7.9

1. Apr 12, 2013
    Easily the best of 2013 so far. This movie had so much emotion with the soundtrack, characters, and symbolism. Where Django Unchained had me at the edge of my seat with excitment and laughter, PBP hit me right in the heart and soul.
  2. Apr 14, 2013
    Breathtaking cinematography. Beautiful and compelling. Incredible first act, story overlaid onto a town like Schenectady which is as much a character in the way it affects the players.
  3. Apr 14, 2013
    The best movie I've seen so far in 2013. The first two parts of this film are fantastic led by great performances by Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper. The third part while good does lack compared to the first two, but the first two are so good it still deserves a ten.
  4. May 18, 2013
    I was eagerly awaiting for this film to come out with expectations that it would be special. And even though I was not disappointed by the end result, I am still a little annoyed as this could have been a masterpiece.
    A poetic film defined by its velvety cinematography, a brilliant soundtrack and a beautifully woven layered storyline. The casting is absolutely superb (apart from Emory
    Cohen who is indifferent and in someways one of the few flaws of the otherwise perfect film) starting with the the mesmerizing Gosling, the on-form Cooper, the unexpectedly brilliant Mendes, the always harrowing Liotta, the consistently cool Mednelsohn and the up and coming intense DeHaan.
    A Greek like tragedy appears to have 3 distinct acts, the first of which is heavenly, the second near spotless (a tad longer than it should have been) and a third only let down by the uneven performance of Cohen, which leaves you guessing whether it is a chance to find redemption or to restart the cycle all over again.
  5. Apr 18, 2013
    Garsh, I loved this movie. Reminded me of A History of Violence, another great movie. I will see almost any movie that has Ray Liotta or Ed Harris in it.

In both films, the sons almost steal the movie from their fathers...
  6. Apr 23, 2013
    The best movie of 2013 so far. good drama, action, acting, and direction. Strong story about life's lessons. Long movie but it moves along smoothly.
  7. Oct 7, 2013
    We initially meet Luke as he walks towards his day job as a stunt bike driver, suiting up with his back to the camera is Ryan Gosling as the heavily tattooed man, wearing tattered clothes and constantly smoking cigarettes, I was immediately reminded of Mickey Rourke walking from his day job as a butcher in 'The Wrestler' as he hears the crowd around him, Luke has a unique talent as one of the bike riders, but his world changes when a former flame, Romina (Eva Mendes) comes back into his life, he is inadvertently met with the news of having a son. We realise the effect that news of such a multitude can hold, Luke changes his whole way of life in the hope of spending more time with his son, he runs into a friendly mechanic called Robin, he sees the talent in Luke but also sees it for a much more law-breaking sense. Luke and Robin soon embark on various bank robberies, initially to make more money to support Lukes family, but he ends up enjoying the adrenaline rush that comes with the territory. Robin is played by Ben Mendelsohn, who has really taken a career leap after is limited but effective appearance in The Dark Knight Rises, through his actions, we see the dangerous man that Luke is, he adores his son but not many others, brought to meaning by a strong performance as Gosling who is continuing to climb the ranks as one of the most sought after leads in Hollywood. But we also have a bigger picture, as an unprepared Luke runs into the law in the form of young cop Avery, played by Bradley Cooper,who takes the reins as the film begins to shift focus onto his character in fluid and well documented fashion, the cleverest part of this transition is the scenes that bare resemblances to earlier scenes involving Gosling, director Derek Cianfrance has did this to show the similarities of two men at opposite ends of the law, dealing with corruption, love and struggles in a marital relationship. We he quite a scope of film which opens up various side plots and also has a few time jumps which addresses characters and their ongoing life. A very calculated and edgy story keeps this film interesting as it always keeps is guessing with little given away to what the outcome is going to be, it builds at a slow pace to give its more pivotal scenes that added sense of urgency, as Luke bikes along the road it's like we're on the bike with him, candid and thrilling. We also have a small but memorable appearance from Ray Liotta, capitalising on grief while also being corrupt. The film finds its strength in its ability to piece everything together like a puzzle as the film moves forward, Dane DeHaan continues his hot streak in films with an almost show-stealing performance as the grown up son of Luke, while also starting a dysfunctional friendship with AJ (Emory Cohen), the son of Avery. This is a fascinating piece that has various plots that all fit together, strong performances round off a dramatic and clever story that never gives too much away, a scene that DeHaan and Cooper share outlines everything we know from the film, Coopers character asks if his son is alright, to which DeHaan replies "This isn't about your f*****g son" but we immediately realise the film has everything to do with these children, a subtle yet powerful approach to a simplistic telling. Expand
  8. Jul 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The place beyond the pines is a 2012 drama film directed by Derek Cinafrance (director of Blue Valentine) with Ryan Gosling, Bradley Cooper and Eva Mnedes. The plot is divided into three parts: the first part speaks of Luke (Ryan Gosling), a motorcyclist who was discovered to have had a son from his relationship with Romina (Eva Mendes), who is now married to another, she decides to start robbing banks to support his son. The second part talks about Avery (Bradley Cooper), a policeman while chasing Luke that he had robbed a bank, kills him and is called by all as a hero but this one did the will leave an enormous sense of guilt that will bring with him for a long time. The third and final part speaks of the children of Luke and Avery who become friends but later this friendship will crumble and the son of Luke, Jason, he discovers the truth about his past. A very ambitious film that succeeds thanks to the direction and screenplay of Cinfrance, to strike the viewer. The film teaches us the importance of the family and we see an example through the relationship between Luke and his son Jason. Beyond that, the film also speaks to us of the fate and how these three stories will eventually be united. Expand
  9. Oct 11, 2013
    What can I say....wow.. this is the best 2013 film i have seen so far. Great cast, perfect acting, nice turns in the story keeping it fresh and not predictable. A modern day classic, a perfect film, simply magnificent.
  10. May 2, 2013
    This is a riveting movie. Although long, it moves at warp speed. Beautifully filmed, judiciously edited, and acted impeccably, it is as urgent and moving a film as I have ever seen. I was not a fan of either Bradley Cooper and Ryan Gosling or Eva Mendes--that has changed. It is the supporting players, however, who steal the film. It's a tough minded, morally complex, greatly moving fillm.
  11. Jun 10, 2013
    To say The Place Beyond The Pines is a weak movie with weak drama could be considered an act of civil disobedience. Gosling (Drive, Lars and The Real Girl, Blue Valentine) and Cooper (Silver Lining's Playbook) come into their own to give both their best performances. The story builds on itself with each act of the film. This film can be considered to be the best father-son drama masterpiece of this generation, with an overall message that states one simple fact that we've known for decades: Like father, like son. Expand
  12. May 4, 2013
    Not enough praise can be given to a film like this. It boasts a great cast, beautiful cinematography and a raw, haunting and provoking score. But what makes it truly stand out is the bold, never timid, screenplay. One of the more engrossing cinematic experiences I've ever had.
  13. May 10, 2013
    Easily the very best movie of 2013 thus far. And one of my favorite movies. It was just excellent. The setting of the movie really made it all. Small town New York. It really captured the meaning of Sins of the Father. And how they can carry generation to generation. It was just perfect execution on both sides. This was a movie that was totally unpredictable. I would have never seen the direction of Luke go the way it went. It was a thrill ride to watch from start to finish. It was a lot better than Cianfrance's Blue Valentine, and I loved that movie. Dear Derek Cianfrance, Please continue to make movies. If The Place Beyond The Pines budget was indeed $15 Million, I can't imagine what you could do with a $40 Million budget. Signed, Clay Merritt

Excellent movie, I highly recommend it.
  14. Apr 17, 2013
    The first really good movie I've seen this year. Sucks that it takes until mid-April for a crime-thriller-drama this good to finally hit theaters. ...Beyond The Pines was refreshing, I did not know exactly where the story was going, and although the run time is over two hours long, it paces itself well. Nice to see a movie starring some big "names" share the screen without one or the other taking over the picture for the sake of their celebrity. Just a good story, well acted and crafted. This movie has put Derek Cianfrance in my list of filmmakers to watch out for. Expand
  15. Apr 27, 2013
    Amazing film. After 2010s Blue Valentine, Derek Cianfrance again partners with Ryan Gosling on a film about the workings of the family unit, but this time he focuses on fathers in particular. The film is split into three interrelated storylines, each one so well done and excellently developed that we almost get 3 (great) films at once. At a lengthy 2hrs. 20 minutes, The Place Beyond Pines packs a powerful punch thanks the involving story, perfect performances from the cast, and the flawless direction from Cianfrance. He was somehow able to catch every actor at their absolute best and most realistic moment on camera; the performances are all stunning. Ryan Gosling, Bradley Cooper, and Dane Dehaan are electric, and Eva Mendes, Rose Bryne, Ray Liotta, Ben Mendelsohn round out a stunning supporting cast. Though I felt the film was a bit heavily plotted at times (a bit like Blue Valentine was as well, actually), overall the film remains grounded. I fell for every bit of it. Thought provoking, unpredictable, and wholly original, The Place Beyond the Pines is one of the best films of the year. Expand
  16. Apr 14, 2013
    One of the more emotional films I have seen. A great film with Great cinematography and a beautiful soundtrack. Gosling's performance and Mendehlson;s were the most impressive of the film. Towards the end it starts to get a little shaky but overall I was very happy with it. A crime film about fathers and the legacy's they leave for there kids. Go see this film.
  17. Mar 29, 2013
    It's original, fresh and so lavishing that you will cry at the end. The Place Beyond The Pines is a elegant cinematic masterpiece by Derek Cinafrence who has made great films like Blue Valentine. The film has very good thrilling sequences of lore and dramatic sequences of love. The film has great pace and movie quality. The Place Beyond The Pines is epic.
  18. Apr 7, 2013
    This movie is amazing. I feel like Cianfrance knows me, my parents and my family the way he weaves characters together. Blue Valentine already hit close to home and this is Cianfrance doing his thing on a bigger scale. He is a master behind the camera and he has an amazing team in front of the camera. I'm sure this movie will have many haters for its unwieldy structure, but I love this movie and I know others will stand up for it as well. Derek Cianfrance, please keep making movies, because they really do it for me like no other movies do. Expand
  19. Aug 4, 2013
    This movie hit all the right notes for me. Visually, it's beautiful. The cinematography is incredibly well done, every shot is done just right. The soundtrack was perfect and really fit the subtle dark undertones this movie gives off. As for the acting, every major character in the movie is portrayed superbly well and full of emotion. Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper stand out to me as the two major actors who really nailed their roles in this movie, but Dane DeHaan also gives a very convincing and powerful performance. The story, without spoiling anything, can only be described as emotionally gripping. My only complaint with this film is that the third act was a bit too long. This is a very minor issue however, it gave me time to really soak in the entire movie and appreciate the final moments of this great film. Expand
  20. Apr 19, 2013
    This movie was like none I've seen in a while. It captures how a single exchange with a human being can alter our life forever, the impact one person can have on our life. It captures how life comes full circle and does it in such an original way. It's like watching 3 films in one. Brilliant. Brilliant. Brilliant.
  21. May 4, 2013
    This is one of my favorite 2013 films. Very unique and creative, takes very huge risks, and nails it. The acting choices are great, the direction, the music, the cinematography, the writing, and the perfect incorporation of the butterfly effect and karma makes this movie amazing. Also, I don't know if anyone noticed, but there were a lot of allusions to Star Wars in this movie. Watch it, and you will understand. Expand
  22. May 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Looking at the promo poster for The Place Beyond the Pines, we are immediately intrigued as to how director Derek Cianfrance is going to balance the play between the big names on display. The answer is: unconventionally.
    Ryan Gosling is a man of many talents, none of which are much of a secret. However, his cold, hard stare which adorns said poster is a clear indication that Luke, his character in this film, will be much closer to the enigmatic yet volatile hard-nut of Drive than, say, the sweethearted bohemian Noah whom he brought to life in The Notebook.
    And so the film opens with an Aronofsky-esque behind-the-head tracking shot of Gosling as he saunters from a grotty portacabin to his colloseum: the spherical cage in which he performs his dirt bike stunts. This shot is uninterrupted by cuts for a good five minutes. This film's beauty is in the simplicity.
    Cianfrance displays many fine examples of his directorial expertise throughout the 140 minute runtime of TPBTP. Whether it's his intricate manipulation of silhouettes like those of Jason (Dane De Haan) and AJ (Emory Cohen, a young talent to keep a look out for, FYI) just as the boys' friendship is flourishing, or its his command of the expansive landscapes of upstate New York during the films closing scenes, no visuals on display here are anything short of impressive.
    Bradley Cooper turns in a fine role. He's becoming quite a staple feature in Hollywood and this time he takes a turn as a good cop (which are few and far between in this movie) who then pursues a career in politics, all whilst battling troubles with family life and an over-bearing father with whom he evidently has some unresolved issues. It's a fine performance from Cooper, meanwhile, Eva Mendes just looks smashing as always.
    The tracking head shots are used to introduce a shift in the character being focussed on, something the film does no less than 4 times. While this is a bold idea which could fall flat on its face, Cianfrance deploys it with precision and keeps the film at a consistent pace for its duration.
    All in all, this is a film which explores, love, loss and desperation in depth. It is expertly directed, and the narrative does not suffer as a result of the ambitious directing. The fact that the film can dispose of a megastar like Gosling when the film is only 50 minutes old (What? This review was marked as spoiler-prone) and continue to be highly entertaining speaks for itself.
    The Place Beyond the Pines will leave you with a lasting impression long after Jason's dirt bike takes him into the unknown and gets the end credits rolling.
  23. May 28, 2013
    Why does 'the place beyond the pines' deserve a ten? Did you notice a flaw in the acting? did you notice any scene not handled with care? Did you notice any cliche story progression and dialogue? Ryan gosling revs up the rest of the movie to fall in his legacy and to be honest, I think this movie will be a miss for critics who assume this movie was made to impress them. This movie is a wonderful painting by derrick cianfrance and crew, and I hope later down the road it will be received better than it has been so far. Expand
  24. Jul 3, 2013
    One of the best films i have seen in 2013 so far. The story is fantastic, and Bradley Cooper is brilliant! Also the movie has a great twist. Also one of the better father and son movies.
  25. Jul 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The place beyond the pines is not just a Mohawk denomination for a little town (Schenectady), but is the name of a little-big masterpiece. I totally loved the plot that runs really good and let pass two hour and half like no other recent movie. I loved the acting of Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper. So emotionally, so deep and when "Luke Glanton" starts to be a bank robber, your adrenaline stars to flow like him in the movie as well as for "Avery Cross" and his peripeteias.

Derek Cianfrance is one of the "new" cinema's promises and I feel like he'll be back soon with another masterpiece, his job on this movie is just fantastic.

My vote is 9/10.
  26. Aug 14, 2013
    The title may sound like a some tourist trap gift shop near a nature trail but I think this movie may be the best drama I've seen in 2013. The story quickly sucked me in and was just enthralling. And the performances--from all the participants--are some of the best I've seen from each of them ever. The drama is done just right and the emotion is so heavy that it is practically soaking up the actual film stock. Just a great movie. Collapse
  27. Sep 10, 2013
    Ryan Gosling is the 2000 's version of 80 's Mickey Rourke. Great performance. And the soundtrack rocks!!! Fate comes with the kids, fate is the core value on the movie, the best of 2013.
  28. Nov 25, 2013
    I just adored this film. It bolsters great performances by the lead actors and a fantastically layered script which is filled with the underlying theme of how our decisions effect our families and other people in the world. This film is gritty, smart, and just all around fantastic. One of this years under appreciated gems.
  29. Nov 22, 2013
    Hi, My name's Marcio and I'm from Brazil. The Place Beyond the Pines is the one of the best movies I ever seen! Period! Ryan Gosling is a terrific young actor, this man always surprise me... Impressive! Bradley Cooper always pretty good acting too...
  30. Jan 1, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It might be slightly biased for me, considering it was filmed locally and I could pick out locations, but I loved this film. It takes daring leaps, and is told in three riveting parts that cover many topics. The first is mainly about Gosling's character and his path of crime, and then Bradley Cooper's character, who takes down Gosling, and discovers the corruption of the other policemen. Then their two sons meet in high school to discover things about their parents, and it shows how they impacted them, and they finish the story. A truly excellent film.

The Place Beyond the Pines gets an 8.5/10
  31. Apr 23, 2014
    This movie clearly shows that America makes quality films. Hands down the best movie I've seen in years. By far the best movie with Bradley cooper. Great cast and amazing story.

1. Reviewed by: Tom Huddleston
    Apr 29, 2013
    An enormously satisfying film: carefully observed and consistently compelling, it feels like an instant American classic, if a minor one.
  2. Reviewed by: Calvin Wilson
    Apr 12, 2013
    The acting is first-rate. Gosling masterfully fills in Luke’s motivational blanks, and Cooper nicely handles Avery’s evolution from idealist to manipulator.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Apr 12, 2013
    It's not a perfect film. There's still room for Cianfrance to grow as a storyteller. But it is entirely rewarding -- and I, for one, can't wait to see where he takes us next.