8.4

1. May 22, 2015
    40 on Metacritic is a joke. Seriously. Go through any of the critics reviews and you will find they are just **** about Joel Schumacher in general and not the great work he did on this film. Phantom is probably the best musical of all-time.
  2. WJS
    Dec 6, 2014
    Very lavish production full of amazing costumes and sets but even the fantastic music can't help this melodramatic, overwrought elephantine film as it lumbers across the screen. It seems to be miscast to me with the very stagey performances just not able to keep up with the spectacle of it all.
  3. Sep 16, 2014
    I hate musicals, but this is different. The music is just perfect, the story is just perfect, I can not understand why this film has a low Metascore.
    But not everything is good, I think the book is better than the movie and if the movie were like the book, the movie would have been better
  4. Aug 13, 2014
    The musical may not be very clever, but this 2004 theatrical release is much better than its average stage production. Beautiful visuals and a great performance of the music with an extended orchestra and its leads' decent execution. The whole attempt pretty much compensates for the lack of the stage experience. I'm a little surprised with some people eulogizing Webber's music, though.
  5. Apr 4, 2014
    A good movie . but not that much violence. the movie is okay but the musical is just to annoying and not something to enjoy about this . Grade C+ ....
  6. Mar 9, 2014
    The Phantom of the Opera remake is decidedly uninspired and not very enjoyable most of the time. The visual spectacle is definitely there, but the magic stops there as well.
  7. Oct 20, 2013
    It's really a SPECTACULAR movie. The music and the effects are AMAZING. Gerard and Emmy did a really good job as Erik and Christine. Once I started watching I couldn't stop singing songs from it. The music is like drugs, once started you can't stop. The musical though is a little better than the movie.
  8. Jul 8, 2012
    Well acted, Beautiful Music and a great storyline keeps this movie going until the very end
  9. Jun 3, 2012
    Sadly This Movie Does Not Catch Your Eye At The End.. Or Really Any Place In The Movie..
    The Cast Is Very Bland And Boring As The Movie..
    Minnie Driver Does A Good Job Though..
  10. Jan 13, 2012
    I loved this movie! I have watched the movie many more times than I can count. I love Emmy Rossum. She looks so beautiful throughout the whole movie. I also love Jennifer Ellison. She is so cute. Gerard Butler was a little pitchy at times but overall not bad at all. I really dislike Carlotta though. She makes me want to scream.
  11. Zal
    Jan 11, 2012
    It's certainly an improvement for Joel Schumacher since Batman and Robin, but I still did not enjoy this film.
    With the exception of Erik, all of these characters are completely bland. This is not the fault of Schumacher or any of the actors. None of these characters, especially Raoul and Christine, were very interesting to begin with. And even Erik in this film isn't that deep, especially when you see that his "deformity" is really just a big rash. It doesn't look that bad and it makes his song about his face seem, well, somewhat pretentious, which is a word that I feel sad using to describe one of my favorite literary anti-heroes.
    The acting isn't that great either. The only one who I thought did a decent job was Patrick Wilson as Raoul. Then there is poor Miranda Richardson doing an incredibly over the top French accent that was hard not to laugh at. This is sad because I genuinly love Miranda Richardson and think she is a fantastic actress, but her acting in this movie was terrible. I don't even understand why she has that accent since everyone else is phoning it in and just doing a British accent, with the exception of Carlotta (since she is Italian) and Raoul and Christine, who for some reason speak with American accents.
    The costumes and sets are creative and well made and some of the singing isn't bad, but it just wasn't a pleasant experience for me.
  12. Sep 30, 2011
    "The Phantom of the Opera" isn't much of a entertaining movie. The acting isn't good and the story is just obedient to the musical. Its the music that you'll like, just the music.
  13. Sep 15, 2011
    First and foremost, the Broadway musical production is (ha!) SO much better than this. Not to say that it was a bad adaptation: Gerard Butler sure did a fantastic job as the titular character. The main thing that really angered me about this is that a lot of the scenes were scrapped and/or changed--some of which would have even made more sense on camera than onstage, such as the graveyardFirst and foremost, the Broadway musical production is (ha!) SO much better than this. Not to say that it was a bad adaptation: Gerard Butler sure did a fantastic job as the titular character. The main thing that really angered me about this is that a lot of the scenes were scrapped and/or changed--some of which would have even made more sense on camera than onstage, such as the graveyard scene where the Phantom throws fireballs at Raoul. Some of the altered scenes, I can say, were clearly done to make it appear as a film rather than a direct copy of a Broadway musical, such as the opening scene and the final scene (neither of which I will give away, because the majority of the film is in a flashback, so technically, giving away the beginning would be partially giving away the ending). Cinematically, though, THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA is captivating and brilliant, if, as noted above, flawed. Expand
  14. Jun 26, 2011
    I wanted to just describe this movie in one word (terrible) but unfortunately I have to use 150 characters. Gerard Butler was terrible, the all acting was terrible, the story was terrible, everything was terrible, there was not a single good thing in this movie.
  15. Oct 14, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i didn't pay a cent for watching this movie, thanks heaven... for those who said "oh, i luv the phantom, oh i luv the costumes blah blah blah..." let me tell you, this movie sucks in a very very disgusting way... the plot is full of holes... they totally changed it from the original story! there is no sense of consistency between scenes! the actors, oh my **** god, they suck!! i mean, epic suck.
    someone said "Wow!The Movie was great. I love the Phantom. I dont like Raoul.Christine & Phantom 4ever! " ... well, that kind of thought means you are a complete brainless idiot... avoid making a fool out of yourselves with that kind of comments. sayonara.
  16. Aug 17, 2010
    It's curious so many critics panned this. Pretty watchable, if predictable, with timeless, catchy tunes. The female lead, Emmy Rossum, was very good. Think a strange hybrid of Moulin Rouge and Frankenstein.
  17. David
    Sep 13, 2009
    This is, by far, my favorite movie of all times. The music is absolutely amazing, and all the actors/actresses did an outstanding job. I have to have seen it practically a million times, and I still get chills listening to the music, which I have the sound track of on my mp3 player, cell phone, computer, burned CD's for my stereo, et cetera. I literally listen to it all the time. But This is, by far, my favorite movie of all times. The music is absolutely amazing, and all the actors/actresses did an outstanding job. I have to have seen it practically a million times, and I still get chills listening to the music, which I have the sound track of on my mp3 player, cell phone, computer, burned CD's for my stereo, et cetera. I literally listen to it all the time. But I love not just the music, but all of the elements that went in to making this masterpiece. As previously mentioned, the actors and actresses did an excellent job. Gerard Butler held so much emotion so realistically, and Emmy Rossum did an excellent job with regards to her portrayal of dependence to her father and the "Angel of Music." Patrick Wilson, Minnie Driver, Miranda Richardson, and Jennifer Ellison played their roles excellently as well. As a side note, by looking at Ellison's (Meg's) character, her entire costume, posture, and voice all match her character perfectly. I also love how every trap, et cetera, that the Phantom created for his labyrinth in the film would have been technically possible (if improbable) to have created in the time period in which the movie took place, with only the money he received from the opera. I was afraid that Schumacher would put impossible effects, such as the Mirror if it hadn't been shown to slide open, into the movie for effects purposed, but it was made clear that he did not. The only thing that came close to impossible in my opinion would have been the lit candles emerging from the "vast, glassy lake," however, after some research on my own part, I learned that the technology of using certain fossil fuels to accomplish that task had been around long before the time period of the movie. All-in-all, this movie is amazing and if anyone tries to dispute that fact, go and see the movie for yourself before succumbing to that belief. Expand
  18. ViggoS.
    Jun 7, 2009
    I always thought that Gerard Butler was straight, but i don't anymore. this movie is so boring, that it would kill a hamster. (In lovely memory of my hamster) the hold story doesn't make any sense.
  19. JoshL
    Apr 12, 2009
    Ugh. The music isn't what bugs me. Its the fact that this attempts to be a musical drama that holds no dramatic interest. Schumacher is so interested in making his first good film that he focuses on everything asthetic and nothing human. I felt nothing thru the entire movie. There's no suspense at all. I had never read the original book or seen the play and I still managed to Ugh. The music isn't what bugs me. Its the fact that this attempts to be a musical drama that holds no dramatic interest. Schumacher is so interested in making his first good film that he focuses on everything asthetic and nothing human. I felt nothing thru the entire movie. There's no suspense at all. I had never read the original book or seen the play and I still managed to predict what happened next. Maybe if it attempted to be edgy instead of pretending while still remainng pretty harmless. Every man in this film is a little girl and the women just don't THINK! There is a talented cast that gets squandered by an overly sappy ending filled with pointless reprises (seriously? the Phantoms dramatic contemplative moment is to Masqurade? I laughed out loud) and anti-climactic confrontations. This gets a 3 simply because of the very talented Emmy Rossum who does all she can to save the movie and is also super hot. I see why the phantom is nuts for her. Expand
  20. KendraP.
    Nov 17, 2008
    I really do like this movie! The songs are very inviting...Not to mention the opera house is so beautiful... i can't take my eyes off of the screen when the movie is playing it is a tear jerker! the only thing i hate is the end!
  21. ElaB.
    Oct 24, 2008
    Due to the unremarkable critical reception and my little-to-no previous Phantom knowledge I was fully expecting to hate this film version but to my surprise I've fallen in love with it. The costumes and sets, whilst sometimes over-the-top are really stunning. Emmy Rossum is perfect as the painfully naive chorus girl and Gerard Butler swings brilliantly from intimidating to seductive Due to the unremarkable critical reception and my little-to-no previous Phantom knowledge I was fully expecting to hate this film version but to my surprise I've fallen in love with it. The costumes and sets, whilst sometimes over-the-top are really stunning. Emmy Rossum is perfect as the painfully naive chorus girl and Gerard Butler swings brilliantly from intimidating to seductive to pitiful to downright evil as the Phantom and though he doesn't sing every note perfectly he more than makes up for that out of pure expressiveness. Although it has to be said the deformity could do with being more severe, seeing as Gerard still looks hot to me in the Final Lair scenes. Patrick Wilson (a very good actor in films such as Hard Candy and Little Children) does his best with the one-dimensional prince charming of the tale and does have a lovely voice (although his accent is painfully obvious), which is a perfect foil for Gerard's rougher, more sensual tones. However his and Emmy's lack of chemistry compared to her's with Butler leaves most women scratching their heads at how Christine could prefer Raoul. The end is heartbreaking, if you don't cry your tear ducts are malfunctioning. Expand
  22. POTOredrose
    Aug 20, 2008
    One of my favorite movies...Gerard Butler gave a very powerful and captivating performance and the entire cast did a great job !!
  23. Guido
    Apr 4, 2008
    This is one of the worst, if not the worst flm I have ever seen. I can only ascribe the myriad of 10 ratings that this film has recieved to the brain damage of teh respective reviewers, or perhaps they were so abused as children that thye no longer can tell good from bad. This movie is criminally bad, a constipated, bombastic, kitsch, heinous, trainwreck of a film that is an embarrassment This is one of the worst, if not the worst flm I have ever seen. I can only ascribe the myriad of 10 ratings that this film has recieved to the brain damage of teh respective reviewers, or perhaps they were so abused as children that thye no longer can tell good from bad. This movie is criminally bad, a constipated, bombastic, kitsch, heinous, trainwreck of a film that is an embarrassment to articulate human beings. I gave it a 1 because I can imagine less pleasant experiences such as having boiling acid injected directly into my eyes whilst. I don't think my ears will ever recover. Expand
  24. Katie
    Mar 24, 2008
    The movie helps the audience graps the play a little better because of the way they moved scenes around. But you can't compare a movie to the play. when you are in the opera house watching the play it feels like you are in the opera house that the Phantom of the Opera is taken place in. The Phantoms voice makes your hair sticks on end...and you too fall in love with the phantom. The The movie helps the audience graps the play a little better because of the way they moved scenes around. But you can't compare a movie to the play. when you are in the opera house watching the play it feels like you are in the opera house that the Phantom of the Opera is taken place in. The Phantoms voice makes your hair sticks on end...and you too fall in love with the phantom. The movie gives the viewers none of that. Expand
  25. TaylaM.
    Dec 26, 2007
    This HAS to be my favorite movie of all time. i basicly listen to it every day. I wish i could sing like any of them. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!
  26. BrittM.
    Nov 19, 2007
    I have seen the production of Phantom of the Opera on stage about 3 times, because I, myself sing. I go to an auditioned school for the performing arts. I was not a huge fan of the stage production, but when I saw the movie, I was astounded. It is clearer and easier to understand. Plus the musical quality is superb. Christine's [Emmy Rossum's] voice was pure and beautiful, which I have seen the production of Phantom of the Opera on stage about 3 times, because I, myself sing. I go to an auditioned school for the performing arts. I was not a huge fan of the stage production, but when I saw the movie, I was astounded. It is clearer and easier to understand. Plus the musical quality is superb. Christine's [Emmy Rossum's] voice was pure and beautiful, which is what the character's voice was supposed to sound like. It wasn't supposed to be overpowering, but just pure beauty. Gerard Butler's voice had so much emotion. I must admit, I thought the Phantom was sexy. Also, I must say that the Point of No Ruturn scene was amazing. I cried and I never cry when I seea movie. The passion in that scene is undeniable- I could feel it. I had chills. Also, I know we are on the computer, but if you are going to type a "sophisticated" review bashing the film, first of all, learn how to spell words correctly, and second, take a look at the quality of the performance, and what was meant for each individual character. I must say, beautiful. Expand
  27. TonyLC
    Mar 4, 2007
    One of my favourite movies. The production/direction/cinematography is astonishing. I love the transitions, esp the transition from B/W to color at the beginning. Keep in mind that this is a movie not a play. The visuals and the acting are paramount, not the operatic singing. Gerard Butler is excellent, showing the rage of a madman. I have watched it 7 times already.
  28. Simon
    Dec 7, 2006
    Come on, don't think we can't spot that the User Ratings for this film have been seriously rigged...you could at least have made it a bit more subtle by giving the odd 8 or 9...strings of 10's are just too blatant. It's a so-bad-it's-rather-funny film, and I wouldn't put anybody who wanted a giggle off watching it on that basis.
  29. TrishaK.
    Dec 5, 2006
    This Movie is now my favorite. I love the music, but was taken back by the phantom, Gerard Butler, I love the way he sings with emotion. I have heard the other excellent opera singers on stage, but this version is very pasionate, romantic and great singing. This version did not have any boring parts. All the actors were excellent. I think there would be no story if there was no passion This Movie is now my favorite. I love the music, but was taken back by the phantom, Gerard Butler, I love the way he sings with emotion. I have heard the other excellent opera singers on stage, but this version is very pasionate, romantic and great singing. This version did not have any boring parts. All the actors were excellent. I think there would be no story if there was no passion between the phantom and Christine, would just be a horror picture of sorts. Also, I think the phantom did get the human connection in the end, he was isolated, but at the end he definitely made a heroic choice and moral. Think Meg was going to run after him at the end there...hmm who knows a sequel. Meg joins him, Chrisine later at 25 wonders what the phantom is up to?? Another triangle? Expand
  30. kellie
    Nov 10, 2006
    This is absolutely powering. something just comes over you watching this film. the actors bring such feeling to the roles. incredible film.
  31. JaclynT.
    Sep 3, 2006
    words can't explain what came over me when i watched the movie for the first time. i felt like my soul was being sucked in. patrick wilson, emmy rossums, gerard butler, and everyone else couldn't have been any better. emmy rossums couldn't done any better and be anymore beautiful! gerard's voice is AMAZING. so is his acting. patrick wilson couldn't be any more words can't explain what came over me when i watched the movie for the first time. i felt like my soul was being sucked in. patrick wilson, emmy rossums, gerard butler, and everyone else couldn't have been any better. emmy rossums couldn't done any better and be anymore beautiful! gerard's voice is AMAZING. so is his acting. patrick wilson couldn't be any more better except for the fact that his hair was totally gross. i agree with monica d.! gerard is hot! (he kinda reminded me of elvis at one point...) phantom should have gone with phantom because the poor man can't be left. also because he can't get anyone else...no one loves him. at least with raoul he could get some other to like him. this movie was awesome! anyone who thinks the movie stinks; stinks themselves because the ending was so dreadfully sad. I think the movie should get AT LEAST a 8...and no less. Expand
  32. TerriM.
    Aug 26, 2006
    Absolutely loved it. The voice of the actor playing the Phantom is awesome, powerful, mesmerizing. And the actress playing Christine couldn't be better.
  33. PatriciaA.
    Aug 4, 2006
    I love this movie. Its one of my favorites and when You meet the actor is all worth while.
  34. Katherine
    Jul 28, 2006
    Why did they make this? I mean the fun of watching the first one is becuase it's in black and white and it's silent. I think thats the fun. But this is in color and in sound. Just like most of the other re-makes.
  35. KatieM.
    Jun 23, 2006
    Emmy Rossum voice was angelic. Beautiful. I've heard many different recordings of different Christine'a and her's was one of the best I've ever seen or heard. Stunning!
  36. Susan
    Apr 23, 2006
    I saw Phantom in the theaters one year ago, and continue to be swept away by it. I have two of the DVD (both one and two disc sets) and the soudtrack. It still remains as my favortie movie of all time. I know that GerardButler has a new fan. I have purchased six other movies he was in, and think that he is the best actor I have seen. Joel, you are a genius at casting once again.
  37. CathyM.
    Apr 20, 2006
    Maybe It's just because I'm drawn to men of Celtic descent but Gerard Butler has so much talent and it appears a dedication to craft and a charisma that doesn't stop. I liked it so much I bought the DVD. everytime I view it I see or hear something that I missed previously. I didn't even know who the cast was or had heard of them untill this film. Can hardly wait to see Maybe It's just because I'm drawn to men of Celtic descent but Gerard Butler has so much talent and it appears a dedication to craft and a charisma that doesn't stop. I liked it so much I bought the DVD. everytime I view it I see or hear something that I missed previously. I didn't even know who the cast was or had heard of them untill this film. Can hardly wait to see imparticular some more Butler films. He's almost knocked my favorite Scot off his throne. Of course, that is Sean Connery. Yes there were a few scene errors I saw myself, but that just added to this films' charm. I will play this film over and over again untill the DVD won't play anylonger and then I'll purchase another! Congratulations to the whole cast and crew for bringing this to life. Expand
  38. Brenda
    Mar 20, 2006
    I think the movie is absolutely fantastic! I saw the musical three times on stage so I was afraid to see it in the theater, thinking I would be disappointed. The movie has been airing on Cinemax, so I finally watched it, at least 10 times so far. When it is on I can't take my eyes off of it! Gerard Butler is so mesmerizing, I fall in love with him every time I watch, and I'm I think the movie is absolutely fantastic! I saw the musical three times on stage so I was afraid to see it in the theater, thinking I would be disappointed. The movie has been airing on Cinemax, so I finally watched it, at least 10 times so far. When it is on I can't take my eyes off of it! Gerard Butler is so mesmerizing, I fall in love with him every time I watch, and I'm happily married! Emmy is so beautiful, the perfect Christine. Patrick Wilson is so handsome as Roul and has one of the most beautiful voices I've ever heard. He's from my home town, St. Petersburg, Florida. His father and brother are both news anchors on the local news. Most of his family sings, and they do benefit concerts sometimes. And Minnie Driver.....who knew? She was amazing, and what a hot ticket as Charlotta! My kids loved her. All of the characters were right for the part, but that gorgeous Gerard Butler is what reeld me in. I read how horribIe it was for him to wear that prostetic face & make up, and how his face was bruised from the mask. He got 3 hours of sleep each night for weeks. Kudos! What else can I say? I'm obsessed and I love it! Expand
  39. DoloresS.
    Mar 12, 2006
    I have watched The Phantom on stage so many times and just watched the movie after a year. I thought , it was not a good movie, but after watching it, I love the way the performers portray their part. Why others keep comparing the movie and the Phantom on stage? Cannot compare an apple to an orange. If there is no Phantom on stage (theater), they will still appreciate this French novel I have watched The Phantom on stage so many times and just watched the movie after a year. I thought , it was not a good movie, but after watching it, I love the way the performers portray their part. Why others keep comparing the movie and the Phantom on stage? Cannot compare an apple to an orange. If there is no Phantom on stage (theater), they will still appreciate this French novel seen on movies. Set aside my soundtract of Michael Crawford and Sarah B., and listen to the new, sweet, romantic, passionate , husky, manly voice of Gerard's version. Expand
  40. Scarlett
    Feb 15, 2006
    Very good movie with excellent music. The thing I didn't understand - what Christine found about Raoul? Emmy Rossum and Gerard Butler were great and Minnie Driver as Charlotta - super.
  41. L.H.
    Feb 11, 2006
    Love this movie. Gerard Butler, Emmy Rossum, Patrick Wilson all do a great job in the DVD which i definately loved. any one who rates low is crazy.
  42. JennieV.
    Feb 9, 2006
    Be as it may be, the book, the play, the movie, any rendition of this WONDERFUL story must be taken for what it is and who is conveying it. You can't compare and contrast everything or you'll never get the full aspect and wonder of this tale. I've read the book, seen the play, have the play on CD, and now finally have seen the movie. I am now officially obscessed; with each Be as it may be, the book, the play, the movie, any rendition of this WONDERFUL story must be taken for what it is and who is conveying it. You can't compare and contrast everything or you'll never get the full aspect and wonder of this tale. I've read the book, seen the play, have the play on CD, and now finally have seen the movie. I am now officially obscessed; with each unique version. This has been my favorite story FOREVER and it will continute to be....and just 2 words...Gerard Butler...wow-wee-oo-wow!! And the other actors are tremendous! I cry my eyes out EVERY time. I always feel so bad for the Phantom.....he just wanted to be loved...I hope this story contunues on in the future as long as it already has and I feel honored to have been able to see every aspect of others ideas. Expand
  43. A.B.
    Feb 5, 2006
    it would be much better if the voices were stronger, but all around it is pretty good. except for the fact that the phantom is HORRIBLE!
  44. MonicaD.
    Jan 22, 2006
    I think that some of the people who voted this movie below an 8 are ridiculous. I'm sorry, but this movie was fantastic!! I saw the play after the movie and it was tough not to compare them, good or bad, but I loved it. What really made me mad after seeing the play was the casting for Roul! I don't think I've ever heard of Patrick Wilson, but (and I hope at least someone I think that some of the people who voted this movie below an 8 are ridiculous. I'm sorry, but this movie was fantastic!! I saw the play after the movie and it was tough not to compare them, good or bad, but I loved it. What really made me mad after seeing the play was the casting for Roul! I don't think I've ever heard of Patrick Wilson, but (and I hope at least someone agrees with me) his hair is disgusting! The guy who played Roul for the show I saw was better looking and a better singer. Some people think Roul is hot, but I really dissagree. Gerard Butler on the other hand I thought was extremely hot! He was kind of weird at the beginning but after I heard him sing I just melted. He was fantastic and he didn't shake convulsively when Christine kissed him either, like the Phantom onstage (even though he was awesome). After he layed Christine on that bed during Music of the Night there was a lip-synched mess-up there, you could see it. Emmy Rossum did really well-- I had no idea she could sing, I just knew she was in The Day After Tomorrow. The ending made me get choked up because it was so sad (the whole flashback thing). I think a lot of people agree with me here, that Christine should've picked the Phantom over Roul. The book was good too, but what surprised me in it that the Phantom's name was ERIC!! I don't know, that just doesn't seem to fit the whole idea about him. And once again to beat on Roul, he was a crybaby throughout the whole book. There was a whole other character in it, the Persian, he would've had a really cool part, but it's only for the end. Also, if you never understood that thing about the "Hand at the level of your eye", you have to read the book. It's about pretecting yourself from a lasso or something like that. Overall, this movie was more than fantastic, and the story is so romantic and beautiful that this movie deserves at least a rating of 8. Expand
  45. StephanieW.
    Jan 20, 2006
    Love this movie. Gerard Butler makes an incredible phantom. None other compares.
  46. Akkei
    Jan 16, 2006
    This movie was the best I have watched in a long time. I disagree with those that gave it a low rating. Gerald Butler did a superb acting job playing the phantom, he even managed to shed real tears in the end. Emmy Rossom started out a little unsure it seemed but quickly seemed to grow confident later on. Patrick Wilson did a fairly good acting job. But I have no complaints to the singing This movie was the best I have watched in a long time. I disagree with those that gave it a low rating. Gerald Butler did a superb acting job playing the phantom, he even managed to shed real tears in the end. Emmy Rossom started out a little unsure it seemed but quickly seemed to grow confident later on. Patrick Wilson did a fairly good acting job. But I have no complaints to the singing at all. Sure a few mistakes were made here and there but they are human. Expand
  47. Sarah
    Jan 15, 2006
    Best movie of all time. This movie could be much better without Raoul. Christine should choose The Phantom, because he is so nice & handsome, despite mask, that covered his face. He just couldnt be a violent kiler, who haunts Opera House. All I Ask of You is good song, although, it is love between Raoul & Christine. I think, she really is attracted to Phantom more than to Raoul. He is Best movie of all time. This movie could be much better without Raoul. Christine should choose The Phantom, because he is so nice & handsome, despite mask, that covered his face. He just couldnt be a violent kiler, who haunts Opera House. All I Ask of You is good song, although, it is love between Raoul & Christine. I think, she really is attracted to Phantom more than to Raoul. He is supporting character. I think, that in love songs with Phantom, she really liked him, she love him anyway-dark, forbidden love! I just love it:) Expand
  48. AnnaC.
    Dec 25, 2005
    I have to say that this movie is perfect. I have seen the play and was blown away, but when I seen the movie it was even better. Gerard Butler was brilliant, and what a voice. He was just right for the phantom, and for those who said he couldn't sing, well don't you think the director would of picked some one else? But I guess every idiot is entitled to some opion. And he had to I have to say that this movie is perfect. I have seen the play and was blown away, but when I seen the movie it was even better. Gerard Butler was brilliant, and what a voice. He was just right for the phantom, and for those who said he couldn't sing, well don't you think the director would of picked some one else? But I guess every idiot is entitled to some opion. And he had to of been some what good looking also, or Christine wouldn't of fallen in love with him. This is the best movie I've have ever see. I have been waiting for this movie for years and I knew if it was done right it would be like no other musical ever made. Roaringpop. Expand
  49. John---
    Oct 29, 2005
    Ponderous and pompous; detracts from the original play with ridiculous additons (sword fight, death trap, interminable journeys, and motion-sickness-inducing camera swoops).
  50. phantomima
    Oct 26, 2005
    Is the best film I've seen lately, it cares for every detail and the music is outstanding. I love it!
  51. Hannah
    Oct 25, 2005
    I think that the phantom of the opera is the best movie ever. Cristine is my favourate character in the movie my sisters is Meg i'm 10 and my sister is 13.
  52. Christine
    Sep 17, 2005
  53. Anya
    Sep 13, 2005
    Great. Love it.
  54. DawnO.
    Aug 29, 2005
    Great book, stunning musical, fantastic score, fabulous editing, superb casting in parts. Gerard Butler's brooding, menacing, raw Phantom won me over completely and Emmy Rossum was perfect as the naive, innocent and compassionate Christine. I found Patrick Wilson's Raoul slightly wooden, but his voice was a perfect foil for the Phantom's unrefined, sex-laden timbre. Great book, stunning musical, fantastic score, fabulous editing, superb casting in parts. Gerard Butler's brooding, menacing, raw Phantom won me over completely and Emmy Rossum was perfect as the naive, innocent and compassionate Christine. I found Patrick Wilson's Raoul slightly wooden, but his voice was a perfect foil for the Phantom's unrefined, sex-laden timbre. However, there isn't a hot-blooded woman amongst us who wouldn't willingly have swapped places with Christine and chosen an entirely different ending :-) Expand
  55. SusanD
    Aug 27, 2005
    I made the mistake of listening to all the constipated critics who didn't like this movie, and as a result I didn't see it until it came out on DVD. After viewing this spectacular production, I have to say that the nay-sayers should increase their intake of prunes and get rid of some of their poison. It is obvious that many of the reviews were written by self-professed haters of I made the mistake of listening to all the constipated critics who didn't like this movie, and as a result I didn't see it until it came out on DVD. After viewing this spectacular production, I have to say that the nay-sayers should increase their intake of prunes and get rid of some of their poison. It is obvious that many of the reviews were written by self-professed haters of either musicals in general or AWL's musicals specifically. It would not be fair for me to attempt to critique a rap show because I hate that type of music. Common sense, people. If you don't like it, stay away. In my opinion, everyone in the show was perfectly cast, down to the most minor character, and all three of the leads were perfect. Emmy Rossum lent just the right air of sexual and romantic awakening to the part of Christine, torn between darkness and light. Her voice was perfect for the part of the 16 year old ingenue, which she is in reality. Patrick Wilson was great as Raoul, earnest, but bland, with a lovely lyrical voice. But the real scene stealer was Gerard Butler as the Phantom. His voice was exactly what Andrew's and Joel's vision was for this movie--raw, passionate and deeper than most stage Phantoms. And his acting was superb. He gave the viewer insight into what drove the Phantom to such dark acts--a terrible loneliness and passion for a woman whom he knows he will never really have for his own. All the supporting actors are great and the costumes, sets and music are awe-inspiring. Joel and Andrew have made a masterpiece that will be a classic, despite the vapid rantings of a few mis-guided critics. Expand
  56. BethL
    Aug 24, 2005
    What are you people thinking when you say it wasn't a good movie?!?!? You must be insane!! Gerard Butler is, in my opinon, the best singer in the movie considering he had no previous experince in singing (that I know of anyway) and his voice was so captivating that it made me want to become an actress and sing so well that it captivates the audience like he did. As for Emmy Rossum, What are you people thinking when you say it wasn't a good movie?!?!? You must be insane!! Gerard Butler is, in my opinon, the best singer in the movie considering he had no previous experince in singing (that I know of anyway) and his voice was so captivating that it made me want to become an actress and sing so well that it captivates the audience like he did. As for Emmy Rossum, she makes a wonderful Christine. She was perfect for the part the same as Mr.Butler was perfect for the Part of the Phantom. Patrick Willson I wasn't too fond of but he did a great job none the less. You people who are judging the movie to the Broadway version, shouldn't. There is NO comparison between a stage play and a Movie. They are two TOTALLY different types of acting and in no way should be compared to one another. Unless YOU can sing opera music in 7 different languages and used to be/are a professional opera singer then you shouldn't say that this movie is the worst ever. I'm sure that Gerard Butler can sing better than most. Over-all, This movie is in no way a waste of time and you should by all means see it.If you don't like Musicals, THEN DON"T WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY!!! (DUH!!!) Expand
  57. nataliee.
    Aug 15, 2005
    A bit dodgy in parts but overall spectacular.
  58. megan
    Aug 12, 2005
    I loved the movie i watched it 7 times i loved it. i like all the people who did it. my favorite characters are christine and the phantom. i think they did well together. Gerad butler did a great job as the phantom. emmy rossum was the best person to play christine. i just loved it. exept i didnt like the ending i personally think that christine should of went with the phantom.
  59. regularjoe
    Aug 4, 2005
    I really enjoyed the movie!!! I think most of the things some criticised on this site are things that appeal to me as an average joe. Some criticised the singing, in my oppinion it takes more ability to have a bit of break in the right spots in one's vocal( makes emotion more believable than the textbook voice used by many), and if the Phantom really looked like Herman Monster how I really enjoyed the movie!!! I think most of the things some criticised on this site are things that appeal to me as an average joe. Some criticised the singing, in my oppinion it takes more ability to have a bit of break in the right spots in one's vocal( makes emotion more believable than the textbook voice used by many), and if the Phantom really looked like Herman Monster how could we the audience believe she might fall in love with him given his other creepy attributes? What do I know? Expand
  60. AlisonM.
    Jul 31, 2005
    I am in abject disapproval of all those people who call the singing terrible and that there is a lack of passion. A few reviews (and comments on this site) have called the casting of Gerald Butler terrible. I must say that I disagree. It is true, he does have some trouble with some of the notes which are a bit out of his range - but other than that his performance was sublime. I wuold I am in abject disapproval of all those people who call the singing terrible and that there is a lack of passion. A few reviews (and comments on this site) have called the casting of Gerald Butler terrible. I must say that I disagree. It is true, he does have some trouble with some of the notes which are a bit out of his range - but other than that his performance was sublime. I wuold like to remind some critics that Butler is in fact Scottish - so those who say he 'talked' his way through are missing something. In comparison with the original Crawford - I believe he played it better, I'll admit, Crawford's voice was essentially better, but he was middle aged - and I think that it is a very young movie - there is an innocence, and not the wisdom of middleage. So Butler was a better cast for the movie. Raoul and Christine (Patrick Wilson and Emmy Rossum) did stuggle on the occasional note, but I can think of a grand total of 3 notes between the two of them that weren't sung beautifully. People have complained that Rossum's voice was incompatible with her role, and that it didn't sound like a rising soprano. Rossum's voice, I believe, outshines Sarah Brightman, not necessarily for range, but for the tonal colour. Rossum has a very pure voice, unlike Brightman who has the wavering vibrato. I think the pure is more correct for the character of Christine - she is portrayed as a very innocent character. Raoul - I have nothing to say, he was there for the looks, and he certainly had that, and he was very good at being a swashbuckling romantic. Minnie Driver - played Carlotta very well, gave a very good portrayal of the up-herself diva. Her singing of Learn to Be Lonely at the end was quite beautiful, and the opera singer who did her singing in the movie was very effective as a terrible singer. I don't see why there has been so much complaint about the lipsynching. Of course, there were moments when it was less than perfect, but you can't get absolutely everything right. I have a relation who saw the broadway before the movie, and she prefers the broadway over the movie, but I saw the broadway after the movie - so I will have to suggest that our first view is always the one we compare to - which means anything different is regarded abhorrently. On that note, people who regard the broadway over the movie will have to remember that what works in a musical probably work in a movie - for example, the Phantom throwing the fireballs. That is very impressive on stage, as you know it is real, but in a movie people will just shrug it off as special effects. Thus the Phantom had to be a more realistic character, not magical. Still mysterious, just not magical. AS for the music, I must say I am a huge Lloyd Weber fan - for most of his music - so to me the music could not have been any better - but each to his/her own. Some people may not enjoy the combination of opera with more modern sounds. People who say the movie is based around one chart topper are wrong, I just have to plainly disagree. My favourite out of all the songs was the Point of No Return - not the "#1 hit" Phantom of the Opera. I also have friends who have different favourites. Again, each to their own. Masquerade - the costumes matched the atmosphere and the Opera House, but not the words to the songs, so that's a bit ~ but all the same, very impressive spectacle. And people who say the movie lacks passion - the movie is about passion, for God's sake! Many people are drawn into that intensity of emotion - some longing for it, or revelling that they have it, whatever. As Melissa M said, I quote, "it is every womans desire to be loved the way the phantom loves christine" and this is just a part of it. It is an intensely romantic movie - to the very finish. I must say, my one major criticism is that they changed the ending - I prefered the ending in the play. The ending was just good enough to get through. And though people have complained about the acting, I think that it was quite good - other than that the dancing was very good. I will have to point out that this movie is suitable for a particular type of person - albeit a wide type - but if you are not in that group then you will find the movie absolutely terrible. Like reading a romance book when you are a hardcore action fan. I respect other people's right to their own opinions, but I will have to disagree with some of them Phantom of the Opera - fantastic movie - wish there were more fantastic songs that I could learn the lyrics to. Expand
  61. rachels
    Jul 29, 2005
    Though we all have our own oppinions towards the movie, i thought it was wonderful. Those who gave it zeros shocked me. Seeing the movie put me at awe and completely changed my perspective and taste. When i was first asked if i would like to see it in theaters I objected. However later when i watched it in my own home i was drawn in. Gerard Butler did a marvelous job as the phantom. Though we all have our own oppinions towards the movie, i thought it was wonderful. Those who gave it zeros shocked me. Seeing the movie put me at awe and completely changed my perspective and taste. When i was first asked if i would like to see it in theaters I objected. However later when i watched it in my own home i was drawn in. Gerard Butler did a marvelous job as the phantom. Though many of the people that gave this movie a 0 said Gerards voice was horrible, i find it to be beautiful, magnetising, and hynotising, the way it should be. It makes you fall in love with the phantom and show true pity and compassion for the tortured soul inside. As for Emmy Rossum playing Christine, I thought she did excellent as well. I was slightly dissapointed in Rauol. His voice quality lacked what Gerads and Emmy's had, but he still fit the role. Overall I thought the movie was superb and kept me watching, as it changed my taste in movie forever. Well done Andrew Lloyd Webber. Expand
  62. mjy
    Jul 20, 2005
    I do agree with some that I would never have chosen Raoul over the phantom (Gerald Butler) because he is way too sexy playing his part, but i do believe thats how it was meant to be. Roaul is supposed to be a little less desireable because the phantoms love with christine is a forbidden love not in ones reach, if you have too sexy men then the story will not play out the way it has, she I do agree with some that I would never have chosen Raoul over the phantom (Gerald Butler) because he is way too sexy playing his part, but i do believe thats how it was meant to be. Roaul is supposed to be a little less desireable because the phantoms love with christine is a forbidden love not in ones reach, if you have too sexy men then the story will not play out the way it has, she had to choose Raoul in order to save herself and her current life, because as the music says he is her matermind that she could not have as she would have lost herself to him and she was quite an inderpendent woman. Raoul is easy to dominate and that was the part to be played. All I can say is surperb. Expand
  63. melissam
    Jul 20, 2005
    Those of immature status will rate this movie of little value, but those of us who have lived life, felt the passion. Breathtaking, atonishing, these words can not express enough how the movie captivates its ordience into placing ones self, mind, spirit, ones soul into longing you are there, believing every moment to be true, it is every womans desire to be loved the way the phantom loves Those of immature status will rate this movie of little value, but those of us who have lived life, felt the passion. Breathtaking, atonishing, these words can not express enough how the movie captivates its ordience into placing ones self, mind, spirit, ones soul into longing you are there, believing every moment to be true, it is every womans desire to be loved the way the phantom loves christine, Gerald Butler and Emmy Rossum have shown the world what true acting is to be, for you can feel the intense love between characters, a mature, forbidden love to be desired, simply perfect, this movie must be written down in history as one of the worlds greatest movies ever breathed. My hat goes off to every person who participated in bringing this beautiful love story to life, even though in the end her life is given to another whose love with him is of innocence but you can feel her heart warm as it lays forbidden in another mans hands. Well done Joel Schumacher and Andrew Lloyd Webber, for all eyes can see how brilliant and gifted both you gentlemen are. Expand
  64. kristin
    Jul 9, 2005
    I think that this was the best film ever made! every one who says that its bad must have their eyes tested. i know that every one is intitled to there own oppinion but some of the things said were just harsh! i think all the characters did AMAZINGLY well. Any one who loves preforming themselves would know what an tear jearking, heard racing breath of fresh air this movie was. It inspires I think that this was the best film ever made! every one who says that its bad must have their eyes tested. i know that every one is intitled to there own oppinion but some of the things said were just harsh! i think all the characters did AMAZINGLY well. Any one who loves preforming themselves would know what an tear jearking, heard racing breath of fresh air this movie was. It inspires people to believe. to believe in themselves, to follow your dreams, to believe that nothings what it seems and to believe in love. overall an amazing film and i would recomend it to anyone who dreams and lives the stage and the preforming arts. Expand
  65. LauraC.
    Jul 8, 2005
    I was skeptical about the music at first, but when I actually saw the movie, I lost all thought about anything else. I have listened to the Original London Cast's version since I was 3 (10 years now) and I can tell that this Phantom is worth a Phans upmost attention and appraisal,but the voices lacked the strength I was expecting. I have to say that Emmy was a little bit to innocent I was skeptical about the music at first, but when I actually saw the movie, I lost all thought about anything else. I have listened to the Original London Cast's version since I was 3 (10 years now) and I can tell that this Phantom is worth a Phans upmost attention and appraisal,but the voices lacked the strength I was expecting. I have to say that Emmy was a little bit to innocent and childish for the part but she didnt have the ditzy ordeal that Brightman did. All in all I'd say it has a few flaws but its to be expected. Expand
  66. EmmieW.
    Jun 27, 2005
    Seriously, I can't put into words how much I love this movie. To me I think that it is unfair that people compare it to the stage version. Some of us have not seen it on stage like most already have so we don't have anything to compare it to. To me the movie was perfect. There is a big fat orchestra in the film that you obviously can't experience when seeing it on stage so Seriously, I can't put into words how much I love this movie. To me I think that it is unfair that people compare it to the stage version. Some of us have not seen it on stage like most already have so we don't have anything to compare it to. To me the movie was perfect. There is a big fat orchestra in the film that you obviously can't experience when seeing it on stage so that is an advantage as the music will be more powerful - and it was by all means. I am 16 years old and this is one of my favourite movies onf all time, along with films such as crouching tiger hidden dragon and the terminator films. For people who state that they did not like the film, they sure do go on about it, why waste your time rating the film when you did not like it?!!!! Beats me!!! Anywho what i want to kow is what is everyone's favourite song(s) in the movie? mine would have to be masquerade, think of me, angel of music and music of the night!!! Expand
  67. KyleeG.
    Jun 25, 2005
    I think for all of you who think this movie is bad, should just stop being dumb, because we all know that there was so much hard work and dedication put into this movie and it couln't have been any better. Everyone did great as their part and whoever doesnt agree is imature and needs to grow up! seriously! ;)
  68. AshleyW
    Jun 23, 2005
    Ok for all you people that said Emmy Rossum and Gerard Butler can't sing... You are crazy!! I may be 16, but i know good when I see and hear it. I would like to hear the rest of you that gave it 0's to try and sing like Emmy or Gerard. I loved this movie so much. It is my favorite movie. The actors can All sing very well and emmy is very beautiful. You are all just probably Ok for all you people that said Emmy Rossum and Gerard Butler can't sing... You are crazy!! I may be 16, but i know good when I see and hear it. I would like to hear the rest of you that gave it 0's to try and sing like Emmy or Gerard. I loved this movie so much. It is my favorite movie. The actors can All sing very well and emmy is very beautiful. You are all just probably jealous. Also how can you tell if the actors are lypsinching??? you have to really examen the movie and pick at every little detail and pick at everything wrong with it. Just get over it and don't watch it again. Also many people said the acting was nonexistent, Well, duh!! its a freakin musical!! There is going to be more music than acting, so stop trying to bring down this great movie. If it wasn't good then the actors and the movie wouldn't have gotten any awards. So all you people that thought the movie sucked, you need to just be quiet. This movie was great! Expand
  69. TiffanyE.
    Jun 23, 2005
    I just finished the movie, and I agreed with Anna M. Patrick Wilson as Raoul was a joke and dissapointing. I would have never chosen him over Butler. He was amazing. I have seen the play three times, and he was very good. Rossum was a little green for this movie. I thought she did look like a dear in the headlights. I expected more out of her, or out of this role. And maybe she I just finished the movie, and I agreed with Anna M. Patrick Wilson as Raoul was a joke and dissapointing. I would have never chosen him over Butler. He was amazing. I have seen the play three times, and he was very good. Rossum was a little green for this movie. I thought she did look like a dear in the headlights. I expected more out of her, or out of this role. And maybe she didn't have what it took to pull it off. But all in all, it was a wonderful movie, and I will give it a well deserved 8. Expand
  70. JoeV
    Jun 21, 2005
    I'm really not understanding the intense bashing that has come from some people for this movie. I loved it immensly. Gerard Butler is not a trained musical singer. With that said, I think that he did a commendable job. Emmy Rossum was incredible, I was really surprised by her singing voice, and Patrick Wilson was near perfect as usual. Obviously they are going to be lipsynching, I'm really not understanding the intense bashing that has come from some people for this movie. I loved it immensly. Gerard Butler is not a trained musical singer. With that said, I think that he did a commendable job. Emmy Rossum was incredible, I was really surprised by her singing voice, and Patrick Wilson was near perfect as usual. Obviously they are going to be lipsynching, that's how movie/musicals work. I read that people complained about that before I saw the movie, and I never recall any seriously noticable moments of bad overdubbing. I thought it was all done pretty professionally. The sets and costumes and makeup and sound was excellent. Also, guys, no acting? Singing is an act. Just becuase an actor opens their mouth to sing a song doesn't mean acting goes away. A lot goes with singing that is a litle more subtle sometimes, but it was definately there. I will definately be bythis this movie. Expand
  71. IsabellaG.
    Jun 20, 2005
    I love the phantom of the opera! It's my favorite movie, I watch it all day and night. I memorized the whole entire movie. I even sound like Emmy Rossum. I'm Emmy Rossum's number one fan and I think the phantom dude is good looking.
  72. DanetteH.
    Jun 20, 2005
    For all those people voting 0's: I WANNA HEAR YOU DO BETTER!!!! seriously! you people act like you have soooooo much talent. sure some of you might be able to sing but i find that talent really REALLY RARE!! people are saying that the broadway performances were better and such but YA' KNOW WHAT?!!?! NOT EVERYBODIES SEEN THE LIVE STAGE PERFORMANCE!! you people judge so unfairly! For all those people voting 0's: I WANNA HEAR YOU DO BETTER!!!! seriously! you people act like you have soooooo much talent. sure some of you might be able to sing but i find that talent really REALLY RARE!! people are saying that the broadway performances were better and such but YA' KNOW WHAT?!!?! NOT EVERYBODIES SEEN THE LIVE STAGE PERFORMANCE!! you people judge so unfairly! this is my favorite movie of all time!! i can't stop watching it!! Gerard Butler was PHANTASTIC!! can you believe people are saying that they were lipsinking?? ugh.. his voice is soooooo sexy!! his costumes were awesome! i think that he still was extremely sexy with the distorted face! YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY!!! lol! i heard one of the broadways and the phantom sounded like he was 19! eeeeeew! you can't even compare the plays to the movie! Gerard Butler....i wish i could meet you!! that would be the best thing ever!!! it is now my one goal to make the music of the night with the one true Angel of music!!!!! I LOOOOOVE YOU!! Emmy Rossom was AMAZING! i wish i could sing like that! people said that your voice was crackling but seriously: YOUR AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! i can't think of anyone who could do better to play a shy up-comming star! GOOD JOB! Patrick Wilson was GREAT!! (personally i think the phantom was hotter-sorry) but whoever did the casting did a really goooooooood job!! your hair wasn't geeky at all! people said it was but did they keep in mind that this movie was cast in 1870?NOOOOOOO!! Minnie Driver: I didn't even know that was you!! you did such a good job with the accent! Carlotta was HILARIOUS!! great job! i wish i could meet all you guys....fat chance......now i'm all upset cuz i know i prolly won't get to meet any of you.....*tear* there hasn't been a day since the movie came out in stores that i haven't watched it!! LITTERALLY!!! last night i slept for FIFTEEN HOURS dreaming about it!! my mom was worried:THE EFFECT OF THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA!!! Expand
  73. HaileyB
    Jun 19, 2005
    I dont know how anybody coulf give it under a 10 it is my favorite movie and I am only 11 it is great it is underscibablely great i think it is the best one the music and everything I just dont know how to describe it anymore I bought the book,the movie, and the soundtrack.Its the coolest I could describe it anymore it would take ove 5 pages. iT'S THE BEST!!!
  74. KateW.
    Jun 15, 2005
    I LOVED it!
  75. LarryJ
    Jun 13, 2005
    Since I've not seen the stage version, particularly with Michael Crawford or Sarah Brightman so I base my opinion only on the movie I saw. It was fantastic and I thoroughly enjoyed very moment. After seeing the movie I read some of the harsh criticism about the movie, the director, ALW's music and the even harsh criticism of Gerald Butler. So I went out and bought both the Since I've not seen the stage version, particularly with Michael Crawford or Sarah Brightman so I base my opinion only on the movie I saw. It was fantastic and I thoroughly enjoyed very moment. After seeing the movie I read some of the harsh criticism about the movie, the director, ALW's music and the even harsh criticism of Gerald Butler. So I went out and bought both the MIchael Crawford and Sarah Brightman CD of the highlights of the play as well as the movie soundtrack highlights CD. Yes, it appears MC and SB are more 'professional' in their singing though sometimes SB can be a bit shrill. Yet, Rossum and Butler's less polished renditions are, I believe, their best feature. Rossum is more believable as the up and coming ingenue, she has been trained by the phantom but unexposed to an audience. You immediately feel she has not yet reached perfection but with practice soon will. Gerald Butler is no Michael Crawford but there is genuine passion in his voice, more so than comes through MC's perhaps 'better' vocalization. This is a movie, with actor/singers, not singer/actors and as a movie, it works very well. No doubt I would enjoy watching MC and SB perform their famous roles, but just listening to the soundtracks, I prefer GB and ER, not in spite of their imperfections, but because of them! This is a DVD I will watch again and again. Expand
  76. brittanys.
    Jun 13, 2005
    This movie was the best!!!! drama musical and romance all combined makes this a fantastic movie!!! i love this movie.
  77. ArakonA.
    Jun 12, 2005
    'The Phantom of the Opera', based on the book written by Gaston Leroux, 'The Phantom of the Opera' combines the elements of acting, singing and music into one stunning film. I myself am participating in a 'Phantom of the Opera' musical at the moment (as the Phantom), and I now truly understand what an undertaking the production of this film was. After these 'The Phantom of the Opera', based on the book written by Gaston Leroux, 'The Phantom of the Opera' combines the elements of acting, singing and music into one stunning film. I myself am participating in a 'Phantom of the Opera' musical at the moment (as the Phantom), and I now truly understand what an undertaking the production of this film was. After these comments, I would like to make a few... how do you say... 'enlightenments' to the accusations of this film. First of all, I will clarify the lypsynching. As you know, if you have seen the movie, the majority of the movie is performed in singing speech. (I would hope so, considering that it is a musical, of course...) The reason for pre-recordings and lipsynching is all the onstage movement. If you don't understand my point, try holding a steady note while walking. Now try it going up a flight of stairs as fast as you can. Then you'll understand my point. Secondly, the point of Gerard Butler's singing. As you probably know, many comments have been brought up about Mr. Butler's singing. Taking the fact into consideration that he has had no professional training, I would say he did a swell job on that film. I'd like to see you accusers do any better than him. A couple more comments of my own... Emmy Rossum's singing was stunning, as was Minnie Driver's. Although I was a little disappointed at the absence of some important plot elements in the 'Phantom of the Opera' film, I am confident that the cast makes up for this. Expand
  78. kim
    Jun 10, 2005
    One of the best movie i've ever seen. Gerard Butler is wonderful. He is truly the phantom. much has been said about how good lookin he is and therefore is the wrong choice for the role., but i actually found the contrast, one side so beautiful and the other side so horribly deformed startling and more tragic. He is so good in this movie that he made me cry something that no male One of the best movie i've ever seen. Gerard Butler is wonderful. He is truly the phantom. much has been said about how good lookin he is and therefore is the wrong choice for the role., but i actually found the contrast, one side so beautiful and the other side so horribly deformed startling and more tragic. He is so good in this movie that he made me cry something that no male actor has done in any movie before. He anguished in knowing that he will be alone, an outcast for the rest of his life is the main emotion that he had manage to convey. He really abandoned himself to his role and made himself emotionally vulnerable in this movie. He must be exhausted at the end of filming. Expand
  79. DeeGee
    Jun 10, 2005
    I don't understand why the critics and even some Phans bashed this film so badly! I've seen Phantom live three times, all with Brad Little as the Phantom, and I will admit that seeing it live is infinitely better than watching the movie. HOWEVER, we cannot forget that there are people in certain areas of the country who do not have access to live theater. Shouldn't they be I don't understand why the critics and even some Phans bashed this film so badly! I've seen Phantom live three times, all with Brad Little as the Phantom, and I will admit that seeing it live is infinitely better than watching the movie. HOWEVER, we cannot forget that there are people in certain areas of the country who do not have access to live theater. Shouldn't they be allowed to enjoy a wonderful story and beautiful music as well? And I think that if I had never seen the stage version I would like the film even more. I do wish that they had elected to use some of the past or current stage actors/actresses in this film as I agree that Butler's voice does not measure up to Crawford or Little. But he did a beautiful job acting the part and he is gorgeous! Emmy as well does not have the voice of the stage performers but she did a good job also. In all I would have been just as pleased if they had simply taped a stage performance of the play for release on DVD like they did with Cats. As to the movie's content, I feel that it was true to the play in almost all respects. The chandelier scene is not as dramatic as in the stage version but it was refit at an adequate point. I did enjoy seeing Weber's explanation of where the Phantom came from and his relationship with Mme. Giry as that was always a confusing point for me when I saw the play. I also thought the cemetery scene was very well done and tied in the lyrics of Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again to the scenery beautifully! I do respect the opinions of others and if they honestly did not like it as a movie then they should be allowed to voice that opinion but I think too many of the critics are not rating the movie itself but are rather trying to rate it in comparison to the live stage version. I loved it and I plan to buy the DVD and watch it over and over until I wear it out and will then buy another copy! Expand
  80. JillB.
    Jun 10, 2005
    This is a great movie, but since I saw the Broadway touring company first, I can't give the movie full points; the movie has the chandalier falling at the wrong time, and there was that horrible spoken part in the middle of "Masquerade" that's supposed to be sung and sounded incredibly dumb spoken. I mean, come on. And there was the thing with the Phantom's face not even This is a great movie, but since I saw the Broadway touring company first, I can't give the movie full points; the movie has the chandalier falling at the wrong time, and there was that horrible spoken part in the middle of "Masquerade" that's supposed to be sung and sounded incredibly dumb spoken. I mean, come on. And there was the thing with the Phantom's face not even looking that bad...that's like the point of the movie. Despite these little blemishes, I think the movie still deserves a 9, if for no other reason than Andrew Lloyd Webber's music is amazing and Minnie Driver is hysterically wonderful in it! Expand
  81. TomD
    Jun 8, 2005
    I have been a fan of ALW's musicals for years, and I got to see Phantom in theater with Michael Crawford in the lead role. Crawford set a standard that makes any flaws in other Phantoms more pronounced, and to me, Gerard Butler was cast a little too young, and his voice lacks the kind of range and personality needed for the role. That's not to say he was awful...just that I I have been a fan of ALW's musicals for years, and I got to see Phantom in theater with Michael Crawford in the lead role. Crawford set a standard that makes any flaws in other Phantoms more pronounced, and to me, Gerard Butler was cast a little too young, and his voice lacks the kind of range and personality needed for the role. That's not to say he was awful...just that I thought the role could have been cast better. If you never saw Crawford, it might not bother you. The rest of the movie was very good. I love Christine and Raoul's character actually came off as heroic rather than stuffy and bland, like some other Raouls I've seen. The music is great--you either love it or you don't get it, and therefore hate it. Beautifully filmed and I was pleasantly surprised at how much of that theater-feel translated to the big screen. Definitely worth seeing. Great date movie. Expand
  82. ToniB.
    Jun 7, 2005
    Oh my gosh! The Phantom of the Opera movie has to be one of the most spectacular things ever! Having grown up with musicals in particular The Phantom, i was a tad sceptical about this movie and wondered if the cast could do the songs justice. Let me tell you, this movie blew me away, not only is Gerard Butler beautiful, his voice brought something to the film that not even Michael Boulton Oh my gosh! The Phantom of the Opera movie has to be one of the most spectacular things ever! Having grown up with musicals in particular The Phantom, i was a tad sceptical about this movie and wondered if the cast could do the songs justice. Let me tell you, this movie blew me away, not only is Gerard Butler beautiful, his voice brought something to the film that not even Michael Boulton would have been able to, Gerards voice was sensual and made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, you could feel the Phantoms passion for music, pain and loneliness. My favourite song has always been The Point Of No Return so was intregued as to how the cast would do the song, it was great! Emmy Rossum has a fantastic voice for such a young girl,as a soprano singer myself i appreiciate how hard some of the really high notes are to reach, Emmy does this without any effort if she wasnt so good i would hate her! I doubt there will ever be another film adaptation which will be up to the same standards as this! Absolutly Brilliant! Expand
  83. RobbieV.
    Jun 5, 2005
    I thought it was pretty good. When I saw it on Broadway a couple of years ago it must have been a lousy cast because I didn't really care for it. I have to say though, that Gerard Butler is not the right kind of person to be the Phantom. His voice doesn't bother me as much as his face. He is a phantom. He is supposed to be disfigured, not an attractive man. You are supposed to I thought it was pretty good. When I saw it on Broadway a couple of years ago it must have been a lousy cast because I didn't really care for it. I have to say though, that Gerard Butler is not the right kind of person to be the Phantom. His voice doesn't bother me as much as his face. He is a phantom. He is supposed to be disfigured, not an attractive man. You are supposed to feel bad for him for his facial deformity. People are saying that they were mad that Christine chose Raoul, but I don't think she was in love with the Phantom...it just looked like he seduced her with his voice/good looks. Which is ridiculous, b/c he's not supposed to be goodlooking. Also someone had a comment about ALW's lyrics. He didn't, and has never, written lyrics for any of his musicals that I know of (the major ones). He has written some of the most beautiful music in history, but never lyrics. Another person claimed that Gerard Butler was their favorite American actor, but he is Scottish i think. I give it an 8, largely on the strength of Emmy Rossum, who I feel acted and sung the part of Christine very well. Also seeing Miranda Richardson as Mme. Giry reminded me of her role in Black Adder...LOL. Expand
  84. CeciliaG.
    Jun 5, 2005
    Beside I'm already a ALW fan, the artists of this movie, the choreography, the image, everything is absolutly fantastic. My congratulations to all the team.
  85. mariahm.
    Jun 2, 2005
    Omg i love this movie i cryed i thought it was the best movie that i hadd ever saw in my hole life.
  86. LoisM
    May 31, 2005
    My all time favorite musical. I loved Gerard Bulter, he was excellent as the Phantom. He has an amazing voice. I've watched it five times this weekend.
  87. KenzieH.
    May 30, 2005
    If there would be a rating of 10,000,000,000 i would absolutly pozitively vote that on all of the actors and actresses in that movie! espessialy Gerard Butler! he is honestly the most hottest guy on earth!for all thos STUPID PEOPLE who rated this 0-6 - why did you even write something here if u dont like the movie! you people are soo dumb! GET A LIFE!!! maybe you should just watch it If there would be a rating of 10,000,000,000 i would absolutly pozitively vote that on all of the actors and actresses in that movie! espessialy Gerard Butler! he is honestly the most hottest guy on earth!for all thos STUPID PEOPLE who rated this 0-6 - why did you even write something here if u dont like the movie! you people are soo dumb! GET A LIFE!!! maybe you should just watch it another time so than you van actually understand it! and no the people are not lip synching at all! Gerard Butler has most perfect voice ever! and so does emmy rossum!!! WATCH IT ANOTHER TIME!insted of being too stupid to understand it! maybe you will understand if you would GET A BRAIN!!! Expand
  88. JeniL
    May 26, 2005
    I thought this movie was sensational! Gerald Butler and Emmy Rossum were both gorgeous! Emmy's voice is so elegant and gerald's is so aluring! I dont know whats up with all the zeros people are giving it! it's mi all time favourtie movie! i'll watch it when ever i can! Good job to all the cast and crew!
  89. GraciaG.
    May 24, 2005
    I love Gerard Butler!!! I love his voice.
  90. LeahN.
    May 24, 2005
    I have watched the movie 10 times in the past 4 days! I LUVED IT!
  91. DawnR.
    May 22, 2005
    Wonderful, breath taking, almost like live.
  92. brittneyg.
    May 21, 2005
    This was absolutley the best movie i have ever seen. Gerard Butler is one of my most faorite actors in all of america. Emma did awesome too! Great job Mr.Webber you've out done yourself on this film!!!!
  93. IsabellK.
    May 21, 2005
    I am a die-hard Phantom fan and I was very skeptical about the movie, especially after hearing about the decision to cast relatively "unknown" actors who have never played these parts before, but I was very pleasantly surprised and delighted! Grant it, it's no Michael and Sarah, but I think Gerard and Emmy due a great job. I definitely loved Patrick's take on Raoul, it made me I am a die-hard Phantom fan and I was very skeptical about the movie, especially after hearing about the decision to cast relatively "unknown" actors who have never played these parts before, but I was very pleasantly surprised and delighted! Grant it, it's no Michael and Sarah, but I think Gerard and Emmy due a great job. I definitely loved Patrick's take on Raoul, it made me like the character MUCH better than I have in the past. Of course I still and always will prefer the Phantom over Raoul and I always get an urge to slap Christine in the face whenever she favors Raoul, especially in the last scene after singing an incredibly sexually-charged duet with the Phantom and he pretty much throws himself at her feet--she's such a tease! But anyway, Gerard certainly makes an extremely sexy and handsome Phantom, despite the deformity, and it makes me want to slap Christine and kick Raoul out of the picture all the more. This is a movie that if you like it, you love it and you're definitely thinking about it for a few days after viewing. Love it! Expand
  94. AshC.
    May 20, 2005
    Absolutely brilliant! I've never seen the Broadway production before, but I'm going to see it over the summer. This movie was the best I've ever seen! Emmy Rossum definitely deserved that award for Breakthrough Actress and I fell in love with Gerard Butler's charismatic voice. Awesome job!
  95. JenevieveO.
    May 20, 2005
    OH MY GOD!!! i thought that this movie would like really stink and i couldn't believe that my chorus teacher was making me watch it. then when i saw the end i had to hide my tears from the rest of the class. i LOVED this movie. it definitely is my favorite movie over everything. i am going out to buy this movie as soon as i get home! i really fell in love with the phantom despite his OH MY GOD!!! i thought that this movie would like really stink and i couldn't believe that my chorus teacher was making me watch it. then when i saw the end i had to hide my tears from the rest of the class. i LOVED this movie. it definitely is my favorite movie over everything. i am going out to buy this movie as soon as i get home! i really fell in love with the phantom despite his face. Gerard Butler was sooooo the best and he sings even better than ewan mcgregor, which i thought was hard to beat, but he was amazing and so enchanting. i seriously think i love him more than i can describe!!!!! Expand
  96. DonaldI.
    May 20, 2005
    Well, on the plus side, it is lavishly shot, the costumes are exquisite, and the set decoration is sublime. However, it is woefully miscast, particularly in the lead role. Moreover, it is a shame that the lyrics by Andrew Lloyd Webber go from being merely average at best in one moment, to being utterly insipid the next. Being a musical (?!) as this is, that does not bode well for the Well, on the plus side, it is lavishly shot, the costumes are exquisite, and the set decoration is sublime. However, it is woefully miscast, particularly in the lead role. Moreover, it is a shame that the lyrics by Andrew Lloyd Webber go from being merely average at best in one moment, to being utterly insipid the next. Being a musical (?!) as this is, that does not bode well for the viewer. If bombastic, pretentious crap is your cup of tea, check it out. Most of the rest of us will be looking for the exits in short order. Save yourself. Expand
  97. sumayyaj.
    May 16, 2005
    The critics have really got it wrong-this is a marvellous film.
  98. cricri
    May 15, 2005
    Simply splendid! I felt this musical down to my bones deeply in my soul. I was moved, I cannot describe the monumental movie you just going to have to see it. I can't forget the songs, The Phantom of the Opera is here inside my mind.
  99. DebS.
    May 13, 2005
    Wow. Let me tell you, I am a Phantom of the Opera fan already, but this movie was wonderful!! The singing isn't the best, but it's so moving and heartfelt. It's wonderful! I ran out and bought the CD as soon I saw the movie and I bought the DVD the day it came out. This movie is, simply put, Amazing!!!
  100. KatieK
    May 11, 2005
    I thought it was awesome... The singing was fantastic, even if the the Phantom's seemed a bit on the gruff side... but let's face it, that's probably what a "Phantom" should sound like. If you've ever seen the musical in London, you'd know why they did this the way they did. I think the newspaper reviewers must have been expecting another Hollywood formula movie I thought it was awesome... The singing was fantastic, even if the the Phantom's seemed a bit on the gruff side... but let's face it, that's probably what a "Phantom" should sound like. If you've ever seen the musical in London, you'd know why they did this the way they did. I think the newspaper reviewers must have been expecting another Hollywood formula movie and Phantom of the Opera isn't meant to be that kind of experience. Be a little open-minded and enjoy! Expand

1. Reviewed by: Jo Berry
    The end result, although entertaining and well-crafted, certainly isn't on the same breathtaking scale of, say, Alan Parker's epic "Evita."
  2. What the film most damagingly lacks though is a sense of mystery and danger.
    Watching the passionless Phantom, with its geriatric story-framing device, gooey dimestore romanticism and tawdry pop ballads about unrequited yearning, feels akin to dying and waking up in your parents’ easy-listening-radio hell.