6.8

1. Feb 19, 2013
    The Pirates! Band of Misfits or its original title: In an Adventure with Scientists, which I think is more accurate, was just another animated movie from the bunch. Personally I do not like the esthetic with that are created these characters (same as Chicken Run and Wallace Gromit), but I decided to see it only because it was nominated for the Academy Award. This picture treats the story of a Captain that tries in every possible way to become a renowned pirate, so we face topics like self-confidence, discrimination and the value of friendship. The problem is that the film deals with them in a funny way but falls into stupidity; I mean queen Victoria fighting with katanas, Charles Darwin covered by feathers and that the greatest thing of being a pirate is ham night, maybe can make a five year old laugh, but it took away all the possible meaning that this movie could have. Just a few things were actually amusing, like the names of the pirates (albino pirate, surprisingly curvaceous pirate and pirate who likes sunsets and kittens), the presentation of scientist captain with the 2001: An Space Odyssey style and the introduction to the evolution theory that the protagonist gives to Darwin. Expand
  2. Jul 29, 2012
    Just to begin on a lighter note, the map travel animations were mildly amusing, at best. With that behind us, take away Peter Pan
  3. Dec 6, 2013
    Can't say that I enjoyed the film, which is disappointing considering I was expecting good things from this movie. I never found it funny outside of the rare chuckle worthy moment. I was also disappointed with the animation. It just looked cheap and rather low-budget. Voice acting was exceptional though. Still this is a lackluster film that really isn't worth it for you or any kids you may or may not have. Expand
  4. May 15, 2012
    Rolling up to the theater, I realized at the time that the Avengers still wasn't out yet. Oh well, I thought, brimming with cheer on a warm Saturday afternoon, I can always watch "The Pirates! Band of Misfits", after all, I really liked their previous work. How wrong I was.

This movie is utterly boring and camp. If you take your children to see this, you will be bored. None of the
    animation was interesting, and no jokes were funny. All of the jokes are childish and ridiculous slapstick and, the worst of all, telegraphed puns.

"Pirates! Band of Misfits" is not surprisingly funny like "Arthur Christmas" was, or genuinely funny or heartfelt like many of the "Wallace and Gromit" films. This film is frustratingly and soul-grindingly long.

1. Reviewed by: Michelle Orange
    Apr 27, 2012
    It's all rather casual - not unengaging, exactly, but lacking a narrative energy all its own.
  2. Reviewed by: Ian Buckwalter
    Apr 27, 2012
    Barely a moment goes by without a well-orchestrated joke (or three), and it's paced as briskly as a clipper in front of a stiff tailwind.
  3. Reviewed by: Jody Mitori
    Apr 27, 2012
    The movie is missing the zippy chases and lovable characters of Aardman studio's previous films ("Arthur Christmas," "Chicken Run").