The Oxford Murders

5.2

1. JoelP.
    Aug 9, 2010
    Elijah Wood delivers one of the worst lead acting performances I've ever seen. Hard to know whether the film, which tries to impress with its erudition, would have worked better with a competent lead. But with a clinker in the lead role, the film never takes off, and plays like a pretentious intro to philosophy 101.
  2. Aug 21, 2010
    Astonishingly bad. When the gorgeous girls start to eye up Wood you know the film has been hopelessly miscast.
    Grimmer than words. A parody of intelligence and erudition, needlessly filmed in the half-light to make up for the utter lack of suspense. Sorry, no offence, but this guy isn't a lead actor.
  3. Jan 19, 2011
    John Hurt makes this movie at least a 5. Elijah Wood makes it a 3. The math and higher end concepts make it a 6. Overall, above average, decent movie to sit through at home with coffee and a warm cinnamon roll.
  4. May 30, 2011
    This one is a real sleeper, one I came across quite by accident. Full disclosure: I'm a murder mystery addict. What fascinates me about The Oxford Murders is the smooth blend of mystery with cutting-edge philosophical theory centering on Wittgenstein, chaos theory, and Heisenberg's uncertainty principle. Please believe me when I tell you these are integrated seamlessly into the seeminglyThis one is a real sleeper, one I came across quite by accident. Full disclosure: I'm a murder mystery addict. What fascinates me about The Oxford Murders is the smooth blend of mystery with cutting-edge philosophical theory centering on Wittgenstein, chaos theory, and Heisenberg's uncertainty principle. Please believe me when I tell you these are integrated seamlessly into the seemingly serial murder plot. What is real? What is true and how do you know it? And just when you think you have all the answers, is there another alternative scenario you haven't even remotely entertained that is equally plausible? (Yes, by the way, but that's no spoiler.) Hurt is masterful as the pompous but brilliant Oxford don. The others all help make the movie work well enough. I don't know whether "Lorna" was in the original 2006 novel on which this is based but her character makes its own pleasant contribution as well. Expand
  5. Nov 3, 2012
    Al principio es lenta, y no acaba de convencer. Pero poco a poco las matemáticas nos van intrigando, como si la serie Numb3rs se hubiera colado en Oxford, hasta llegar a un final totalmente inesperado. También es interesante ver a Elijah Wood sin interpretar su papel de Frodo, y más cuando ligero de ropa no consigue enamorarse lo suficiente de Leonor Watling.

There are no critic reviews yet.