the dvd Expand
  5. Sep 4, 2010
    Didn't really do it for me. I'm a big Ferrell and Wahlberg but them together didn't seem right. Mark is really talented but not very funny. Will Ferrell is Will Ferrell. I enjoy his parts in the movie but the movie as a whole wasn't all that great. It had some good quotable lines but that's about it.
  6. Nov 29, 2010
    I must say i was disapointed by the movie. It wasn't that fun, yes it was fun at some points, but for me it just missed the complete plot. It was very confusing, and moved a lot. It seemed like they took an actionmovie, and tried to make it as funny as possible. But failed, and there for ended up with a bad action movie with tasteless humour.
  7. Jan 12, 2013
    Thought it might be an OK comedy but there is very little to like about this film. From the unlikable characters to even the unlikable actors (who are usually much better) and a rather silly storyline that got confusing. It has some good laughs and that's where most of the rating will come from, but as a whole it's a fairly messy movie with overdone jokes and bad performances from bothThought it might be an OK comedy but there is very little to like about this film. From the unlikable characters to even the unlikable actors (who are usually much better) and a rather silly storyline that got confusing. It has some good laughs and that's where most of the rating will come from, but as a whole it's a fairly messy movie with overdone jokes and bad performances from both Will Ferrell & Mark Wahlberg. Overall it's OK but certainly not one worth rushing out to go and see. Expand
  8. Aug 9, 2010
    Didn't turn out as great as I was hoping having loved some of Will Ferrell's classics (Elf, Anchorman and Talledega Nights). Went to see this movie Sat 8/7/10 around 7pm and it was showing on 3 screens in a 20-screen complex. Next two showings of the movie were sold out so we (wife and 3 sons) skipped it but had high hopes given its popularity. Returned Sunday evening again at 7pm and theDidn't turn out as great as I was hoping having loved some of Will Ferrell's classics (Elf, Anchorman and Talledega Nights). Went to see this movie Sat 8/7/10 around 7pm and it was showing on 3 screens in a 20-screen complex. Next two showings of the movie were sold out so we (wife and 3 sons) skipped it but had high hopes given its popularity. Returned Sunday evening again at 7pm and the showing was half-full; important because great comedies are even better when a big audience is howling. While the movie was ok, it never had that bust-a-gut scene that Ferrell is capable of. That said, Ferrell was much better than Wahlberg, who's character range was close to zero. You can wait for DVD on this one. Expand
  9. MilesR
    Aug 8, 2010
    I was concerned about the wide variation in ratings, which made me wonder whether this movie would even be worth the price of a matinee ticket. Rest assured, the exciting and creative action sequences end within the first 15 minutes of the film. Overall, the plot of the film is lukewarm and uncreative. Of course, the major concern with a film such as this one is the comedy. There were a I was concerned about the wide variation in ratings, which made me wonder whether this movie would even be worth the price of a matinee ticket. Rest assured, the exciting and creative action sequences end within the first 15 minutes of the film. Overall, the plot of the film is lukewarm and uncreative. Of course, the major concern with a film such as this one is the comedy. There were a handful of funny scenes, but nothing that will cause you to have a sore abdomen in the morning. Expand
  10. Aug 11, 2010
    Ferrell is capable of huge comic performances, however The Other Guys was not that performance. There were not enough funny lines in this film by either Ferrell or Wahlberg, and I found my self waiting for the funny stuff in between the movie itself. It felt like there was a sub-par story that took way too long to tell, and inside the telling of this story I waited impatiently for theFerrell is capable of huge comic performances, however The Other Guys was not that performance. There were not enough funny lines in this film by either Ferrell or Wahlberg, and I found my self waiting for the funny stuff in between the movie itself. It felt like there was a sub-par story that took way too long to tell, and inside the telling of this story I waited impatiently for the next bout of comic relief (which happened way to infrequently). My expectations of Ferrell are set based on the antics in Talladega Nights, Anchorman, and Step Brothers, but at no point within this movie was Ferrell able to take over and put his hilarious signature on it. Eva Longorio was the best part of this movie, while the "hot girls love Ferrell's character" joke was just not that funny after the Eva Longorio dinner scene. I don't recommend this film, nor will I likely watch it again on DVD.

Waiting for Anchorman 2 instead.
  11. JasonK
    Aug 7, 2010
    Had high expectations for The Other Guys. They were not met.
  12. BillC.
    Aug 8, 2010
    The jokes are the kind that you have to force yourself to laugh at , and the stunts are too over the top to be believed. O.K. , it had a few good laughs , but my expectations were much higher. The talent was up there , but the story was just lame.
  13. Aug 16, 2010
    Agree with Los Angeles Times
    Reviewed by: Betsy Sharkey
  14. Dec 13, 2010
    I have never been a huge fan of Will Ferrell for all intensive purposes I actually loathe him(as an actor), you see Ferrell is like a dog who got out of his back yard and now has no idea where to go or what to do. All he knows is that he is free, free to roam around, free to chase cars. Just like a dog chasing a car, Ferrell never really learns when enough is enough. In "Talladega Nights:I have never been a huge fan of Will Ferrell for all intensive purposes I actually loathe him(as an actor), you see Ferrell is like a dog who got out of his back yard and now has no idea where to go or what to do. All he knows is that he is free, free to roam around, free to chase cars. Just like a dog chasing a car, Ferrell never really learns when enough is enough. In "Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby" Ferrell plays an idiotic simpleton with one dream to go fast!!! So does Ricky Bobby. The main problem with "Talladega Nights" is that it relies on idiotic antics to induce laughter when there is no laughter to give. Adam McKay's "The Other Guys" is in some ways like "Talladega Nights" it follows two bungling New York City detectives Detective Allen Gamble(Will Ferrell) and his volatile partner Detective Terry Hoitz(a funnier than expected Mark Wahlberg) are two mismatched cops hot on the trail of a corporate conspiracy. That essentially is the plot of the entire film in a nutshell, through out most of the picture Gamble and Hoitz are running around aimlessly trying to piece together a conspiracy that to a normal person would seem paper-thin but too gamble and Hoitz itâ Expand
  15. Aug 11, 2010
    Will Ferrell, with his stock (semi retarded?) character is turning into an American 'Mister Bean.' Have you seen one of his other movies? Then you've seen this one, except this one gets 'preachy' at the end, a sure sign a Hollywood actor is getting too comfortable and stale. Unfortunately, Mark Wahlberg is along for the ride and can't get the seatbelt to unfasten.
  16. Sep 4, 2010
    Ferrell and Wahlberg do the best they can with the material they've been given but it's never enough to really hold your attention and it's never enough to really make this film worth the price of admission alone.
  17. Jan 16, 2011
    Ferrell saves this film with his uptight accountant character antagonizing the mean aggressive character of Wahlberg. Ferrell and Wahlberg bring laughs with the sillyness and stupidity of the plot. A film that will hit home for the casual pothead and make the avid movie watcher bored and tired. A mixed effort that works if you have 120 minutes of time you have to waste.
  18. j30
    Sep 22, 2011
    It has it's really funny moments, but it's too far and in between.
  19. Mar 27, 2011
    There aren't that many jokes in this film, it tries to be one long joke but it doesn't work for me. I'm a fan of Will Ferrell since Anchorman and Mark Wahlberg tries his best to make this film work (he's the funniest thing in it I think), it just doesn't quite pop thats all. Not bad, not a classic.
  20. Oct 23, 2010
    The two leads (Mark Wahlberg and Will Ferrell) have a dynamism and a rare genuine chemistry that is so rare in the movies today, and they are funny in clever ways too.
  21. Nov 10, 2010
    The Other Guys wasn't that funny. I mean, I had a few chuckles, but still. I didn't felt that it was a comedy, it was more like just two guys investigating, with some jokes added in the film, witch confused me. The movie was boring and I didn't remember much after seeing it. Is not worth to watch. The trailer made the film seemed awesome, but really, this movie wasn't so great.
  22. Dec 4, 2010
    While the movie contains cheap laughs and ridiculous jokes, it has a surprisingly nice collaboration between Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg. Usually a cop buddy comedy falls short on comedy and fall out on gags, but this is actually a nice movie that you can enjoy your evening with.
  23. Aug 13, 2011
    I watched this movie with high expectations but I was let down to be honest. It started out with a bang but then it slowed down a little. There were some bits that got me laughing but overall this movie was mediocre at worst.
  24. Aug 12, 2011
    Cliche ridden romp yet enjoyable movie. Wahlberg, Coogan, Keaton and Ferrell are funny but the rest of the cast is a bit of a let down and if you're expecting the usual Ferrell comedy like Anchorman or Step Brothers then you may be disappointed.
  25. Aug 24, 2014
    A very unfunny comedy about two paper-pushing cops that never really got their chance to stand in the limelight - unlike some other daredevil cops who can do anything, and the public is still eating out of their hand. Yet with the two daredevil cops suddenly jumping to their death, someone has to fill their shoes. Every cop in town wants to do that. Only few of them succeed.

Allen

Allen Gamble (Will Ferrell) loves to do the paperwork, has a tendency to attract hot women for some reason (hence a very hot wife at home), and has many oddities about him. After a half an hour, he was annoying rather than entertaining.

Terry Hoitz (Mark Wahlberg) keeps exploding all over the place, frustrated that one screw-up cost him his glorious career. He's impatient, hot-headed and out of control - but in the end, that isn't very funny either.

The only great thing about this movie was Ray Stevenson, whose character was badass with a lovely accent.
    With some standard chaos-humor, this movie didn't bring in anything new or exciting, and maybe it was just me, but the humor didn't work.
  26. Aug 24, 2012
    I enjoyed this film in parts and whilst I love both actors, I just felt as if this move required too few a brain cells. I could literally feel my mind being numbed down by the sheer stupidity of Will Ferrell's character. It could have been a lot better but it could have been a little worse. I am sure the masses will preach this as being a great film but I know I didn't enjoy it as much asI enjoyed this film in parts and whilst I love both actors, I just felt as if this move required too few a brain cells. I could literally feel my mind being numbed down by the sheer stupidity of Will Ferrell's character. It could have been a lot better but it could have been a little worse. I am sure the masses will preach this as being a great film but I know I didn't enjoy it as much as the hype that surrounded it would have me believe that I did. Expand
  27. Mar 19, 2014
    This movie has a strong start with laugh after laugh but it cannot contain this for the second half of the film. Mark Wahlberg and Will Ferrell are great together and some of their arguments are going to be classics in our generations movie history (tuna vs lion). I give this movie a 64.9 out of 100.

1. Here the filmmakers are in fine fettle, which goes a long way to make much of the low-brow silliness and slapstick infectious.
  2. Reviewed by: James White
    Skewers the action genre while also finding room for sheer madness. We've still yet to see the equal of Ron Burgundy, but this latest offering is a wonky yet worthy addition to the McKay/Ferrell pantheon.
  3. Reviewed by: Randy Cordova
    A surprising, laugh-out-loud take on the old buddy-cop genre. It's sneaky and smartly funny, offering an almost perfect balance of action and comedy. That's the good news. Then there's the matter of the movie's disheartening final 25 minutes.