Miramax Films | Release Date: November 1, 1993
8.0
Generally favorable reviews based on 84 Ratings
WATCH NOW
krogarJan 30, 2012
Beautiful, moving, original, visually poignant, excellent music, fantastic acting performances. One of my favourite movies. I am puzzled by the negative reviews, perhaps it might not suit someone with very conservative tastes, expecting aBeautiful, moving, original, visually poignant, excellent music, fantastic acting performances. One of my favourite movies. I am puzzled by the negative reviews, perhaps it might not suit someone with very conservative tastes, expecting a tame story of a piano student, etc. Expand
LuciaJul 10, 2007
A lush film with excruciating attention to photography including shadows. Attention is drawn to the sounds and visuals like some amazing artist has waved a wand and you can't get your eyes off the trail of light left in the air. You A lush film with excruciating attention to photography including shadows. Attention is drawn to the sounds and visuals like some amazing artist has waved a wand and you can't get your eyes off the trail of light left in the air. You care about all the characters. I do wish a little more attention had been paid to the aboriginal tribe that co-habited the area - there was a mystique about them as well as everything and everyone else. The film is in a word, beautiful. Expand
neezyk.Jul 29, 2007
Perfect!
MattGAug 15, 2009
Haunting, beautiful, poetic, unforgettable. Holly Hunter gives one of the greatest performances of all time, and this is my personal favorite movie of all time.
RyanB.Sep 19, 2005
An amazing piece supported with an amazinbg acting team. Anna Paquin, wow! Holly Hunter, perfect! Sam Neil, intense. A well told story show some serious and emotional issuse in a time of uncertainty in early New Zealand. Michael Nymans score An amazing piece supported with an amazinbg acting team. Anna Paquin, wow! Holly Hunter, perfect! Sam Neil, intense. A well told story show some serious and emotional issuse in a time of uncertainty in early New Zealand. Michael Nymans score truly became Ada's voice. Expand
neezyk.Sep 24, 2005
Perfect!
antoñeteDec 28, 2006
Perfect movie!!!! I love this!!!!! The music, the cinematography, Holly, Anna Paquin... The script itself, the poetic images... I can't forget this movie.
SindriFeb 24, 2011
Innovating and influential masterpiece - Jane Campion's third feature film after her feature film debut "Sweetie" (1989) and "An Angel at my Table" (1990) tells the story of Ada McGrath and her daughter Flora who once upon a time in theInnovating and influential masterpiece - Jane Campion's third feature film after her feature film debut "Sweetie" (1989) and "An Angel at my Table" (1990) tells the story of Ada McGrath and her daughter Flora who once upon a time in the 1850s moves from Nelson, Australia to New Zealand where they are to start a new life with Ada's predetermined husband, a landowner called Alistair Stewart. Jane Campion's Palme d'Or winner from 1993 is a versatile character study seen from the main characters point of view and told through her wordless though definite expressions. With acute and subtle camera movements, long takes and picturesque close ups, New Zealand filmmaker Jane Campion compassionately examines the complexities in the relationship between man and woman and creates a mysterious, erotic and imaginative period drama about a woman's affectionate relation to her piano and her contradicting strive for independence while being captured in an arranged marriage.

This international co-production between New Zealand, Australia and France which was exclusively shoot in New Zealand and produced by Australian Jan Chapman is an innovating and influential masterpiece formed by the mythical milieu depictions, the weighty and various moods, the linear narrative, Jane Campion's emphatic screenplay, Stuart Dryburgh's majestic photography, Janet Patterson's noticeable costume design, Andrew McAlpine's production design and Michael Nyman's sterling score, which acutely conveys the main characters passionate inner life. Sam Neill, Harvey Keitel and Anna Paquin delivers memorable performances in this poetic and romantic fairytale lead by Holly Hunter who's internal and gesticulating interpretation of a mute character is one of the most outstanding performances in modern cinema.
sebastian1Sep 21, 2013
just excellent, i loved it, now i know it is my favorite movie: including actors, designers, musicians and producers, the director Jane Campion too. Michael Nyman is one of the must recognized composers of the world.
RegOzApr 6, 2012
Although I know it is now a classic; I was never able to see it as a great film; yet it is not because there are not the elements for it to be a masterpiece but somehow, to me, little by litthe the movie loses its initial attractiveness. ItAlthough I know it is now a classic; I was never able to see it as a great film; yet it is not because there are not the elements for it to be a masterpiece but somehow, to me, little by litthe the movie loses its initial attractiveness. It is not that I lack aeshetic sensibility; on the opposite; it is just that overall, this movie didn't transmit enough for it. Its strenght, in my opinion, does not always reside in the storyline. The performances were fantastic, the photography luscious! I am glad I watched it...not sure if I would do it again...probably I will one day for I am curious to know how I experience it this time. Expand
DirigiblePulpApr 22, 2017
A mostly beautiful piece of affecting and haunted poetry. It is suffused with feeling and emotion, and characters so deeply drawn exposition is never necessary to understand them. Holly Hunter is so bleak and withdrawn, it's a wonder you feelA mostly beautiful piece of affecting and haunted poetry. It is suffused with feeling and emotion, and characters so deeply drawn exposition is never necessary to understand them. Holly Hunter is so bleak and withdrawn, it's a wonder you feel anything at all for her and yet you feel it all; there are 43 different muscles in the face after all and none of them rely on speech. Expand
EpicLadySpongeApr 5, 2016
The Piano will forever be dramatically enjoyable no matter how many opinions can hold up a great movie. So much for a muted piano player and her daughter.
BerCMay 26, 2016
The artistic medium of film is very subjective. Every audience member has a different set of criteria they use to measure their viewing experience. Not everyone shares the same set of criteria. If we did, what a bland and uninspired worldThe artistic medium of film is very subjective. Every audience member has a different set of criteria they use to measure their viewing experience. Not everyone shares the same set of criteria. If we did, what a bland and uninspired world this would be.

What I Personally Liked About "The Piano":
The visual tone of this film was magnificent. Muted colors painting the canvas with their earthen forests and beaches, creating a sumptuous living space for the characters to stalk through. I also enjoyed the performances of Harvey Keitel, Anna Paquin and Holly Hunter. The latter particularly impressed by portraying a very nuanced role without the benefit of verbal language to see her through. The fact that Hunter also played most of the wonderful piano pieces herself amazes even more.

What I Personally Disliked About "The Piano":
While Sam Neill does his best with the role, the character of Alisdair Stewart seems a bit underdeveloped in my eyes. He never quite lives up to the characters who surround him in this film. There's also a general feeling of detachedness between the writer/director and her audience members. It's like Jane Campion doesn't want us getting too close to her own emotional state regarding the events she depicts. Not having read her accompanying novel, I am unsure if this distance was corrected in that medium or not. I also have one or two small nitpicks with the pacing of the film. Sometimes Campion rushes through segments which would have benefitted from a bit more depth while other times she painfully stretches out moments which should have been edited down.

My Overall Impression of "The Piano":
It may seem as though there are more dislikes for me than likes in "The Piano," however the good does outweigh the bad where this film is concerned. Though it is not a piece I would watch on a regular basis, I am still glad I saw the film and I could also see myself returning for a repeat viewing a few years down the road.