The Paperboy

5.8

1. Aug 17, 2015
    Reading the reviews of this film I can see the point of view of why it might be trashy and "camp", though I would say this is a great exaggeration. There are one or two scenes that may be labeled as such but overall this movie contains beautiful shots, amazing acting from all 4 title names and a compelling story.

This is not my genre of film at all and I wouldn't call myself a Lee

This is not my genre of film at all and I wouldn't call myself a Lee Daniels fan, though I wouldn't say I don't like him either, but the story, cinematography and of course the acting hooked me in the first 5 mins and it was non stop till the end- the very end I assure you.

I highly recommend this film. Zac Efron proves himself if that's what may deter you from the film.

Great.. very pleasantly surprised at how well done this was. 8 for sure.
  2. Apr 28, 2015
    It's not a crowd-pleasing movie; it's just and excellent movie. So dark, "black as the pit from pole to pole", so unforgiving about human flaws. McConaughey, Kidman, Cusack and Gray teach an acting lesson. Don't pay attention to the average score but to the huge spread among both critics and public. It tells you it isn't a movie for everyone. Zac Efron is here to show he has also an actingIt's not a crowd-pleasing movie; it's just and excellent movie. So dark, "black as the pit from pole to pole", so unforgiving about human flaws. McConaughey, Kidman, Cusack and Gray teach an acting lesson. Don't pay attention to the average score but to the huge spread among both critics and public. It tells you it isn't a movie for everyone. Zac Efron is here to show he has also an acting range, not to provide entertainment, good looks and a happy ending. Expand
  3. Jan 4, 2014
    Interesting film with lots of great acting: Nicole Kidman, John Cusack, Matthew, everybody, including Zac Efron, I discovered that he is a real actor with this film. Can´t wait to see more roles from him. The biggest problem is the same that all Lee Daniels films have: too many things going on without completely going for it. He should focus on one particular issue in each of his films,Interesting film with lots of great acting: Nicole Kidman, John Cusack, Matthew, everybody, including Zac Efron, I discovered that he is a real actor with this film. Can´t wait to see more roles from him. The biggest problem is the same that all Lee Daniels films have: too many things going on without completely going for it. He should focus on one particular issue in each of his films, the results would be better. But still, I really liked this one, the cinematography is great and many of the topics they handled were very interesting. Yes it´s a bit disturbing but it´s this director´s style. It´s like an American Almodovar. people should get over it. Just learn to embrace human nature. Expand
  4. Jun 25, 2013
    This is an interesting film but only some people will like it. It has many things to say and show but the director doesn't achieve to show them in a good way. i like the movie though i expected more. Nicole Kidman impressed me with her sexual appearance-scene and the ending it's a little bit of dull and not what you would expect. However, i liked the movie and as I said in the beginingThis is an interesting film but only some people will like it. It has many things to say and show but the director doesn't achieve to show them in a good way. i like the movie though i expected more. Nicole Kidman impressed me with her sexual appearance-scene and the ending it's a little bit of dull and not what you would expect. However, i liked the movie and as I said in the begining some people may not like for different reasons. I liked it anyway Expand
  5. Feb 16, 2013
    This film is messy just like everyone is saying. It's also a little thin in some places but this thinness works because it keeps the story light and fun despite its periodic lurid/grisly bubbling over it is nearly perfect in what it wants to do; nothing appears forced or rings false (a credit to daniels) and of course the acting (even efron, whose blankness is necessary) is amazing.

1. Reviewed by: Angie Errigo
    Mar 11, 2013
    A superb Kidman takes off the handbrake, and most everything else, in Daniels' southern-fried follow-up to "Precious." Watch it with "Killer Joe" for the ultimate sweaty, twisted double-bill.
  2. Reviewed by: Jamie Graham
    Feb 16, 2013
    A grindhouse mix of "Wild Things," "Killer Joe" and "Streetcar Named Desire," The Paperboy won’t be for all. But it boasts a soupy atmosphere and Kidman’s best turn for years.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Nov 2, 2012
    This is the kind of film that feels like a dream - but not in the good way. Rather, it resembles a dream in that it is made up of disjointed, loosely connected bits of surrealist craziness - ideas that might have seemed interesting in the twilight hours but that don't come close to standing up to the light of day.