The Other Side of Heaven

8.4

1. J.C.Hendrix
    Apr 15, 2003
    Excellent movie. A love story based on the love of Jesus that held to people together and btought salvation to an unknown place. Awesome family entertainment.
  2. JasonD.
    May 9, 2003
    Great Movie! Loved it lots.
  3. ScottP.
    Aug 5, 2005
    How his feet were treated (medical) by the local Tongan people. was my favorite part. Then all he went through to get there, what faith he must of had to know all would work out.
  4. TimothyS.
    Apr 24, 2006
    I thought this movie was more than preaching about LDS (mormon) view points; is a good old fashion movie about faith, hope and love and I think its to bad that the anti-mormon/christian media cannot accept a wholesom movie that is lacking in sex, violence and profanity.
  5. BrianH.
    Oct 7, 2002
    This show is designed for God fearing Christians. If you like clean movies, beautiful scenery and good acting...this is a film you will want to see.
  6. SallyJ.
    Oct 8, 2003
    The love of my life.
  7. BeverlyW.
    Apr 6, 2003
    This movie was a breath of fresh air. It was realistic and wholesome. It appeals to all ages. My teenagers who generally enjoy action packed, science fiction drama loved this movie. Finally something wholesome and entertaining together. Hooray for Disney for releasing it.
  8. Frank
    Jul 6, 2003
    This movie was wonderful!
  9. JeremyP.
    Jan 28, 2004
    I watched this movie after returning home from serving a mission and it really touched me. I liked it a lot! In reply to others who think of it as propaganda I would let them know that this movie is not officially endorsed by the "Mormon" church nor its leaders. So much for your propaganda idea. I was happy to see a movie that was free of all the usual sexual innuendo, crude language, and I watched this movie after returning home from serving a mission and it really touched me. I liked it a lot! In reply to others who think of it as propaganda I would let them know that this movie is not officially endorsed by the "Mormon" church nor its leaders. So much for your propaganda idea. I was happy to see a movie that was free of all the usual sexual innuendo, crude language, and heavy violence found in most movies today. I give it a nine because the acting could have been better. Expand
  10. DianaL.
    Oct 23, 2002
    This movie was great! It shows ispiritual love and it's a real life story that should get people thinking. But instead people are judging it to be boring when really they don't understand the meaning. I loved it!
  11. MattA.
    Oct 26, 2003
    I think this a great family film. I think considering this movie is about doing missionary work it is pretty nonpreachy. I think it gives a slight glimpse in the world of those that have dedicated a part of their life sharing the Gospel and not just neceassarily Mormon missionaries but even those of other faiths that have done the same. Although I happen to be LDS, I think this movie I think this a great family film. I think considering this movie is about doing missionary work it is pretty nonpreachy. I think it gives a slight glimpse in the world of those that have dedicated a part of their life sharing the Gospel and not just neceassarily Mormon missionaries but even those of other faiths that have done the same. Although I happen to be LDS, I think this movie appeals to a much wider audience. I think there is a severe lack of movies out there today that have morales and values, our society is turning away from grassroot values it was founded upon. I am tired of all the inuendo, needless sex, violence, language that are being thrown at us like a hailstorm from Hollywood. I think this movie in a way steps back and doesn't glamorize the world we currently live in. As far as the film is concerned I love the shots of the scenery of Rarotonga and some of the cultural elements. I think the filmmaker could or should of put a little more emphasis on what John Groberg taught to the people of Tonga. Overall excellent film! Expand
  12. GenevieveK.
    Oct 9, 2003
    It was a great movie and I dont know why people are being so hard on it.
  13. VeilomaniL.
    Apr 12, 2003
    I've watched the movie and I did like it very much. GOOD MOVIE FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY!!!
  14. MaryS.
    Apr 19, 2003
    The other side of heaven was such a refreshing movie to sit down and watch. it had a great message, but it also held your attention.
  15. TimD.
    Apr 2, 2003
    True sacrifice at its bests.
  16. BrettB.
    Apr 22, 2003
    Attention Hollywood! Please make more movies like this one.
  17. ToddM.
    Apr 5, 2003
    I ran into this movie by accident. If i knew what it was about i would have never watched it. Im so glad i did, it is a movie that the whole family can enjoy, and feel good about.
  18. ChristinaD.
    Jul 14, 2003
    Great movie! Disney did good!
  19. Ilene
    Jul 9, 2003
    100!! not 10! This movie was AWESOME! I know a few member from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and they are just awesome people. They've taught me so much about their religion. I'm so excited that this movie didn't try to degrade their religion.
  20. ElizabethB.
    May 24, 2004
    An enjoyable movie, with excellent production and impressive performances.
  21. GenaS.
    Jan 22, 2005
    Fabulous movie, I laughed, cried, and throughly enjoyed every minute of this movie.
  22. HowardY.
    Mar 26, 2008
    I very much enjoyed this movie, as it DID provide wholesome family entertainment that refrained from the use of violence, sex, or profanity. However, I feel that I must point out to those who did not enjoy the movie, that this was not "Mormon" propaganda, as no one forced you to watch this, and that the film was intended, not limited to, but for Mormons. It was a film that was intended to I very much enjoyed this movie, as it DID provide wholesome family entertainment that refrained from the use of violence, sex, or profanity. However, I feel that I must point out to those who did not enjoy the movie, that this was not "Mormon" propaganda, as no one forced you to watch this, and that the film was intended, not limited to, but for Mormons. It was a film that was intended to tell a story about service and self-sacriice, not one of preachiness or "propaganda". Expand
  23. DottieS.
    Dec 12, 2002
    This movie was awesome!! It was one movie that was clean, had great values, and I would watch it again and again. I seen it more than once! I especially liked the part that it was a true story about real people that are still living, and could give the "what really happened".
  24. B.C.
    Nov 3, 2003
    Well done touching true story. The actors, dialogue, and cinematography were excellent. The island shots were incredible. The movie is an excellent family film and a nice break from the raunchy films usually clamoring at the box office. If you can't stand any movie with references to religion, don't see it. Otherwise, I think it tells the tale without pushing religion or Well done touching true story. The actors, dialogue, and cinematography were excellent. The island shots were incredible. The movie is an excellent family film and a nice break from the raunchy films usually clamoring at the box office. If you can't stand any movie with references to religion, don't see it. Otherwise, I think it tells the tale without pushing religion or denominations at all. From what I can see, there is no specific teachings or churches mentioned. Expand
  25. AliC.
    Apr 28, 2003
    Great Movie!
  26. ThomasK.
    May 14, 2003
    It was awesome. A very uplifting film. It's about time that hollywood put out something good that the whole family can watch!
  27. ChrisW.
    Jun 21, 2004
    I laughed. I cried. I was held in suspense. Wonderful movie.
  28. ERomero
    Sep 24, 2004
    It is clear in reading the negative reviews that these people have an anti-mormon or at least an anti-religious slant. A true assesment of the movie from an objective vantage point reveals a throwback to yesteryear in movie making. It reminds you of when movies were about telling good stories that were filled with accomplishment or encouragement. I myself favor this type of movie over It is clear in reading the negative reviews that these people have an anti-mormon or at least an anti-religious slant. A true assesment of the movie from an objective vantage point reveals a throwback to yesteryear in movie making. It reminds you of when movies were about telling good stories that were filled with accomplishment or encouragement. I myself favor this type of movie over special effect blockbusters with incoherent scripts and riddled with violence, sex and profanity. Expand
  29. SalomeK.
    Sep 18, 2006
    It was a wonderful movie but it makes me homesick for my Island.
  30. L.V.
    Nov 29, 2003
    I was very disguested by Olaf W's comments. It is clear that Olaf DID NOT really watch the movie or read the book. If Olaf did watch the movie and read the book they would realize that John Groberg (the missionary) did go back many times to the island to help the people. I have to agree that Anne Hathaway is good actress but the reason why she was not a very big part in the movie is I was very disguested by Olaf W's comments. It is clear that Olaf DID NOT really watch the movie or read the book. If Olaf did watch the movie and read the book they would realize that John Groberg (the missionary) did go back many times to the island to help the people. I have to agree that Anne Hathaway is good actress but the reason why she was not a very big part in the movie is because It is not about her and the missionary's love life but how they grow by serving others! I think this movie is excellent!!! Very well done! I am so glad that this movie came out. Finally! A good wholesome movie instead of all the junk of sex, drugs, and swearing that we get from all the others movies out there. It is time that we have a family movie-a movie that is uplifting, inspiring, and motivating to become better. Now all you that give it a bad rating tell me what other hot movie gives us a warm feeling afterwards? I encourage everyone to read the book! It will change your life as it did for me and my family! Expand
  31. Dec 30, 2013
    Wonderful movie that I stumbled on by accident. Well put together, well acted. I often find that some of the best movies are true (or based on true) stories such as this one.

The whole trippy experience is like being held at gunpoint by a Jehovah's Witness at the front door while George Gobel holds forth in the living room on Nickelodeon.
  2. Reviewed by: Ed Park
    Strangely coy about its denominational allegiance.
  3. A tad preachy and more than a little bit sanctimonious.