7.7

1. Nak
    Apr 21, 2013
    Very good acting, slow tedious development of the drama. Three different episodes poorly laced together. I'd rather seen them as three individual stories. No cinematic innovation in three very predictable outcomes.
    It's a bland production.
  2. May 5, 2013
    Disappointed with the disjointed nature of the movie at times. I was wishing for it to just get to the point of its obvious need to connect some important message between the death of the father, his murderer and the evolution of the orphaned son. I love Gosling in general but I was to eager for the movie to end---anywhere!
  3. Apr 28, 2013
    You have to be kidding. The movie doesn't end, and so predictable, that it's almost laughable. Who writes this stuff? Great actors with two movies rolled into one. Both terrible.
  4. Jul 15, 2013
    If you loved Ryan Gosling in Drive then you should leave this one. The guy starts growing a serious vagina about 20 minutes into the film and ruins everything. Loving that woman and her kid in Drive was fine. He was emotional and intense without saying a word. In this film he starts talking about wanting to see the look in his baby's eyes as he eats ice cream for the first time. I switched it off at that point. Also, why the hell would anyone decide to start robbing banks to support a baby they've only just found out they've got? Yeah good idea, risk getting yourself banged up for a few years, good parenting. Expand
  5. Apr 13, 2013
    A true independent art film. It does have a good start (but that is almost a whole other movie in itself) and a good ending (another movie) but the middle hour is unwatchable at times because of the overly dramatic art film tone... "I am a serious film shots". I couldn't believe how many people kept getting up in the middle to go to the restroom because things were so slow. Very unusual. There is a solid 90 minutes in a 140 minute film. You got the feeling that there was either pressure to keep some scenes of the A list actors in (so as not to offend them for having actually shot them) or the director's (student film ego) wouldn't allow it to be cut. Either way, if interested, rent the DVD so you can fast forward and see the good scenes and skip over over the top drama. You can come into the film 40 minutes late and it would probably be better. The middle wouldn't be so boring because you would be pieceing things together. Expand
  6. Apr 1, 2013
    The story is so melodramatic that this movie is a failure, despite its technical and stunt strengths. It is a failure despite one's suspicions that the melodrama is deliberate. It's a failure despite reuniting the Cianfrance/Gosling team from Blue Valentine.
    You will probably like this movie if you like to look at Gosling and Cooper for 2 hours. You will probably like this movie if you
    thought that Haggis' Crash was a good movie and not a ham-fisted melodrama. Anyone else should really stay away, despite the PR/marketing hype that it's an artful indie movie. Collapse
  7. Jun 12, 2013
    I read through the positive user reviews of this movie, and it made me think I watched a different movie, than the one they viewed. The way the go into detail about the positives, makes me think they are part of the production crew. I was bored out of my mind watching this. I kept checking my phone countless times, to look at the clock.
    I want the last two hours of my life back!!
  8. Aug 17, 2013
    great acting but the story is crap filled and boring its like three short stories and not a full film boring and a waste of time, couple hours people wont get back
  9. Mar 8, 2014
    There are 3 stories within this movie, none of which contained much detail, or made me feel anything for any characters. The best part is when the credits roll, because it's finally over. Way too long, not enough detail, but good acting, still only enough to give it a 1/10
  10. Sep 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie never delivers. Its advertised as a crime thriller, drama whatever but how can a thriller be a thriller without a climax? The best part of the movie suddenly ends about 30 minutes in and the rest of the movie is a dragged on boring nothingness. The ending is one of the worst I have ever seen. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Tom Huddleston
    Apr 29, 2013
    An enormously satisfying film: carefully observed and consistently compelling, it feels like an instant American classic, if a minor one.
  2. Reviewed by: Calvin Wilson
    Apr 12, 2013
    The acting is first-rate. Gosling masterfully fills in Luke’s motivational blanks, and Cooper nicely handles Avery’s evolution from idealist to manipulator.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Apr 12, 2013
    It's not a perfect film. There's still room for Cianfrance to grow as a storyteller. But it is entirely rewarding -- and I, for one, can't wait to see where he takes us next.