8.8

1. Dec 12, 2013
    The Prestige is a complex maze filled with countless twists and turns. Fortunately, the entire crew masterfully guides us away from all its dead ends through its great storyline, deep characters and immersive acting to get into its satisfying conclusion.
  2. Jan 2, 2011
    Easily one of the best movies of this (last) decade. The actors were wonderful (Bale never disappoints, and Hugh has a natural charm that can't be beaten), the story was fantastic, the length was just perfect, and everything else was flat out amazing.

I recommend this movie to anyone with a love for great film.
  3. Sep 4, 2012
    This is Christopher Nolan at his best. The ending provides a bigger twist than even Momento, and it is an enjoyable watch the entire time. The perspective is interesting because it is either in a variety of intricate ways. Great story, great acting, and great directing; all around an amazing film.
  4. Dec 30, 2013
    "The audience loves to be fooled". The first time I watched the Prestige I indeed was fooled, but if you take the time to watch it again and really follow closely then you will be greatly rewarded, as I believe this is one of the most intelligent films ever created.
  5. Mar 13, 2014
    Really good film. Did not understand but that was certainly the point; to blur the line between illusion and reality. In thst way, the film is a huge magic trick as it leaves you wondering how they just pulled off what they pulled off and what reality actually is. In that way, this film is a major accomplishment. Nolan is really on the top of his game here. Bale and Jackman were also greatReally good film. Did not understand but that was certainly the point; to blur the line between illusion and reality. In thst way, the film is a huge magic trick as it leaves you wondering how they just pulled off what they pulled off and what reality actually is. In that way, this film is a major accomplishment. Nolan is really on the top of his game here. Bale and Jackman were also great leads and while they were not in a ton of scenes together, they were undoubtedly dominated the screen. Another major plus was the costume design and the sets. As a period piece, they did a great job establishing the feel of the era. I also liked the undercurrent of rivalry in everything in the film. It was a really nice touch.

Main complaint is that it was very hard to follow since it jumped around a lot. This was a huge problem in the beginning, but by the end, more things made sense. But, the editing bothered me a lot as scenes seemed to be a mishmash with little care put towards continuity and flow.
  6. Dec 25, 2013
    This movie is awesome. It has a great cast, set with a great plot in one of the best time periods for magicians. The whole time you're wondering things like "how does he do it". He doesn't tell you until the end. The ending can be a bit confusing at first, but it does go back a bit so you can understand it. It's more complicated than some of the stuff in Inception, but the film is stillThis movie is awesome. It has a great cast, set with a great plot in one of the best time periods for magicians. The whole time you're wondering things like "how does he do it". He doesn't tell you until the end. The ending can be a bit confusing at first, but it does go back a bit so you can understand it. It's more complicated than some of the stuff in Inception, but the film is still good nevertheless. Expand
  7. Jan 15, 2014
    Good and exciting, original and dark. Loved every moment. Amazingly satisfying ending. The complaints of it being too complicated are unjust, if u can't keep up with the plot i think it's mostly your fault and not the movie's because all the large plot twists had many clues that foreshadowed them throughout the movie.
  8. Mar 31, 2014
    The viewer is allowed to question and ponder throughout The Prestige, but Nolan doesn't undermine the audience when he gives them the oppourtunity to know the answer from the beginning. A perfect equilibrium in mystery storytelling. The acting may not be at its best, but it is saved by the charm and faults of both lead roles and Michael Caine takes the torch of guide and accomplice withThe viewer is allowed to question and ponder throughout The Prestige, but Nolan doesn't undermine the audience when he gives them the oppourtunity to know the answer from the beginning. A perfect equilibrium in mystery storytelling. The acting may not be at its best, but it is saved by the charm and faults of both lead roles and Michael Caine takes the torch of guide and accomplice with undaunted and unstated pride. If it were not for a vapid 'Love B' story, this film could be argued to be the best of 2006. This is and will be Nolan's 'grows on you' film. Expand
  9. Jan 12, 2011
    what a movie! omg! no doubt, Chris Nolan is one of the best in the game! the cast, the plot, the twists..wonderful! genius..i'm speechless right now,i..i..i was blown away...vuf..100 out of 10! 100!!!!!
  10. Jan 21, 2011
    Great acting by Bale, Jackman, and Johansson even though it lacked the support from the other actors to give it a good acting grade. However, Nolan decides to put yet another new idea on the board just to simply add to his already prestigious resume.
  11. Dec 8, 2013
    I am outraged that this movie received a single, let alone 447 positive reviews. I cannot use foul language here, as much as I feel the urge, so I will just say this: shame on all of those who gave this movie a positive review, regardless of whether they did it because they are stupid or just because they are liars. I can't afford to waste two hours like this anymore, and I would like aI am outraged that this movie received a single, let alone 447 positive reviews. I cannot use foul language here, as much as I feel the urge, so I will just say this: shame on all of those who gave this movie a positive review, regardless of whether they did it because they are stupid or just because they are liars. I can't afford to waste two hours like this anymore, and I would like a warning before I see a dumb plotted, predictable piece of excrement like this one here. Who could have imagined that one guy had a twin brother, and that true magic would come about produced by none other than Nikola Tesla?! And the lead characters' motives, ridiculous. At first he hates him because he caused his wife's death, but then he couldn't care less any more about his wife, he just wants to ruin his act and steal his lousy tricks. The other guy reciprocates wholeheartedly. If you wondering who he is and who the other he is, you weren't paying attention. It's completely unimportant. Who cares. It just an awful, awful, aaaawful movie. If you haven't seen it, I envy you. Stay away!!! Expand
  12. Jan 19, 2012
    Easily one of the best movies i've ever watched. Very enrapturing and its got everything in it from drama, suspense, romance and outstanding performances. I've seen this movie numerous times and each time enjoy it! Definitely a must watch for movie lovers!
  13. Jun 14, 2013
    Brilliant. Breathtaking. Epic.
    Loved everything in the movie.. the plot, the characters and the cast, the direction, and the soundtrack !

One of my all-time top 10 movies
  14. Aug 23, 2010
    It took two viewings for me to fully appreciate The Prestige. I loved it the first time, but mostly because of the questions it left me with. The second time it just clicked and stirred up so many ideas and thoughts, I felt like I actually had witnessed something magical. There is so much going on in this movie, at times you lose yourself. The beauty of the film is in the intricacies ofIt took two viewings for me to fully appreciate The Prestige. I loved it the first time, but mostly because of the questions it left me with. The second time it just clicked and stirred up so many ideas and thoughts, I felt like I actually had witnessed something magical. There is so much going on in this movie, at times you lose yourself. The beauty of the film is in the intricacies of the plot. When asked at the start of the film, "Are you watching closely?" I only thought I was.

There are three parts to a magic trick. It begins with The Pledge. This establishes the illusion to be performed. Next comes the Turn. The Turn is the heart of any magic trick and initiates the perversion of reality. But actually doing the trick only prefaces undoing it. This part is called The Prestige. The title of the film is The Prestige for three reasons. The first involves rival magicians deadly pursuit of each other's Prestige. The second deals with the significance of consequence. Algiers and Borden never seem to learn they are responsible for their actions. Finally, The Prestige is aptly titled because it's about the pay off and quite literally the "undoing" of certain elements that made up the majority of the film. It is about refuting the false notions and suppositions audiences might cling to when watching.

Dueling magicians provide an intriguing stage to explore the competitive nature of man. On the surface, Algiers(Jackman) and Borden(Bale) seem well intentioned. Each wants a family, home and success as a magician. However, the basest characteristics of any type of performer are suspect in this film. Truth seems an empty word to all who speak it. Not one character in the film can be trusted. It sets up an interesting predicament as a viewer used to bonding with a usual protagonist. These characters endure countless pains and just when you start to care, they get back up and cause even more pain. The beautiful, horrible cycle within The Prestige reminds me of Nolan's Memento. Vengeance can be seductive; so much so, that the things each character thought they wanted become irrelevant.

Director, Christopher Nolan, dissects the boundaries man claims to put on himself. How far are we willing to go for success? Are we willing to get our hands dirty? What are we willing to sacrifice? The answers to these questions for Borden and Algiers are played out during the film, but they resonate past the narrative. Morality can't be part of a magician's repertoire because risk and death are essential to winning an audience. Nolan re-imagines death in this film. It is likened to the limits of human will. The "undoing" of death, or Prestige, comes at a high price. Our capacity to harm or love ourselves and others is unrestrained. Life is The Pledge, death is The Turn and then comes The Prestige.
  15. Sep 6, 2010
    This movie had me interested at the start. Watching them perform these magic tricks were astounding. The story about the bitter rivalry doesn't get points for originality, but it gets points because Jackman's and Bale's characters bring it to lengths that make you interested. it has quite a bit of funny moments, dramatic moments, suspenseful moments, and any other kind of moments. I keptThis movie had me interested at the start. Watching them perform these magic tricks were astounding. The story about the bitter rivalry doesn't get points for originality, but it gets points because Jackman's and Bale's characters bring it to lengths that make you interested. it has quite a bit of funny moments, dramatic moments, suspenseful moments, and any other kind of moments. I kept my eyes glued to the screen from start to finish. It says on the cover: "You want to see it again the second it's over" and that is true. Expand
  16. Dec 29, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I loved the twist in this movie, it's one where you are stunned and unsure what to think. I loved the actors and the magic tricks. It had a great plot, and my family loves it. Although I was rather disappointed the brother had to die. Expand
  17. Jul 31, 2011
  18. Jan 31, 2011
    This movie packs a surprising punch at the end! You don't wanna miss out on any opportunity to watch this movie, pay close attention if you even want to seem semi smart to your friends! I assure you it will confuse, and baffle you with powerful plot twists and turns! The last twist... you will never see coming! First time watchers prepare to be confused! Multiple watchers have a step up inThis movie packs a surprising punch at the end! You don't wanna miss out on any opportunity to watch this movie, pay close attention if you even want to seem semi smart to your friends! I assure you it will confuse, and baffle you with powerful plot twists and turns! The last twist... you will never see coming! First time watchers prepare to be confused! Multiple watchers have a step up in knowing what is going on in this wonderful thriller THE PRESTIGE Expand
  19. Feb 21, 2011
    I know some won't agree with me here, but, easily one of Christopher Nolan's best films. The script is impeccable, the editing is damn near perfect, and the cinematography is just what we come to expect from Wally Pfister, the best. A terrific film and a great bridge between Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. Christopher Nolan hones his craft with every film he makes.
  20. Mar 4, 2011
    "Are you watching closely?"

Set In the 19th century, this film tells the tale of three friends. Robert Angier (Hugh Jackman), his wife Julia and Alfred Borden (Christian Bale) are assistants to a magician. When a water tank trick goes horribly wrong, Robert and Alfred become bitter rivals in the magic industry, trying anything to ruin each others illusions. With one of the best cast line
    "Are you watching closely?"

With one of the best cast line ups in recent years, thereâ
  21. Apr 7, 2011
    Christopher Nolan never seizes to impress me, the magicians have nothing on this mans mind! I thought that the film was very good, I am a big fan of christian bale anyway so the fact that he was in this film was a must watch for me.
    The narrative showed that bitterness and rivalry ultimately gets you nowhere in the end.throughout the film i felt that hugh jackmans character was the more charming and innocent out of the two of them however as the plot began to unravel at the end i did feel deep sympathy for christian bales character. that soon goes away though when the twist is revieled. which is a amazing twist non the less of all his other twists and turns in all his other films.
    I recommend this film 10/10
  22. Nov 4, 2012
    great movie, the relationship between the two protagonists from good friends to sworn rivals is portrayed amazingly. although the ending was a little too sci-fi at the end for my taste, it doesn't spoil the rest of the movie. The acting is great, plot is consistent and with a good pace, and character development is good too. Overall a great movie
  23. Aug 25, 2011
    In the history of gimmick pictures, The Prestige stands as the Citizen Kane of the bunch. Many would immediately take the word "gimmicky" and make it automatically negative. Well, it is not. Gimmicks are everywhere, in great films and crappy films alike (tell me, would Jaws have been half as good if they'd shown the shark?). The key to a great gimmick film, and a lousy one is that when youIn the history of gimmick pictures, The Prestige stands as the Citizen Kane of the bunch. Many would immediately take the word "gimmicky" and make it automatically negative. Well, it is not. Gimmicks are everywhere, in great films and crappy films alike (tell me, would Jaws have been half as good if they'd shown the shark?). The key to a great gimmick film, and a lousy one is that when you have a gimmick, you have to use to the best of its abilities. If a filmmaker were to just toss in a gimmick, and go nowhere with it (i.e. Vantage Point), then the film is nothing but a gimmicky trainwreck. The Prestige, on the other hand, uses its gimmick technique to the full degree. The idea that every magic trick has three parts, and nothing is ever what it seems. The movie is so committed to this gimmick, it builds the entire film around it. Expand
  24. Apr 14, 2014
    This movie reminded me of The Illusionist. The acting, production, and general execution are all brilliant, but the story ends with a tired cliche. The writers must have been stuck on how to wrap up the The Prestige, so tossed in some unsatisfying science fiction at the end.
  25. Sep 24, 2012
    I think it's worth pointing out that this film is rather more intelligent than complicated. It showed this by hooking you in via the first few minutes with the scenario and then explaining in depth about it from different perspectives. That's one of the first films I've ever seen do that and it remained intriguing throughout - and the end! That was probably the best ending I've ever seen!I think it's worth pointing out that this film is rather more intelligent than complicated. It showed this by hooking you in via the first few minutes with the scenario and then explaining in depth about it from different perspectives. That's one of the first films I've ever seen do that and it remained intriguing throughout - and the end! That was probably the best ending I've ever seen! There was no loose ends, but with what the film gave you, it left you awe-inspired and shocked - who was who and what really went on? I was fascinated by the psychological aspects - it helped unearth more of the more disturbing characteristics of humanity - obsession and revenge. When you look at it, the magician's theme reflected these secrecies and psychological tricks that were employed. The actors were amazing - I didn't think Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale would star in a film together, but who cares, they were a perfect pair! It's just like Batman versus Wolverine but with magic. Despite that, the science alongside magic was a bit interfering as I was still more interested in finding out the surprise over surprise that continued to entertain me. Try not to big it up too much, Mr Nolan, you're brilliant at directing, but just try not to make it appear too big before it becomes a confusing, bloated mess. Expand
  26. Jan 28, 2013
    The Prestige is a simple example of what Christopher Nolan is capable of outside of his Batman universe.
    It's brilliant, sometimes brutal, throughly thought-provoking but most of all, vastly entertaining.
    We see two egotistical and **** amateur magicians, Robert Angier (Hugh Jackman) and Alfred Borden (Christian Bale) attempting to make their way in 19th Century London. Overseeing them
    Overseeing them is their mentor and stage engineer, John Cutter (Michael Caine), acting as a mentor and father to the aspiring masters.
    Much like Memento, The Prestige is told in a completely non-linear fashion, while off-putting to some, Nolan used this technique to create a wonderfully emotional yet tragic story as to how these magicians started as friends, but became mortal enemies.
    What is most intriguing about this story is one mans mission to outdo the other by any means necessary, and the others attempt at being too proud to reveal his desires or mistakes, some fatal.
    We see quite a timeframe in this film also, chronicling the lives of these two individuals, with a superb performances from both lead actors, and great performances from Scarlett Johansson and Rebecca Hall.
    The two smaller roles in the film but well acted and significant are that of David Bowie and Andy Serkis.
    Bowie plays Nikolay Tesla, an inventor, he possesses a very vague but interesting persona that only Bowie could have portrayed. Serkis plays Tesla;s assistant, Mr Alley.
    The screen chemistry between Jackman and Bale is a privilege to watch, these to wonderful actors really engross themselves in their roles, we feel their pain, we laugh when they laugh, they fit together quite brilliantly through their excellent presence onscreen and through Nolan's sharp direction.
    With some truly remarkable set pieces, its hard not too love magicians. Something so simple as making a ball disappear seems legendary when Christian Bale does it, he conveys his emotion into every scene and deserves the recognition he deserves.
    With a wonderfully twisted and jaw-dropping final act, or 'prestige', this film cements itself not only as a film by Christopher Nolan, but a film bursting so much with charisma and gritty realism of the supernatural, its difficult to find faults with such a remarkable piece of cinema. One thing is for sure, you should be watching closely...
  27. Feb 24, 2013
    The Prestige is vintage Christopher Nolan. A dark, twisted, visually appealing story. I enjoyed this movie a lot, but I must admit, for most of it, I had no idea what was happening. It was a cool story, about two rival magicians trying to discredit one another. While I enjoyed what I was seeing, the story just twisted and turned in ways I couldn't really follow. I know I loved watching it,The Prestige is vintage Christopher Nolan. A dark, twisted, visually appealing story. I enjoyed this movie a lot, but I must admit, for most of it, I had no idea what was happening. It was a cool story, about two rival magicians trying to discredit one another. While I enjoyed what I was seeing, the story just twisted and turned in ways I couldn't really follow. I know I loved watching it, but afterwards I was still like what the hell? The ending was the most confusing part, not real sure what happened there, maybe one day I'll get it. This film had the star power, one of Hollywood's best directors, and a unique story, but it's going to be hard for a lot of people to follow. I've seen 1000's of films, and it's not often that I get to say, I didn't really get it, especially with something I enjoyed, but I guess Christopher Nolan will do that to ya! Expand
  28. Aug 28, 2014
    A story of rivalry, magic, cheating, madness, and friendship that once broken tears both men apart.

The movie seems to move a little aimlessly sometimes. It brings together past and present, but it is done pretty smoothly and reveals us a fact after another, eventually creating a story full of layers of deceit and shock. Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale offer us top-notch performance

Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale offer us top-notch performance as tortured men who lost their way a long time ago; what they really wanted is long lost beneath anger and something masked as professional rivalry.

The plot if quite thrilling to the very end, making the viewer wait for the final answer.
  29. Jan 23, 2012
    If you liked the Illusionist, you'll absolutely love this! Christopher Nolan is probably one of the greatest film writers of all time. He can make a simple story into a complete plot-twister of a film. I have loved all his movies and I'm not sure if he will make a bad one. They have gotten better every time.
  30. May 11, 2012
    The Prestige combines a passionate rivalry between two magicians with the elusive art of magic itself, and voila! the world has another masterpiece by Christopher Nolan. Brilliant.
  31. Mar 20, 2012
    Brilliantly executed story and the acting is above superb. I had no doubt with the cast line up that the acting would be anything less than well, magical. This truly is the best film I've seen since Inception and I truly wonder why I have not heard more people going on about this film. Could it be too complicated for most audiences? I really hope that is not the case because the film isBrilliantly executed story and the acting is above superb. I had no doubt with the cast line up that the acting would be anything less than well, magical. This truly is the best film I've seen since Inception and I truly wonder why I have not heard more people going on about this film. Could it be too complicated for most audiences? I really hope that is not the case because the film is too extraordinarily awesome to go unseen. The only reason I didn't rate the film a 10 out of 10 is due to the complicated nature of the film. If it had been easier to understand, like Inception, which isn't all that easy, I would have given it that 10. At the same time, if the film was any simpler I don't know if it would be as mind blowing as it is. Thank you Mr. Nolan for another original and unusually fantastic ride! For my full review, visit http://visuallyimpairedreviews.blogspot.com/2012/03/prestige.html Expand
  32. Jul 1, 2012
    The Prestige explores the drive behind obession, the allure of magic tricks, and much more. A film that is perfectly balanced and wonderfully executed. The dark theme of the movie only helps to deliver the message and convey every amazing little detail. This is why I love Christopher Nolan.
  33. Mar 10, 2013
    The Prestige was a well done and entertaining movie. Both Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman did a great job in their respective roles and even David Bowie did a good job playing Nikola Tesla. The directing of the movie was good as well and I have no complaints in that department. For the most part this film had good plot twists but the biggest twist of the movie was so ridiculous that it wasThe Prestige was a well done and entertaining movie. Both Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman did a great job in their respective roles and even David Bowie did a good job playing Nikola Tesla. The directing of the movie was good as well and I have no complaints in that department. For the most part this film had good plot twists but the biggest twist of the movie was so ridiculous that it was laughable. The only reason I didn't rate this movie higher was because of the twist at the end. Honestly it almost ruined the movie for me. It was a very Shyamalanish twist. All I can say is, What a twist! Expand
  34. Jul 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This one of my favorite movies. Of course the illusion gives the movie did very well. Every dialogue of the movie is fabulous and so real................................................. Expand
  35. Nov 4, 2012
    A special movie. At first, the intricacies of the plot are hard to follow and the performances difficult to fully be appreciated. That being said, it gets better after every viewing. I honestly look forward to the next time I see it having just seen it for the third time.
  36. Aug 16, 2014
    If you haven't, you ABSOLUTELY SHOULD watch the movie "the prestige" with Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman. I am absolutely in love with Christian Bale AND Christopher Nolan. Christopher Nolan, in my opinion, makes THE BEST movies EVER and Christian Bale is the greatest actor today. Yes, there are lots of great directors and actors, but they can't make EVERY SINGLE ONE of their movies SOIf you haven't, you ABSOLUTELY SHOULD watch the movie "the prestige" with Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman. I am absolutely in love with Christian Bale AND Christopher Nolan. Christopher Nolan, in my opinion, makes THE BEST movies EVER and Christian Bale is the greatest actor today. Yes, there are lots of great directors and actors, but they can't make EVERY SINGLE ONE of their movies SO GREAT. Except for Quentin Tarantino.... He and Nolan are the best. But if Quentin makes fun movies that are not always serious, then Nolan makes the best thrilers! I can't forget his The Dark Knight series, Memento, and now, The Prestige. You absolutely should watch The Prestige. Expand
  37. Jan 29, 2013
    Interesting a memorable characters, perfectly cast, great art direction and costuming, this movie has everything to make it not only the closest I've ever seen to a film capturing the essence of a novel, but the closest I've seen to a perfectly layered and written film. Beautiful stuff.
  38. Feb 4, 2013
    Amazing movie, mind blowing. Christopher Nolan, you have done it again! Nolan is best known for his twist endings, and the ending of this one was his best. Bonus points for using Scarlett Johansson.
  39. Jun 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For me, this movie was a disappiontment, because of two things. Two fatal flaws that ruined the whole experience for me.

1st: I couldn't care about rivalry of Jackman's and Bale's character, because I didn't root for any of them. They were both bitter, and blind, and I didn't sympathize with them. As a Rival movie I'd rather recommend watching AlPacino's and Robert Deniro's "Heat", which had a way more interesting duel between, where both characters were interesting and reasonable.

2nd: That machine. That f*ckin machine. SPOILERS on the way..: You have a machine that can duplicate anything. Man, woman, cat, dog, food, money, gold, anything. And what does Jackman's character do with it? Do something that can help the people?PFFFF. NO. HE USES IT FOR THAT GODDAMN TELEPORTING TRICK..*sigh* But you know what? Okay. Let's say he just doesnt care about anything else on this planet (*cough*selfish bastard*cough*), but that one trick. Okay. I understand it. I don't agree but I understand it....BUT, WHY IN THE MOTHERF*CKING, BLODDY, *SSR*PING HELL DOES TESLA GIVE SUCH A GREAT MACHINE TO SUCH AN IDIOT? OR TO ANYONE? One of my friends said because it didn't work as he intended. But, GOD, there were hundreds of scientist who discovered, and invented things accidentally. Is Tesla really that choosy.? I don't believe it. No, I, I just can't.

Apart from that, the movie was enjoyable. Dark, but enjoyable with an interesting twist at the end. Now that I think about it, Christian Bale's story was at least well-thought-out, well, compared to Jackman's story. If you like stories played in the old England, with great actors, with half-a-good-story and you can forget about the Machine and hpw they use it (NOT THAT EASY.) then maybe you can enjoy this movie more than I did. (not a big praise, is it?).
  40. Apr 8, 2013
    i spent about 15 minutes just thinking after the movie ended this is just one of the movies that remind you how christopher nolan a true genies.
    the writing was a spectacular the direction was astonishing and the main characters were amazing this is enough elements to make a successful movie.
    i think that this is one of the few movies that actually blow you away.
  41. Jun 19, 2013
    Easily one of the best movies about magic. Christopher Nolan shoots every piece of this movie perfectly and many of the twists you don't see coming at all.
  42. Jun 11, 2013
    This is my favorite movie of all time, and probably always will be. For many years before I saw this movie, I was unsure of my "favorite" movie, there was always 5 in a mix of movies I would mention. I can't count how many times I've watched this movie, even knowing how it ends, it still tickles me just right. Nolan is a genious. Caine, Bale & Jackman are at their best here.
  43. Jun 10, 2013
    Probably one of the best films ever made. I want to watch it again and again. Nolan's films are the best. This is a three time must-see. Don't understand the critics but the end and the whole film are extremely outstanding and marvellous. Bravo
  44. Jul 5, 2014
    The Prestige is an mysterious and magical movie that truly gives your brain something to work with.

The film's structure is similar to Memento but is less confusing, which I really admire. This doesn't mean that it's free from deficiencies, because it's not, and that's because the structure of the film is a little confusing and the soundtrack wasn't touching at all. But with great actors, much entertaining scenes, a magical ending and a high amount of unique things that we never have seen before is The Prestige a huge movie which I must recommend to everyone (and to see twice).

A classic work from our beloved director Christopher Nolan.

The Prestige gets a 8/10
  45. Aug 20, 2014
    "The Prestige is an interesting film about a rivalry between two magicians, but when the twist happens, you will be disappointed by its predictability, thus spoiling the rest of the movie". 5/10.

This is what I wrote while watching this movie, (I wrote it down about 5 minutes from the end) and I was going submit it as my review; until I saw the last three seconds of the movie. My rating has jumped to 8/10. I shall say no more, except that the greatest trick Nolan pulled on me was almost making me believe he had made a very predictable and dull movie. But, he continues to amaze me, as 3 seconds of a movie can make such a difference.
  46. Oct 18, 2013
    Awesome movie i ever seen in life...chris nolan is the best and my fav director...
    i think this movie made, cause the director is chris nolan...
    the cast, the plot, the twists..wonderful! genius..i'm speechless right now...
  47. Mar 6, 2014
    I love it this film. The film tells the rivalry between two wizards that they start being friends and the and as the rivalry between the two ends up destroying their lives. the film has an impressive and surprising end. See a film second time, we can appreciate more details.
  48. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    The Prestige was quite interesting with all the magic tricks that are impossible to pull off contained in it, and the acting was magnificent as well as the story.
  49. Jan 19, 2015
    The Prestige revolves around 2 magicians who initially be-friend one another but due to an unfortunate event that triggers the worst in both men, they become archrivals. It's rushed but works. The entire film focuses on the attempts of these 2 men to outclass one another and how they end up bringing great pain to themselves. The Premise is quite basic but Nolan juggles multiple story linesThe Prestige revolves around 2 magicians who initially be-friend one another but due to an unfortunate event that triggers the worst in both men, they become archrivals. It's rushed but works. The entire film focuses on the attempts of these 2 men to outclass one another and how they end up bringing great pain to themselves. The Premise is quite basic but Nolan juggles multiple story lines and muddles it in a way that makes it not so easy to follow. This movie is more of a puzzle than a meaningful film. It keeps playing tricks on you but once the novelty wears off, it's easy to see, it's too smart for its own good. The more tricks it plays on you, the more you raise your eyebrow and go, "Hmm, did he need to do that?" because most of these stunts don't contribute too much. In a movie that's so cold at its core, you can't be emotionally invested and these tricks turn frustrating, even annoying. But the 3rd Act is what really killed it for me. The Prestige builds up a lot of suspense in the first 2 Acts and the answer it provides at the end is-"Magic"- and that was so unsatisfying to me. Another major problem I had with it was that in this cold-hearted rivalry between these 2 despicable men, Nolan actually does reveal a winner, which was again very unnecessary. Through the film I thought it was trying to convey, "if you fixate yourself on bringing pain to someone else you end up hurting yourself". But the ending threw that right out of the window.
    The Prestige is defined as the final act of a magic trick that instills fascination; ironically, it's the prestige of this film that let it down. Well the Prestige isn't art but it's still fun to watch; at least the first time.
  50. May 22, 2014
    Oh my god this film. I don't know how to describe it: if you have a working brain, watch it. That's amazing. Mr. Nolan confirms another time that sometimes you NEED something different from random exploding cars and bullets everywhere. The first time i saw it, at the last minutes, i wasreally confused and i thought "yes, that's a good movie, but it's too complicated. And obviously i'mOh my god this film. I don't know how to describe it: if you have a working brain, watch it. That's amazing. Mr. Nolan confirms another time that sometimes you NEED something different from random exploding cars and bullets everywhere. The first time i saw it, at the last minutes, i wasreally confused and i thought "yes, that's a good movie, but it's too complicated. And obviously i'm going to see an ending like 'it was only a dream' or something like that". But the ending was one of the best moment of my life. In a second I understood everything and i felt a feeling like "oh my god i can't believe that just happened oh my god". Now stop reading reviews on metacritic, just see that film. Expand
  51. Jun 8, 2014
    Really enjoyed this movie. If you overlook the plot holes, it is quite gripping and eventful. Better than the final batman and one of Christopher Nolan's best. 8/10
  52. Nov 9, 2014
  53. Feb 17, 2015
    Before the successful of their big blockbusters, the Nolan's siblings explore the world of stage magicians by summarising the magic performances into three parts - the pledge, the turn and the prestige, which the movie further develops based on the structures although it starts off slowly with its own unique beginning. It seems that in most Nolan's film, the ending scene always appears atBefore the successful of their big blockbusters, the Nolan's siblings explore the world of stage magicians by summarising the magic performances into three parts - the pledge, the turn and the prestige, which the movie further develops based on the structures although it starts off slowly with its own unique beginning. It seems that in most Nolan's film, the ending scene always appears at the opening but his narrative style however manages to make audiences to forget that regardless on the complexity of the content he tries to confuse us, it is actually a straightforward plot with the key answers already revealed indirectly at the first scene. The performances of Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman are extremely outstanding, thanks to the character developments that allow them to be both the antagonist and protagonist at the same time due to their eagerness for glory that they have eroded not only the morality of this magical great art, but to sacrifice their own lives and the one they love. The duality is a brilliant central concept of the film extracted in two different ways on both leads, it never stops engaging but to challenge the mindset of the viewers with several dark twisted plots and ambiguity. Although with a bit of weaker scores (due to no Hans Zimmer), Nolan's smart piece of magical art is interesting to stress that the trick of victory comes only when a person overlook and think that he has already won the rival. Expand
  54. Jan 2, 2015
    The screenplay suits the well chosen actors, the atmosphere gets one's imagination attracted to a different time & place, visuals are all satisfying. Mind tricks all across as an additional flavour for the mind.
  55. Apr 23, 2015
    Watching The Prestige is like observing a magic act where the magician's sleight-of-hand isn't deft enough. The trick almost works, but not quite… With its mechanical twists and turns and lack of heart, the movie often resembles Sleuth in superficial ways, except The Prestige resorts to cheating while Sleuth relied on cunning and guile. As is too often the case with narratives that try toWatching The Prestige is like observing a magic act where the magician's sleight-of-hand isn't deft enough. The trick almost works, but not quite… With its mechanical twists and turns and lack of heart, the movie often resembles Sleuth in superficial ways, except The Prestige resorts to cheating while Sleuth relied on cunning and guile. As is too often the case with narratives that try to be oblique to the end, the film's climax is strangely predictable. The Prestige goes to a great deal of trouble - including a triple time-line - to protect secrets that aren't all that surprising or hard to guess.

With a pedigree as splendid as the one behind The Prestige, the movie's inability to captivate consistently must be considered a disappointment. In the sweepstakes for best 2006 movie about conjurors performing circa 1900, The Illusionist is a few steps ahead of The Prestige. While one could argue that both films telegraph their third-act surprises, The Illusionist is less ponderous and more enjoyable. There are times when The Prestige bogs down and the needlessly convoluted way in which director Christopher Nolan elects to present the story doesn't help. Maybe he was looking for inspiration from his brilliant non-linear Memento.

The Prestige is too well made to be considered "bad," but it fails to deliver in ways that will earn it more shrugs than raves. There's nothing wrong on the acting front: headliners Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale are at the tops of their games as rival magicians caught in the grip of an obsession to defeat one another. Michael Caine is delightful in a supporting role. Scarlett Johansson is wasted playing another love interest - a part with which she is gaining too much familiarity. Rebecca Hall plays a similar role but does it better. There's also a bit of stunt casting, with David Bowie playing real life scientist Nikola Tesla.

The narrative eventually missteps by taking a wrong turn down a road that leads into science fiction. For a period piece that is so meticulously detailed, this is an odd way to go, and in a way it seems to be a betrayal of all that has gone before. Its integration is awkward and it alters the suspension of disbelief curve (not for the better). Even buying this premise is not guaranteed to open the gates to unfettered enjoyment. As is often true of movies about revenge and obsession, The Prestige is cold, and Nolan crafts a storyline that is more complicated than necessary. If his goal is to make things seem more profound or to obscure what's around the next curve in the plot, he is not entirely successful. As for the explanation at the end…yes, it's one of those instances in which a guy holding a gun provides a blow-by-blow account more for the benefit of the audience than the other character.

Those hoping to gain insight into how magicians work won't find a lot of help here. The details of a few tricks are revealed, but they're filled with cheats that can be found only in movies or literature. The title is explained as being one of three steps in a trick: the pledge, the turn, and the prestige. Oddly, it's that third act, the prestige, where this film is found lacking. There's plenty going on but never any real magic.

1. Audiences might enjoy this cinematic sleight of hand, but the key characters are such single-minded, calculating individuals that the real magic would be to find any heart in this tale.
  2. Reviewed by: Dennis Harvey
    Clearly, director Nolan is aiming for something else. But the delight in sheer gamesmanship that marked his breakout "Memento" doesn't survive this project's gimmickry and aspirations toward "Les Miserables"-style epic passion.
  3. Reviewed by: Scott Foundas
    The result is a lopsided yet absorbing movie in which the director is less drawn to his main characters than to those on the periphery.