5.3

1. Jun 7, 2013
    Let me preface this by saying my lord did this movie actually have an original, interesting story. When I saw the first preview for this I thought it had potential. Okay, got that out of the way, now, on to the point.

Saw the movie with moderate expectations, didn't think it would be overly great, and didn't think it would be terrible either. So, the movie starts, the annual Purge starts, okay, so good, so far. Pretty good opening. When the neighbor woman handed Lena Headey's character the cookies, I knew something was going to happen towards the end. Like I said, The Purge starts and so far so good. Then, like every movie with kids, they ruin everything. Not going to give any spoilers, but the movie, a good part of the movie was a search & destroy mission, then the final part of the movie went along with deciding what the right and wrong things were to do in the Purge and a final showdown and just when you think its about to end.....they SUCK you in for one last act of The Purge, it was predictable to a certain degree, and it wasn't really good. A let down and it felt very forced and stupid.

All in all, it wasn't horrible, but it didn't approach decent either, it was stupid. The acting was okay. I mean, Ethan Hawke is a very good, underrated actor, we all know that from his past work, but this wasn't his best role. The idea was original and fantastic, exciting really. However, the execution was poor, the story was badly written and if in the 12-hour window of the Purge, all crime is legal, why did they focus on just murder? I understand that was suppose to be the whole theme of it, but all crime is legal. Be realistic. Where's the rape, the bank robbing, the drugs, etc? The movie felt like one big run around and got very boring. Don't waste your time on this over-hyped crap.
  2. Jun 24, 2013
    The idea of the movie is good,12 hours a year crime is legal, I think it had its inspiration from the Episode 21 Season 1 Start Trek series "The Return of the Archons" where people of Beta III "let loose" at the striking of "The Red Hour" (at 6:00pm), starting "Festival": a period of violence, destruction and sexual aggressiveness.
    This idea was never used into a movie but interesting
    This idea was never used into a movie but interesting that the only movie to use this idea turned out to be a disappointment that didn't live up to our expectations.
    In the near future of 2022 USA is a "reborn" nation because of the New Founding Father who brought order and prosperity to the nation by eliminating crime, poverty, unemployment and one of the reasons to this prosperity seem to the Purge, 12 hours where crime is legal. There we see our problems:

- this utiopian/dystopian society happens to fast, really 9 years? Who would vote for these guys to make the Purge legal? Do the american people and international community accept this and do nothing? It is too soon and so implausible!

- who is the one to come up with this idea of crime being legal, Princess Morbucks from the Powerpuff Girls

- what will the victims of the Purge do? Won't they complain, protest or revolt?

- who is going to pay for all the deaths, hospitalizations and consolations of the victims, destroyed public and private property?

- what about the people who have health problems or suffer an accident, not because of the Purge, will they be left for death and the ambulance and firefighters will do nothing?

- what will the poor, the homeless and the less fortunate ones do? Is the Purge the reason why poverty is down to 1%?

And speaking of homeless, out of all the people to be hunted down it had to be a homeless, retired veteran, black man! Of course they have to pic on the black guy, because in Hollywood the black guy always dies first. Really? Even in this "reborn nation" the unfortunate and poor are still blacks and soldiers who fought in the war? Seems like some things never change, isn't that right John Rambo?Fighting for your country just to become homeless and hunted down by people of the country your served.

Overall from a suspenseful and tense dystopian movie this turned into another silly home invasion movie with stupid expandables for villains.
    The acting was ok, the main villain was well played and so annoyingly evil you just really want him purged.

This movie is as bad, in fact more bad than Daybreakers! Good idea but badly exploited in a bad movie.
    The plot for this movie would have been good in the 70s and 80s not in the second decade of 2000s. Back then it would have been a cheesy B-movie but it would have been saved from being forgotten or tared to pieces by critics by becoming a cult classic.
    All this strong faith and patriotism to the New Founding Father and the purge makes the movie laughable and I think that people who hate USA will probably use this movie to show how bad USA is. Heck, I think this movie might be legal in North Korea, saying that this actually happens in USA.

I rated this movie 4/10 on Metacritic but it deserves a 4.5/10 and I look forward to see the sequel in hopping that will explain how USA got reborn and who are these New Founding Fathers, and what are Level 10 government officials and Class 4 weapons?
  3. Jun 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I watched the Purge this weekend and I gotta say I wasn't even in the least bit impressed. Before I continue, I have to say that this is the dumbest concept for a movie ever! So let me get this straight, in this movie, people are contempt with being able to commit a crime only on one day an that just basically stops crime? What about serial killers? Beyond that apparently, everyone just kinda excepted this Idea as there were no talks of people standing against the purging. To make matters worse this is in 2022 and according to the movie it started in 2017 just five years later and everyone celebrates a purging like it's the Super Bowl. Hell, they literally have a Purge TV. In other words I already Hate these people right off the bat. .By the way another huge problem with the concept is that it isn't explained how it works. During the broadcast you are allowed to use weapons except for class 5 and above. So, no rocket launchers? You also can't hurt Class 10 Government officials I think. So Don't kill the president and his cabinet? Also medical aid/police stations/fire stations are suspended. So what happens if you have a heart attack? What stops you from killing all cops? That is the main problem with the concept it doesn't go into details with the rules. But I digress. The next problem is the movie starts a pointless plot point that goes nowhere. We spend about 20 minutes on the boyfriend explaining that he would talk to the girl's father, only to be axed early and almost completely forgotten. We could use this time to explain the rules and reason for the purge, but nope, completely wasted.Something else annoying is this movie isn't scary in the least, but tries with a couple hundred jump scares. JUMP SCARES ARE NOT SCARY! There are alot of annoying things that appear in the movie so as to say this is a plot point, you stupid monkey". Like when you see a burnt up baby toy with wheels and a camera. Geez, I wonder if this is important. The reason for this is that one of the main producers is Platinum Dunes. If you don't know what that is, does Micheal Bay ring a bell? Nuff Said. In the story the family locks themselves in there house for protection against the aforementioned Purge. BTW is it me or is the only reason the purge exist in this movie, an excuse for the plot to happen. It is just there so the home invasion movie can happen for a contrived reason. When the son lets a wounded homeless man in his house cause he's a dumb ass. The man is followed by a gang of youths who are trying to kill him. To bring the movies message deeper they make the youths from an affluent neighborhood and mostly white while making the man Black, homeless and a veteran. This is a cheap way to gain sympathy for the character, that really isn't needed. The youths tell them that they need to find the man, so they kill him just for being poor. If they don't, they will be killed with him. At this point the movie becomes a hunting movie with nothing happening until he is found and we are shown why we shouldn't like the characters in the movie. however the family for no reason completely out of nowhere decide to save the man and fight. At this point it becomes a home invasion movie as the youths move in to kill them. Yes it is like you walked into a different movie. A bunch of people die and there is a trifecta of Deus Ex Machinas. I won't spoil the ending except to say that the movie ends without being climactic and just comes off strange yet hilarious. And what was the point there was no change nothing was improve, making this movie COMPLETELY POINTLESS! It is sad cause this movie had great actors in it(except for the main villain), but they had nothing to work with. This movie is a 4/10 to me, it's just meh. You'll forget this movie after watching it. Hell I had to look up some thing to write this review. A stupid plot, pointless filler, uneven pace, and generally crap atmosphere. I might be being nice but I am going to leave it at that. Expand
  4. Jul 28, 2014
    It's a pity such an interesting idea was wasted on making a home-invasion horror flick. The genre is not the problem, though. It's how its creator decides to present his film. He wants a profitable horror film that follows cliches and aims at horror film audiences alone. He wants nothing more than violence and scare jumps. It is a pity this premise is not exploited at all. It feels likeIt's a pity such an interesting idea was wasted on making a home-invasion horror flick. The genre is not the problem, though. It's how its creator decides to present his film. He wants a profitable horror film that follows cliches and aims at horror film audiences alone. He wants nothing more than violence and scare jumps. It is a pity this premise is not exploited at all. It feels like every single remark on social issues is a matter of luck. A great disappointment when you have been captivated by Universal's intriguing marketing campaign, but shows potential that can be fulfilled in sequel films. Expand
  5. Jun 18, 2013
    I‘ll cut to the chase. It’s supposed to be a
    I‘ll cut to the chase. It’s supposed to be a horror sci-fi thriller but it fits none of the two supposed genres. It’s a short film (85 minutes) and the first roughly thirty consist of a wealthy Ethan Hawke and his family gearing up for the night. Other events complicate the family’s safety, and finally there are a few actually decent action scenes about an hour into the film and lead to a predictable yet tasteless ending.
    The main villain is a young fella who is the leader of a group of college-aged kids taking part in The Purge (because c’mon, who doesn’t want to kill somebody?) and his acting job is creepily sinister and ends up giving you an overall solid job of being the bad guy. Otherwise, if you come expecting a scary, thrilling, and violent movie, you get none of the first two adjectives and a little bit of the third.
    I will have to say that the idea the movie presents is spectacular. It could be turned into an awesome futuristic film if taken seriously and turned into something serious (maybe down the lines of Looper, Cloud Atlas, etc.) so I’ll give writer-director James DeMonaco that.
  6. Jun 7, 2013
    This movie had an interesting and original story, but it doesn't have all the elements to work together. The movie doesn't really have the scary feel its suppose to have. Plus, the people in the mask only express their how psychotic they really are. They don't deliver any purpose. If it was more like the Joker in "The Dark Knight", then they would actually make this movie work. ButThis movie had an interesting and original story, but it doesn't have all the elements to work together. The movie doesn't really have the scary feel its suppose to have. Plus, the people in the mask only express their how psychotic they really are. They don't deliver any purpose. If it was more like the Joker in "The Dark Knight", then they would actually make this movie work. But honestly, these actors weren't made for their roles. I wish I had more to say, but that's all I have to say about this extremely short "psychological" movie. Overall, it doesn't completely work together. Expand
  7. Jun 11, 2013
    The trailer makes it look like a Funny Games for the 99 percent. (Ugh. That sounded terrible.... forgive me.) But it's nowhere near as interesting or as diabolical as Funny Games. And being predictable isn't the worst thing in the world so long as the movie is executed with skill, but this one is very much the former but nowhere near the latter. Still, Hawke and Heady make itThe trailer makes it look like a Funny Games for the 99 percent. (Ugh. That sounded terrible.... forgive me.) But it's nowhere near as interesting or as diabolical as Funny Games. And being predictable isn't the worst thing in the world so long as the movie is executed with skill, but this one is very much the former but nowhere near the latter. Still, Hawke and Heady make it interesting. The kid from Parenthood is serviceable, but it would have been more interesting if he were actually playing his character from Parenthood. Collapse
  8. Jun 13, 2013
    Although The Purge has an interesting and original story/concept, the slow start to the film and the eventual climax leaves you feeling rather underwhelmed.
  9. Jun 22, 2013
    This movie very predictable, for me anyways. The plot was okay, but the way they executed it could have been much better. This movie actually reminded me of the movie "The Strangers." It had many strong points, but the ending sucked. It was more comical than horrific. I wanted so bad for someone to commit a crime after the 12th hour...
  10. Jun 7, 2013
    Never, in my all my years of film, have I been more frustrated and physically irritated by characters and their dumb decisions. They struggle to make not only the right choice, but a comprehensible one. When guns start to go off the film is good. Only problem is that's the final 15 minutes of an 85 minute movie. It's not bad, but it wasted its potential.
  11. Jun 12, 2013
    The future America's in great shape, primarily because one nite a year anything (including murder) is legal. This leads to a "Straw Dogs" style home invasion scenario, with Ethan Hawke's family having to defend itself. When this film is working, it's violently gripping, but there are several lags in pacing that also lack suspense. Even with the clever dystopian plot, three of the tightThe future America's in great shape, primarily because one nite a year anything (including murder) is legal. This leads to a "Straw Dogs" style home invasion scenario, with Ethan Hawke's family having to defend itself. When this film is working, it's violently gripping, but there are several lags in pacing that also lack suspense. Even with the clever dystopian plot, three of the tight spots rely on the same last-minute rescue. Still, paranoia, brutality and subversive concepts combine for a decent thriller. Expand
  12. Jul 18, 2013
    The Purge seemed to have an interesting and original story in the making however as the film gathers pace what unfolds is unfortunately less than impressive as the film loses its way. It's 2022 and America is prospering as a nation reborn. Crime and unemployment is at all time low. This is due to a government initiated programme known as the annual purge. Where in a 12 hour period allThe Purge seemed to have an interesting and original story in the making however as the film gathers pace what unfolds is unfortunately less than impressive as the film loses its way. It's 2022 and America is prospering as a nation reborn. Crime and unemployment is at all time low. This is due to a government initiated programme known as the annual purge. Where in a 12 hour period all crime is legal and emergency services are suspended. The idea is genius and intriguing. The film focuses on the Purge through the Sandin family headed by Ethan Hawke and Lena Headey. They have become wealthy through the introduction of the purge. It had the potential to offer a very unique and fresh take on the horror genre but ultimately unfolds into numbing violence and tired clichés. Very much a missed opportunity and a sad disappointment! Expand
  13. Jul 5, 2013
    It's a shame that such an intriguing concept (The idea of the titular 'Purge') is wasted on such a dull plot which follows a dull, unrelatable family defend their home from a group of random strangers, its biggest mistake is giving us no background to the bad guys, it's hard to be intimidated by an antagonist who appears from seemingly nowhere. It also fails in being a thriller, the filmIt's a shame that such an intriguing concept (The idea of the titular 'Purge') is wasted on such a dull plot which follows a dull, unrelatable family defend their home from a group of random strangers, its biggest mistake is giving us no background to the bad guys, it's hard to be intimidated by an antagonist who appears from seemingly nowhere. It also fails in being a thriller, the film just isn't tense. However as previously stated I love the idea of 'The Purge' and a future sequel could potentially be a much better watch. TL:DR; wait for it to come to TV, as mediocre as they come Expand
  14. Jul 30, 2013
    The film's run time was a huge blow to the film itself. It was too short. There no room for back story or to even tell the actual story being told during the film. It was simply too fast paced, It ruined the film. As for the plot itself, It was an interesting premise but was poorly executed. The film's length really hurt the plot, I feel they couldn't really develop it enough to make itThe film's run time was a huge blow to the film itself. It was too short. There no room for back story or to even tell the actual story being told during the film. It was simply too fast paced, It ruined the film. As for the plot itself, It was an interesting premise but was poorly executed. The film's length really hurt the plot, I feel they couldn't really develop it enough to make it into a good enough plot because of the short run time. As for the dialogue, It wasn't that good. It was average at best really, Which is sort of disappointing.

The acting is ok, The film is easily carried by Hawke and Headey, despite the weak written dialogue they have to deal with. A bit of action, mainly towards the end, that was enough to satisfy viewers but it would have been nice to have solid action through out instead of all of being played out during the last 10-15 mins or so. It would have been nice if they had added a real gruesome scene or two though because the whole point of the film is there is no law for the next 12 hours. Use some imagination or something, Make the viewers shift in their seats because of how sick the scene is, Be a horror movie you know? Sadly they don't really do that in this film.

Overall, The short run time, average at best dialogue, and lack of any true horror was a huge downer. I was really hoping that The Purge would capitalize on the very promising premise but sadly it did not. The ending did save it from being a total disappointment but it wasn't enough to save the film as a whole.
  15. Aug 3, 2013
    My favorite part of the movie is when someone says "Let us due our duties as Americans." Once you accept that the entire concept is ludicrous and completely thoughtless, it is entertaining enough to keep your attention.
  16. Jul 24, 2013
    this movie has an original story and it's well done, but the thing is that the movie doesn't have anything to do with te trailer, the movie was too short an the end just doesn't have sense, and it doesn't go with the movie, and this movie didn't scared me at all. I just dont recommend it.
  17. Jun 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Extremely disappointing. Cool concept, good acting, poor execution, and terrible story. It seems an impossible task to be frightened by mainstream Hollywood "thrillers" unless you completely shut off your brain. It felt like the film was going half-speed in the beginning, doing a fairly decent job of building tension but once the break-in occurred, it all felt horribly rushed. The group of young wanna-be Clockwork Orangesque punks turned into simple shotgun fodder and lost any of the scary edge they built up while waiting outdoors. And by the end, I wished that I got to see what was going on outside of this rich white family's home during the "Annual Purge". A far better tale would have been someone trapped alone while anarchy reigned this felt like a poor rip-off of Panic Room in many ways. Great concept but they could have used a proper story to back it up, which just makes me sad to think about the missed opportunity. I am actually hoping for a sequel that focuses on another aspect of the night. Expand
  18. Jun 10, 2013
    From the producers of Paranormal Activity (as is all horror films these days) The Purge tells the story of a near future were crime is at an all time low and unemployment stands at under 1% of the US population, to compensate for one night a year all crime (including murder) is legal for 12 hours allowing society some kind of release.

The film revolves around the Sandin family who are

The film revolves around the Sandin family who are confronted by a group of college students hunting a man on the night of the Purge who the family had allowed into their home after lockdown. The Purgers (lead by Rhys Wakefield) drastically try to break into the family’s home causing James (Ethan Hawke) and Mary (Lena Headey) to protect their children from the invaders in order to survive the night.

The main problem with the film is the premise itself, whilst interesting is filled with flaws and holes that just make the whole idea ridiculous. Such as what happens to the serial killers and career criminals of this world? Do they just control their urges to kill or steal for the other 364 days until the next Purge, as well what if someone has a heart attack on the night of The Purge? Is it just a case of bad luck you chose the wrong night to need medical care?
    Despite the flaws of the premise, the film repeatedly ignores the possibilities of the premise, instead of exploring the ideas behind the Purge or the events that occur on the night of the Purge from different perspectives and situations. Instead the film settles for a typical home invasion story that although done well, is nothing we haven’t seen done in many other films. The Purge in the end seems to only be the premise of this film to stop the age old question of “Why don’t they just call the police?” in home invasion films.

To the films credit it is quite subtle, there’s a running theme that the Purge is just an excuse for the upper classes to exterminate the poor, driven by all the attackers wearing prep school blazers and the person they are chasing wearing dog tags around his neck. The film also contains some strong performances, especially from Ethan Hawke (Training Day, Lord of War) and Lena Headey (Dredd, Game of Thrones) who carry the film throughout. The film also has a twist near the end which allows the audience to get inside the heads of the people during this night.

That cant be said for the leader of the Purger’s played by Rhys Wakefield (Sanctum, Home and Away)whose performance is slightly cringe worthy, hes trying to be psychotic yet in control of the proceedings but it just comes across as a amateur dramatics’ version of The Joker. He just never seems like a really threat and just a creepy next door neighbour.

The film also contains some bizarre and just plain weird set pieces, such as the families’ son who builds a spy camera on a chard baby doll on the top of a rhino tank from Warhammer 40,000. The thing looks like a demented contraption from Sid’s bedroom in Toy Story.

Overall, The Purge is an ok home invasion film, there are moments of suspense and a couple of jump scares are effective. The wasted potential of the premise is the films main downfall which could have lead to a more effective and possible original film then what we got in the end.
  19. Jul 15, 2013
    primero tengo un primo que es gay y esta enamorado del director de esta película y segundo no me parece una película que algún día vaya a ganar un premio de ninguna categoría.
  20. Jun 21, 2013
    "The Purge" starring Ethan Hawke was easily one of my most anticipated movies of the summer. It is a bold statement but the concept of the purge itself was enough for me to be immediately intrigued by the movies interesting premise. Unfortunately however it failed to exceed my already high expectations.

The idea of 12 hours of all crime being legal, to me was something fresh and new. The idea was great but the script and plot began to dwindle down into your very average home invasion thriller. Which is not to say is a bad thing. Granted a number of home invasion thrillers are great (ex. The Strangers). However with such a crazy premise and great acting by Ethan Hawke, Lena Headey, and Rhys Wakefield, it is really just sad that it does not expand and explore more of the concept.

Easily the strongest element of this movie is Rhys Wakefield's sadistically creepy character. Delivering two great monologues that legitimately disturbed me. Ethan Hawke is just as great as usual but never really goes above and beyond. Nor does really anyone. Which all really directs back to the writing which is pretty sloppy. I would be lying if I said I didn't have a good time. On several occasions I jumped, I was on the edge of my seat and I laughed a good amount.

Some will enjoy this more than others, I for one was not blown away like I had anticipated I would be.
    It's nothing more than your average home invasion movie.

I'm giving "The Purge" 6/10
  21. Jun 21, 2013
    When I first heard of this film, I was excited to see what was in the minds of the producers. The concept was enthralling as I pictured an America actually following those footsteps in order to maintain population control. When the film became a house survival/horror film, it greatly disappointed me. The film though, had great acting by a joker-like villain. It kept me entertained as IWhen I first heard of this film, I was excited to see what was in the minds of the producers. The concept was enthralling as I pictured an America actually following those footsteps in order to maintain population control. When the film became a house survival/horror film, it greatly disappointed me. The film though, had great acting by a joker-like villain. It kept me entertained as I wandered for how it would end. The film was just as long as it needed to be, but because of my disappointment with the concept is the reason for my lower score. Expand
  22. Jun 22, 2013
    The most frustrating thing about this movie is that it is almost good. Different pacing, more development, a bit more intrigue and a little less slasher would have taken the film to another level.
  23. Nov 9, 2013
    There's an interesting idea at the core of this movie. The idea of the government allowing all crime to be legal for one night a year has the potential to make a great movie, but despite this interesting concept the movie falls short. Characters act moronic and the movie lacks any sense of fear. There is some pretty interesting political and social commentary here, but most of it getsThere's an interesting idea at the core of this movie. The idea of the government allowing all crime to be legal for one night a year has the potential to make a great movie, but despite this interesting concept the movie falls short. Characters act moronic and the movie lacks any sense of fear. There is some pretty interesting political and social commentary here, but most of it gets drowned out by the overwhelming stupidity of the characters and their decisions. I get the overall theme of the movie, but the writers and director failed to capitalize on it. It's almost like they decided to make a movie with profound political commentary but just gave up and turned it into a generic home-invasion flick.

I guess what I'm so disappointed with is the fact that the movie had the potential to be so much more. You can feel it all throughout this movie. Unfortunately I have to review this movie for what it is, not what it could have been. "The Purge" has some great ideas but ends up sinking in stupidity that really should not have been there. It's safe to skip this one.
  24. Oct 27, 2013
    Its concept and premise is rather different and interesting and it does make a good social and political allegory, but it is ruined by extreme lack of logic, dumb characters, bad dialogue, bad acting (apart from a menacing Rhys Wakefield) and a lack of suspense and terror. The Purge mainly succeeds it create foreboding terror as shown in the first 15 or so minutes when it is setting up theIts concept and premise is rather different and interesting and it does make a good social and political allegory, but it is ruined by extreme lack of logic, dumb characters, bad dialogue, bad acting (apart from a menacing Rhys Wakefield) and a lack of suspense and terror. The Purge mainly succeeds it create foreboding terror as shown in the first 15 or so minutes when it is setting up the purge rather than the home-invasion itself. By the end of the film, audiences will be disappointed and annoyed. Well, at least Lena Headey breaks some ladies face, which is possibly the best thing in the film. Expand
  25. Jun 23, 2013
    Besides having a concept that makes no sense and insults who we are as people, The Purge offers enough tension and fear to make up for its lack of depth and limited purging.
  26. Nov 15, 2013
    'The Purge' presents a good premise developed the wrong way, unfortunately, is a shallow dead and dull movie, when you end of watch, you just find yourself thinking about something else.
  27. Jun 9, 2013
    The movie had a good premise, but the characters were all 2-dimensional. They didn't really learn anything. We already knew the the "purge" day would be bad, and you are left with the exact same conclusion at the end. The characters act completely irrational the entire movie, which is what you might expect from a horror movie, I guess.

If you like a movie with scary jump shots, little

If you like a movie with scary jump shots, little to no character development, and some shaky action scenes, you might like this movie.
  28. Dec 13, 2014
    A beautifully original concept created terrifying potential here. However it's potential that's misused using age old jumpy scares. The scenario sets the stage brightly, but by the end, the stage is left overshadowed with disappointment. The hype surrounding The Purge obviously got out of hand, as it is a mildly entertaining thriller and little more. A sequel was inevitable given it'sA beautifully original concept created terrifying potential here. However it's potential that's misused using age old jumpy scares. The scenario sets the stage brightly, but by the end, the stage is left overshadowed with disappointment. The hype surrounding The Purge obviously got out of hand, as it is a mildly entertaining thriller and little more. A sequel was inevitable given it's financial performance. It should have been better though. Expand
  29. Oct 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I think I enjoy the concept of this film more than the movie. The idea that, in order to control the country and the populace, our government allows a 12-hour period where all crime is legal. Add Ethan Hawke to the mix and a family that is forced to decide on whether they should allow a man who is guilty of nothing more than just existing or losing everything and you have a recipe for success. However, the movie proved to be a little messy for my tastes. The story is a little chaotic and a lot of the characters go underdeveloped. The film offers up a great twist ending that is perfectly foreshadowed in the beginning but the ending feels slightly tacked on due to a poorly handled plot. However, with all the potential deal breakers going on in this movie, most of the acting is great, the Polite Leader antagonist that is harassing the trapped family is fantastic and, most of all, the concept is just brilliant. While it didn't live up to its potential, it was still very entertaining. Expand
  30. Feb 25, 2014
    I really liked this original idea that surrounded the whole movie. I was excited for the Purge to happen in the movie and once it started I was underwhelmed and just angered by stupid decisions one after another. I know movies need characters to make "mistakes" to progress the plot but there were so many that after halfway I was just left aggravated. I think this movie was okay, it isI really liked this original idea that surrounded the whole movie. I was excited for the Purge to happen in the movie and once it started I was underwhelmed and just angered by stupid decisions one after another. I know movies need characters to make "mistakes" to progress the plot but there were so many that after halfway I was just left aggravated. I think this movie was okay, it is worth a rent and the idea was awesome so I hope a sequel can fix the mistakes. Just felt it could have been much better. Expand
  31. Aug 26, 2013
    Not the best horror movie of 2013, but I didn't think that "The Purge" was that bad. It has an original concept, but it isn't taken to the full amount it could have gone.
  32. Oct 10, 2013
    It was not exciting, it was really a two scary scenes in it all, I do not know what was in it for horror. A rather weak story seems to have been a low-budget movie.
  33. Nov 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I feel almost cheated with this movie, honestly. It's hard to feel concerned for a character when you know absolutely nothing about them. The only characters I can remember by name (after finishing the movie just seconds ago) was Zoey Sandin. Apart from that I have no idea who anyone was or what their stories were.

The antagonists seemed almost stereotypical in their Power Rangers Villain-esque portrayal, wanting to kill the "homeless pig" for the sake of a class war. This surprises me because in the event that this were a real event, it would more than likely be the lower class exhausting aggression on the upper class for obvious reasons. The antagonists, literally called in the subtitles: Freaks and Polite Leader, were completely bereft of any emotion and seemed to exhibit more of a Sociopathic tendency that you'd more likely see in a serial killer movie.

There wasn't anything lovable about the characters on either side, there was no one that I could honestly relate to and consequentially care about. What really brought it all down hill though was the cultish behavior of the neighbors when they all gathered around to kill the family with a less than concerning prayer of sorts. I wasn't sure if I was watching a Quentin Tarantino movie, at which I would have at least expected a few comedic quips with very serious overarching themes or a movie based on the works of Steven King in which a supernatural occurrence is the source of all the craze, at which point I expected (but was not given) a brazen attempt to convey a psychological aspect of what I would do in that situation.

Suffice to say, the movie fell flat in all aspects other than one thing that made me watch the movie in the first place: An original concept. This isn't something that's been done before and as stated at the beginning of my review, I feel cheated in how poorly it turned out.
  34. Sep 26, 2013
    This was better than I thought it would be. With all the negative comments, I'm glad I ignored them and watched and I enjoyed it pretty much. This is more focused on what if we are in the situation and what would we do? I give this a focus on story and not on the graphics and comical story. I give this one a high rate of @@@@.5 for the story. Give this movie a go and please look on theThis was better than I thought it would be. With all the negative comments, I'm glad I ignored them and watched and I enjoyed it pretty much. This is more focused on what if we are in the situation and what would we do? I give this a focus on story and not on the graphics and comical story. I give this one a high rate of @@@@.5 for the story. Give this movie a go and please look on the story and not the graphics. Movie is supposed to be judge by its content not the cover anyway. Expand
  35. Dec 23, 2013
    The Purge offers imaginative plot but offer less scares and thrilling scenes which is not likely more of a sufficient thrilling movie and another thing that made this movie less mediocre is that it has a short running time.

It still good to be watched. The sound effects is still on its name. The characters, even though they are not that highly portrayable. They still got little guts. Actually, for my opinion, the only thing that raises its popularity was its unbelievable plot which is making all crimes legal within the annual "The Purge" 12 hour period.

The story tells us how a family managed to be secured and protected amidst of violent and chaotic people waiting outside their home that wanted to salvage and kill them. It is now up to them to destroy and kill those people before they killed them.

So overall of my opinion. All that I can say was that this movie is still adequate for family watching.

Rating 4 10
  36. Dec 12, 2013
    Draws viewers in with an interesting idea, and the first half looks promising, but succumbs to cliches. The second half is boring rather than suspenseful.
  37. Feb 14, 2014
    This was a decent thriller. My heart was pounding in several scenes but I can understand why It's rating is what it is. The film had it's flaws but also had it's good points. Maybe It's just me but I wouldn't trust reviews on this to much. You might you have to watch it yourself
  38. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    The Purge was pretty good, considering horror movies these days are just boring because most of them just follow the style of Paranormal Activity after it came out, but this wasn't like Paranormal Activity at all. The Purge is original, and you'll actually jump at points.
  39. Jan 24, 2015
    I expected a lot of that movie and guess what…This is a lames ass movie with very few action sequences.The twists were predictable and the acting was not so good.Even Ethan Hawke couldn't save the movie.
  40. Sep 8, 2014
    A very cool concept that was not executed well at all. This movie could have been really good but was not set up well and was not interesting at all. I was looking forward to seeing this one even though I have heard a lot of bad things about it, and I was very disappointed with it. Very boring with not very good acting makes this a very poor movie.
  41. Jul 19, 2014
    'The Purge' is definitely one of those movies I went in with way to much anticipation and excitement. Even though the idea was one of my favorite plot ideas in a while, I can’t get over the fact that it was set up to be this crazy and malicious crime spree night, but turned out to be like any other murder movie where the bad guy(s) come, the killing starts, and then the movie is over. In'The Purge' is definitely one of those movies I went in with way to much anticipation and excitement. Even though the idea was one of my favorite plot ideas in a while, I can’t get over the fact that it was set up to be this crazy and malicious crime spree night, but turned out to be like any other murder movie where the bad guy(s) come, the killing starts, and then the movie is over. In the movie world today, when I here a movie is coming up that has to do with a 12 hour period where all crime (including murder) is legal with no cops or hospitals, I expect it to be freaking awesome, wouldn’t you? Expand
  42. Jul 15, 2014
    Imagine a world where crime is basically non-existent and almost everyone has a job and is doing well. Imagine this utopia is in the US in the year 2022. Thanks to a night held once a year called The Purge, this is all somehow possible. Any crime is legal for a night every year until morning comes. That is the basic setting for the movie.
    I‘ll cut to the chase. It’s supposed to be a
  43. Aug 25, 2014
    I give this movie a 4 only because of the originality and so it's sort of worth watching, other than that it's terrible anyone saying otherwise was clearly high while watching. The film has SO many cliche and stupid moments that leave you face palming so hard. I predicted almost every single moment in this film because of how unoriginal it was. To leave spoilers to a minimum let's just sayI give this movie a 4 only because of the originality and so it's sort of worth watching, other than that it's terrible anyone saying otherwise was clearly high while watching. The film has SO many cliche and stupid moments that leave you face palming so hard. I predicted almost every single moment in this film because of how unoriginal it was. To leave spoilers to a minimum let's just say that the characters have a decision where it's either this happens or this and this happens and even though this occurs in both scenarios the characters still have a hard time deciding what to do. And 1 character who keeps screwing everything up and just being an annoyance. When the credits rolled I felt that this amazing idea had just been ruined entirely because they either couldn't think of anything better or because they were plain lazy. Also you could mistake this movie for ANY other movie as it has NOTHING to do with the purge, the only resemblance it has is the beginning and end. I hope anarchy proves better than this... Expand
  44. Sep 2, 2014
    While it has an intriguing premise, and it's an overall suspenseful and enjoyable movie, "The Purge" is loaded with plot holes, inconsistencies, bad acting, shaky cam, and stupid characters. If you can look past all its flaws, I would recommend it.
  45. Nov 13, 2014
    "The Purge" 10 Scale Rating: 4.0 (Mediocre) ...

The Good: Not a bad idea and halfway through I was genuinely interested in the outcome. Though the execution was ultimately lacking, it was a nice setup. The Bad: It pretty much degenerates into the same cliche movie we have all seen a hundred times before. When the bad guys finally get in (come on, you knew they would!), it should be a
    "The Purge" 10 Scale Rating: 4.0 (Mediocre) ...

The Bad: It pretty much degenerates into the same cliche movie we have all seen a hundred times before. When the bad guys finally get in (come on, you knew they would!), it should be a suspenseful and chilling moment. Instead, it becomes a boring shoot 'em up. How many times can you see the "good guy" on the ground with a villain standing over them when suddenly, from somewhere off screen, shots ring out saving the day? It happens with mind numbing consistency in this film. Ethan Hawke's character was also not even remotely likeable and you find yourself rooting against him for most of the movie.
  46. Nov 22, 2014
    The Purge was pretty stupid. The acting was terrible, the story was good but it had added satisfactory. There were quite the few plot holes, and the lines...Jesus Christ, man!
  47. May 18, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This isn't as bad as people say it is. If you just want to enjoy a solid thriller, go see The Call instead. This is a sometimes stupid, and slow movie with dumb character, yet watchable. Watch this if you want to see a violent stupid movie. All the characters in this movie were just stupid. If they just let the homeless man go, everything would be fine. The ending when the neighbors helped them kill the intruders was just stupid. Then the twist was also horrible. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Rex Reed
    Jun 11, 2013
    As a nauseating variation on the home-invasion theme, The Purge is as sickening as it is dreary.
  2. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Jun 9, 2013
    This is quite possibly the most moronic motion picture I have seen thus far in 2013 and that's saying a lot.
  3. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    Jun 9, 2013
    The Purge isn’t just stupid; it’s also pretentious and often makes no sense.