5.2

1. Feb 25, 2014
    I really liked this original idea that surrounded the whole movie. I was excited for the Purge to happen in the movie and once it started I was underwhelmed and just angered by stupid decisions one after another. I know movies need characters to make "mistakes" to progress the plot but there were so many that after halfway I was just left aggravated. I think this movie was okay, it is worth a rent and the idea was awesome so I hope a sequel can fix the mistakes. Just felt it could have been much better. Expand
  2. Aug 26, 2013
    Not the best horror movie of 2013, but I didn't think that "The Purge" was that bad. It has an original concept, but it isn't taken to the full amount it could have gone.
  3. LTR
    Nov 9, 2013
    This is a good horror movie. The characters are good and the atmosphere is good. My main problem with the film is the whole idea that crime is legal in one day. Even though it is original, I just think it's stupid.
  4. Aug 25, 2013
    The purge is singlehandedly the most pointless movie i have ever seen... In what sort of civilised society would the government allow one night where anything is legal? (spoiler alert (not that there is anything in the movie TO BE spoiled)) Stupid thing numero uno: Why would the kid let a man, who for all she knows could kill her whole family, into her house on the one night of the year that it is legal for them to do whatever they want.

Stupid thing 2:
    Why would Ethan Hawke harbour someone who for all he knows could have been a serial killer into his house and risk his family's lives by keeping him away from 'the purgers'.

Stupid thing 3:
    So the neighbours want to kill the whole family because he used the money he earned to make his house nicer???

I SWEAR TO GOD IF THERE WAS A PURGE I WOULD GO AFTER THE PEOPLE WHO MADE THIS FILM AND TORTURE THEM UNTILL THEY GAVE BACK THE 85 MINUTES THAT THEY HAVE STOLEN AWAY FROM ME! ALSO I WOULD POLITELY ASK FOR MY £7 BACK IT COST ME TO SEE THIS PILE OF W*NK!
    WASTE OF FUDGING TIME!
  5. Oct 10, 2013
    It was not exciting, it was really a two scary scenes in it all, I do not know what was in it for horror. A rather weak story seems to have been a low-budget movie.
  6. Nov 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I feel almost cheated with this movie, honestly. It's hard to feel concerned for a character when you know absolutely nothing about them. The only characters I can remember by name (after finishing the movie just seconds ago) was Zoey Sandin. Apart from that I have no idea who anyone was or what their stories were.

The antagonists seemed almost stereotypical in their Power Rangers Villain-esque portrayal, wanting to kill the "homeless pig" for the sake of a class war. This surprises me because in the event that this were a real event, it would more than likely be the lower class exhausting aggression on the upper class for obvious reasons. The antagonists, literally called in the subtitles: Freaks and Polite Leader, were completely bereft of any emotion and seemed to exhibit more of a Sociopathic tendency that you'd more likely see in a serial killer movie.

There wasn't anything lovable about the characters on either side, there was no one that I could honestly relate to and consequentially care about. What really brought it all down hill though was the cultish behavior of the neighbors when they all gathered around to kill the family with a less than concerning prayer of sorts. I wasn't sure if I was watching a Quentin Tarantino movie, at which I would have at least expected a few comedic quips with very serious overarching themes or a movie based on the works of Steven King in which a supernatural occurrence is the source of all the craze, at which point I expected (but was not given) a brazen attempt to convey a psychological aspect of what I would do in that situation.

Suffice to say, the movie fell flat in all aspects other than one thing that made me watch the movie in the first place: An original concept. This isn't something that's been done before and as stated at the beginning of my review, I feel cheated in how poorly it turned out.
  7. Sep 26, 2013
    This was better than I thought it would be. With all the negative comments, I'm glad I ignored them and watched and I enjoyed it pretty much. This is more focused on what if we are in the situation and what would we do? I give this a focus on story and not on the graphics and comical story. I give this one a high rate of @@@@.5 for the story. Give this movie a go and please look on the story and not the graphics. Movie is supposed to be judge by its content not the cover anyway. Expand
  8. Oct 11, 2013
    The Purge is a very underrated movie, this movie has original and fresh ideas, and it capitlizes with flying colors. The Actors are great at dilivering unique and interesting performences. The only downfall to this movie is that its too short. This movie has one of the most memorable villains. This is a sleeper hit for 2013 but i just wish it would have been longer.
  9. Jan 9, 2014
    The Purge falla en muchos aspectos, pero en el que más falla es en el más importante: como contar una historia. El argumento de The Purge demuestra que, aunque Hollywood tiene el cine más conocido y taquillero, me atrevo a decir sin ningún miedo que también tiene el menos original y barato en lo que es storytelling. Si esto puede pasar como "una película de terror y suspenso" puede que yo sea Santa Claus; porque lo absurdo de la película pega duro como una patada baja, y créeme te va a doler por mucho tiempo. Expand
  10. Sep 30, 2013
    Nice and new idea,it reflects how the nature of human is bad and hideous ,and if the chance come to anyone he will kill and revenge I wish there is other part from this movie with more exciting story.
  11. Sep 7, 2014
    One of the worst movie i've seen. Bad acting and character does not know the difference between right and wrong, putting stranger's life before all of their member.Only Ethan Hawk makes the right decision.
  12. Oct 25, 2013
    Un film muy recomendable, una de las mejores películas de la última década, muy bien llevada a cabo con un argumento interesante y muy atrapante. Ya desde el comienzo empieza a atrapar al espectador y en ningún momento se hace densa. Muy buena, recomendable.

JullTheAmazing Argentina
  13. Jul 25, 2014
    Gets one point for having a plot. The Purge is full of contradictions and horrendous moments that involve much stupidity that cannot be taken seriously. The film isn't scary, neither is it enjoyable...do not purchase this film, find some other way to watch it, such as cable or streaming. How a sequel was planned and eventually released boggles my mind.
  14. Dec 23, 2013
    The Purge offers imaginative plot but offer less scares and thrilling scenes which is not likely more of a sufficient thrilling movie and another thing that made this movie less mediocre is that it has a short running time.

It still good to be watched. The sound effects is still on its name. The characters, even though they are not that highly portrayable. They still got little guts.
    Actually, for my opinion, the only thing that raises its popularity was its unbelievable plot which is making all crimes legal within the annual "The Purge" 12 hour period.

The story tells us how a family managed to be secured and protected amidst of violent and chaotic people waiting outside their home that wanted to salvage and kill them. It is now up to them to destroy and kill those people before they killed them.

So overall of my opinion. All that I can say was that this movie is still adequate for family watching.

Rating 4 10
  15. Nov 29, 2013
    A pathetic attempt to scare its audience. The following film is original and the video quality is superb. However, the writers' are amateurs at best. The structure of events are not smartly planned. IN moments of action, the villains take decades to attempt to kill the main characters (family). The concept of the purge itself is quite idiotic. Although it is an imagination, its backing is completely unrealistic. This would've been fine, had the writers not attempted to make the story realistic.

This film is simply another over-hyped film attempting to profit off of a controversial topic... just like project x.
  16. Dec 6, 2013
    I quickly found myself very intrigued by the premise of 'The Purge'- a near future America under the new 'Founding Fathers' political regime. However, my intrigue and excitement soon turned to despair and annoyance as it became clear the film was to focus on a single, white, rich household. I wanted to see the wider stories within 'The Purge', something we only get a taste of on CCTV footage and radio broadcasts at the beginning of the film.The Writer, James DeMonaco, could have done so much more with such an innovative world, yet he took the easy way out by regurgitating the same old modern horror tactics with feeble jump scares and predictable 'plot twists'. The acting too left a lot to be desired. Ethan Hawke who plays James Sandin, the father and lead, does a good job of conveying himself as a morally confused figure; unsure whether to do what is 'right' or what is best for his family. However, you will find yourself frustrated with the acting from Max Burkholder, Adelaide Kane and Lena Heady, the respective son, daughter and wife of James Sandin. The son is meant to be the moral touchstone of the film, yet bland and uninteresting acting from Burkholder failed for this to be conveyed. There is not really a gel between the three, making moments between son and mother or mother and daughter somewhat awkward. Ultimately, we don't really care about their fate when they are thrown into potentially horrible situations. If you are looking for an in depth view into a futuristic world that examines the wider implications of a new and potentially possible regime, you won't find it here. If you are looking for something a bit simpler with occasional moments of excitement, by all means give this film a go. Expand
  17. Dec 12, 2013
    Draws viewers in with an interesting idea, and the first half looks promising, but succumbs to cliches. The second half is boring rather than suspenseful.
  18. Feb 14, 2014
    This was a decent thriller. My heart was pounding in several scenes but I can understand why It's rating is what it is. The film had it's flaws but also had it's good points. Maybe It's just me but I wouldn't trust reviews on this to much. You might you have to watch it yourself
  19. Mar 11, 2014
    the purge is one of the best scary movie i seen all year . but the child who like the hobo in the house is a idiot because he took his families life in danger and almost got killed but i think its kinda cool killing the purge crew . but why would all medical services be closed ?
  20. Mar 10, 2014
    It s a Good film, very good story line, tho it could do with some work, maybe not stuck in one house for the whole movie, the only mistake that annoyed me was it was suppose to be a 12 hour purge but if you pay attention to the times it was Midnight to only 7am, thats 7 hours not 12.......
  21. Jul 19, 2014
    The Purge es sin duda una película que es interesante y que llama la atención por su intrigante sipnosis, y en mi opinión, debió tener mejores críticas de las que tiene por parte del público y crítica.
  22. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    The Purge was pretty good, considering horror movies these days are just boring because most of them just follow the style of Paranormal Activity after it came out, but this wasn't like Paranormal Activity at all. The Purge is original, and you'll actually jump at points.
  23. Mar 29, 2014
    An absolutely fantastic idea totally underutilized. This film follows a family around their house for its duration, a stereotypical game of cat and mouse that the Purge doesn't really bring anything new to. Even worse, it's packed full of forced suspense and cheap 'thrills'. I was hoping the theme of morality would be explored from different angles, but instead it's made very black and white. I found this unbelievable and it distanced me from being immersed in the film as a result. Expand
  24. Apr 16, 2014
    I remember I first heard about this film in an ad before a YouTube video. It started with a voice-over said "Don't skip this ad. You are about to see the trailer for the most disturbing movie of the year." That was a bold statement, considering Evil Dead had already come out and The Conjuring was right around the corner. So naturally, I was curious and didn't skip the ad. One of the first things I noticed was that Ethan Hawke was in the film. I am a fan of Ethan Hawke, and since he was in Sinister a few months prior (one of the scariest films I've ever seen), I was even more curious. Then I noticed the interesting premise about all crime being legal for 24 hours, and as I sat and watched the trailer, I thought "You know, this movie has a lot of potential if they do it right..."

Finally, June arrived and the release date came along, so I saw the film. I was surprised to see a lot of awful acting, bad directing, and a poorly written story. Any and all potential that this premise had was completely wasted. The filmmakers took the premise and did the laziest thing possible: they made it into a cheap slasher flick. The Purge tries to make you feel isolated/alone in a small area with people hunting you, much like how the first Alien movie did. But The Purge relies too much on jump-scares to scare you, which is not a good tactic for horror movies. Good horror has slow-building tension and a release, two things that The Purge has none of.

The characters and the acting are similar in the sense that they're terrible and make you angry. The kids make HORRIBLE decisions, and even in some instances, endanger their own lives. For example, there is a scene where the daughter is upset with her parents, so she walks off, while the people are still invading their house. She risks her life just to act rebellious. Then the people invading the house aren't great either. They all seem to wear masks and act insane to seem creepy. This could have worked, but the moment someone fires a gun at them, they immediately stop acting this way, and they take cover and act like regular people, which gets rid of any creepiness of them possibly being mentally insane.

My final rating for The Purge is a 3/10. I hoped that this movie would at least be worthy of a Redbox rent, but it isn't even worth that. Part of me feels that I went in expecting too much, and I probably did. However, in a way, with the marketing and the premise, I didn't expect too much out of it. If you say that your movie is the most disturbing movie of the year, then you better give me the most disturbing movie of the year.
  25. Sep 8, 2014
    A very cool concept that was not executed well at all. This movie could have been really good but was not set up well and was not interesting at all. I was looking forward to seeing this one even though I have heard a lot of bad things about it, and I was very disappointed with it. Very boring with not very good acting makes this a very poor movie.
  26. Apr 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Brilliant, twisted with a purpose, and incredibly thought-provoking. For starters, those who didn't like the fact that the movie doesn't spoon-fed the viewer answers to life's great mysteries or explain in detail the nature of the human condition, perhaps begin by examining the distinction between "freedom" and "liberty." I've news for folks who say the characters were "two-dimensional," that may be your own reflection, your assertion does not reflect on the film in the least. I've news for folks who say the story was "shallow" or "lacked depth," that is likely a reflection on you, not the writing, the dialogue, the acting, the direction, or the story-line. The manner in which it focuses the subject matter and the existential struggle the film's premise produces, by confining the story to one neighborhood, practically one family's home, leaving the viewer to contemplate the big picture, was nothing short of visionary. I'm not a fan of "slasher flicks" in the least, but this is science fiction and not your average "slasher flick," to suggest otherwise is simply ignorant. Now, as someone with a background in psychology, I could go on for days regarding the probable departures from "reality" statistically. However, the movie is squarely science fiction and in my humble opinion, the film accomplished what good science fiction should accomplish: It invites the viewer to examine themselves and their relationship with the rest of the world, if not the universe. It should make all of us a little uncomfortable, but not simply because of the violence and gore. Kudos to all those involved in making this film. Expand
  27. Apr 20, 2014
    I really dont understand the bad score to this movie. this movie shows the anger hidden from humans and negative feelings they feel each other.
    this movie just says that sometimes, just because it's a homeless, sold more than the others and etc is not necessary to kill.
    Do not tell me "killing is in human nature". kill only animals do to survive. humans do by superfluous interests
  28. Jul 19, 2014
    'The Purge' is definitely one of those movies I went in with way to much anticipation and excitement. Even though the idea was one of my favorite plot ideas in a while, I can’t get over the fact that it was set up to be this crazy and malicious crime spree night, but turned out to be like any other murder movie where the bad guy(s) come, the killing starts, and then the movie is over. In the movie world today, when I here a movie is coming up that has to do with a 12 hour period where all crime (including murder) is legal with no cops or hospitals, I expect it to be freaking awesome, wouldn’t you? Expand
  29. Jul 9, 2014
    Watch this movie. Watch this movie if you like the feeling of anger pulsing through your bloodstream because you gave Ethan Hawke another chance. Because you thought the plot sounded cool, because you wanted to see rich people die.
    If not, leave this one alone, because it is one of the most infuriating movies I have ever had the opportunity to see.
    I wish there was an annual "purge"
    (like that fairy tale BS would fly in any country) so that I could legally execute the talented individuals who brought us this film. Expand
  30. Jul 12, 2014
    This movie is far better than what it has scored from user reviews. Then again all reviews are just opinions even from critics so don't take my word for it. Purge 2 is coming out soon so get spun up on the series!
  31. Jul 15, 2014
    Imagine a world where crime is basically non-existent and almost everyone has a job and is doing well. Imagine this utopia is in the US in the year 2022. Thanks to a night held once a year called The Purge, this is all somehow possible. Any crime is legal for a night every year until morning comes. That is the basic setting for the movie.
    I‘ll cut to the chase. It’s supposed to be a
    horror sci-fi thriller but it fits none of the two supposed genres. It’s a short film (85 minutes) and the first roughly thirty consist of a wealthy Ethan Hawke and his family gearing up for the night. Other events complicate the family’s safety, and finally there are a few actually decent action scenes about an hour into the film and lead to a predictable yet tasteless ending.
    The main villain is a young fella who is the leader of a group of college-aged kids taking part in The Purge (because c’mon, who doesn’t want to kill somebody?) and his acting job is creepily sinister and ends up giving you an overall solid job of being the bad guy. Otherwise, if you come expecting a scary, thrilling, and violent movie, you get none of the first two adjectives and a little bit of the third.
    I will have to say that the idea the movie presents is spectacular. It could be turned into an awesome futuristic film if taken seriously and turned into something serious (maybe down the lines of Looper, Cloud Atlas, etc.) so I’ll give writer-director James DeMonaco that.
  32. Jul 23, 2014
    I cannot believe how disappointing this movie was, I was hoping for a tense horror flick with an interesting premise. It wasn't, it was just one jump scare after another and they were all extremely predictable and cheap. By the 4th jump scare I knew it was coming so I took off my headphones and waited 3 seconds and it came. All the horror movie cliches are there and the victims are incredibly stupid. Stay away from this one and hope that the sequel is better. Although the idea of The Purge is cool the movie itself falls flat on its face.

P.S. The villain in the movie was boring and the ending 'twist' makes no sense and is just there for some more cheap scares.
  33. Aug 1, 2014
    The background isn't credible for adult viewers. Anarchy and fear, even contemporary, can't boost economic growth, nor would criminals choose mostly poor targets under these circumstances. Indeed, the director seems to only try to present the wealthier people as violent and unsympathetic villains and poor and young people as more competent individuals. This kind of plot is all but original.

Acting and surroundings weren't that bad, but one could easily predict which characters were to survive (i.e. every female). Furthermore, extra minus one point for including a horny boy friend just to get killed. Respective cliche is just too common...
  34. Aug 25, 2014
    I give this movie a 4 only because of the originality and so it's sort of worth watching, other than that it's terrible anyone saying otherwise was clearly high while watching. The film has SO many cliche and stupid moments that leave you face palming so hard. I predicted almost every single moment in this film because of how unoriginal it was. To leave spoilers to a minimum let's just say that the characters have a decision where it's either this happens or this and this happens and even though this occurs in both scenarios the characters still have a hard time deciding what to do. And 1 character who keeps screwing everything up and just being an annoyance. When the credits rolled I felt that this amazing idea had just been ruined entirely because they either couldn't think of anything better or because they were plain lazy. Also you could mistake this movie for ANY other movie as it has NOTHING to do with the purge, the only resemblance it has is the beginning and end. I hope anarchy proves better than this... Expand
  35. Sep 2, 2014
    While it has an intriguing premise, and it's an overall suspenseful and enjoyable movie, "The Purge" is loaded with plot holes, inconsistencies, bad acting, shaky cam, and stupid characters. If you can look past all its flaws, I would recommend it.

1. Reviewed by: Rex Reed
    Jun 11, 2013
    As a nauseating variation on the home-invasion theme, The Purge is as sickening as it is dreary.
  2. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Jun 9, 2013
    This is quite possibly the most moronic motion picture I have seen thus far in 2013 and that's saying a lot.
  3. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    Jun 9, 2013
    The Purge isn’t just stupid; it’s also pretentious and often makes no sense.