Magnolia Pictures | Release Date: July 1, 2011
Watch Now
TheMudDoctorSep 12, 2011
Nick Tomnayâ
CBZOct 15, 2011
This is a very interesting movie, that doesn't follow all the clichés and keeps the audience interested until the end. I really enjoyed it since it has no boring parts, you never know whats coming in the next scene.
JonathanCOct 8, 2011
Let's face it, most movies today, the vast majority, use standard story telling techniques and cliche's to tell their similar stories, but it was refreshing to see a "ride" come back to a modern movie. Yes I thought about the two or threeLet's face it, most movies today, the vast majority, use standard story telling techniques and cliche's to tell their similar stories, but it was refreshing to see a "ride" come back to a modern movie. Yes I thought about the two or three twists that may come and was right in two of them, but it was unravelled in a playful way, which was very refreshing and original for a thriller. I really enjoyed David Hyde-Pierce in this film, and hope we see a lot more of him in the future. The movie opens in a great way, setting the tone of a heist, action and drops it nicely into a "stage play" format. I loved it. Expand
leaveitFeb 16, 2016
This movie was rather underrated. The characters were interesting, the script was suspenseful, and the film didn't have any delusions about itself. It's not exactly going to change your life, but portions of the movie are far from standardThis movie was rather underrated. The characters were interesting, the script was suspenseful, and the film didn't have any delusions about itself. It's not exactly going to change your life, but portions of the movie are far from standard Hollywood fare so that the whole project seems like more of an artistic outing rather than a blockbuster attempt. David Hyde Pierce shows his chops in a role that is presented (type-cast, probably) as your typical yuppie peabody but reveals new layers underneath. Despite its critic rating here which suggests that it's totally mediocre, I would argue that it is at least worth watching. Expand
Filmcritic4artAug 24, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie was disappointing precisely because it could have been superb. Anyone who remembers the hysterically funny antics of Frasier's brother Niles, played by David Hyde Pierce, will wish Frasier's writing staff had helped the director out with the "comedy"this movie was attempting to portray...

When a bank robber (John) who's day has gone horribly wrong shows up posing as a friend of a friend at Warwick's immaculate home dripping blood from a gunshot (onto his impeccably stylish wood floors), one has the feeling that all the ingredients are ready for a black comedy. Especially when the news accidentally comes (out on the radio) and the robber threatens Warwick's life with a knife. How does Warwick respond? "But you can't kill me. I'm having a dinner party!" "Yes!" I thought,"That is the start of all sorts of Niles-like antics bantered back by doomed John, the bank robber who clearly thinks he's an annoying stuffy twerp." But no, it was not. Instead, that was the last truly funny thing in the movie, at least for me.

After that, the "Niles" character becomes a partly devious (but actually insane) stalker, who makes us think he's something like Jeffrey Dahmer, and there are plenty of us who are not entertained by the antics of actual serial killers! By the time we find John drugged and tied up in Warwick's tub while Warwick "pleasures himself," I felt sick and fast forwarded my way out of the embarrassment. Poor actors! Who made them appear like that?

It turns out that Warwick didn't kill John after all, that: he just used makeup to feign the slashed throat, and that he happens to be a policeman, who happens to be on the bank robbery... Really. Really?? Then, instead of capturing the robber, he makes certain to intercept him just as his attempt to leave with the cash was underway. Threatening to shoot John unless he hands over the cash, he tosses back $2,000 because "customs will be rough in Mexico." Whereupon he walks the rest of the loot back to his posh apartment.

Sometime later, Warwick's partner at the police station gets a polaroid photo of the robber with Warwick (that was taken at the "party"). His partner confronts him and says they will need to "see his apartment." Guess what? Warwick talks him out of a formal investigation, instead asking him to "come to dinner." Where one supposes the entire movie would be repeated with a new victim...but without me.

Someone should have made this movie go in a better direction, or put a stop to it before it went too far!