IFC Midnight | Release Date: July 6, 2012
6.9
Generally favorable reviews based on 27 Ratings
Watch Now
voxottoSep 6, 2016
Worth the watch but nothing really that special, scares we're decent at best but only for the reason that music was turned up to 200% for every jumpscare.
JoellemmAug 31, 2016
Tense, creepy, mysterious, and better than most horrors. Scarier also. Its holds your tension throughout; except for maybe that it could of ended 10 minutes earlier. The script could of been a bit fleshed out, and clues felt a littleTense, creepy, mysterious, and better than most horrors. Scarier also. Its holds your tension throughout; except for maybe that it could of ended 10 minutes earlier. The script could of been a bit fleshed out, and clues felt a little simplistic. Even so, I wish critics would of been a little nicer, because I find I difficult to find horrors worth watching, and this is one. Expand
choomtabi31May 25, 2016
I truly liked this movie. A lot of jump in your seat moments and kept you thinking along one line all the way through the movie then throws that twist we all love.

Watch it online for free: https://www.primewire.ag/watch-2733377-The-Pact
mijxeroJul 6, 2015
I have to first off admit that this is not a good movie. It drags along and the story tries too hard to be dark and mysterious. With that aside this has the greatest and creepiest scares, not just jump scares but the kind that makes theI have to first off admit that this is not a good movie. It drags along and the story tries too hard to be dark and mysterious. With that aside this has the greatest and creepiest scares, not just jump scares but the kind that makes the hairs on your next stand up for a whole scene. It had quite a few of these and it genuinely scared me more than any movie I've seen in a long time. Unfortunately after those it crashes headfirst into a terrible ending. I have to give it a 7 because as far as horror goes it actually delivers. Expand
FilmVirtueJul 3, 2015
Suspenseful and horrifying from start to finish, this low budget entry into the world of horror works because it doesn't rely on jump scares and masked killers to do the dirty work.
MattBrady99May 14, 2015
The Pact is a horror movie that's done in a way that makes it different to other horror movies at that time, and I'm talking about slow build up and suspense.

The story is about a Nicole (Bruckner) and Annie (Lotz) reluctantly return to

The story is about a Nicole (Bruckner) and Annie (Lotz) reluctantly return to their childhood home to pay their last respects. While staying overnight in the house, the sisters sense a mysterious presence in their midst: noises startling them in the night, objects moving about, a fallen picture of an unknown woman posed next to their mother. Annie begins experiencing a series of intense and disturbing dreams visions that lead her to uncover something terrible about her mothers past that is finally revealing itself.

Before seeing The Pact I looked at some of the reviews that the movie got and some was mostly positive, some alright but a lot of negative feedback from people who said the movie wasn't scary or even that well written. After seeing I can that the movie isn't flawless but it isn't bad as some pointed out, the movie dose have it's suspenseful moments and not the jump scare bullsh*t.

The Pact is a slow burner horror film with some scenes that don't come off scary just more like trying to be scary, but there are scenes in this that do come off creepy and at least the movie has a sense of atmosphere so it will be easy to build up something. All the performances in the movie was solid, the director did a fine job directing, the movie is a bit slow at times and some scenes that could have been scary but came off not that scary could have been effective with a little more work into it.

Overall The Pact is a okay horror movie that's worth checking out if your bored or it's a rainy day.
GuillermoBMJan 16, 2015
Summary: The Pact is spooky, well acted and just a bit slow. 78/100 [B]

Summary: The Pact is spooky, well acted and just a bit slow. 78/100 [B]

The Pact is an indie horror film directed by Nicholas McCarthy. It is a small flick and it has a decent running time, eighty-nine suspenseful and terrifying minutes. Moving on, it starts very well, the opening scene has lots of suspense and some lean scares. It delivers suspense, chills and a sense of anxiety. The movie boasts great performances by Haley Hudson and Caity Lotz, their performances were genuine and believable. Lotz and Hudson did a good job with their roles, but for me the star of the film is Hudson. She was terrific. Anyway, The Pact is such a good horror film that doesn't even need gore or violence to be good. It is a slow movie but it requires patience.

The movie has enough blood and violence to satisfy discerning horror fans. Also, the special effects are surprisingly well done in spite of being a low-budget film. On the downside, the camera movements are annoying at times, the director wants to show you all, it's a very explicit movie, it shows you all the shadows and 'spectrums' with an unnecessary camera zoom, he thinks that you're blind or something. All those 'zoom' moments are so ineffective and not scary. I wish it could be more implicit. In addition, sometimes the camera moves stupidly and makes a scene funnier than scary, for example that scene in the trailer where Caity Lotz is attacked from behind by a ghost, was kinda funny.

Leaving aside its flaws, I highly recommend it for horror fans. You can watch it online with some friends or rent it, it's a very spooky flick. The premise is intriguing, it has a good script and the performances are believable. Thumbs up for the loud-chilling screams, the excellent acting (Haley Hudson you were awesome) and the interesting premise of the film. Thumbs down for a few boring scenes, cliches of the genre and the crappy camera direction. In conclusion, it is a must see if you love the horror genre, I'm pretty sure that you'll love it. Just don't see it if you have very high expectations or if you think that it will be a masterpiece. The Pact is just a little horror gem. [B]
SushiStonerDec 17, 2014
A very choppy isolated film with a disordered story and unintended unresolved sub plots a few cheap jump scares with no genuine atmosphere, forced character's and disappointing ending.
MetaphillerDec 26, 2012
Scared me so much I had to stop watching and finish it in the morning. Granted, I was watching alone in the dark after midnight. But still, I'm a horror junkie in my 30s and haven't been scared like that in years! Good movie!
ImAwesomeDec 13, 2012
The Pact. This film scared me to the point that I had to stop watching it twice. Seriously, when the camera is directed towards a pitch dark room, you can feel evil lurking. The great lead actress was easy to identify with. The veryThe Pact. This film scared me to the point that I had to stop watching it twice. Seriously, when the camera is directed towards a pitch dark room, you can feel evil lurking. The great lead actress was easy to identify with. The very naturalistic house -just an average old house- made the supernatural elements even more effective. Man, it was too scary, that is my only problem. Expand
WriteFilmLive21Dec 1, 2012
"The Pact" is a tautly engrossing thriller/horror flick, playing down the special effects you'll see in most of its peers and relying almost entirely on quiet suspense and scares most of the time. When Annie returns to her deceased mother's"The Pact" is a tautly engrossing thriller/horror flick, playing down the special effects you'll see in most of its peers and relying almost entirely on quiet suspense and scares most of the time. When Annie returns to her deceased mother's home, she soon finds herself trying to track down the secret behind a disturbing supernatural presence. The plot twists are a lot of fun, and the climax itself is superb. Overall a very watchable choice for the horror/suspense fan. Expand