8.3

1. Sep 30, 2011
    "The Phantom of the Opera" isn't much of a entertaining movie. The acting isn't good and the story is just obedient to the musical. Its the music that you'll like, just the music.
  2. Aug 17, 2010
    It's curious so many critics panned this. Pretty watchable, if predictable, with timeless, catchy tunes. The female lead, Emmy Rossum, was very good. Think a strange hybrid of Moulin Rouge and Frankenstein.
  3. Oct 14, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i didn't pay a cent for watching this movie, thanks heaven... for those who said "oh, i luv the phantom, oh i luv the costumes blah blah blah..." let me tell you, this movie sucks in a very very disgusting way... the plot is full of holes... they totally changed it from the original story! there is no sense of consistency between scenes! the actors, oh my **** god, they suck!! i mean, epic suck.
    someone said "Wow!The Movie was great. I love the Phantom. I dont like Raoul.Christine & Phantom 4ever! " ... well, that kind of thought means you are a complete brainless idiot... avoid making a fool out of yourselves with that kind of comments. sayonara.
  4. Jun 26, 2011
    I wanted to just describe this movie in one word (terrible) but unfortunately I have to use 150 characters. Gerard Butler was terrible, the all acting was terrible, the story was terrible, everything was terrible, there was not a single good thing in this movie.
  5. Sep 15, 2011
    First and foremost, the Broadway musical production is (ha!) SO much better than this. Not to say that it was a bad adaptation: Gerard Butler sure did a fantastic job as the titular character. The main thing that really angered me about this is that a lot of the scenes were scrapped and/or changed--some of which would have even made more sense on camera than onstage, such as the graveyard scene where the Phantom throws fireballs at Raoul. Some of the altered scenes, I can say, were clearly done to make it appear as a film rather than a direct copy of a Broadway musical, such as the opening scene and the final scene (neither of which I will give away, because the majority of the film is in a flashback, so technically, giving away the beginning would be partially giving away the ending). Cinematically, though, THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA is captivating and brilliant, if, as noted above, flawed. Expand
  6. Zal
    Jan 11, 2012
    It's certainly an improvement for Joel Schumacher since Batman and Robin, but I still did not enjoy this film.
    With the exception of Erik, all of these characters are completely bland. This is not the fault of Schumacher or any of the actors. None of these characters, especially Raoul and Christine, were very interesting to begin with. And even Erik in this film isn't that deep, especially
    when you see that his "deformity" is really just a big rash. It doesn't look that bad and it makes his song about his face seem, well, somewhat pretentious, which is a word that I feel sad using to describe one of my favorite literary anti-heroes.
    The acting isn't that great either. The only one who I thought did a decent job was Patrick Wilson as Raoul. Then there is poor Miranda Richardson doing an incredibly over the top French accent that was hard not to laugh at. This is sad because I genuinly love Miranda Richardson and think she is a fantastic actress, but her acting in this movie was terrible. I don't even understand why she has that accent since everyone else is phoning it in and just doing a British accent, with the exception of Carlotta (since she is Italian) and Raoul and Christine, who for some reason speak with American accents.
    The costumes and sets are creative and well made and some of the singing isn't bad, but it just wasn't a pleasant experience for me.
  7. Jan 13, 2012
    I loved this movie! I have watched the movie many more times than I can count. I love Emmy Rossum. She looks so beautiful throughout the whole movie. I also love Jennifer Ellison. She is so cute. Gerard Butler was a little pitchy at times but overall not bad at all. I really dislike Carlotta though. She makes me want to scream.
  8. Jun 3, 2012
    Sadly This Movie Does Not Catch Your Eye At The End.. Or Really Any Place In The Movie..
    The Cast Is Very Bland And Boring As The Movie..
    Minnie Driver Does A Good Job Though..
  9. Jul 8, 2012
    Well acted, Beautiful Music and a great storyline keeps this movie going until the very end
  10. Mar 9, 2014
    The Phantom of the Opera remake is decidedly uninspired and not very enjoyable most of the time. The visual spectacle is definitely there, but the magic stops there as well.
  11. Oct 20, 2013
    It's really a SPECTACULAR movie. The music and the effects are AMAZING. Gerard and Emmy did a really good job as Erik and Christine. Once I started watching I couldn't stop singing songs from it. The music is like drugs, once started you can't stop. The musical though is a little better than the movie.
  12. Apr 4, 2014
    A good movie . but not that much violence. the movie is okay but the musical is just to annoying and not something to enjoy about this . Grade C+ ....
  13. Aug 13, 2014
    The musical may not be very clever, but this 2004 theatrical release is much better than its average stage production. Beautiful visuals and a great performance of the music with an extended orchestra and its leads' decent execution. The whole attempt pretty much compensates for the lack of the stage experience. I'm a little surprised with some people eulogizing Webber's music, though.
  14. Sep 16, 2014
    I hate musicals, but this is different. The music is just perfect, the story is just perfect, I can not understand why this film has a low Metascore.
    But not everything is good, I think the book is better than the movie and if the movie were like the book, the movie would have been better

1. Reviewed by: Jo Berry
    The end result, although entertaining and well-crafted, certainly isn't on the same breathtaking scale of, say, Alan Parker's epic "Evita."
  2. What the film most damagingly lacks though is a sense of mystery and danger.
    Watching the passionless Phantom, with its geriatric story-framing device, gooey dimestore romanticism and tawdry pop ballads about unrequited yearning, feels akin to dying and waking up in your parents’ easy-listening-radio hell.