8.5

1. clay
    Jan 25, 2007
    It's worth a watch, it's fun, but isn't 10 material at all. Many scenes are cheesy without anything to resolve it. the wine/poison scene was great though.
  2. Del
    Feb 16, 2007
    You'll either love it or hate it. Although slow, it's worth watching once. Mandy Patinkin brings a lot to the "action party," though Elwes seems to throw it away. It seems that Reiner was trying far to hard to add romance, action, and anything else you can think of. I feel this was the downfall. Was it a romantic/action/mushy slow train, or brilliant? You watch it!
  3. Oct 12, 2015
    I was completely unaware of this film until recently, when I heard it mentioned a couple of times as being a really great fantasy adventure -- so I gave it a watch. Unfortunately I felt pretty disappointed by it; given the hype, I was surprised by how weak it was in several key areas. The fantasy setting lacks a feeling of substance, and is just generally nondescript. This is not helped byI was completely unaware of this film until recently, when I heard it mentioned a couple of times as being a really great fantasy adventure -- so I gave it a watch. Unfortunately I felt pretty disappointed by it; given the hype, I was surprised by how weak it was in several key areas. The fantasy setting lacks a feeling of substance, and is just generally nondescript. This is not helped by the visual execution; the sets, visual effects and cinematography are bland and amateurish. The story itself is very by the numbers, and lacks momentum and emotional resonance. There's a framing device with a grandfather reading the story to his son, and while it was one of the better executed aspects of the film, I couldn't really see what it added. The characters are also generally rather clichéd -- the villains especially, and also the romantic duo, who lack any spark. Most of the acting is also uninspired or poor, the main exceptions being the main hero, who is played with an eccentric unflappability, and a vengeful swordsman, who has a sort of portentous magnetism. The interplay between these two near the start of the film was a high point, with good choreography and memorable dialogue. There are a good number of similarly memorable and witty lines throughout the film. This is the film's saving grace, and the main reason that I'm not giving it a bad score. But equally, that one aspect on its own can't make up for the film's many deficits. In conclusion, I can see how the film's quotability could make it entertaining for repeat viewings of a devoted fanbase, and how the cheesiness and clichés could be endearing. But personally I found that the cheesiness felt more like poor workmanship, and the clichés weren't self-aware or entertaining, but the result of blandness. Expand
  4. Jan 7, 2013
    Ugh an unfunny interpretation of a kids ale. Just because characters run around and say cheesy lines doesn't mean it's funny. This is beyond campy it's just bad.

1. A percolating comedy. The laughs may not tear your belly up, but they're constant and they dovetail with the story.
  2. Chicago Tribune
    Reviewed by: Dave Kehr
    The Princess Bride wants to be sweet and warm, but it doesn't want to take the chance of seeming uncool -- and that is an attitude far, far removed from innocence. [9 Oct 1987]
  3. Not even the crude ethnic humor--Billy Crystal's Mel Brooks-ish Miracle Max--pricks the dream bubble, and the spirited cast has a field day.