Summit Entertainment | Release Date: September 21, 2012
8.7
Universal acclaim based on 545 Ratings
WATCH NOW
LynMar 8, 2013
If only EVERY screwed-up kid starting high school would connect on the very first weekend with a fun group of quirky, smart hipsters who would welcome him as one of their own! Overall, just too many cliches: The out-of-reach girl who's just aIf only EVERY screwed-up kid starting high school would connect on the very first weekend with a fun group of quirky, smart hipsters who would welcome him as one of their own! Overall, just too many cliches: The out-of-reach girl who's just a friend, the high school meanies, the brilliantly individualistic gay guy. Nothing you haven't seen before in "The Wonder Years" or a Michael Cera movie or more heavy-duty films like "Ordinary People." However I found all of the young actors pretty appealing. The lead actor's emotional fragility was palpable and Emma Watson was fine as well. Expand
Jugasauresrex15Jan 2, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am going to keep it short and simple and say that this film is beautiful, it's a comfortable length long, you can grow to love the main character Charlie but this film will also make you cry, the sadness and depression Charlie has through his life is so moving but in the end this film is a real heart warmer Expand
BradySmithSep 5, 2014
Although the characters are well drawn, and evident care went into the screenplay, as well as the whole production, I was really irked by this movie. I did feel sympathy for the main character, but the movie's politics and ideals areAlthough the characters are well drawn, and evident care went into the screenplay, as well as the whole production, I was really irked by this movie. I did feel sympathy for the main character, but the movie's politics and ideals are seriously muddled. It's a very left winged movie, supporting homosexual relationships, casual drug use, and teenage sex. I'm unsure of whether or not it's acceptable for a dating couple to engage in breast fondling, but just so you know, it's in here too. Yes, bullying is wrong, but that does not mean that teenage boys having sex with each other is condonable. It's not shown, but it is discussed and supported in the movie. Sometimes I feel like I'm the last conservative on Earth, but I'm not changing my stance on these issues, even if a movie is engaging and emotionally affecting. Expand
imilhoferDec 26, 2013
Is this the most overrated film of the decade so far? Yes. I was expecting a witty and dry comedy with insight and warmth, as reviews and the feel of this indie film indicated. I was presented with melodrama, a flat plot, unimaginativeIs this the most overrated film of the decade so far? Yes. I was expecting a witty and dry comedy with insight and warmth, as reviews and the feel of this indie film indicated. I was presented with melodrama, a flat plot, unimaginative teenage cliches and a devastating American accent from Emma Watson. What's all the fuss about? Expand
Mforrest0726Jan 3, 2015
Though I'll admit it didn't make me feel as unclean or as angry as the book, it still had more than enough scenes that either made me queesie at the awkwardness, or just plain angry at character's stupidity to make it a bad movie.
mohamad91hkSep 3, 2016
in a few words, this movie like all high-school movies, not bad but not amazing, perfect performance by Logan, if you like high school movies you can watch it.
GMTRJun 23, 2013
This movie's Beautiful.
It brought Tears to my eyes.
And if you know me,
That is very hard to do.
Rating: 10/10
If you would like to contact me,
And ask me about this movie
Or any other movie e-mail me at.....
guyrunje12@gmail.com
scarecrow007May 15, 2013
Don’t get me wrong, I liked The Perks of Being a Wallflower”, but with all the recommendations and high praise this movie was getting, I thought I would like it more.
Firstly, most of the characters feel very one dimensional and flat, and
Firstly, most of the characters feel very one dimensional and flat, and are just there for the sake of being there. Would it have hurt for the moviemakers to add more depth to Charlie's mother or maybe his sister?
Secondly, the movie has a typical teen movie plot. You know the plot were the main character is this unpopular kid, but at one point he gains new friends, but later loses them and still gets back with them before the end, happy and smiling? Yeah, it's that plot again. To me this plot seemed very predicatable. Also, the big climax at the end felt really underwhelming and watered down because of all the teen drama.
Like I said at the start of this “review”, I did like the movie. I liked the main character Charlie. He was easy to relate to and he had an interesting past. Another thing I liked was Patrick; he seemed like a cheerful and likeable person despite having more of a tragic agenda later on. Also, the movie's use of 90s music really helped to set the mood and was fun to listen to.
In the end “Perks of Being a Wallflower” isn’t bad movie, but the way it’s made might not be acceptable for some people, myself included.
Trev29Jan 9, 2013
While this film is borderline cliché in many aspects, I appreciate the director for presenting it as a novel concept that never feels superficial. Although when I thought the movie had reached a good place to end, its' twist comes inWhile this film is borderline cliché in many aspects, I appreciate the director for presenting it as a novel concept that never feels superficial. Although when I thought the movie had reached a good place to end, its' twist comes in and it feels unnatural. Expand
ReelGSep 30, 2012
Check out the opinions of two hip old-school Hollywood veterans
they have some interesting things to say about Perks of Being a Wallflower
reviewfrom19842Oct 11, 2016
An okay teen movie it can get a little cheesy and Cliché at some times but it's an okay teen movie with good charters and a good story but it's a little too cheesy.