Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures | Release Date: June 19, 2009
6.7
Generally favorable reviews based on 169 Ratings
WATCH NOW
Check box if your review contains spoilers 0 characteres (5000 max)
KSNYDZFeb 6, 2016
This movie is very funny and enjoyable to watch. The cast plays off each other wonderfully and Ryan Reynolds, Sandra Bullock, and Betty White are hilarious. The script is wonderfully written.The soundtrack to this movie is fun and makes theThis movie is very funny and enjoyable to watch. The cast plays off each other wonderfully and Ryan Reynolds, Sandra Bullock, and Betty White are hilarious. The script is wonderfully written.The soundtrack to this movie is fun and makes the movie even better. It is a movie I can watch again and again and I highly recommend others to watch it. Expand
BarneyOnMTJan 5, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: It's rare for this type of film to have a genuinely fresh tone and plot, but 'The Proposal' surely does. It's a gripping tale that leans towards some desperately funny comedy between it's 2 main characters who are well devisedWHAT I LIKED: It's rare for this type of film to have a genuinely fresh tone and plot, but 'The Proposal' surely does. It's a gripping tale that leans towards some desperately funny comedy between it's 2 main characters who are well devised and acted excellently
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: Strip it down and the script is fairly standard and formulaic, leaning too heavily on it's 2 main cast members
VERDICT: A fun and rich film thanks mainly to it's leading cast who bear the weight of the film well
Trev29May 24, 2014
While the actors are enjoyable, the characters are pretty flat. There is nothing remotely unique about this film, but most of it is just harmless entertainment that works for the most part.
glendoflumpMay 21, 2014
It's unoriginal in story, granted, but it had a lot of good, simple jokes and Reynolds comic delivery was surprisingly good. Some parts were strikingly honest in a way I didn't expect. Honestly, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.
RayzorMooseNov 16, 2013
The Proposal gets turned down.
The Proposal gets turned down.
The movie begins with humor and an interesting concept for a rom-com. After the first hour it then begins to become tiresome and directionless. The movie then evolves to an illogical overly cheesy story with no substance and the character moves are incomprehensibly silly at best.
ypomoniJul 5, 2013
Predictable. A typical summer romantic comedy. I personally failed to see any chemistry between the 2 lead actors, not to mention that they seemed to both be mis-casted for their roles.
I almost fell asleep towards the end and what an end!
I almost fell asleep towards the end and what an end! So very happy-go-lucky and completely impossible. The whole film's plot was out of synch.This is just like almost every other summer film of it's genre. Why did I bother??
worleyjamersFeb 24, 2013
Completely ridiculous story line, but completely entertaining nonetheless. Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds have great chemistry together, and Betty White is hilarious!
RikiegeJan 12, 2013
Totally fun.
A_NorthernerNov 11, 2012
Why did I watch it?
Mrs Northerner suggested we watch this as it was on TV while we were away. I think this may be at least strike #2 for her being allowed to suggest films to watch.
What's it all about? Ok, Sandra Bullock is the ****
Why did I watch it?

What's it all about?
Ok, Sandra Bullock is the **** editor-in-chief and Ryan Reynolds is her personal assistant. Bullock's visa (she's Canadian) expires and in order to protect her job she reveals to her employers that her and Reynolds are engaged and soon to be married. Obviously they aren't but Reynolds reluctantly agrees providing he is made editor and his book is published. Cue fun and games as Bullock meets Reynolds family and the couple try to avoid prison by tricking an inquisitive immigration agent.

Should you watch it?

The happy couple
It was sadly predictable how predictable the plot turned out to be. I don't think I'm giving anything away by saying that spoiler alert they don't get on, then get on, then fall out at the last minute before making up. The only unknown is knowing how close to the end the last minute falling out occurs. I've had more unpredictable trips to the bathroom.

Despite the plot, Reynolds and Bullock do have a genuine chemistry, are capable comedic performers and turn in decent performances within the constrains of the plot. The script's immense sarcasm and the pair's forced affection for each other, despite their contempt, can actually be pretty funny to watch.
dev92Aug 25, 2012
A normal romantic-comedy, The Proposal has a few laughs but tends to struggle for the most part, relying on the talents of Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds to carry this film through. It is fine as a date movie but nothing more.
ZilcellMar 2, 2012
The Proposal is predictable, you know what will happen. Despite this, there is some funny moments and a great cast. There is great charisma between Reynolds and Bullock.
heyitsmegrif4Jan 2, 2012
Silly, Predictable crap. Seen it a thousand times even though the stars have chemistry that doesn't even benefit the movie. Although Betty White gives a hilarious performance. I give this movie 25%.
grandpajoe6191Oct 17, 2011
"The Proposal" is total rubbish; it creates its own problems by connecting them to the plot. But nevertheless, if you like Ryan Reynolds getting his butt owned by Sandra Bullock, by all means, go ahead and enjoy...
JAM123Aug 5, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Alrightly funny at times but had a terrible plot. I feel like I've seen this exact same thing before in countless other romantic comedies. I like the cast and they had some funny jokes but a lot of it made me just role my eyes. Not a very good movie and don't recommend it. Expand
justnother1Jul 27, 2011
Sandra Bullock was a bit better than I expected, RR was a lot worse. Ryan Reynolds has no charm, no substance and is only barely into the attractive category. I suppose he represented 'everyman'. Betty White was fun and quirky, MarySandra Bullock was a bit better than I expected, RR was a lot worse. Ryan Reynolds has no charm, no substance and is only barely into the attractive category. I suppose he represented 'everyman'. Betty White was fun and quirky, Mary Steenburgen was wildly underused and the only real star of the whole show was the scenery. Expand
seiferJun 16, 2011
This film was...hmmmm... Interesting, I did not see much purpose so it hasn't groen on me as a good film, but I can say that it could have been worse!
jimmytancrediMay 29, 2011
The proposal is a good recipe for romantic comedy, there is no big novelties, but there are peculiarities in this very funny and interesting movie! Although I am not fan of Bullock, she's a good actress! I havenâ
gm101Nov 28, 2010
While I am no fan of chick flicks, I still loved this movie. I loved how they mocked the U.S. immigration problem, and Betty White is back (before watching the movie, I was actually watching reruns of the Golden Girls)!
LondonTrueloveNov 17, 2010
Sorry but it's beyond me how some of you losers can rate this movie so low. I was gonna give it a 9 but now I'm gonna give it a 10 just to piss you haters off. This was a damn good film. Bullock and Reynolds play off each other great and itSorry but it's beyond me how some of you losers can rate this movie so low. I was gonna give it a 9 but now I'm gonna give it a 10 just to piss you haters off. This was a damn good film. Bullock and Reynolds play off each other great and it was an all around fun and enjoyable movie. Very much worth watching Expand
DarkCriticAug 27, 2010
This movie wasn't that good! I didn't like Sandra Bullock's role in the movie,she does the same s*** in her previous bad films. The only coolest character in the movie is Ryan Reynolds and Betty White as the funny grandma,that's it! TheyThis movie wasn't that good! I didn't like Sandra Bullock's role in the movie,she does the same s*** in her previous bad films. The only coolest character in the movie is Ryan Reynolds and Betty White as the funny grandma,that's it! They shouldn't put Betty White as the funny grandma instead wathcing this crap of rom-com film with these two stupid couples! But to be fair,this movie turns people into watching this movie into guity-pleasure. But come one,it's just a stupid rom-com film and I don't think wasnt too great! Expand
MichaelDApr 29, 2010
I think Sandra Bullocks performance was okay.But everybody loves Sandra Bullock. Ryan's performance was okay 2.But you got 2 give Betty Whites performance was brilliant ever hands down.Everybody who was in this movie was okay.
BryceS.Apr 25, 2010
Bad Plot, not funny, those who say it are havn't seen any good funny films. It bored me to death. I wis it could be a little funny to maybe keep me enetertained as many of these bad movies do, but it failed even that. The Proposa was a Bad Plot, not funny, those who say it are havn't seen any good funny films. It bored me to death. I wis it could be a little funny to maybe keep me enetertained as many of these bad movies do, but it failed even that. The Proposa was a failure, well, neve mind, the teens in this world who dont watch good movies will love this! Expand
chochoFlyApr 8, 2010
Very fast and refreshing, not like some slow dull romantic comedies I have seen. The chemistry is strong. One of the best. Love it!!!
NoraBJan 24, 2010
Neither romantic or Funny! Isn't Sandra a little old for this one...I was rooting for the ex girlfriend in Alaska, and yes, it was predictable, plodding, and stupid, but I was astonished at how unsympathetic Sandra was as the canadian Neither romantic or Funny! Isn't Sandra a little old for this one...I was rooting for the ex girlfriend in Alaska, and yes, it was predictable, plodding, and stupid, but I was astonished at how unsympathetic Sandra was as the canadian bitch and how ineffective...and she got a nom for this one? Can't win them all, but this sucked. Expand
ArchilBJan 21, 2010
Margaret Tate's Soul - conciliates to friendship, Appearance - attracts, Mind - provokes respect. Conclusion: Her Spirit
GordonTJan 10, 2010
I can't believe that on any universe he would want to be with her. Of course a better written script could have saved that but then it would have been five, You have to be brain dead to like this movie.
LauraRDec 29, 2009
Abysmal film-making, terribly chemistry. This film in an insult to any honorable sense of humor.
jacobpDec 21, 2009
Neither romantic nor comedic. Typical Hollywood "love" story: Girl is mean. Guy is too nice. Guy sees girl naked, kiss, talk about childhood. Guy "loves" girl. Girl is still really mean. Viewer bangs head on wall. Characters are both Neither romantic nor comedic. Typical Hollywood "love" story: Girl is mean. Guy is too nice. Guy sees girl naked, kiss, talk about childhood. Guy "loves" girl. Girl is still really mean. Viewer bangs head on wall. Characters are both completely unlikeable. Boy is angsty and cloying. Girl is self-serving and flat. Echh. 2 if that. Expand
shayladNov 28, 2009
Very funny! Bullock and Reynolds chemistry was undeniable. Some parts seemed rushed or edited wrong but we could still convey what was going on.
LynnBNov 1, 2009
Had couple of funny moments, which is the least expected from any comedy film. Other than that, it was more or less boring and very predictable. Not one of the worst comedies, just a disappointingly below average one.
mauriciol.Oct 17, 2009
Well , it took me a while to see it, my mom recomened it , and well it was kind of slow, it was entertaining but i really expected a little more.
CapoRegimeOct 11, 2009
Funny and smart, both are perfect for each other.
JayH.Oct 7, 2009
I don
RickASep 1, 2009
I liked this movie even though at times it seemed a bit slow developing the story. There was enough humor to keep it light and fun, my kind of movie. It was worth the money spent.
tristancAug 26, 2009
Funny.
TDKinDallasAug 9, 2009
Had some really funny moments, but that's it. Incredibly stupid plot, stupendously unbelievable, cookie cutter rom com.
ZachF.Aug 2, 2009
The movie was surprisingly good for looking like a "chick flik". The comedy was as great, but the plot seemed like you could see everything coming.
SheldonW.Aug 2, 2009
I wasted one of my very few opportunities to take in a movie in the theater by agreeing to sit through this film. I never sensed the chemistry between the lead actors and the final scenes which accompanied the credits actually made the movie I wasted one of my very few opportunities to take in a movie in the theater by agreeing to sit through this film. I never sensed the chemistry between the lead actors and the final scenes which accompanied the credits actually made the movie much worse for me. They should have been left on the cutting floor! Expand
SteveSJul 31, 2009
My girlfriend liked the movie. I enjoyed her positive reaction, because she's a lot more fun when she's happy. However, I did not really like the movie. My main enjoyment of the movie was congratulating myself every time I My girlfriend liked the movie. I enjoyed her positive reaction, because she's a lot more fun when she's happy. However, I did not really like the movie. My main enjoyment of the movie was congratulating myself every time I correctly guessed a plot twist -- which happened a lot. I like Sandra Bullock a lot, but I sure don't care much for her choice of material. Expand
EnzoP.Jul 18, 2009
The Proposal starring Ryan Reynolds and Sandra Bullock is a laugh out loud romantic comedy. In this love story Margaret (Sandra Bullock) plays a tough bad ass boss of Andrew (Ryan Reynolds). When Margaret discovered that she was getting The Proposal starring Ryan Reynolds and Sandra Bullock is a laugh out loud romantic comedy. In this love story Margaret (Sandra Bullock) plays a tough bad ass boss of Andrew (Ryan Reynolds). When Margaret discovered that she was getting deported because she didn't fill out all of the papers that made go to the U.S,A. (She was originally from Canada). So she tells everyone that she is going to marry Andrew because he was originated from the United States. Andrew refused but Margaret made an offer he couldn't refuse. Now you are probably wondering what would of happened if she didn't make this big fat lie. Well, your question is that she would have to go back to Canada for one year to fill out the rest of the paperwork. When I was watching this movie I felt like Bullock and Reynolds had a very good connection they played very well with each other they brought a huge sparkle to the movie. The ending in the movie was not what I hoped for you knew the ending ever since you saw the first ten minutes. Although it made me laugh and I had a great time watching so I give it a 6. Expand
SusanJul 15, 2009
Very enjoyable. Recycled plot perhaps, but a lot of fun and quite a few laughs. Bullock and Reynolds make a surprisingly effective couple, and the script is very clever.
EvanJul 6, 2009
Surprisingly good from something that I had expected not to like. Sandra Bullock still has good comedy timing.
DwayneMJul 6, 2009
I hate girl movies but this was pretty dang funny.....SHe was a riot and what a nude seen,,,she gets an A for working out....The whole cast was hysterical.
AdrianFJul 2, 2009
I Love it!!! It's so funny, entertaining... the chemical energy between the incredible Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds are amazing and their acting was good... It's almost perfect.
NatashaJJul 1, 2009
Extremely funny, and not overly sappy, like some romantic comedies can be. Great performances from Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds as well.
AlaDJun 29, 2009
Very funny and well done.
BillJJun 29, 2009
I went with a friend. it was much better than I thought it would be. The ending was the best.
MarylnLJun 28, 2009
Nothing original, but quite entertaining. Good casting.
DanaMJun 28, 2009
This movie was surprisingly funny and well done. Especially after reading the reviews I felt I was taking a chance. But as usual the reviews are misleading. Based on the positive reviews, we went to see "Hangover", which was very This movie was surprisingly funny and well done. Especially after reading the reviews I felt I was taking a chance. But as usual the reviews are misleading. Based on the positive reviews, we went to see "Hangover", which was very disappointing. "The Proposal" gets metsa reviews from the critics and we found it very funny and worth seeing. Yes, its predictable, but it's very entertaining and well worth the ten bucks to see it. Expand
SamJun 28, 2009
No chemistry whatsoever in this terribly painful film. One of the worst movies I have ever endured. The cliche's are pounded out and exploited and the writing is awful.
virginialJun 28, 2009
Sure it was predictable but so what. Good acting, good timing, The boy got the girl. What could be better.
PaulaBJun 27, 2009
Mildly entertaining.
MichaelCJun 27, 2009
I'm usually not the biggest fan of romance movies, but The Proposal definitely was one of the best. Admitted, there were some areas that could have had better acting involved, overall it was interestingly funny.
kgmJun 25, 2009
I
ChadSJun 25, 2009
This Movie was alot better than the Hangover which is WAY OVER RATED. I Hate to say it but this movie sucked me in, yes it is a bit predictable but the two leads are great...Ryan Reynolds especially. I laughed and at one point nearly teared This Movie was alot better than the Hangover which is WAY OVER RATED. I Hate to say it but this movie sucked me in, yes it is a bit predictable but the two leads are great...Ryan Reynolds especially. I laughed and at one point nearly teared up. So ignore the critics go see it if you want a nice, funny and well acted film. Expand
DaveF.Jun 23, 2009
I haven't seen it yet, I just want to ask Chad WTF he's talking about?? How about a review that's actually helpful and readable? If you're going to be an advance scout, cater to the masses not your fellow elitists.
PhyllisS.Jun 22, 2009
My husband and I really loved this movie. It was funny and a joy to watch. Did not remind me of another movie when I was watching it. Usually if the critics don't like a movie,,,,,,I do. One that I could watch over many times.
JoeB.Jun 21, 2009
I heard one reviewer on the radio call it "utterly predictable" and "an appalling waste of talent." He's right on the first count, but then isn't that what romantic comedies are supposed to be? As to the second, the film was very I heard one reviewer on the radio call it "utterly predictable" and "an appalling waste of talent." He's right on the first count, but then isn't that what romantic comedies are supposed to be? As to the second, the film was very well cast. Bullock exhibits her top-notch talent, like always, and Reynolds was an unexpected but very good addition. While the plot was boilerplate and there definitely could have been more character development, the movie was funny, adorable, and generally a good time for the family. It was also (mostly) not too crass or crude, which is increasingly rare from Hollywood. Definitely worth the cost of a ticket. Expand
lauriW.Jun 21, 2009
Loved this movie. Well-directed, well-acted. Every scene was a gem that made me laugh.
JayneC.Jun 21, 2009
Loved this film, laughed all the way through it. FANTASTIC!!
JW.Jun 21, 2009
This is what we want from hollywood. An entertaining comedy not their political views on things promoted by movies. Critics are a waste of time as well. Critics by and large are in the business of promoting their name recognition and have This is what we want from hollywood. An entertaining comedy not their political views on things promoted by movies. Critics are a waste of time as well. Critics by and large are in the business of promoting their name recognition and have nothing in common with fly over American values. Expand
BrennanM.Jun 20, 2009
WOW. I'm a guy, and I really don't like that many Romantic Comedies, mainly because the romance is always cheesy and overdone. This movie however, despite having a very weak plot, was absolutely hilarious at many moments, and was WOW. I'm a guy, and I really don't like that many Romantic Comedies, mainly because the romance is always cheesy and overdone. This movie however, despite having a very weak plot, was absolutely hilarious at many moments, and was careful to avoid oh so many cliches. Seriously, every time the movie started droning on or falling into mediocrity, there was suddenly some unexpected twist or event that just made the theater crack up laughing. Also, the chemistry between the two was a great mix of puppy love and humor, thus the relationship never got old. Good stuff, I would recommend seeing it Expand
ChadS.Jun 19, 2009
[***SELF-POLICING SPOILER ALERT***] Struggling writers shouldn't detest "The Testing of Luther Albright" because its author is fabulously wealthy and well-connected, they should detest MacKenzie Bezos because her 2005 debut was a [***SELF-POLICING SPOILER ALERT***] Struggling writers shouldn't detest "The Testing of Luther Albright" because its author is fabulously wealthy and well-connected, they should detest MacKenzie Bezos because her 2005 debut was a literary triumph. In "The Proposal", Margaret Tate(Sandra Bullock), a Miranda Preistly-like book editor, evokes the double standard about female bosses in this sort of "The Devil Reads Don DeLillo", when "it"(as she's described by her employees) torments her assistant Andrew Paxton(Ryan Reynolds), and the staff this workaholic oversees at a New York publishing house. But Andrew isn't unformed as Andy Sachs(Anne Hathaway) was in the film based on Lauren Weisenberg's chick-lit sensation: he's not just an aspiring writer; he's also the son of a small town scion who puts Margaret in her place when the narrative moves to Alaska. Where once their relationship was symbiotic(she gets her work permit; he gets perks), now Margaret loses all her agency and gets reduced into another hopeless romantic; a woman who needs a man to help her attain true happiness. Surrounded by philistines, Margaret's intellectual elitism(she's never played a video game; she's never seen YouTube) is neutralized, since brains can't begin to compete with monetary wealth in our post-literate world. At a strip bar, the tables are turned, in a key scene, when the local Alaskans(the groom's family) whom Margaret can barely tolerate, allows a male stripper to have his way with her. She's humiliated. Books have no cultural currency in Andrew's neck of the woods. That's why he left Alaska, in spite of the family fortune. He sacrificed a lot to follow his muse. That's why it's hard to believe the happy ending after Andrew discovers the truth about his unpublished novel. It's hard to root for careerism. Expand
ChrisB.Jun 19, 2009
The movie was great, took the wife to see it and i was surprised that i enjoyed the movie also, its not perfect but it looks like everyone else in the theater enjoyed it also, lots of laughs.
TerriC.Jun 19, 2009
Loved it. Betty White was charming. More laughs than I expected.
AlexH.Jun 19, 2009
The Proposal covers almost about every cliche in the Romantic Comedy genre, but see the thing is Bullock and Reynolds make it work.
VaronL.Jun 19, 2009
I'd really come close to giving this movie an 8.5, but there are a few things that keep it from being a 9. If creepy male strippers bother you, there's about 3 minutes of the show you should just close your eyes or look away. I'd really come close to giving this movie an 8.5, but there are a few things that keep it from being a 9. If creepy male strippers bother you, there's about 3 minutes of the show you should just close your eyes or look away. It's somewhat cliche but honestly, what romantic comedy isn't? You know from the get-go the guy's going to get the girl, somehow, someway, the fun in the experience is seeing how it happens, and the two main actors deliver this experience perfectly, and the comedy is great. It could have used a little bit more of a reason as to how things changed for the two of them, but it looks like it's going to be the only chick flick that isn't going to be rated R this summer, and the only one so far, so if you're looking for a good chick flick this summer, this is it! (unless you can get her to watch transformers or star trek ;-)...all in all a solid movie! Expand
RobinC.Jun 19, 2009
Love it, they are so good together, and Betty White is great!!
luisR.Jun 19, 2009
Hilarious harmless fun.
JessicaM.Jun 19, 2009
This movie had everyone in the theater laughing... They do great with each other... Definitely a chick flick even guys can stand! =)
ChristineS.Jun 19, 2009
The comedy was good, but the romance wasn't developed enough. I didn't believe it at the end when Andrew said he went from loathing to loving in three days. Yeah Right!