8.6

1. Jul 17, 2015
    It seems only fitting that the man responsible for the eponymous novel's success be at the helm of the eventual film adaptation. And what Stephen Chbosky gives us is a deeply moving, philosophically thought-provoking study of American youth and the many heart-wrenching obstacles it can entail.
  2. Dec 20, 2012
    Perks rises above your average teen coming-of-age flick by delivering us grown-up drama and well timed, heartfelt humor. The characters are so unique and fun to watch that we can't help but fall in love with them.
  3. Dec 24, 2014
    God, I loved this film. Rarely do I watch a film and be left sitting there with chills and nothing but a stupid smile as I think of how this one film re-affirmed my love for film and showed me truly how powerful a medium it can be at times. Brilliantly acted by Logan Lerman, Emma Watson, and Ezra Miller, The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a marvelous look at those of us who are quiet andGod, I loved this film. Rarely do I watch a film and be left sitting there with chills and nothing but a stupid smile as I think of how this one film re-affirmed my love for film and showed me truly how powerful a medium it can be at times. Brilliantly acted by Logan Lerman, Emma Watson, and Ezra Miller, The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a marvelous look at those of us who are quiet and lonely. While I do not fully identify with Lerman's character, certainly a good portion of his life resembled mine and for that, it completely touched my heart and struck me to my core. However, even the parts I did not identify with did this. As a whole, it is truly just a powerful and moving film that is leaving me speechless right now. Brilliantly written, directed, and acted, the only problem I can truly think of for this one that keeps it from being a perfect film for me is that as honest a portrayal of life for wallflowers as it is, it can become a little...idealistic and, as such, unrealistic. Beyond that minor complaint though, this is an amazing coming age drama that should touch your heart and if it does not, I do not know what is wrong with you. Expand
  4. Mar 10, 2013
    This film blew me away. From the great script to the outstanding performances, this film is one of the best of 2012. The three leads bring out a very realistic sense of teenage problems (Ezra Miller being my favorite). It's also good to see Paul Rudd in a different kind of role as the teacher.
  5. Mar 19, 2015
    Author Stephen Chbosky's first film is delightful and playful and i just love it! the book and script tell a coming with age story with teens and young adult, they can all enjoy and love within the heart. Logan Lerman is a better and charming actor he really did good in film better then the percy jackson films. Waston is love able and amazing. Grade A
  6. Sep 23, 2012
    The trailer makes this movie look like a quirky and light teen flick a la Juno, but it's a serious movie that deals with important issues elegantly. The writer/director introduced the film to my theater, which, to my surprise, included about 50 younger people who had read his book. I had no idea it was so popular. I can see this movie having a similar appeal to teenagers to today that aThe trailer makes this movie look like a quirky and light teen flick a la Juno, but it's a serious movie that deals with important issues elegantly. The writer/director introduced the film to my theater, which, to my surprise, included about 50 younger people who had read his book. I had no idea it was so popular. I can see this movie having a similar appeal to teenagers to today that a film like Dead Poets Society had for my generation. Emma Watson and Ezra Miller are outstanding, and the supporting actors including Melanie Lynskey and Paul Rudd are perfectly cast. It's one of the better movies I've seen this year. Expand
  7. Sep 15, 2014
    It is not quite often a book author can direct a film adapted from his own novel, but Stephen Chbosky did it with this partially autobiographic story about a high school freshman Charlie (Lerman), gains love and friendship during the first year with his soon-to-be-graduated senior schoolmates.

continue reading my review on my blog: google cinema omnivore, thanks
  8. Aug 28, 2014
    Just a great young adult movie. I watched this before reading the book and I really didnt have any knowledge that there was a book that inspired the film, but I would consider reading the novel because the movie was incredible. The characters are so relatable to young adults as they deal with all the problems of being a young person. The three main characters are all great! Such a great movie!
  9. Mar 3, 2013
    This wasn't just a coming-of-age film in regards to the story, but also for the actors and actresses involved in what could be one of the best films of the year.
    Charlie (Logan Lerman) is narrating the film as he enters high school, but he finds difficulty making new friends, only managing to speak friendly to his English teacher, Mr Anderson (Paul Rudd).
    He soon builds the confidence to
    He soon builds the confidence to speak to Patrick (Ezra Miller), an eccentric but likeable senior, at this point Charlie is introduced to Patrick's stepsister, Sam (Emma Watson), he is immediately attracted to and begins to spend more time with the two as they embark on an adventure of self-discovery and the hardship of growing up.
    The film moves at a feel-good pace that is hard to find flaw with, the characters are immediately likeable, even though they hold onto to personal woes and secrets, but when they merge as one, the film truly comes alive, with each character and talent playing them stepping out and being free, Miller is no longer a psychotic bow and arrow wielder from We Need to Talk About Kevin, Lerman no longer a demigod of Percy Jackson fame, nor is Watson, who does a wonderful turn as the beautiful Sam, leaving her Harry Potter days long behind her, each actor signifying their intention to move on.
    Wallflower is certainly not without its drama though, and it does play out a little differently than a typical adolescent movie, but the film is carefully written so that it doesn't follow the same path involving drugs, sex and school, but subtly hints at all of the above, but at the same time creating an engaging story as to how these characters grow to rely on each other and their necessity to be different.
    This attempt at difference involves a catchy and nostalgic soundtrack that will have you screaming the tunes as you watch the film. Where the film truly succeeds is its emotional journey of character development and personal achievements. The powerful performances of the three leads will have you engrossed from start to finish, they truly embrace their roles and let themselves enjoy the moment, and with an emotional climax that could just bring a tear to your eye, it certainly is an unexpected yet properly realistic and grounded ending that is heartfelt and touching.
    A feel-good and emotionally romantic journey of self-discovery, with plenty of drama and laughs that add up to an extremely enjoyable, well-written and fantastically acted film.
  10. Dec 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Seated at a cafe table for one, a beautiful, young woman, unaccountably lonely, peruses and pines over a comic book, and its handsome male hero. The music video for A-ha's "Take on Me" is the ultimate geek fantasy: the blond seems to have a fondness for an illustrated world over the real one, just like any introverted fanboy. The protagonist, as it turns out, a Norwegian protagonist, without explanation, blinks at the Londoner single, as the comic panel loses its static purpose, when the graphic hero reciprocates the customer's **** of the crush object with a crush of his own, and extends an open invitation to the startled reader, who nevertheless, grabs the hand protruding from the ephemeral page, and enters the diegesis of pencil sketches, suddenly made fluid by the alchemic properties of synth-pop music. In 1985, every sad, maladjusted boy wanted to be A-ha frontman Morten Harket, because that's how a wallflower could be heroic, by saving a damsel in distress from rival motorcyclists armed with pipe wrenches from the safety of a debauchery-free bedroom, alone with his Martha Quinn sex fantasies. Wallflowers get older. Some survive their awkward teenage years, and bloom, like Charlie undoubtedly will, in The Perks of Being a Wallflower, while others, such as Jorge, a morbidly shy dishwasher, will not, ever, in Steve Barron's Choking Man, a micro-indie that shows how ostracized children grow up to be ostracized children. Barron, the filmmaker who helmed "Take on Me", references his music video past, in a scene where Jorge's enemy, the restaurant manager, who delights in torturing the monosyllabic dishwasher about his aloofness, breaks into a mocking rendition of Kajagoogoo's "Too Shy", another early MTV classic. Again, animation is employed, but this time, the optimism, in regard to love, found in "Take on Me" has given way to resignation, and finally, vehemence. No wallflower, struggling through his adolescence, would want to co-opt Jorge's constipated ideas about love. His cartoon bunny rabbits won't even rub noses. Jorge doesn't dare, perhaps, since he knows the cute Chinese waitress could never love him back. For sure, the schizophrenia doesn't help, but the real reason that prevents him from competing with Steve for Aimee's heart is his ramshackle appearance, whereas Charlie, despite being saddled with PSTD, earns Sam's love because the unformed freshman more than offsets his emotional problems with an appealing visage. Charlie is less a nerd than unathletic. At the outset, he suffers the indignity of eating alone in the school cafeteria, but you're never worried for him. That's why the budding writer comes off as whiny and disingenuous when he expresses a concern about not making friends to his teacher. He's good-looking.. Soon enough, Sam, and her half-brother Patrick, take Charlie under their wing, and introduces him to people, self-described as castaways on "the island of misfit toys", wallflowers all. He finds his tribe. The film, and the Steven Chbosky novel it's based on, thankfully, avoids the shortcut of outfitting the nerd with glasses, like, for instance, Dawn Wiener, the president of the Special People Club, in Welcome to the Dollhouse. Whereas the misfits find each other and stick together at Charlie's school, in the Todd Solondz film, the estranged outcasts at Dawn's junior high estrange themselves from each other, choosing to go it alone rather than garner strength in numbers. Here, the weak pick on the weaker, like when Troy, pinned against his locker by the resident 7th grade bullies, lashes out at Dawn for defending him. "Leave me alone, Wiener Dog," he grumbles, humiliated, doubly, since the girl who saves him is perceived as ugly. But even the consensus school pariah, the plucked to death wallflower, has a cruel streak, evoking Groucho Marx's famous quote: "I don't care to belong to any club that will have me as a member," when Ralphie, a charter, and only member of Dawn's social organization, hears himself being called an "a**hole" and a host of other obscenities, as Missy tries to get her older sister to take his phone call. Unlike Charlie, there is no midnight screenings of The Rocky Horror Picture Show" with friends, or being told by a girl that your first kiss should come from somebody who really loves you. Dawn has to settle for a sad night in her clubhouse with a boy, who in the way of introduction, tells her that he's going to rape her, as they stare at the night sky while Debbie Gibson's "Lost in Your Eyes" plays on a cheap tape recorder. Sam kisses Charlie because he has a naif-like animal magnetism. His predecessor, Lucas(from the 1986 film starring Corey Haim), does not, and as a result, Maggie, a cheerleader, rebuffs the younger boy's clumsy attempt at romance, by turning her lips away from his. When you're a wallflower that often gets confused for a weed, there are no perks. Expand
  11. May 26, 2013
    A lovely picture about coming of age, with great performances from the protagonists (watch out for Ezra miller who continues to impress after "We need to talk about Kevin") and great music (The Smiths, Bowie, etc). What more could one ask?
  12. Mar 20, 2013
    This film is so beautiful. It's perceptibly different from the novel, but I think it's a perfect adaption probably because of the fact that the author of the TPOBAW novel, Stephen Chbosky, did write the screenplay to the movie as well and even directed it. And he was successful. The cast is so right and the dialogues are fantastic. There are so many magnificent things about this movie,This film is so beautiful. It's perceptibly different from the novel, but I think it's a perfect adaption probably because of the fact that the author of the TPOBAW novel, Stephen Chbosky, did write the screenplay to the movie as well and even directed it. And he was successful. The cast is so right and the dialogues are fantastic. There are so many magnificent things about this movie, i.e. the awesome soundtrack or the beautiful pictures of the night, but my tiny issue with this film is the same that I had with the novel: the ending does seem a bit out of place. Though I have to say that the ending was way better than in the novel mainly because it just appears better with flashbacks and this wonderful score in the background. It's one excellent movie and not only for wallflowers. Expand
  13. Nov 13, 2014
    "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" 10 Scale Rating: 8.5 (Fantastic) ...

"The Perks of Being a Wallflower" 10 Scale Rating: 8.5 (Fantastic) ...

The Good: I don't typically like Logan Lerman, but he did an exceptional job in this film. Of course, his performance was dwarfed by Emma Watson and Ezra Miller but he still did a great job all the same. It is a powerful film that accurately portrays the awkwardness of high school and shows just how difficult it can actually be.

The Bad: There is an odd twist that pops up near the end that you don't see coming. I'm not sure why it was in the film because it certainly wasn't necessary. It obviously didn't ruin the film, but it did take away from it.
  14. Apr 14, 2013
    Easily the best 'coming of age' film I've seen and it's lead by three solid performances from the main players. For me it hit close to home on so many levels so I was always going to relate to it, and it will probably be one of my all-time favourite films for a while. There is so much to like about this film and the story that is told with it, but as mentioned it really is the performancesEasily the best 'coming of age' film I've seen and it's lead by three solid performances from the main players. For me it hit close to home on so many levels so I was always going to relate to it, and it will probably be one of my all-time favourite films for a while. There is so much to like about this film and the story that is told with it, but as mentioned it really is the performances that makes it what it is. Overall nothing short of amazing and a movie I would strong recommend. Expand
  15. Sep 21, 2012
    The new Emma Watson and Logan Lerman movie, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, the movies is really cool, great, emotive, and have much interesting elements, can have some mistakes, but the performances and the development of the story are really awesome.
  16. Jun 21, 2013
    The Perks OF Being a Wallflower is a fantastic movie. First of all, it wants to show you how bad it is when some kids are bullied and don't have any friends. Secondly, it is really moving and it has great plot. Emma, Ezra and Logan are gifted actors and their talent is shown in that film. A funny-sad movie that will make you think and people are likely to love that film. Thumb up!!
  17. BKM
    Feb 20, 2013
    It's not perfect (neither was the book for that matter), but Stephen Chbosky does an admirable job of translating his novel to the big screen. Much of the credit goes to the young cast, particularly Logan Lerman as Charlie, for deftly capturing the joy, anxiety and sexual confusion of adolescence in a way that few films even try to.
  18. Dec 13, 2012
    Just when I started thinking how different a teenage drama could be; how complicated things could be; how many topics could be adjusted in a single plot; how much emotional a teenage movie could be; a person named Stephen Chbosky came up and blew my mind away with his surprising vision. Written and directed by Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower is an exceptionalJust when I started thinking how different a teenage drama could be; how complicated things could be; how many topics could be adjusted in a single plot; how much emotional a teenage movie could be; a person named Stephen Chbosky came up and blew my mind away with his surprising vision. Written and directed by Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower is an exceptional coming-of-age film, even one of the best I have watched this year. Why do I consider it one of the best? Film's storyline, its characters and their brilliant performances, the narration and those funny, emotional and uplifting moments spread throughout the film. Talking about the characters, the main characters include Charlie Kelmeckis (played by Logan Lerman) who is a shy, socially awkward and unpopular high school student who lost his best friend recently but he is also sensitive and a serious thinker which makes him different from others. Logan Lerman has played the role really well, regardless of your age, you can feel connected to him and feel his emotions, making it the best peformance of Logan so far. His friends Patrick (played by Ezra Miller) and Sam (played by Emma Watson) are the ones who change his life in a certain way. Both of them give wonderful performances, Watson never disappoints me, whatever role is given to her, she does it extremely well. Ezra Miller's performance is also quite strong, I liked it a lot. He is funny, he makes everyone laugh but deep down, he is depressed and not a lot of people know about it. All of the characters in the film are likeable, whether they are positive or negative, the film's environment is wonderful, I felt really great while watching it. I haven't read the novel so I don't know how much both the movie and the novel vary from each other but I'm completely satisfied as a movie lover, it did the magic for me, it moved me emotionally, it is powerful and soft at the same time. I have decided that the Perks of Being a Wallflower is one of the best films of the year. Expand
  19. Dec 13, 2012
    Surprising amount of depth for a high school drama. Has the feel of not being watered down in any sense (the author being the director has something to do with that). It goes without saying that the cast is outstanding.
  20. Mar 24, 2013
    You feel the love and joy and emotion that Charlie goes through during the film. Fabulous acting and was very relatable to my own life and struggles.
  21. Feb 26, 2013
    “The Perks of Being a Wallflower” is a film about living life and not letting fear bind you. There also so many more underlining themes and messages within the film, such as lying, being more involved, loyalty, and so much more. It also deals with the complications of high school and the needing to fit in. It felt a lot of these themes are handled well, but the film tends to gloss over“The Perks of Being a Wallflower” is a film about living life and not letting fear bind you. There also so many more underlining themes and messages within the film, such as lying, being more involved, loyalty, and so much more. It also deals with the complications of high school and the needing to fit in. It felt a lot of these themes are handled well, but the film tends to gloss over some of it. While not a big problem, it would just allow more depth to the story.

The writing in the film is fairly strong. Like I said it handles a lot of themes, but again the film tends to gloss over some tiny things that could have made it better. For example, early on in the film the character talks about a friend he recently lost, which causes him to become so introverted, but we don’t get any real back story. On the other hand the three main characters are fairly well developed and they truly make the film. The directing is good and I like the ambiance that is created. We get a good sense of high school and the life of a teenager. A really great thing the director manages to accomplish is making us feel what the main character is feeling. When he’s shy, we’re shy, when he’s awkward, we feel awkward, and when he’s happy, we feel his happiness.

The characters and acting are what makes this movie so good. Logan Lerman as Charlie is the awkward teenager with a troubled past. Logan does a good job of capturing the insecurities the character feels, He has little twitches and subtle body language that speaks volumes about the character. I really like how we see this character gradually changes and opens up. Emma Watson as Sam is the girl with the bad rep that’s trying to reinvent herself. She’s kind of loud at first, but when we pull away her facade we get a girl that really cares and needs some guidance. Ezra Miller as Patrick is the loud gay friend at least on the surface. As we pull back his carefree attitude we see just how much trouble he has as well. The thing about the characters in this movie is that they all have more depth to them. We learn more about them and fall in love with them.

Overall “The Perks of Being a Wallflower,” is a pretty good film with a positive message. The writing is fairly strong, but I just wish that they would have gone more in depth with certain issues. However, the characters are likable and well performed. I give it a very high 4/5, good story with strong characters, but it just needed to go deeper into its themes.
  22. Nov 13, 2014
    The Perks Of Being A Wallflower is a great unsentimental movie, it's so honest and beautiful. Also great performances from Logan Lerman, Ezra Miller and Emma Watson
  23. Mar 15, 2013
    Charlie is a shy freshman who has just started High School. He has never felt watched to anyone besides his best friend who recently committed suicide and his aunt who was killed in a road traffic collision on his 7th birthday. When he befriends two seniors though his world is turned upside down, he finally feels accepted and as if he has friends. He gets a new best friend in the form ofCharlie is a shy freshman who has just started High School. He has never felt watched to anyone besides his best friend who recently committed suicide and his aunt who was killed in a road traffic collision on his 7th birthday. When he befriends two seniors though his world is turned upside down, he finally feels accepted and as if he has friends. He gets a new best friend in the form of Patrck a homosexual class clown, and his step-sister Sam who he falls in love with. However due to complications in all of their lives things start to spiral rapidly downhill for all three of them they realise they must confront their demons that they thought they had buried and make themselves better people from it.
    The Perks of Being A Wallflower is the best feel good film I have ever seen, it deals with a huge amount of social and moral issues perfectly and knits them together with a great story, believable characters and a well picked cast. Wallflower is one of 2012's must see films
  24. Nov 29, 2012
    I was a skeptic. I have been a fan of the book for a decade, and when I saw the previews for the film adaptation I cringed. I was wrong in my assumption that this movie would blow. It's a great film. The cast is perfect, and my heart felt for the characters onscreen, just as it did each time I read the book. It's destined to be a cult classic, or perhaps something even more. It's meant forI was a skeptic. I have been a fan of the book for a decade, and when I saw the previews for the film adaptation I cringed. I was wrong in my assumption that this movie would blow. It's a great film. The cast is perfect, and my heart felt for the characters onscreen, just as it did each time I read the book. It's destined to be a cult classic, or perhaps something even more. It's meant for those of us who are sensitive, and it works wonderfully on that level. One of my favorite picks of the year. Expand
  25. Mar 19, 2013
    Per un adulto e visto da fuori, ‘Noi siamo infinito’ un lavoro da prendere con le molle. I film sui liceali sono sempre a rischio di scatenare l'orticaria, basta vedere quelli che ammannisce Italia 1, e il fatto che alla regia ci sia Chbosky che, praticamente all'esordio, segue la sua sceneggiatura tratta da un suo libro, può solo acuire i sospetti. Beh, non necessario attendere laPer un adulto e visto da fuori, ‘Noi siamo infinito’ un lavoro da prendere con le molle. I film sui liceali sono sempre a rischio di scatenare l'orticaria, basta vedere quelli che ammannisce Italia 1, e il fatto che alla regia ci sia Chbosky che, praticamente all'esordio, segue la sua sceneggiatura tratta da un suo libro, può solo acuire i sospetti. Beh, non necessario attendere la conclusione dei cento minuti di durata per rendersi conto che, questa volta, i pre-giudizi sono del tutto infondati: la storia dell'introverso Charlie e della sua amicizia con i fratellastri Sam(antha) e Patrick conquista da subito grazie al disegno preciso e delicato dei personaggi e a un ritmo che non viene mai meno pur raccontando un'evoluzione psicologica che si sviluppa attraverso i piccoli fatti di ogni giorno. Tra lezioni, feste da ballo e azzardate reinterpretazioni del ‘Rocky horror picture show’, Chbosky segue con affetto i suoi personaggi che, per un modo o per l'altro, sono figure ai margini del loro piccolo liceo di provincia: per questo, appena arrivato, Charlie si trova subito in sintonia con Sam, che ha fama di ragazza facile con la tendenza a mettersi con l'uomo sbagliato, e Patrick, omosessuale innamorato di uno dei giocatori della squadra di football, che sono invece all'ultimo anno (uno dei pochi difetti del film che la differenza d'età non si nota e, infatti, Lerman e Miller sono quasi coetanei) e insieme cercano di darsi una mano a superare i rispettivi problemi. Oltre alla naturale ritrosia e a una passione per i libri alimentata dal professor Anderson (immancabile ‘Il giovane Holden’), il protagonista si porta a spasso anche un trauma infantile: il rapporto con la zia Helen un po' pretestuoso in verità, tanto che la sua assenza avrebbe reso più omogeneo il racconto, ma viene utilizzato come catalizzatore della crisi che, dopo lo spavento, aiuta tutti quanti a crescere, adulti (forse) compresi. Con tali premesse, quasi superfluo sottolineare come tutto il film sia permeato di una diffusa tristezza, che del resto una caratteristica costante nelle migliori opere legate all'adolescenza: risulta perciò assai azzeccato che la prima svolta nel racconto sia legata ad ‘Asleep’ degli Smiths, le cui splendide perle pop sono immancabilmente immerse nella malinconia che evoca gli ‘anni importanti’ della crescita. Del resto, tutta la colonna sonora molto ben curata, inanellando una serie di brani per la maggior parte di provenienza ‘indie’ come quelli che i ragazzi si scambiano con insistenza su cassetta (l'ambientazione all'inizio degli anni Novanta): ci sono la contagiosa ‘Come on Eileen’, gli Xtc in principio sorge un sospetto di anglofilia poi dissipato i Pavement, i Cracker e altri che elencare sarebbe troppo lungo, ma tra i quali trova posto persino Joey Ramone alle prese con la spectoriana ‘Christmas (Baby please come home)’. Si riesce così anche ad accettare che, in quel periodo, dei diciottenni appassionati di musica non conoscessero ‘Heroes’ di David Bowie, canzone che, da parte sua, conferma ancora una volta la fascinosa cinematograficità nelle belle scene del tunnel. Queste ultime sono le uniche costruite allo scopo di aggiungere pathos al momento, mentre il resto del film si mantiene allineato alla semplicità delle situazioni in modo ammirevole, caratteristica che, assieme a una fotografia che predilige i toni caldi, amplifica l'empatia dello spettatore: il resto lo fanno gli interpreti, con i maschietti che forse si fanno preferire trascinati dal faccino pulito del bravo Lerman e al più problematico Patrick di Miller, ma anche con una Emma Watson capace di regalare a Sam le giuste sfumature a testimonianza che forse c’è vita oltre Hermione Granger. Expand
  26. Jan 6, 2015
    Charming, lovely, and smart film. Relatable characters and adolescent/coming-of-age situations. Great acting and of course there's the lovely Emma Watson. Are you feeling infinite?
  27. Jun 17, 2013
    It is honest, sweet and heartbreaking, it is a masterpiece about what life is at high school, it shows how people are different and always hide dark secrets, as a movie it is great with acting and plot and don't forget the soundtrack, the classics, it is really amazing, but it is imperfect, still some glitches won't harm this wonderful movie!
  28. Oct 31, 2012
    This is a broken back film--its first hour plus is a typical high school story about an in group of jocks and cheerleader types versus the sensitive or flamboyantly odd rebels; its last forty minutes is a case history about a severely disturbed young man and the beginnings of his cure. The main reason to see it is a young actor named Logan Lerman who gives an astounding performance. HeThis is a broken back film--its first hour plus is a typical high school story about an in group of jocks and cheerleader types versus the sensitive or flamboyantly odd rebels; its last forty minutes is a case history about a severely disturbed young man and the beginnings of his cure. The main reason to see it is a young actor named Logan Lerman who gives an astounding performance. He has the combination of vulnerability, intelligence, and tensile strength that Toby Maguire has, and he makes the movie. Expand
  29. Nov 7, 2013
    I can not put into words, is such a great feeling that any compliment he shall not be entitled to all that it means, is so sensitive, innocent and profound is a perfect movie.
  30. Feb 1, 2013
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower proves to be one of the finest coming-of-age films in years. The film was adapted and directed by, none other than, Stephen Chbosky, the author of the cult novel of the same name. He successfully captured teenage angst, the bohemian culture of the unpopular and more personally, the trials of a terribly introverted youth; in ways that only he couldThe Perks of Being a Wallflower proves to be one of the finest coming-of-age films in years. The film was adapted and directed by, none other than, Stephen Chbosky, the author of the cult novel of the same name. He successfully captured teenage angst, the bohemian culture of the unpopular and more personally, the trials of a terribly introverted youth; in ways that only he could accomplish. Such a fresh script was written for this memorable indie film, there was no way the three principal cast could stumble. Logan Lerman, Emma Watson and Ezra Miller all give moving performances, and fill the screen with characters you can’t help but root for, whether or not you agree with their lifestyle or choices. As brief as this review may be; I really enjoyed this film, down to its awesome soundtrack and its hazy conclusion. Brisk and to the point, I highly recommend this tale, set in the early 1990’s, to all. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Joe Williams
    Oct 5, 2012
    Too modest to become a worldwide phenomenon, but sensitive teens and their older kin who pine for the '90s may want to take it for a spin on the dance floor.
  2. Reviewed by: Steve Persall
    Oct 3, 2012
    I adore The Perks of Being a Wallflower for its honest, unsentimental feel, which gets stretched a bit in the revelatory finale, but by then I didn't mind.
  3. Reviewed by: Dan Jolin
    Oct 1, 2012
    An honest, affection-hooking, coming-of-age drama which proves that there is life beyond Hogwarts for Emma Watson.