7.1

1. Sep 29, 2014
    Summary: "The Pact" is spooky, short, well acted and just a bit boring. 79/100 [B+]

"The Pact" is an indie horror film directed by Nicholas McCarthy. It's a little film and its running time is very short (89 min), eighty nine suspenseful and terrifying minutes. Moving on, It starts very well, the opening scene has lots of suspense and some lean scares. The screenplay is original, it
    envelops you. In addition, it delivers lots of screams and a sense of anxiety. "The Pact" has very good performances and shout out here to Hayley Hudson, her performance is genuine and terrifying. Caity Lotz the protagonist is a great actress too, but for me the star of the film is Hayley Hudson. The Pact doesn't have gore but it has enough blood and violence to satisfy discerning horror fans.

It has some boring moments and the film becomes weird after the second half. It has some low-budget special effects, but they are fine, no problem with them. The camera direction sucks, 'cause the director wants to show you all, it's a very explicit flick, it shows you all the shadows and "spectrums" with zoom, he thinks that you're blind or something. All those "zoom" moments are so ineffective and not scary, i wish it could be more implicit. In addition, sometimes the camera moves stupidly and it makes a scene funnier than scary, for example: (that scene in the trailer when Caity Lotz is attacked from behind by a ghost), it's very funny. However, it doesn't affect the film at all.

It is highly recommended, you can see it online with some friends, it's very spooky, it has a good script and believable performances. Thumbs up for the loud-chilling screams, the excellent performances (I love you Hayley Hudson), and thumbs up too for the original screenplay. Thumbs down for a few boring scenes, a few cliches of the genre and the crappy camera direction. It is a must see, if you love the horror genre, i'm pretty sure that you'll love it. Don't see it if you have very high expectations or if you think that it's a masterpiece, because we're talking about a little horror film with a very small budget. [B+] Check out my blog: www.memobosque.blogspot.mx Twitter: @MemoBosque
  2. Dec 26, 2012
    Scared me so much I had to stop watching and finish it in the morning. Granted, I was watching alone in the dark after midnight. But still, I'm a horror junkie in my 30s and haven't been scared like that in years! Good movie!
  3. Dec 13, 2012
    The Pact. This film scared me to the point that I had to stop watching it twice. Seriously, when the camera is directed towards a pitch dark room, you can feel evil lurking. The great lead actress was easy to identify with. The very naturalistic house -just an average old house- made the supernatural elements even more effective. Man, it was too scary, that is my only problem.
  4. Dec 1, 2012
    "The Pact" is a tautly engrossing thriller/horror flick, playing down the special effects you'll see in most of its peers and relying almost entirely on quiet suspense and scares most of the time. When Annie returns to her deceased mother's home, she soon finds herself trying to track down the secret behind a disturbing supernatural presence. The plot twists are a lot of fun, and the climax itself is superb. Overall a very watchable choice for the horror/suspense fan. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Kyle Smith
    Jul 6, 2012
    Familiar elements such as a dark family secret, a ghost and a Ouija board start to seem trite after a while, and the third act is a little ridiculous, but debut writer-director Nicholas McCarthy does a lot with a little and seems fully prepared to handle a big-studio horror project.
  2. Reviewed by: Manohla Dargis
    Jul 5, 2012
    In the end, like a lot of genre movies, this one pulls from different inspirations, and so weighs in, by turns, as overly predictable and satisfyingly recognizable (part of genre cinema's one-two punch).
  3. Reviewed by: Elizabeth Weitzman
    Jul 5, 2012
    For her part, Lotz carries the load with such briskly efficient confidence, it's no surprise to learn that she's already got several more movies on the way.