8.8

1. Aug 26, 2010
    This movie is soo amazing! I **** love it.
    It's in the top in my list of favorites movies, and I think that is one of the best movies of all times.
    I saw it like 64165465643 times haha and it always surprise me
  2. May 2, 2011
    Just finished watching this movie a few minutes ago. An unbelievable rollercoaster ride that had me hooked from the very start. The only bad things I can think of are the musical choices and Jean Reno's heavy French accent throughout. Gary Oldman is actually scary as a drug addicted DEA officer (catch the joke?). Some parts were very slow, but it IS meant to be more dramatic than action packed.
  3. Jun 24, 2011
    Three great actors playing excellently. A very well done movie that is about much more than killing people as a profession. It's well directed and well told. Simply amazing.
  4. Nov 23, 2013
    An absolute legend of a movie, extremely well acted, and thoroughly played/ thought out well.
    This movie is in a class of it's own, a high one at that, i do not want to mention too much as i would spoil the film, but this is a must watch!
    10/10, awesome film.
  5. Jul 20, 2013
    Look, I don't consider myself to be a huge Natalie Portman fan, but geez, when this girl touches my heart, she touches my heart. This movie is just... it's one of those films. It's beautifully shot, sometimes you'll forget you aren't in Paris aside the backdrop of Leon's grim reality. The script is fantastic, see: every interaction between Reno and Portman. It's a heartwarming story. A story of healing, of daughters, fathers, innocence lost, but a hope that never fades out. It's a story of brutal honesty, yet a quiet optimism always shines through. It captivated me on so many levels... I don't know. I was deeply affected. It's a worthwhile investment, and it's definitely "buy it" quality. A film I'll never forget and one that I can't wait to revisit once my batteries recharge. It's no walk in the park, but damn is it still a beautiful ride. Expand
  6. Jun 6, 2012
    I loved this movie before I even watched it. Leon is French-produced, meaning you wont see any of Hollywood's cliches. Leon's not some undefeatable 6th sensed assassin .Instead he is human with emotions who cares for the world he lives in, he just has an immoral "profession". You can understand his decisions and begin to care for him and the girl. I even started caring for the plant Leon keeps. His relationship with the girl also really grows on you. Collapse
  7. Jan 22, 2011
    A great movie, with a very unique chemistry to it. Portman, Reno, and Oldman hold the film to a greatness, while the action glorifies it. Yes, there is touchy subject matter, but it is held well. See the international uncut version for a wonderfully wild ride. (Bonus points to the Transformers fans)
  8. May 13, 2011
    This movie just. has. it.
    The story is inspiring and its awkwardness is fantastic, there are no holes there: it's entertaining from beginning to end. The actors are wonderful, Jean Reno did his part very well and 12-year old Natalie Portman is amazing. Gary Oldman was fabulous. I could scream EVEEERYYYYOOONNNE!!!!!!! all day! (but never the way HE does). Even secondary characters were very
    well played. The end was royal: a mix of action and emotion is masterly delivered with a nice song to close the epilogue.
    In conclusion, this movie is definitively a must-see. It's the only great movie that wasn't even nominated for Oscars.
  9. Jan 8, 2011
    Despite being an action movie, really the film is about the difficulties of how to deal with a little kid that falls in love with you. Moreover, the movie encourages to enjoy life and suggests that revenge does not help but only makes a situation worse. Great acting.
  10. Jun 9, 2012
    There are a few different ways to see Leon (or Leon: The Professional or The Professional, whichever). The first is as an action movie, complete with tense and exciting thrills. You can also see it as a sweet movie in which two lonely people walk into and enhance the life of the other. The best way to view it, however, is as a combination of the two. Leon shows that a movie doesn't need to sacrifice emotion and sincerity in the name of action or cut down on violence for the sake of drama. Leon wants to be two things and succeeds admirably. Expand
  11. Mar 26, 2012
    Hats off to Luc Besson for taking such a brave concept and absolutely nailing it. The Professional is one of the best films of the 90's, and trumps all but the best of today's thrillers. There's a really perfect balance between action sequences and slower-paced, dialogue driven scenes. The interaction between the confident Portman and soft-spoken Reno is quite beautiful, and kept me hooked even as the film slowed in pace towards the mid-way point. However, it's Gary Oldman who steals the show as the psychotic DEA agent, which is no small feat given Reno and Portman's solid performances. I don't think there can be any denying his performance was a inspiration for Heath Ledger's portrayal of the Joker - sometimes humorous, usually clever, and always tinged with a little insanity.
    The Professional truly is a gem - I just hope people can look past the mediocre critic reviews and form their own opinion.
  12. Jan 5, 2013
    This movie is highly regarded, but I can not see anything to justify it. There are plenty of better movies that you can waste an hour with, many that are bad but they at least fit their roles. This movie is just a misfit that doesn't easily hold one's attention. There must be something I'm missing, like a popular release or good actors or something, but its just not very appealing.
  13. Apr 30, 2013
    The Professional, or as I know it Leon is my favourite film. It has everything I ever want in a film. It has action, comedy, drama and romance. It simply thrilling to watch. The film is visually spectacular, with a range of location and set shots proving that Luc Besson truly wanted us to dive into New York's Little Italy. Obviously the acting is perfect from all members of the cast and Natalie Portman breaks into Cinema with the role of Mathilda. She takes her performance to the next level proving that even at the age of 10 she takes acting seriously. Expand
  14. Apr 2, 2013
    The movie is great in everything, Gary oldman makes a perfect role and Jean Reno is amazing, Luc besson makes a great movie, the trama is perfect and the ending is a lot of reflection someone make happy a bad person.
  15. Dec 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. first of all it is a Great movie With Great Directing an all, but nobody ever thought about Natalie Portman's Acting it was her first time in front of the cameras but she NAILED It Expand
  16. Mar 6, 2014
    Though too much on vengeance and parenting for my taste, 'Leon' has an amiable cast such as the awkward Leon, the youngster Matilda, and Norman Stansfield, whose brief time on screen is one of cinema;s most eccentric and corrupt villains of all time. Luc Besson has his own style of film to bring on the screen.
  17. Nov 28, 2013
    Killer thriller on par with any "assassin" genre French, English, Chinese whatever. Jean Reno is incredible. Gary Oldman is riveting. Natalie Portman is captivating. This is Luc Besson's best film, by far. Even better than 5th Element (and I love that one). And ignore the low raters obviously, brain dead or just dead. If you aren't spellbound by the end of the first act stop watching film and go directly to the hospital to have your heart restarted. Expand
  18. Dec 2, 2013
    Great action sequences, great acting, a simple, solid plot. This is one you never forget. I don't have to say much more but metacritic insists is have at least 150 characters.

Oldman is the least inhibited actor of his generation, and as this deranged detective, he keeps absolutely nothing in reserve.
    Besson's visuals are, as always, vibrant and decidedly European. He fills the frames with odd-angled shots and alarming riots of color that catch you off-balance.
  3. The sheer oddness of the New York world constructed for this film--where cops and crooks are literally interchangeable, and Oldman and Danny Aiello are stranded in roles that pick over the leavings of earlier parts--ultimately seems at once too deranged and too mechanical.