The Pledge

6.4

1. MikeL.
    Aug 25, 2001
    Such a good story and brilliant pacing/mood creation made for a great movie until the end was such a bummer that I was sorry I rented it. Movies can have bad endings when it makes sense or makes you think, but in this case, the only thing I was left thinking was, "why did they do that?"
  2. PatC.
    Jan 7, 2004
    Starts off taking us into unexplored territory, but then wanders off into its own authenticity.
  3. DennisM.
    Feb 11, 2001
    Long. Liked the ending.
  4. JohnH.
    Dec 29, 2001
    Even though it tries to seem deep the story is both simple anf forseeable. Exellent acting from almost all actors and nice pictureesque shots and thick atmosphere in most scenes.
  5. AaronS.
    Dec 31, 2002
    Was going great until the heinous ending, which totally "f"-ed up an otherwise brilliant picture. Terrific acting.
  6. Aug 28, 2014
    I can understand why The Pledge is oft-overlooked in Nicholson's career. He gives an above-average performance, backed by decent direction from Sean Penn.

Works best as a mood piece — the mood, however, is grim.
  2. Chicago Tribune
    Reviewed by: Michael Wilmington
    A rare thriller - and a rare American film - that centers on both dramatic and moral issues, crises of conscience. And thanks to a superb central performance by Nicholson as detective Black, it's a film that compels, thrills and ends up coming very close to tragedy.
    Just a bad movie, with more bits of good acting and flashes of director's invention than you get in most bad movies.