The Pirates! Band of Misfits

6.9

1. May 15, 2012
    Rolling up to the theater, I realized at the time that the Avengers still wasn't out yet. Oh well, I thought, brimming with cheer on a warm Saturday afternoon, I can always watch "The Pirates! Band of Misfits", after all, I really liked their previous work. How wrong I was.

This movie is utterly boring and camp. If you take your children to see this, you will be bored. None of the animation was interesting, and no jokes were funny. All of the jokes are childish and ridiculous slapstick and, the worst of all, telegraphed puns.

"Pirates! Band of Misfits" is not surprisingly funny like "Arthur Christmas" was, or genuinely funny or heartfelt like many of the "Wallace and Gromit" films. This film is frustratingly and soul-grindingly long.
  2. Jul 29, 2012
    Just to begin on a lighter note, the map travel animations were mildly amusing, at best. With that behind us, take away Peter Pan

1. Reviewed by: Michelle Orange
    Apr 27, 2012
    It's all rather casual - not unengaging, exactly, but lacking a narrative energy all its own.
  2. Reviewed by: Ian Buckwalter
    Apr 27, 2012
    Barely a moment goes by without a well-orchestrated joke (or three), and it's paced as briskly as a clipper in front of a stiff tailwind.
  3. Reviewed by: Jody Mitori
    Apr 27, 2012
    The movie is missing the zippy chases and lovable characters of Aardman studio's previous films ("Arthur Christmas," "Chicken Run").