The Prestige

8.9

1. Jan 12, 2011
    what a movie! omg! no doubt, Chris Nolan is one of the best in the game! the cast, the plot, the twists..wonderful! genius..i'm speechless right now,i..i..i was blown away...vuf..100 out of 10! 100!!!!!
  2. Dec 12, 2013
    The Prestige is a complex maze filled with countless twists and turns. Fortunately, the entire crew masterfully guides us away from all its dead ends through its great storyline, deep characters and immersive acting to get into its satisfying conclusion.
  3. Jan 2, 2011
    Easily one of the best movies of this (last) decade. The actors were wonderful (Bale never disappoints, and Hugh has a natural charm that can't be beaten), the story was fantastic, the length was just perfect, and everything else was flat out amazing.

I recommend this movie to anyone with a love for great film.
  4. Sep 4, 2012
    This is Christopher Nolan at his best. The ending provides a bigger twist than even Momento, and it is an enjoyable watch the entire time. The perspective is interesting because it is either in a variety of intricate ways. Great story, great acting, and great directing; all around an amazing film.
  5. Dec 30, 2013
    "The audience loves to be fooled". The first time I watched the Prestige I indeed was fooled, but if you take the time to watch it again and really follow closely then you will be greatly rewarded, as I believe this is one of the most intelligent films ever created.
  6. BR
    Oct 20, 2006
    It's funny, as it seems almost all the critics take pride in themselves for pointing out that the film may be too complicated for its own good. Well I say it's about time, here we are complaining about other movies all year for not having a lick of intelligence and then Nolan's 'The Prestige' comes out to answer the calls and now it's too much? This, ladies It's funny, as it seems almost all the critics take pride in themselves for pointing out that the film may be too complicated for its own good. Well I say it's about time, here we are complaining about other movies all year for not having a lick of intelligence and then Nolan's 'The Prestige' comes out to answer the calls and now it's too much? This, ladies and gentlemen, is the film we have all be waiting for! BRAVO Mr. Nolan, your dark and beautiful tale of two obsessed magicians falls into my book as one of the best films this year. Sure to be remembered years from now. Cheers. Expand
  7. BillyM.
    May 20, 2008
    These critics are full of it! This movie has one of the best endings I have ever seen. I recently took a 12 hour flight in which "The Prestige" was showing and didn't even want to get off the plane when we landed just so I could see the ending!
  8. R.L.
    Mar 16, 2009
    There are three acts to a magicians show. The first is called the pledge: the magician shows the audience something normal, but in reality it's not. The second act is called the turn: The Magician makes the ordinary something do something incredible.The third act is called The Prestige, and that is what this exceptional film is about. The Prestige stars Hugh Jackman and Christian There are three acts to a magicians show. The first is called the pledge: the magician shows the audience something normal, but in reality it's not. The second act is called the turn: The Magician makes the ordinary something do something incredible.The third act is called The Prestige, and that is what this exceptional film is about. The Prestige stars Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale as Robert Angier and Alfred Borden, they were best friends and partners until one night one of there biggest tricks went horribly wrong and cost them a valued member of the act.The two friends are now the bitterest of rivals; trying to out do each other to see who's the better magician. As the rivalry escalates into a full blow obsession, the two magicians start to make and preform more and more dangerous tricks. But all is not what it seems. The Prestige directed by Christopher Nolan and based on the novel by Christopher Priest is the second movie made to explore the depths of stage magic, and it is by far the best one, The Prestige is a dark and sinister psychological thriller that will boggle your mind and keep you coming back for even more.You'll want to see it again the minute it's over, it's that good, this film explores the depths of what revenge and obsession does to a man, what it does to a person and what it can do to your life. We see that on Angier's part that it has turned him into a monster,a man who would kill to be the best, Borden on the other hands has not been affected to much, by this we can that this rivalry doesn't extend all the way into Alfred's life as it does Robert's. Obsession and revenge is a thing that most people live for and thrive on everyday of there lives. We see that here with Robert, he won't stop until he's destroyed Alfred's life, that's revenge. Angier will also stop at nothing until he learns all of Borden's secret's, that's obsession. put those two together and you've got a movie you can't afford the miss. Also watch closely because nothing is what it seems. Expand
  9. Feb 21, 2011
    I know some won't agree with me here, but, easily one of Christopher Nolan's best films. The script is impeccable, the editing is damn near perfect, and the cinematography is just what we come to expect from Wally Pfister, the best. A terrific film and a great bridge between Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. Christopher Nolan hones his craft with every film he makes.
  10. Mar 6, 2016
    It's one movie critics got dead wrong. Jackman and Bale are great leads and have a fantastic game of One upping through out the film, Each man always trying to gain the upper hand over the other. And through out the film it just keeps escalating until the climax and it's so wonderfully done. The build up really pays off and it proves that Nolan isn't just a one trick pony. My favoriteIt's one movie critics got dead wrong. Jackman and Bale are great leads and have a fantastic game of One upping through out the film, Each man always trying to gain the upper hand over the other. And through out the film it just keeps escalating until the climax and it's so wonderfully done. The build up really pays off and it proves that Nolan isn't just a one trick pony. My favorite thing about the film? David Bowie as Tesla. He did such an amazing job and totally out shined everyone he shared the screen with with his performance. Expand
  11. Mar 13, 2014
    Really good film. Did not understand but that was certainly the point; to blur the line between illusion and reality. In thst way, the film is a huge magic trick as it leaves you wondering how they just pulled off what they pulled off and what reality actually is. In that way, this film is a major accomplishment. Nolan is really on the top of his game here. Bale and Jackman were also greatReally good film. Did not understand but that was certainly the point; to blur the line between illusion and reality. In thst way, the film is a huge magic trick as it leaves you wondering how they just pulled off what they pulled off and what reality actually is. In that way, this film is a major accomplishment. Nolan is really on the top of his game here. Bale and Jackman were also great leads and while they were not in a ton of scenes together, they were undoubtedly dominated the screen. Another major plus was the costume design and the sets. As a period piece, they did a great job establishing the feel of the era. I also liked the undercurrent of rivalry in everything in the film. It was a really nice touch.

Main complaint is that it was very hard to follow since it jumped around a lot. This was a huge problem in the beginning, but by the end, more things made sense. But, the editing bothered me a lot as scenes seemed to be a mishmash with little care put towards continuity and flow.
  12. Dec 25, 2013
    This movie is awesome. It has a great cast, set with a great plot in one of the best time periods for magicians. The whole time you're wondering things like "how does he do it". He doesn't tell you until the end. The ending can be a bit confusing at first, but it does go back a bit so you can understand it. It's more complicated than some of the stuff in Inception, but the film is stillThis movie is awesome. It has a great cast, set with a great plot in one of the best time periods for magicians. The whole time you're wondering things like "how does he do it". He doesn't tell you until the end. The ending can be a bit confusing at first, but it does go back a bit so you can understand it. It's more complicated than some of the stuff in Inception, but the film is still good nevertheless. Expand
  13. Jan 15, 2014
    Good and exciting, original and dark. Loved every moment. Amazingly satisfying ending. The complaints of it being too complicated are unjust, if u can't keep up with the plot i think it's mostly your fault and not the movie's because all the large plot twists had many clues that foreshadowed them throughout the movie.
  14. Mar 31, 2014
    The viewer is allowed to question and ponder throughout The Prestige, but Nolan doesn't undermine the audience when he gives them the oppourtunity to know the answer from the beginning. A perfect equilibrium in mystery storytelling. The acting may not be at its best, but it is saved by the charm and faults of both lead roles and Michael Caine takes the torch of guide and accomplice withThe viewer is allowed to question and ponder throughout The Prestige, but Nolan doesn't undermine the audience when he gives them the oppourtunity to know the answer from the beginning. A perfect equilibrium in mystery storytelling. The acting may not be at its best, but it is saved by the charm and faults of both lead roles and Michael Caine takes the torch of guide and accomplice with undaunted and unstated pride. If it were not for a vapid 'Love B' story, this film could be argued to be the best of 2006. This is and will be Nolan's 'grows on you' film. Expand
  15. Jul 23, 2015
    There's a trick in this movie itself. It keeps you thinking that they wen't over the top, but really its what you completely expect. Are you watching closely? This movie definitely gives you a good climax and a great twist in the end.
  16. Jan 21, 2011
    Great acting by Bale, Jackman, and Johansson even though it lacked the support from the other actors to give it a good acting grade. However, Nolan decides to put yet another new idea on the board just to simply add to his already prestigious resume.
  17. Jan 19, 2012
    Easily one of the best movies i've ever watched. Very enrapturing and its got everything in it from drama, suspense, romance and outstanding performances. I've seen this movie numerous times and each time enjoy it! Definitely a must watch for movie lovers!
  18. Jun 14, 2013
    Brilliant. Breathtaking. Epic.
    Loved everything in the movie.. the plot, the characters and the cast, the direction, and the soundtrack !

One of my all-time top 10 movies
  19. theiboygenius
    Oct 27, 2006
    To some of those who do not like The Prestige probably because they couldn
  20. JasonH.
    Oct 30, 2006
    The Prestige is a wonderful, mind-bending movie full of twists and turns and human faults and obessions. I love Nolan movies because they are always so twisting and turning and leave the audience never fully knowing what is going on when and where. I love the suspense of being challenged by a movie to figure out how the past and present scenes tangle together and fit just right. If you The Prestige is a wonderful, mind-bending movie full of twists and turns and human faults and obessions. I love Nolan movies because they are always so twisting and turning and leave the audience never fully knowing what is going on when and where. I love the suspense of being challenged by a movie to figure out how the past and present scenes tangle together and fit just right. If you want an intellectually challenging movie, then The Prestige is for YOU! Expand
  21. Conor
    Jan 10, 2007
    As absorbing as it is abstruse, and all the better for it. In a cinema-world dominated by linear narratives, gross-out humour and feel-good animation, this is an intricate masterpiece of subtlety and surreality. The kind of movie that is experienced rather than watched, that maintains a commanding hold over the viewer rather than passively baring all in simplistic fashion. Couple this As absorbing as it is abstruse, and all the better for it. In a cinema-world dominated by linear narratives, gross-out humour and feel-good animation, this is an intricate masterpiece of subtlety and surreality. The kind of movie that is experienced rather than watched, that maintains a commanding hold over the viewer rather than passively baring all in simplistic fashion. Couple this with an all-star cast that would have turned the worst script into good theatre, and we have one of the best movies of 2006. Expand
  22. WillHack
    Jul 2, 2008
    Keeps you guessing the whole way.
  23. JoeM.
    Oct 21, 2006
    Don't believe the San Francisco Chronicle review. They are always OFF !!! I think they don't want you to see all the great movies. This movie was great from beginning to end.
  24. RobbieM.
    Oct 20, 2006
    I thought it was amazing, my heart was pounding throughout.
  25. Wongit
    Oct 22, 2006
    Astonishing, very interesting has you hooked throught most of the movie, for me at least. Bale is a great actor as is Jackman and Johanson is as beautiful as ever. Great movie.
  26. Ryan
    Oct 23, 2006
    Great movie, keeps your brain thinking and working!
  27. JoshS.
    Oct 23, 2006
    An excellent and engaging film. Brilliant acting all around and wonderful direction by Nolan. It's also one of the darkest movies I've seen in a long time.
  28. RonG
    Oct 26, 2006
    Loved it, loved it, loved it! Nolan does it again and Bale and Jackman were amazing.
  29. BradG
    Oct 28, 2006
    It was the best movie I've seen this year. I love good films, and this movie proves once again that many critics will bash a beautiful, thrilling film simply becasue it wasn't made on a shoestring budget by an obscure director. I'd love to back up that claim, but any in-depth discussion would ruin this film's flawless mechanics and twists. Go see it, it's one of It was the best movie I've seen this year. I love good films, and this movie proves once again that many critics will bash a beautiful, thrilling film simply becasue it wasn't made on a shoestring budget by an obscure director. I'd love to back up that claim, but any in-depth discussion would ruin this film's flawless mechanics and twists. Go see it, it's one of the few movies worth the 10 dollars we have to fork out for a flick these days. Expand
  30. George
    Oct 30, 2006
    Excellent movie. Great story and acting, it feels a little long at points, but doesn't take away from the enjoyment.

1. Audiences might enjoy this cinematic sleight of hand, but the key characters are such single-minded, calculating individuals that the real magic would be to find any heart in this tale.
  2. Reviewed by: Dennis Harvey
    Clearly, director Nolan is aiming for something else. But the delight in sheer gamesmanship that marked his breakout "Memento" doesn't survive this project's gimmickry and aspirations toward "Les Miserables"-style epic passion.
    The result is a lopsided yet absorbing movie in which the director is less drawn to his main characters than to those on the periphery.