6.8

1. Sep 22, 2010
    O wow this movie was funny. That's just it. It was funny. Also i think more movies are coming out in the future with the same type of opposite actor cast type thing that this movie did(i don't know wat you wana call it). For example, i saw a preview of a movie when i went to see the other guys, and it was staring robert downy jr. And the bearded guy from the hangover. So i think were going to see alot more movies like this one. Expand
  2. Aug 20, 2010
    Hands down one of the funniest movies of the summer, if not the year! Ferrell and Wahlberg are a match made in heaven, for their chemistry is spectacular. One of Will Ferrell's funniest movies ever, its up there with Anchorman and Talladega Nights. This movie was so funny that you often miss some of the jokes from laughing at previous ones!
  3. Aug 19, 2010
    The main comedic style of this movie is to set up standard cop movie stereotypes and situations, and then resolve them in utterly unexpected and/or out of character ways. It may not always make sense, but it's always hilarious.

Also much more comedy dense than recent movies, there aren't that many 'slow' parts, and the ones that were there didn't last long. Definitely held interest the
    entire running time.

-1pt for an incomplete plot. The Wahlberg character just isn't given much of a back story outside of a single high-profile screwup, and too much of the main villain's plot happens offscreen.
  4. Aug 22, 2010
    The other guys is a very funny movie. Maybe not will ferell's best but still very funny. It does not have a great story and some parts were just added in for laughs but it was still a very funny movie and personaly i like it.
  5. Aug 11, 2010
    This is the funniest and most creative film that Adam McKay has put out since 'Anchorman', and I don't mean that as a bash to all the films in between them.
  6. Mar 20, 2011
    The Other Guys is a very funny, very well-acted, well-directed, and action-packed comedy that redeems Will Ferrell for Step Brothers. And it also redeems Marky Mark for Max Payne and the Happening.
  7. Jun 13, 2011
    What a movie,there is no movie that throws you off from the beginning with Samuel Jackson and the Rock then flips the scipt.I've seen this movie over 10 times and It just gets funnier every time.Will Ferrel just is out of this world funny with Mark Wahlberg.The Acting,expressions,movements, everything is spot on and a different kind of funny.It's smart without going over the top,great movie!
  8. Aug 21, 2010
    This is the funniest movie hands down. Adam Mckay did a fantastic job on directing. Will and Mark were so funny together, and the screenplay was great. By far the best film of the year.
  9. Oct 16, 2010
    I went to see this film with low expectations but from the off there are just laughs after laughs after laughs. This film is a truly good film which you will remember for years to come.
  10. Sep 4, 2010
    The Other Guys is a great movie. However it resembles the TV police reality show COPS more than a TV mystery series or a detective movie. See it at your own risk.
  11. Jul 22, 2011
    WOW! This movie is laugh out loud funny throughout. I have seen comedies go dull after the opening 20 minutes but not this one. First off, the funniest character in this movie is the one you wouldn't expect. Mark Wahlberg creates a new image for himself with "The Other Guys." We have all seen his movies and without a doubt, he has the acting skill, but who knew he was so funny! He will have more comedy roles due to this one, and I am looking forward to seeing them. The story behind "The Other Guys" is kind of dark. How big-time business men rob hard-working americans of their lifetime services just to cover losses. Wahlberg and Farrell are the cops behind-the-scenes who protect us from them, and they are just hilarious while they do so. The Captain's TLC references had me laughing for days and have become punch-lines to almost any joke you can think of. Priceless movie and an instant classic. 10/10 Expand
  12. Mar 10, 2011
    This isn't your basic buddy cop movie, with a surprisingly deep plot, and moments that will have you rolling on the floor, of course we expected Will Farrel to be a socially awkward person, but his partner really compliments him not because he's a complete opposite, but because he's not the most mentally stable person either, in my eyes Will Farrel has finally redeemed himself in my eyes.
  13. Jan 1, 2011
    I have never been compelled to write a review before."the other guys" movie review is on true emotion. This movie from the first 5 minutes made me physically sick. I felt like literally vomiting and just sitting in it completely shocked at what I had to just edure. the other guys was by far the most tragic piece of rotting garbage ever able to weasal its way to the big screen. I have never felt the urge to 100% despise whoever is allowed to have authority to direct something this shockingly apauling and revolting.

For those of you who did not make it through highschool i understand how you can rate this above a 0, for the other guys, lol, who gave reviews above 5, I am seriously concerned and scared for the phisical well being of your brains. I honestly may start going to church now just to pray for the sickness you must be going through everyday of your lives. Please ask for help, thats what its there for .

When actors of this magnitude are allowed to "join forces" to co-create a "masterpiece" such as this , we as a society need to be ashamed we fund hideous movies that make us all a little "or alot" dumber.

Let me save you the 2 hours you may actually make it through this disaster and realize when you come out of your stupidity induced coma that you are still alive and breathing. I hope this helps and I wish everyone a great new year!

ps. I am writing this review 20 minutes into the movie in a horrific and vengeful rage. Please understand I only rented this as there was nothing left in redbox and I am ashamed and embarassed I did. Please dont waste your 99cents at the redbox a you are better off getting a mcdouble, you will get more meaning out of that!
  14. Apr 17, 2011
    This movie is an all time classic. I was absoutely hysterical and left in tears by the hilarity of this movie. The combination of the toughness of Mark Wahlberg and the wimpyness and funnyness of Will Ferrell means that this film was a classic from the start. The Other Guys is an absolute gem of a film and should go down in history as one of the funniest films ever created. Well Done.
  15. May 26, 2012
    The Other Guys takes advantage of its buddy cop theme much better than Cop Out did. Its much funnier and the characters are much more likeable.
  16. May 31, 2013
    The Other Guys relies on the viewer to understand a particular type of comedy, while also being filmed as a homage to older crime drapers on film and TV, and the actors involved make this one of the best comedies in the last few years.
    That cast includes the ever expanding filmography of Will Ferrell, with his slow delivered wit and improvisation skills at their best, the surprisingly
    hilarious comedy of Mark Whalberg and the legendary Michael Keaton, a cast that prove time and time again that comedy doesn't have to stem entirely from sexual endeavours and crude delivery.
    Ferrell and Whalberg play the titled characters Allen Gamble and Terry Hoitz, desk jockeys within NYPD, Allen is content with pleasing everyone, no toe treading, Hoitz on the other hand wants the thrill of the chase, and from there the film does play out predictably, but not without its wonderful one-liners, hilarious and over the top occurrences that simply get better and better. When they unknowingly happen upon a massive Ponzi scheme that reveals more information that they wanted in the first place.
    The array of pop culture references and Hoitz's comparisons to Allen's feline nature are side-splitting ("When you pee in the urinal, it sounds feminine"). Don't worry, the film is full of them.
    Where the film differentiates from the pack is its continuation of jokes, they don't stop at the punchline but instead progress it brilliantly into the story, where everything is topsy turvy, Ferrell is the unintentional ladies man, with the gorgeous wife Sheila (Eva Mendes) who he treats as ordinary, this runs as a continuous joke throughout the film, the film just fluidly runs well by its own ridiculous nature.
    The true distraction is the backdrop of a Ponzi scheme, quite a serious matter, but this is painted clearer through the hapless leads.
    This is the true comedy of the film, as Whalberg and Ferrell make an undeniably brilliant comedic duo, as if they truly do sit in a bar and discuss these things in reality. It has plenty of heart and of course exaggerated characters, which pokes fun at many other sob story films, but ultimately comes out on top from a strong cast, including small roles from Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and Samuel L. Jackson.
    The characters make this film what it is, with a callback to similar genre films that make this an undeniable hit.
  17. Feb 6, 2012
    This is my favorite movie of all time. I liked shows like Psych and the Good Guys which are like this. There are so many quotes from this movie which makes it great.
  18. Apr 6, 2013
    I will admit that I am not a fan of Will Ferrell whatsoever. I feel that his movies come off as stupid and tasteless. However, I felt that Will Ferrell, in this movie, meshes very well with Mark Wahlberg to create an incredibly funny comedy duo. Their character mesh so well together, as Will is an easy going guy who doesn't like intensity, but Mark is a cop who wants fame and will do anything to get it. These guys are great. However, they aren't the only characters that shine. Even though they do not appear for that long in the movie, the Rock and Samuel L. Jackson are hilarious together. This is a very funny movie with an interesting plot that I recommend you check out. Expand
  19. Dec 28, 2013
    The Other Guys is not a film that will be included on any "Best Movie Ever" lists anytime soon, but that does not mean that this action comedy is not good at what it tries to do. Very similar to other Will Ferrell films like Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, The Other Guys revels in over-the-top ridiculousness, but manages to come across as a well put together film at the same time. Honestly though, this movie would not even be half as good if anyone had been cast instead of Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg. My only complaint is that the crude humor can get a little overwhelming at times, but this never breaks the rhythm of this great comedy that deserves far more praise than it gets. Expand
  20. Jan 14, 2014
    One of the funniest movies I've seen in years. Watched it a few times and burst out laughing every time. But it's not a "universally funny" movie. You need to enjoy non-sequiturs, and enjoy being blindsided by unpredictable humor - if you don't, you wont understand why its funny. If you're expecting Anchorman (or Taladega Nights, which I hated), dont - this is nothing like it. Those relied on obvious humor, this relies on the unexpected - it relies on you thinking one thing and it presents another. Its a pretty polarizing movie - in the same cinema, some people were rolling around their seats laughing, while others were looking at them wondering what they were laughing at. Similarly, the reviews here are mostly either very positive or very negative. If you *need* obvious linear gags, you will not like this.

By far one of my favorite comedies and well worth a rewatch, but definitely not for everyone.

1. Here the filmmakers are in fine fettle, which goes a long way to make much of the low-brow silliness and slapstick infectious.
  2. Reviewed by: James White
    Skewers the action genre while also finding room for sheer madness. We've still yet to see the equal of Ron Burgundy, but this latest offering is a wonky yet worthy addition to the McKay/Ferrell pantheon.
  3. Reviewed by: Randy Cordova
    A surprising, laugh-out-loud take on the old buddy-cop genre. It's sneaky and smartly funny, offering an almost perfect balance of action and comedy. That's the good news. Then there's the matter of the movie's disheartening final 25 minutes.