8.8

1. Dec 12, 2013
    The Prestige is a complex maze filled with countless twists and turns. Fortunately, the entire crew masterfully guides us away from all its dead ends through its great storyline, deep characters and immersive acting to get into its satisfying conclusion.
  2. Jan 2, 2011
    Easily one of the best movies of this (last) decade. The actors were wonderful (Bale never disappoints, and Hugh has a natural charm that can't be beaten), the story was fantastic, the length was just perfect, and everything else was flat out amazing.

I recommend this movie to anyone with a love for great film.
  3. Sep 4, 2012
    This is Christopher Nolan at his best. The ending provides a bigger twist than even Momento, and it is an enjoyable watch the entire time. The perspective is interesting because it is either in a variety of intricate ways. Great story, great acting, and great directing; all around an amazing film.
  4. Dec 30, 2013
    "The audience loves to be fooled". The first time I watched the Prestige I indeed was fooled, but if you take the time to watch it again and really follow closely then you will be greatly rewarded, as I believe this is one of the most intelligent films ever created.
  5. BR
    Oct 20, 2006
    It's funny, as it seems almost all the critics take pride in themselves for pointing out that the film may be too complicated for its own good. Well I say it's about time, here we are complaining about other movies all year for not having a lick of intelligence and then Nolan's 'The Prestige' comes out to answer the calls and now it's too much? This, ladies It's funny, as it seems almost all the critics take pride in themselves for pointing out that the film may be too complicated for its own good. Well I say it's about time, here we are complaining about other movies all year for not having a lick of intelligence and then Nolan's 'The Prestige' comes out to answer the calls and now it's too much? This, ladies and gentlemen, is the film we have all be waiting for! BRAVO Mr. Nolan, your dark and beautiful tale of two obsessed magicians falls into my book as one of the best films this year. Sure to be remembered years from now. Cheers. Expand
  6. BillyM.
    May 20, 2008
    These critics are full of it! This movie has one of the best endings I have ever seen. I recently took a 12 hour flight in which "The Prestige" was showing and didn't even want to get off the plane when we landed just so I could see the ending!
  7. R.L.
    Mar 16, 2009
    There are three acts to a magicians show. The first is called the pledge: the magician shows the audience something normal, but in reality it's not. The second act is called the turn: The Magician makes the ordinary something do something incredible.The third act is called The Prestige, and that is what this exceptional film is about. The Prestige stars Hugh Jackman and Christian There are three acts to a magicians show. The first is called the pledge: the magician shows the audience something normal, but in reality it's not. The second act is called the turn: The Magician makes the ordinary something do something incredible.The third act is called The Prestige, and that is what this exceptional film is about. The Prestige stars Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale as Robert Angier and Alfred Borden, they were best friends and partners until one night one of there biggest tricks went horribly wrong and cost them a valued member of the act.The two friends are now the bitterest of rivals; trying to out do each other to see who's the better magician. As the rivalry escalates into a full blow obsession, the two magicians start to make and preform more and more dangerous tricks. But all is not what it seems. The Prestige directed by Christopher Nolan and based on the novel by Christopher Priest is the second movie made to explore the depths of stage magic, and it is by far the best one, The Prestige is a dark and sinister psychological thriller that will boggle your mind and keep you coming back for even more.You'll want to see it again the minute it's over, it's that good, this film explores the depths of what revenge and obsession does to a man, what it does to a person and what it can do to your life. We see that on Angier's part that it has turned him into a monster,a man who would kill to be the best, Borden on the other hands has not been affected to much, by this we can that this rivalry doesn't extend all the way into Alfred's life as it does Robert's. Obsession and revenge is a thing that most people live for and thrive on everyday of there lives. We see that here with Robert, he won't stop until he's destroyed Alfred's life, that's revenge. Angier will also stop at nothing until he learns all of Borden's secret's, that's obsession. put those two together and you've got a movie you can't afford the miss. Also watch closely because nothing is what it seems. Expand
  8. Dec 25, 2013
    This movie is awesome. It has a great cast, set with a great plot in one of the best time periods for magicians. The whole time you're wondering things like "how does he do it". He doesn't tell you until the end. The ending can be a bit confusing at first, but it does go back a bit so you can understand it. It's more complicated than some of the stuff in Inception, but the film is stillThis movie is awesome. It has a great cast, set with a great plot in one of the best time periods for magicians. The whole time you're wondering things like "how does he do it". He doesn't tell you until the end. The ending can be a bit confusing at first, but it does go back a bit so you can understand it. It's more complicated than some of the stuff in Inception, but the film is still good nevertheless. Expand
  9. Jan 15, 2014
    Good and exciting, original and dark. Loved every moment. Amazingly satisfying ending. The complaints of it being too complicated are unjust, if u can't keep up with the plot i think it's mostly your fault and not the movie's because all the large plot twists had many clues that foreshadowed them throughout the movie.
  10. Jan 12, 2011
    what a movie! omg! no doubt, Chris Nolan is one of the best in the game! the cast, the plot, the twists..wonderful! genius..i'm speechless right now,i..i..i was blown away...vuf..100 out of 10! 100!!!!!
  11. Jan 21, 2011
    Great acting by Bale, Jackman, and Johansson even though it lacked the support from the other actors to give it a good acting grade. However, Nolan decides to put yet another new idea on the board just to simply add to his already prestigious resume.
  12. Jan 19, 2012
    Easily one of the best movies i've ever watched. Very enrapturing and its got everything in it from drama, suspense, romance and outstanding performances. I've seen this movie numerous times and each time enjoy it! Definitely a must watch for movie lovers!
  13. Jun 14, 2013
    Brilliant. Breathtaking. Epic.
    Loved everything in the movie.. the plot, the characters and the cast, the direction, and the soundtrack !

One of my all-time top 10 movies
  14. theiboygenius
    Oct 27, 2006
    To some of those who do not like The Prestige probably because they couldn
  15. JasonH.
    Oct 30, 2006
    The Prestige is a wonderful, mind-bending movie full of twists and turns and human faults and obessions. I love Nolan movies because they are always so twisting and turning and leave the audience never fully knowing what is going on when and where. I love the suspense of being challenged by a movie to figure out how the past and present scenes tangle together and fit just right. If you The Prestige is a wonderful, mind-bending movie full of twists and turns and human faults and obessions. I love Nolan movies because they are always so twisting and turning and leave the audience never fully knowing what is going on when and where. I love the suspense of being challenged by a movie to figure out how the past and present scenes tangle together and fit just right. If you want an intellectually challenging movie, then The Prestige is for YOU! Expand
  16. Conor
    Jan 10, 2007
    As absorbing as it is abstruse, and all the better for it. In a cinema-world dominated by linear narratives, gross-out humour and feel-good animation, this is an intricate masterpiece of subtlety and surreality. The kind of movie that is experienced rather than watched, that maintains a commanding hold over the viewer rather than passively baring all in simplistic fashion. Couple this As absorbing as it is abstruse, and all the better for it. In a cinema-world dominated by linear narratives, gross-out humour and feel-good animation, this is an intricate masterpiece of subtlety and surreality. The kind of movie that is experienced rather than watched, that maintains a commanding hold over the viewer rather than passively baring all in simplistic fashion. Couple this with an all-star cast that would have turned the worst script into good theatre, and we have one of the best movies of 2006. Expand
  17. WillHack
    Jul 2, 2008
    Keeps you guessing the whole way.
  18. JoeM.
    Oct 21, 2006
    Don't believe the San Francisco Chronicle review. They are always OFF !!! I think they don't want you to see all the great movies. This movie was great from beginning to end.
  19. RobbieM.
    Oct 20, 2006
    I thought it was amazing, my heart was pounding throughout.
  20. JoshS.
    Oct 23, 2006
    An excellent and engaging film. Brilliant acting all around and wonderful direction by Nolan. It's also one of the darkest movies I've seen in a long time.
  21. RonG
    Oct 26, 2006
    Loved it, loved it, loved it! Nolan does it again and Bale and Jackman were amazing.
  22. BradG
    Oct 28, 2006
    It was the best movie I've seen this year. I love good films, and this movie proves once again that many critics will bash a beautiful, thrilling film simply becasue it wasn't made on a shoestring budget by an obscure director. I'd love to back up that claim, but any in-depth discussion would ruin this film's flawless mechanics and twists. Go see it, it's one of It was the best movie I've seen this year. I love good films, and this movie proves once again that many critics will bash a beautiful, thrilling film simply becasue it wasn't made on a shoestring budget by an obscure director. I'd love to back up that claim, but any in-depth discussion would ruin this film's flawless mechanics and twists. Go see it, it's one of the few movies worth the 10 dollars we have to fork out for a flick these days. Expand
  23. George
    Oct 30, 2006
    Excellent movie. Great story and acting, it feels a little long at points, but doesn't take away from the enjoyment.
  24. JaredB.
    Jan 5, 2007
    Going into the theater for this movie, I was afraid I was going to be bored to death. However, just the opposite was true. My eyes became glued to the screen from the first minute and I never looked away. The pairing of Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman was a stroke of genius. Speaking as a typical male, I really enjoyed Piper Perabo's scenes. Altogether, an incredible film.
  25. JustinV.
    Feb 10, 2007
    This movie contains everything that could make it an instant classic. The Actors/actresses were chosen perfectly for their roles.. The movie itself feels like magic after watching it.. With every turn a new piece of the puzzle is thrown together.. All for the giant picture in the end which will baffle even the smartest of people. This movie takes its place as #1 on my list, and i bet This movie contains everything that could make it an instant classic. The Actors/actresses were chosen perfectly for their roles.. The movie itself feels like magic after watching it.. With every turn a new piece of the puzzle is thrown together.. All for the giant picture in the end which will baffle even the smartest of people. This movie takes its place as #1 on my list, and i bet anyone that enjoys a little mystery and magic will agree.. 10/10. Expand
  26. DanB.
    Mar 2, 2007
    Really good entertainment. Really surprising at the end, too! Though not the very very end--the very last thing they show, which is supposed to be a surprise, confused me, because I figured it out about 5 to 15 minutes beforehand, and I imagine many if not most people will have made the connection. Still, that's really just one off-note. (Oh, one other thing: David Bowie kicks arse. Really good entertainment. Really surprising at the end, too! Though not the very very end--the very last thing they show, which is supposed to be a surprise, confused me, because I figured it out about 5 to 15 minutes beforehand, and I imagine many if not most people will have made the connection. Still, that's really just one off-note. (Oh, one other thing: David Bowie kicks arse. What fantastic casting.) Expand
  27. Rich
    Apr 3, 2007
    Went to see this film with my twin brother who's an alcoholic. We both LOVED it! Great storyline and performance by each and every actor. Intelligent screenplay that'll keep you glued to the screen.
  28. BillA
    Apr 19, 2008
    This film is absolutely stunning and jaw dropping. Without no doubt Nolan truly does show his expertise in producing such a magnificent piece of work. Utterly, utterly amazing.
  29. JaimeLavie
    Apr 26, 2008
    I usually don't vote, nor comment on movies. This time though, I have to : what is this about "science-fiction" ruining the movie or "hollow ending" ? Some critics obviously need to see the movie twice, maybe then they will understand why it is called "the prestige". The whole movie is a delightful, most enjoyable magical trick. But as Cutter explains in the movie : "people I usually don't vote, nor comment on movies. This time though, I have to : what is this about "science-fiction" ruining the movie or "hollow ending" ? Some critics obviously need to see the movie twice, maybe then they will understand why it is called "the prestige". The whole movie is a delightful, most enjoyable magical trick. But as Cutter explains in the movie : "people don't see the truth because they don't want to". Congratulations ! Expand
  30. RishiI
    Jul 10, 2008
    Was told by a friend to watch this movie, because he kept banging on about the plot twist. Well, it seems he was right. It is very good, the script is beautifully written and Bale is magnificent throughout.
  31. John
    Jul 9, 2008
    Very cool movie! The twists were amazing and had me remembering the film long after I'd seen it. There is great acting happening here. The world and characters are believable. All in all another great film by Nolan.
  32. AstridI.
    Nov 13, 2006
    I did not regret watching this film at all. It was wondrous and intellectually stimulating: it succeeded in creating a thrilling, philosophical weave exploring human nature, science and what else but magic. Such films are rare. Some parts of it did not have to be realistic for one to enjoy - the nature of a good story sometimes involves a bit of fable, genuine warmth and true depth at its I did not regret watching this film at all. It was wondrous and intellectually stimulating: it succeeded in creating a thrilling, philosophical weave exploring human nature, science and what else but magic. Such films are rare. Some parts of it did not have to be realistic for one to enjoy - the nature of a good story sometimes involves a bit of fable, genuine warmth and true depth at its very core. The Prestige simply delivers. Do not let the easy guesswork at the ending, or the length of the film, faze you. Highly recommended. Expand
  33. EdA.
    Nov 14, 2006
    This film is one of my favourite of the year. Really drew me in and rewarded my attention. Great acting all round in my opinion and is certainly unique.
  34. Lisa
    Nov 4, 2006
    Outstanding screenplay, pacing, acting, set decoration, costumes. One of the most engaging movies I've been to in a LONG time - you do have to pay attention, so if you're looking for brain candy, this ain't it. Glorious twists and a drop-dead performance by David Bowie as the eccentric Tesla. Not to be missed for fans of Memento, Sixth Sense, and other movies that twist so Outstanding screenplay, pacing, acting, set decoration, costumes. One of the most engaging movies I've been to in a LONG time - you do have to pay attention, so if you're looking for brain candy, this ain't it. Glorious twists and a drop-dead performance by David Bowie as the eccentric Tesla. Not to be missed for fans of Memento, Sixth Sense, and other movies that twist so hard at the end you fall out of your chair with WOW. Expand
  35. BrianB.
    Nov 5, 2006
    Magic! This movie was pure magic that will trick you! I was still guessing when I walked out of the theatre. I "think" I may have figured it out.
  36. LucyA.
    Dec 10, 2006
    An excellent thriller (one of the best I've seen in years) and one of my favorite films of the year... The performances (especially Christian Bale's) are great and the screenplay is just brilliant. A must-see... definitely!
  37. DrewF.
    Oct 21, 2006
    Fantastic cast. Tremendous story. Great expose on the complexities of obsession. This shoots to the top of my list for best movies of the year.
  38. TylerW.
    Oct 21, 2006
    I thought this movie very well done. so much it still blows my mind everytime i think about it. I'm a huge movie goer and even started to write reviews, but Prestige is the best movie that i have seen in a long time!!!
  39. EnderW.
    Oct 20, 2006
    The best movie I have seen in a very long time. It will make you think... and continue to think long after you leave the theater. The movie itself follows the formula outlined in the trailer... It makes a pledge and shows you what should be "normal", it has a turn... or maybe a handful of turns as it leads you down its path... and finally we come to the prestige. You may begin to feel The best movie I have seen in a very long time. It will make you think... and continue to think long after you leave the theater. The movie itself follows the formula outlined in the trailer... It makes a pledge and shows you what should be "normal", it has a turn... or maybe a handful of turns as it leads you down its path... and finally we come to the prestige. You may begin to feel disappointment if you believe you figured out part of the trick before it's done, and when a certain element or elements are revealed you may hear that inner "I knew it!" but do me a favor an delve beneath the surface. This story is more about motivations and points of view than mere mechanics. And what you knew or thought you knew maybe viewed quite differently a few hours after seeing this excellent film. Expand
  40. KevG.
    Oct 21, 2006
    Thus far the year's best film (The Departed hasnt arrived in my country yet so I dont know). Great acting, great plot, great twists, although I saw the major twists a few moments before they were revealed, it was still an awesome film.
  41. ArenB.
    Dec 20, 2006
    This film is truly a magic trick in itself. It dazzles, confuses and entertains the audience all at the same time. With great directing from Christopher Nolan and amazing acting from the entire cast, this film transcends what it should have been and is something much better. Bravo Nolan.
  42. EnriqueG
    Oct 23, 2006
    Just perfect. Almost a masterpiece.
  43. BillyS
    Oct 24, 2006
    A knock-your-socks-off great movie! Every frame of this film oozes quality. Can't wait to see it again to pick up all the clues I should have seen coming but was too mesmerized to know they were clues! An outstanding story, great acting from the entire cast and a brilliant return for David Bowie. The Prestige is a top 10 film but don't wear socks when you go see it!!
  44. TyeN.
    Oct 24, 2006
    Wickedly dark, clever, well paced, directed, written, and acted. What more could you ask for? Seriously, the best film of 2006 since V For Vendetta. Christian Bale is Oscar worthy, and so is Hugh Jackman and Michael Caine. Amazing film...please witness it for yourself.
  45. KishaG.
    Oct 25, 2006
    The way Nolan structures this film is the real magic. Multiple viewings are mandatory to see things you missed the first time and for affirmations of what you think are the facts. Delve deeper in some scenes and all is not what is seems .Some of the critics reviews complain that there is rooting interest for the audience you really don't care for either character. I totally disagree The way Nolan structures this film is the real magic. Multiple viewings are mandatory to see things you missed the first time and for affirmations of what you think are the facts. Delve deeper in some scenes and all is not what is seems .Some of the critics reviews complain that there is rooting interest for the audience you really don't care for either character. I totally disagree with that I found myself rooting for and against Angier (Jackman) and Borden (Bale ) at various times throughout . This movie is one of my favorites of the year. Expand
  46. EricR
    Oct 26, 2006
    Good evening readers, it is not every day I feel so inclined to sit down and type out a movie review, but after seeing The Prestige today I simply cannot resist the temptation to share with everyone how great of a movie this is. The film is truly a fantastic story of two men's obsession and how their obsessions come to destroy one another. It all begins with a magic trick gone Good evening readers, it is not every day I feel so inclined to sit down and type out a movie review, but after seeing The Prestige today I simply cannot resist the temptation to share with everyone how great of a movie this is. The film is truly a fantastic story of two men's obsession and how their obsessions come to destroy one another. It all begins with a magic trick gone horribly wrong and elevates into trickery and showmanship to the Nth degree. The film makes perfect use of the magician Expand
  47. NicolaeG.
    Feb 15, 2007
    Lemme Check... I love how the entire movie straight from the very begining led to the twist at the end, loved the acting and thought it was much more intrguing than The Illusionist not to mention it recieved an Oscar nod for Achievement in Art Direction and Achievement in Cinematography. I'd have to say it was MY favorite movie of 2006.
  48. ChazG.
    Feb 22, 2007
    This film has all of the elements which make a great film. An in depth description of the characters lives and contrasts are effectivly delivered. Absolutly original with a stunning reality found in the end. To all of you appreciate quality film. A great drama with a dash of science fiction. This is a must see/buy. Enjoy.
  49. PhilH.
    Apr 13, 2007
    Near-perfect performances by a near-perfect cast, a highly original and compelling story, a marvellously entertaining thriller. For its genre, one of the best ever. We are informed mid-film that Jackman is playing two roles but he does so with such skill he appears to be two different actors; when we discover at the climax that Bale has done the same, it is even more remarkable. And on Near-perfect performances by a near-perfect cast, a highly original and compelling story, a marvellously entertaining thriller. For its genre, one of the best ever. We are informed mid-film that Jackman is playing two roles but he does so with such skill he appears to be two different actors; when we discover at the climax that Bale has done the same, it is even more remarkable. And on top of all of it, the film is constantly a metaphor for itself. Bravo. Expand
  50. ObsceneM.
    May 13, 2007
    I found this flim brilliant, I'm surprised at some of the negative reviews it's recieved. Pay attention to a beginning scene where both magicians are analyzing another act: a "chinaman" whose real trick, Christian Bale's character informs, is his total devotion to his craft. This is the metaphor for the entire film and it plays out without any loose ends whatsoever. The two I found this flim brilliant, I'm surprised at some of the negative reviews it's recieved. Pay attention to a beginning scene where both magicians are analyzing another act: a "chinaman" whose real trick, Christian Bale's character informs, is his total devotion to his craft. This is the metaphor for the entire film and it plays out without any loose ends whatsoever. The two characters are mirrors of themselves at certain times in their life, which explains the confusing timeline and is also why the ending is superb and ties everything together. It isn't a "trick" ending as some people seem to think it is. I usually don't say this, but anybody that doesn't like this flim simply didn't understand it. Expand
  51. NickA.
    Jun 29, 2007
    Christopher Nolan has been on the brink of penetrating Hollywood
  52. JamesL.
    Sep 1, 2008
    I do not write this review to suggest this film is the most glorious piece of art I have ever seen, I merely write it to suggest that Ebert is a fraud. How dare he receive the "Pulitzer Prize" when a myriad of writers (many of whom write reviews on movies, music, and literature) are unquestionably more equipped than he is. He is verbal troglodyte whose negative comments cloud any I do not write this review to suggest this film is the most glorious piece of art I have ever seen, I merely write it to suggest that Ebert is a fraud. How dare he receive the "Pulitzer Prize" when a myriad of writers (many of whom write reviews on movies, music, and literature) are unquestionably more equipped than he is. He is verbal troglodyte whose negative comments cloud any semblance of fair judgment on the majority of films he reviews -- nay, anything he writes. He merely posits his myopic views (as fact) without considering that he may, if God may allow it, be foolhardy in his conclusions. Without having a degree of 'prestige' when it comes to describing the plot, characterization, and tone of the film -- Ebert manages to undermine an astronomical cache of film techniques that 'The Prestige' tastefully (yet impressively) offers with restraint -- nay -- poise. He disgusts me and should be shot, tarred, and feathered in a public arena so those who have suffered by his negligence can reap the reward of a fair trial. Ebert, please challenge me so I may show you to be the lesser of two minds and ascend to the glory of your misappropriated job. Expand
  53. BertR.
    Nov 11, 2006
    Very good, entertaining and frequently suspensful movie. Held my attention through every minute. Very good acting as usual by Bale, Jackman and Caine. Although I guessed (anticipated) some twists, the one right up to the last moment, I had not realized, until I remembered that this movie also contained "science fiction" and required further suspension of disbelief. Worth talking about afterward.
  54. Fantasy
    Nov 18, 2006
    This is the best kept secret of the year. The film is outstanding with an all star cast that feed off each other tremendously. The twists and turns keep the viewer on the edge of his seat. Don't miss this flick as it may turn out to be the most ENTERTAINING film of the year. Go see and enjoy.
  55. T.RobertH.
    Nov 19, 2006
    Directing and acting along with portraying the turn of the century scenery is first rate.
  56. PownyBrown
    Oct 15, 2006
    Very entertaining! Dark fun!
  57. Nick
    Oct 16, 2006
    A truly fantastic, involving, surprising movie -- and that surprising bit had got nothing to do with the twists at the end.... Highly recommended.
  58. JohnY.
    Oct 16, 2006
    A stunner of a film. "The Prestige" works as a cinematic magic trick that captivates with its experimental narrative structure and entertains with its strong performances and thick atmosphere. It's thrilling and fun, and it is ultimately a disturbing look at the costs of blind obsession. One the year's best films.
  59. BrianD.
    Oct 21, 2006
    If a movie can leave me still trying to figure it out and manage not to suck, Ill give it a 10.
  60. D.Smith
    Oct 21, 2006
    Understanding the "trick" is knowing what to look for. In essence, the film is another piece of "magic" weaved by Nolan. In order to understand and know, you have to watch the hand and not the object.
    Oct 22, 2006
    Christopher Nolan proves himself, once again, as a supurb director who casts only the most talented actors.
  62. PaulK.
    Oct 22, 2006
    It takes awhile to get going, but the tricked out/heady ending is a strong payoff. Initially I was confused when the credits began to roll, but after a disecting post screening conversation, it all came together. Definitely worth seeing in the theater.
  63. ArinB.
    Dec 23, 2006
    This is perhaps my favorite movie of the year. Tied with "The Fountain" and "Little Miss Sunshine."
  64. KatarinaJ.
    Dec 30, 2006
    Amazing! I loved it so much! Great acting and creative story.
  65. Elliot
    Oct 24, 2006
    [***SPOILERS***] Most critics seem to miss the fact that this movie is, in part, about differences between cloning and copying a person, and the philosophical/ethical issues raised by technological innovation. Its just as smart as Memento and says more about the nature of identity (Nolan's recurring theme) than other "emptier" mysteries like The Usual Suspects ever could.
  66. MariRocha
    Feb 19, 2007
    Clever, quick and interesting! Can't blink! Lots of surprises! Hugh Jackman is amazing as always!
  67. PaulL.
    Jul 21, 2008
    full of twist and turns this movie is a fun ride to be. Awesome rivalry between these two. Good movie too.
  68. GrantH.
    Jul 29, 2008
    A true masterpiece. its one of my favorite movies. the scores giving to it by the critics don't do it justice. the ending is the best ending to any movie I have seen.
  69. JohnP.
    Nov 18, 2006
    I went back a second time to see this one. The plot was that good. Every part of the production was very well done, from sets to the cinematography and every actor and line. I've seen most of the highly acclaimed films this year, and this is my favorite. And as for Michael Caine -- A+ as usual.
  70. Aug 23, 2010
    It took two viewings for me to fully appreciate The Prestige. I loved it the first time, but mostly because of the questions it left me with. The second time it just clicked and stirred up so many ideas and thoughts, I felt like I actually had witnessed something magical. There is so much going on in this movie, at times you lose yourself. The beauty of the film is in the intricacies ofIt took two viewings for me to fully appreciate The Prestige. I loved it the first time, but mostly because of the questions it left me with. The second time it just clicked and stirred up so many ideas and thoughts, I felt like I actually had witnessed something magical. There is so much going on in this movie, at times you lose yourself. The beauty of the film is in the intricacies of the plot. When asked at the start of the film, "Are you watching closely?" I only thought I was.

There are three parts to a magic trick. It begins with The Pledge. This establishes the illusion to be performed. Next comes the Turn. The Turn is the heart of any magic trick and initiates the perversion of reality. But actually doing the trick only prefaces undoing it. This part is called The Prestige. The title of the film is The Prestige for three reasons. The first involves rival magicians deadly pursuit of each other's Prestige. The second deals with the significance of consequence. Algiers and Borden never seem to learn they are responsible for their actions. Finally, The Prestige is aptly titled because it's about the pay off and quite literally the "undoing" of certain elements that made up the majority of the film. It is about refuting the false notions and suppositions audiences might cling to when watching.

Dueling magicians provide an intriguing stage to explore the competitive nature of man. On the surface, Algiers(Jackman) and Borden(Bale) seem well intentioned. Each wants a family, home and success as a magician. However, the basest characteristics of any type of performer are suspect in this film. Truth seems an empty word to all who speak it. Not one character in the film can be trusted. It sets up an interesting predicament as a viewer used to bonding with a usual protagonist. These characters endure countless pains and just when you start to care, they get back up and cause even more pain. The beautiful, horrible cycle within The Prestige reminds me of Nolan's Memento. Vengeance can be seductive; so much so, that the things each character thought they wanted become irrelevant.

Director, Christopher Nolan, dissects the boundaries man claims to put on himself. How far are we willing to go for success? Are we willing to get our hands dirty? What are we willing to sacrifice? The answers to these questions for Borden and Algiers are played out during the film, but they resonate past the narrative. Morality can't be part of a magician's repertoire because risk and death are essential to winning an audience. Nolan re-imagines death in this film. It is likened to the limits of human will. The "undoing" of death, or Prestige, comes at a high price. Our capacity to harm or love ourselves and others is unrestrained. Life is The Pledge, death is The Turn and then comes The Prestige.
  71. Sep 6, 2010
    This movie had me interested at the start. Watching them perform these magic tricks were astounding. The story about the bitter rivalry doesn't get points for originality, but it gets points because Jackman's and Bale's characters bring it to lengths that make you interested. it has quite a bit of funny moments, dramatic moments, suspenseful moments, and any other kind of moments. I keptThis movie had me interested at the start. Watching them perform these magic tricks were astounding. The story about the bitter rivalry doesn't get points for originality, but it gets points because Jackman's and Bale's characters bring it to lengths that make you interested. it has quite a bit of funny moments, dramatic moments, suspenseful moments, and any other kind of moments. I kept my eyes glued to the screen from start to finish. It says on the cover: "You want to see it again the second it's over" and that is true. Expand
  72. Dec 29, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I loved the twist in this movie, it's one where you are stunned and unsure what to think. I loved the actors and the magic tricks. It had a great plot, and my family loves it. Although I was rather disappointed the brother had to die. Expand
  73. Jul 31, 2011
  74. Jan 31, 2011
    This movie packs a surprising punch at the end! You don't wanna miss out on any opportunity to watch this movie, pay close attention if you even want to seem semi smart to your friends! I assure you it will confuse, and baffle you with powerful plot twists and turns! The last twist... you will never see coming! First time watchers prepare to be confused! Multiple watchers have a step up inThis movie packs a surprising punch at the end! You don't wanna miss out on any opportunity to watch this movie, pay close attention if you even want to seem semi smart to your friends! I assure you it will confuse, and baffle you with powerful plot twists and turns! The last twist... you will never see coming! First time watchers prepare to be confused! Multiple watchers have a step up in knowing what is going on in this wonderful thriller THE PRESTIGE Expand
  75. Feb 21, 2011
    I know some won't agree with me here, but, easily one of Christopher Nolan's best films. The script is impeccable, the editing is damn near perfect, and the cinematography is just what we come to expect from Wally Pfister, the best. A terrific film and a great bridge between Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. Christopher Nolan hones his craft with every film he makes.
  76. Mar 4, 2011
    "Are you watching closely?"

Set In the 19th century, this film tells the tale of three friends. Robert Angier (Hugh Jackman), his wife Julia and Alfred Borden (Christian Bale) are assistants to a magician. When a water tank trick goes horribly wrong, Robert and Alfred become bitter rivals in the magic industry, trying anything to ruin each others illusions. With one of the best cast line
    "Are you watching closely?"

With one of the best cast line ups in recent years, thereâ
  77. Apr 7, 2011
    Christopher Nolan never seizes to impress me, the magicians have nothing on this mans mind! I thought that the film was very good, I am a big fan of christian bale anyway so the fact that he was in this film was a must watch for me.
    The narrative showed that bitterness and rivalry ultimately gets you nowhere in the end.throughout the film i felt that hugh jackmans character was the more charming and innocent out of the two of them however as the plot began to unravel at the end i did feel deep sympathy for christian bales character. that soon goes away though when the twist is revieled. which is a amazing twist non the less of all his other twists and turns in all his other films.
    I recommend this film 10/10
  78. Sep 24, 2012
    I think it's worth pointing out that this film is rather more intelligent than complicated. It showed this by hooking you in via the first few minutes with the scenario and then explaining in depth about it from different perspectives. That's one of the first films I've ever seen do that and it remained intriguing throughout - and the end! That was probably the best ending I've ever seen!I think it's worth pointing out that this film is rather more intelligent than complicated. It showed this by hooking you in via the first few minutes with the scenario and then explaining in depth about it from different perspectives. That's one of the first films I've ever seen do that and it remained intriguing throughout - and the end! That was probably the best ending I've ever seen! There was no loose ends, but with what the film gave you, it left you awe-inspired and shocked - who was who and what really went on? I was fascinated by the psychological aspects - it helped unearth more of the more disturbing characteristics of humanity - obsession and revenge. When you look at it, the magician's theme reflected these secrecies and psychological tricks that were employed. The actors were amazing - I didn't think Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale would star in a film together, but who cares, they were a perfect pair! It's just like Batman versus Wolverine but with magic. Despite that, the science alongside magic was a bit interfering as I was still more interested in finding out the surprise over surprise that continued to entertain me. Try not to big it up too much, Mr Nolan, you're brilliant at directing, but just try not to make it appear too big before it becomes a confusing, bloated mess. Expand
  79. Jan 28, 2013
    The Prestige is a simple example of what Christopher Nolan is capable of outside of his Batman universe.
    It's brilliant, sometimes brutal, throughly thought-provoking but most of all, vastly entertaining.
    We see two egotistical and **** amateur magicians, Robert Angier (Hugh Jackman) and Alfred Borden (Christian Bale) attempting to make their way in 19th Century London. Overseeing them
    Overseeing them is their mentor and stage engineer, John Cutter (Michael Caine), acting as a mentor and father to the aspiring masters.
    Much like Memento, The Prestige is told in a completely non-linear fashion, while off-putting to some, Nolan used this technique to create a wonderfully emotional yet tragic story as to how these magicians started as friends, but became mortal enemies.
    What is most intriguing about this story is one mans mission to outdo the other by any means necessary, and the others attempt at being too proud to reveal his desires or mistakes, some fatal.
    We see quite a timeframe in this film also, chronicling the lives of these two individuals, with a superb performances from both lead actors, and great performances from Scarlett Johansson and Rebecca Hall.
    The two smaller roles in the film but well acted and significant are that of David Bowie and Andy Serkis.
    Bowie plays Nikolay Tesla, an inventor, he possesses a very vague but interesting persona that only Bowie could have portrayed. Serkis plays Tesla;s assistant, Mr Alley.
    The screen chemistry between Jackman and Bale is a privilege to watch, these to wonderful actors really engross themselves in their roles, we feel their pain, we laugh when they laugh, they fit together quite brilliantly through their excellent presence onscreen and through Nolan's sharp direction.
    With some truly remarkable set pieces, its hard not too love magicians. Something so simple as making a ball disappear seems legendary when Christian Bale does it, he conveys his emotion into every scene and deserves the recognition he deserves.
    With a wonderfully twisted and jaw-dropping final act, or 'prestige', this film cements itself not only as a film by Christopher Nolan, but a film bursting so much with charisma and gritty realism of the supernatural, its difficult to find faults with such a remarkable piece of cinema. One thing is for sure, you should be watching closely...
  80. Jan 23, 2012
    If you liked the Illusionist, you'll absolutely love this! Christopher Nolan is probably one of the greatest film writers of all time. He can make a simple story into a complete plot-twister of a film. I have loved all his movies and I'm not sure if he will make a bad one. They have gotten better every time.
  81. Mar 20, 2012
    Brilliantly executed story and the acting is above superb. I had no doubt with the cast line up that the acting would be anything less than well, magical. This truly is the best film I've seen since Inception and I truly wonder why I have not heard more people going on about this film. Could it be too complicated for most audiences? I really hope that is not the case because the film isBrilliantly executed story and the acting is above superb. I had no doubt with the cast line up that the acting would be anything less than well, magical. This truly is the best film I've seen since Inception and I truly wonder why I have not heard more people going on about this film. Could it be too complicated for most audiences? I really hope that is not the case because the film is too extraordinarily awesome to go unseen. The only reason I didn't rate the film a 10 out of 10 is due to the complicated nature of the film. If it had been easier to understand, like Inception, which isn't all that easy, I would have given it that 10. At the same time, if the film was any simpler I don't know if it would be as mind blowing as it is. Thank you Mr. Nolan for another original and unusually fantastic ride! For my full review, visit http://visuallyimpairedreviews.blogspot.com/2012/03/prestige.html Expand
  82. Jul 1, 2012
    The Prestige explores the drive behind obession, the allure of magic tricks, and much more. A film that is perfectly balanced and wonderfully executed. The dark theme of the movie only helps to deliver the message and convey every amazing little detail. This is why I love Christopher Nolan.
  83. Jul 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This one of my favorite movies. Of course the illusion gives the movie did very well. Every dialogue of the movie is fabulous and so real................................................. Expand
  84. Nov 4, 2012
    A special movie. At first, the intricacies of the plot are hard to follow and the performances difficult to fully be appreciated. That being said, it gets better after every viewing. I honestly look forward to the next time I see it having just seen it for the third time.
  85. Aug 16, 2014
    If you haven't, you ABSOLUTELY SHOULD watch the movie "the prestige" with Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman. I am absolutely in love with Christian Bale AND Christopher Nolan. Christopher Nolan, in my opinion, makes THE BEST movies EVER and Christian Bale is the greatest actor today. Yes, there are lots of great directors and actors, but they can't make EVERY SINGLE ONE of their movies SOIf you haven't, you ABSOLUTELY SHOULD watch the movie "the prestige" with Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman. I am absolutely in love with Christian Bale AND Christopher Nolan. Christopher Nolan, in my opinion, makes THE BEST movies EVER and Christian Bale is the greatest actor today. Yes, there are lots of great directors and actors, but they can't make EVERY SINGLE ONE of their movies SO GREAT. Except for Quentin Tarantino.... He and Nolan are the best. But if Quentin makes fun movies that are not always serious, then Nolan makes the best thrilers! I can't forget his The Dark Knight series, Memento, and now, The Prestige. You absolutely should watch The Prestige. Expand
  86. Jan 29, 2013
    Interesting a memorable characters, perfectly cast, great art direction and costuming, this movie has everything to make it not only the closest I've ever seen to a film capturing the essence of a novel, but the closest I've seen to a perfectly layered and written film. Beautiful stuff.
  87. Feb 4, 2013
    Amazing movie, mind blowing. Christopher Nolan, you have done it again! Nolan is best known for his twist endings, and the ending of this one was his best. Bonus points for using Scarlett Johansson.
  88. Jun 19, 2013
    Easily one of the best movies about magic. Christopher Nolan shoots every piece of this movie perfectly and many of the twists you don't see coming at all.
  89. Jun 11, 2013
    This is my favorite movie of all time, and probably always will be. For many years before I saw this movie, I was unsure of my "favorite" movie, there was always 5 in a mix of movies I would mention. I can't count how many times I've watched this movie, even knowing how it ends, it still tickles me just right. Nolan is a genious. Caine, Bale & Jackman are at their best here.
  90. Jun 10, 2013
    Probably one of the best films ever made. I want to watch it again and again. Nolan's films are the best. This is a three time must-see. Don't understand the critics but the end and the whole film are extremely outstanding and marvellous. Bravo
  91. Oct 18, 2013
    Awesome movie i ever seen in life...chris nolan is the best and my fav director...
    i think this movie made, cause the director is chris nolan...
    the cast, the plot, the twists..wonderful! genius..i'm speechless right now...
  92. Mar 6, 2014
    I love it this film. The film tells the rivalry between two wizards that they start being friends and the and as the rivalry between the two ends up destroying their lives. the film has an impressive and surprising end. See a film second time, we can appreciate more details.
  93. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    The Prestige was quite interesting with all the magic tricks that are impossible to pull off contained in it, and the acting was magnificent as well as the story.
  94. May 22, 2014
    Oh my god this film. I don't know how to describe it: if you have a working brain, watch it. That's amazing. Mr. Nolan confirms another time that sometimes you NEED something different from random exploding cars and bullets everywhere. The first time i saw it, at the last minutes, i wasreally confused and i thought "yes, that's a good movie, but it's too complicated. And obviously i'mOh my god this film. I don't know how to describe it: if you have a working brain, watch it. That's amazing. Mr. Nolan confirms another time that sometimes you NEED something different from random exploding cars and bullets everywhere. The first time i saw it, at the last minutes, i wasreally confused and i thought "yes, that's a good movie, but it's too complicated. And obviously i'm going to see an ending like 'it was only a dream' or something like that". But the ending was one of the best moment of my life. In a second I understood everything and i felt a feeling like "oh my god i can't believe that just happened oh my god". Now stop reading reviews on metacritic, just see that film. Expand
  95. Nov 9, 2014
  96. Feb 17, 2015
    Before the successful of their big blockbusters, the Nolan's siblings explore the world of stage magicians by summarising the magic performances into three parts - the pledge, the turn and the prestige, which the movie further develops based on the structures although it starts off slowly with its own unique beginning. It seems that in most Nolan's film, the ending scene always appears atBefore the successful of their big blockbusters, the Nolan's siblings explore the world of stage magicians by summarising the magic performances into three parts - the pledge, the turn and the prestige, which the movie further develops based on the structures although it starts off slowly with its own unique beginning. It seems that in most Nolan's film, the ending scene always appears at the opening but his narrative style however manages to make audiences to forget that regardless on the complexity of the content he tries to confuse us, it is actually a straightforward plot with the key answers already revealed indirectly at the first scene. The performances of Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman are extremely outstanding, thanks to the character developments that allow them to be both the antagonist and protagonist at the same time due to their eagerness for glory that they have eroded not only the morality of this magical great art, but to sacrifice their own lives and the one they love. The duality is a brilliant central concept of the film extracted in two different ways on both leads, it never stops engaging but to challenge the mindset of the viewers with several dark twisted plots and ambiguity. Although with a bit of weaker scores (due to no Hans Zimmer), Nolan's smart piece of magical art is interesting to stress that the trick of victory comes only when a person overlook and think that he has already won the rival. Expand
  97. Jan 2, 2015
    The screenplay suits the well chosen actors, the atmosphere gets one's imagination attracted to a different time & place, visuals are all satisfying. Mind tricks all across as an additional flavour for the mind.

1. Audiences might enjoy this cinematic sleight of hand, but the key characters are such single-minded, calculating individuals that the real magic would be to find any heart in this tale.
  2. Reviewed by: Dennis Harvey
    Clearly, director Nolan is aiming for something else. But the delight in sheer gamesmanship that marked his breakout "Memento" doesn't survive this project's gimmickry and aspirations toward "Les Miserables"-style epic passion.
  3. Reviewed by: Scott Foundas
    The result is a lopsided yet absorbing movie in which the director is less drawn to his main characters than to those on the periphery.