6.0

1. Apr 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The most pointless movie ever. Not only is it boring, uneventful, badly directed and too long. But the whole premise of the movie is meaningless. The film is not intented to be an action movie, a romantic film, a thriller, a comedy or to show innovations in film-making; nor does it have a talented cast of well-known actors. It's made to tell a story. Therefore, I'm going to judge it based off its purpose. Even ignoring the badly translated French into English subtitles, and the lifeless direction, I can say this is the worst movie I've ever seen. Clearly, the whole point of the film is to show the characters' emotions in light of the information they've recieved, but these actors are horrible at doing that. What's more, the whole story is completely redunant. So what if you found out you've not been living with your genetic parents? It makes no difference, and any impact is only relevant in the minds of those concerned. It may only have an impact on the emotionally weak. In reality, in practice there is no difference. Any subsequent action or change in behaviour is purely from one's emotional side; no real factors or circumstances are affected. Clearly, this is a film for women who cry all the time and have nothing better to watch. Expand
  2. Feb 1, 2013
    This movie is far better than the critics' ratings. It portrays the range of human emotions that would occur under these circumstances, it demonstrates acceptance and love among cultures that seems bound by stereotypes and mutual distrust. It is a window into the world of Palestinian and Israeli relations.
  3. Jan 10, 2014
    I really don't like this movie. 'Joseph' one of the protagonists didn't act well, he recited very badly, full stop. However the story is enough good made.

1. Reviewed by: Louis Black
    Dec 12, 2012
    Cinematically well-made, The Other Son is nevertheless workmanlike. The actors are all excellent, the storytelling compassionate, and the overall sense one takes from the film is more humane than political.
  2. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    Nov 18, 2012
    The movie doesn't need to preach a "we're all equal" message. When we watch the boys bond with their new kin over food or music, then see the lines of Palestinians plodding through armed checkpoints to reach jobs or visit Israeli friends, we get the point.
  3. Reviewed by: Walter Addiego
    Nov 2, 2012
    Lévy gets expectedly strong work from the veteran Devos and outstanding performances from Sitruk and Dehbi.