Dimension Films | Release Date: August 10, 2001
8.8
Universal acclaim based on 308 Ratings
Watch Now
kakashiMay 28, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i love it ,it's very interesting, one of the best horror movies ever i was dieing from fear my English is bad don't blame me about the grammar ........etc Expand
cameronmorewoodNov 12, 2012
The Others is work of genius that scares us half to death while being about as violent as 'A Bug's Life.'
Spielberg00Sep 26, 2011
Featuring Nicole Kidman as the lead character, THE OTHERS is an eerie, suspenseful, creepy blend of horror and period drama. This isn't a typical "haunted house movie" or "ghost story" either, and there is absolutely nothing corny about it.Featuring Nicole Kidman as the lead character, THE OTHERS is an eerie, suspenseful, creepy blend of horror and period drama. This isn't a typical "haunted house movie" or "ghost story" either, and there is absolutely nothing corny about it. Kidman, of all cast members, delivers a fantastic performance (as usual). The film tells the haunting tale of a woman who returns to her mansion, after her husband begins to fight in World War II, with her two young children, who are highly sensitive to light stronger than that given off by a candle, and an elderly woman serving as a nanny. The terror begins when her two children begin claiming to see "ghosts", which at first she does not believe, but is eventually forced to, when she sees no coincidence between her children's tellings and the evidence of intruders in the house. If there's one horror movie that should have been won the awards for (at least) Best Cinematography, Best Visual Effects, and Best Sound Editing at the Academy Awards, THE OTHERS is that film. It creates enough suspense and terror to keep you on the edge of your seat for the whole, entire feature. It is a definite must-see. Collapse
smijatovMar 9, 2011
"The Others" manages to do what most horror thrillers fail at doing - horrifying you without any gore and violence, but just through the genuine fear of the characters. With an impressively deceptive screenplay, one believes everything that"The Others" manages to do what most horror thrillers fail at doing - horrifying you without any gore and violence, but just through the genuine fear of the characters. With an impressively deceptive screenplay, one believes everything that Grace (Nicole Kidman) goes through and believes, but as her perception changes, so does the viewers until one is not quite sure what one ought to believe. Excellently directed by Alejandro Amenabar, who also did the soundtrack and wrote the screenplay, with some amazing cinematography and film editing, "The Others" manages to create such a genuinely spooky mood that one just cannot tear oneself away from watching the film through the end. The cast is impressive, to say the least. Nicole Kidman gives one of her best performances to date, as the grief-stricken, somewhat psychotic mother trying to protect her children at all costs. The children actors are excellent, also, as well as the servants in the film - especially, Fionnula Flanagan, who delivers a chilling performance as Mrs Mills.
Overall, the film is definitely worth seeing and is one of the scariest and gripping films that will make you wonder about it for days and days...
xXRenTyrellXxNov 21, 2011
One of the best thriller's I've ever seen. It's also one of the most original movies I've ever seen. Not only does it make your skin crawl, the story is actually very interesting. If the directing and cinematography doesn't impress you, I'mOne of the best thriller's I've ever seen. It's also one of the most original movies I've ever seen. Not only does it make your skin crawl, the story is actually very interesting. If the directing and cinematography doesn't impress you, I'm sure Nicole Kidman's bone chilling performance will. Expand
grandpajoe6191Aug 30, 2015
"The Others" is a excellent movie, not only because of the tension-building visuals or the veteran acting from Nicole Kidman but more so due to its clever script with an extremely genius twist that started off a new genre of invasion horror.
Trev29Jun 22, 2013
Such a sensational well crafted and thoughtful ghost story. Art direction and cinematography added such a deeper dimension into the film. Nicole Kidman gives an exceptionally well performance.
Iky009Jan 7, 2014
Suspense do ├Źnicio ao Film
HaithamBSep 6, 2014
The Others is a slow burning thriller meaning that it won't be as exiting some people as it is to other people. It is manipulative, creepy and sometimes anti - religion, but Nicole Kidman pulls it off as damsels in distress.
beingryanjudeAug 28, 2014
The Others uses minimalism to horrify audiences in this supernatural and psychological thriller. The film measures up with other horror flicks that have decided the mind can be far scarier than violence and gore.
SpangleSep 16, 2015
Captivating and spooky from the very beginning, Alejandro Amenabar's The Others lives up to my expectations of a creepy and scary horror film. Featuring a stellar score composed by Amenabar himself, The Others also has a great leadCaptivating and spooky from the very beginning, Alejandro Amenabar's The Others lives up to my expectations of a creepy and scary horror film. Featuring a stellar score composed by Amenabar himself, The Others also has a great lead performance from Nicole Kidman and good supporting turns from Fionnula Flanagan, Alakina Mann, and James Bentley. Relying largely on the fear of the unknown, the film is a major success and really keeps you on the edge of your seat as you try to piece everything together. The great music accompanying the film is also a major player in this role as he truly keeps you on the edge of your seat. The plot as a whole is also very good and the storyline is well conceived and executed. In addition, the twists and turns this one takes really elevate it above your typical ghost story. Finally, the cinematography is gorgeous. Largely taking place at a single location, the film utilizes it to its full creepy potential and quite beautifully at the same time. Overall, The Others is an expertly crafted horror thriller that manages to entertain while also bringing a lot to the table artistically. Expand
horcrux2007Jun 7, 2015

You're gonna think I'm insane, but after doing some digging, I think I was just looking at The Others completely wrong. I watched it again, and now I realize it's not about "ghosts" or something. This movie seems too intelligent to only have like 2 scenes involving them. It's about some crazy mom and her kids in this creepy house. I think I was wanting this movie to be like The Innocents where it was actually about the evil kids and a ghost.
EpicLadySpongeApr 18, 2016
This isn't the Sixth Sense, but a powerful phrase of what the Others should do to make it look great is make it look like it's a rip-off of the Sixth Sense, but it's actually it's own thing.
Pelen23Jul 20, 2014
Fantastic, the film manages to keep the plot tight and neat and creates great suspense something that the six sense couldn't do so no undeveloped subplots or underwritten characters in the others.Whether The twist ending is predictable orFantastic, the film manages to keep the plot tight and neat and creates great suspense something that the six sense couldn't do so no undeveloped subplots or underwritten characters in the others.Whether The twist ending is predictable or not .who cares ? Because the characters are well written and Nicole Kidman's performance as the quirky mother is great that one of the most underrated performance see her facial expressions in the mirror while she is removing the sheets in that empty room.

If the others came out before the sixth sense , I bet everyone would diss the sixth sense.
infernokillerDec 14, 2010
This is the best movie ever. It keeps you on the edge of your seat.
If you have not seen this u need to!
this is a scariest move as well
heyitsmegrif4Dec 20, 2011
Scary, smart, and with just a simply fantastic performance from Nicole Kidman, The Others is also a lot more scarier due to its twist and low budget. I give this movie 85%.
GlenMJun 2, 2009
I believe this is the scariest move of all time and I have seen The Shining, The Exorcist and Silence of the lambs. It's rare for a horror move in that it has minimal gore but it builds a great tense, spooky atmosphere and really I believe this is the scariest move of all time and I have seen The Shining, The Exorcist and Silence of the lambs. It's rare for a horror move in that it has minimal gore but it builds a great tense, spooky atmosphere and really frightens throughout with a twist ending. If you love horror films it's a must see (but don't bother if you think horror movies must be saturated in gore). Expand
1 of 3 users found this helpful
oswaldferreraSep 20, 2012
Phenomenal performances from Kidman, Flanagan, and Mann, as well as a suitably surreal atmosphere... do not save this film from being suspenseless, i am not entirely sure most of these reviewers even watched the same movie, the 'twist' as youPhenomenal performances from Kidman, Flanagan, and Mann, as well as a suitably surreal atmosphere... do not save this film from being suspenseless, i am not entirely sure most of these reviewers even watched the same movie, the 'twist' as you people put it, can be seen from so early into the film that it becomes quite uninteresting, if you are a fan of gothic, creepy, surreal ghost stories... GO WATCH INSIDIOUS! Expand
mickelwickJan 5, 2013
okay, i was shown this as per the "gothic" section of the year ten english curriculum (in australia), and DEAR ZOMBIE JESUS DOES THIS MOVIE SUCK!

first off the bat, the twist ending, for anyone observant enough, is downright obvious within the first half hour, why? m. night shayamalan made the sixth sense in 1996, a decent film that had a mind-blowing twist, in 1999, the japanese, whether they had heard of the sixth sense or not, nonetheless, refined the formula and gave us a more psychologically daunting and horrific take on the idea with silent hill, and in 2001, the others completely leeches off both of them (even the fog) to try and refine the "people who don't know they're dead" concept, which fails pitifully to bring anything fresh to the table, or to even creep me out, and even if you hadn't seen or heard of either of these things, it would still be obvious if you payed attention, because it is executed so sloppily!

secondly, the scares are NON-F**KING-EXISTENT, why? because the twist is so obvious and, just like paranormal activity, it does not give you anything to be scared of, oh, the curtains are down, how scary, oh, the plastic tarp (plastic tarp? one word: ANACHRONISM) rustled, how scary, oh, someone is walking loudly on the floor above, how scary... need i say, er... type more? only two scenes are creepy throughout the mercilessly dull 105 minute runtime: that iconic scene with anne in the pretty dress, and the scene where the housekeepers are confronting grace on the steps of her manor, after the little revelation that they're... TAKE ONE GODDAMN GUESS!

thirdly, the performances... dear god... nicole kidman is TERRIBLE, what is particularly amusing is roger ebert said the following "nicole kidman succeeds in convincing us that she is a normal person in a disturbing situation" her character is painted, from the start, as a thinly-veiled psychotic lunatic, i had no empathy for her, and because of that, all the scares that should have worked despite the poor twist fall flat, james bently was a terrible child actor playing a terrible child character, frankly, i wouldn't care if he died a violent horrific death, and that is not a good thing, alakina mann was one of three talented people in the entire movie, she was a decently realized character, and thus, i cared about her, which is why the scene i mentioned earlier worked so effectively, eric sykes and fionulla flanagan were great as the housekeepers, who manage to make otherwise flat dialogue oddly chilling, the story behind the maid was chilling, even if elaine cassidy wasn't really good as the maid.

finally, the sorry human being who made this, when you can't get kidman to act properly, and your movie rips off shayamalan and a video game, YOU NEED TO REVISE YOUR F**KING MOVIE!!!
RirenMar 4, 2007
Morose, pretentious and plodding. Pretty much everything in this movie has been done before, though The Others tries to fool you into believing otherwise by speeding up its narrative at the appropriate times and only pretending to explain Morose, pretentious and plodding. Pretty much everything in this movie has been done before, though The Others tries to fool you into believing otherwise by speeding up its narrative at the appropriate times and only pretending to explain itself. Just because this takes place during World War 2 instead of the present doesn't mean it's novel. It just gives the characters new accents. Really, the whole picture has two settings: quiet, and tense, and this lack of range seriously hurts its ability to earn its tension. Expand
0 of 4 users found this helpful
csw12Dec 18, 2012
Not a fan of Nicole Kidman and this didn't really help. A pretty dull and not scary horror picture but it did add something new with a twist that was quite refreshing.
axelkochNov 9, 2012
At first, it's a drama. That's disappointing because of the way the film was promoted. Whatsoever, the atmosphere was well made and the ending was also impressive. But the actors are not good (I hate Nicole Kidman and I think you won't findAt first, it's a drama. That's disappointing because of the way the film was promoted. Whatsoever, the atmosphere was well made and the ending was also impressive. But the actors are not good (I hate Nicole Kidman and I think you won't find any good child actors for this roles) and in the middle of the movie it gets kinda boring. It could've been better, because in this way it's really nothing special. Expand
GrahamM.Dec 7, 2005
This is a great ghost movie. The atmosphere is great and the acting is great.
MaximusP.Aug 12, 2001
One of the best films Kidman has done. Her performance is first rate. She will do fine without Tom Cruise.
LiridonH.Nov 17, 2007
Awsome movie!!! Great performance by Nicole Kidman. It scared me a lot. Which scared me weren't ghosts or monsters but the saying that sums up the movie : "sometimes the world of the dead gets mixed up with the world of the living".
AndrewG.Oct 22, 2008
A supernatural thriller that relies too much on Nicole Kidman, (in for me, her best performance to date), dragging it through an hour and forty minutes.
SEROJAug 30, 2016
A movie with much creepy atmosphere that you just don't wanna miss, especially if halloween is near! It was a bit slow for me and, but overall it's a very interesting movie