The Pianist

7.6

1. stephenc.
    Aug 18, 2005
    This film didn't take an angle to the events of the Holocaust, unless you count the fact that the lead could play a bit of piano. It showed the horror of the time but in a tasteless manner and really brought nothing new to the subject. Adrian Brody put on a sad face for the movie and won an oscar. An awful film.
  2. DavidM.
    Jun 14, 2005
    The film is terribly contrived and appears to be sewn together from pieces of other Holocaust films, taking their drama, their imagery, their violence and their beauty, but leaving behind the reasons why we should care about these things. It's the type of film a Holocaust film enthusist would make, not a historian or a true film maker. I left this film feeling cheated that I never The film is terribly contrived and appears to be sewn together from pieces of other Holocaust films, taking their drama, their imagery, their violence and their beauty, but leaving behind the reasons why we should care about these things. It's the type of film a Holocaust film enthusist would make, not a historian or a true film maker. I left this film feeling cheated that I never developed an understanding of any of the characters or any attachment to what was happening to them. Expand
  3. Christopher
    Apr 13, 2003
    Awful so boring!
  4. BrianH.
    Jan 9, 2003
    Wait, we could do a film about the Holocaust! What a great idea!!
  5. T.P.
    Jan 6, 2003
    A huge disappointment. An incredible story, very rudimentarily told. I was extremely bored during the second half. Did not like it at all. It does not bring anything new.
  6. GabrielP.
    Jan 6, 2003
    No wonder ALL the Holocaust fims get a 10 and an Oscar. Bet this is going to be another one. Polansky is only trying to make amends with Hollywood. Argh.
  7. Shootsy
    Jan 3, 2003
    Undeniable terrible history facts do not necessarily make a great piece of film making. Boring and way overrated.

1. The result is a movie, and Cannes Palme d'Or winner, of riveting power and sadness, a great match of film and filmmaker -- and star, too.
    Polanski, himself a survivor of Nazi-occupied Poland, has created a near-masterpiece.
  3. Reviewed by: Ty Burr
    There are three Poles in The Pianist -- Szpilman, Polanski, and Frederic Chopin. Of the three, fittingly, Chopin speaks the loudest.