8.3

1. Aug 27, 2011
    Allen at his most romantic (in terms of romanticism) about film, TPROC is as sweet as a film could be, without being sugary. It's funny, sad, romantic, and quite zany, and catches Allen at his most Chaplinesque. I feel I'm about using the word 'magical' in a review, but I'll generate a substitute for the word, and use that instead.

1. I'll go out on a limb: I can't believe the year will bring forth anything to equal The Purple Rose of Cairo. At 84 minutes, it's short but nearly every one of those minutes is blissful.
  2. Reviewed by: Staff (Not Credited)
    Tale is a light, almost frivolous treatment of a serious theme, as Woody Allen here confronts the unalterable fact that life just doesn't turn out the way it does (or did) in Hollywood films. For all its situational goofiness, pic is a tragedy, and it's too bad Allen didn't build up the characters and drama sufficiently to give some weight to his concerns.
    Woody Allen's naive notions of art--he thinks it means a story with a moral--might have some primitive charm if he didn't put them forward so self-importantly.