Lionsgate | Release Date: April 25, 2014
4.4
Mixed or average reviews based on 44 Ratings
WATCH NOW
MovieReviewsApr 25, 2014
"The Quiet Ones" is nothing original nor you haven't seen before. Despite the messy plot and execution, it is an interesting enough take on the horror genre of its kind, mixing shaky camera style with a 70's buzz, but creating cliches from"The Quiet Ones" is nothing original nor you haven't seen before. Despite the messy plot and execution, it is an interesting enough take on the horror genre of its kind, mixing shaky camera style with a 70's buzz, but creating cliches from films such as The Conjuring & The Haunting in Connecticut. "The Quiet Ones" is not fully recommended, it is messy and familiar, with lots of predictable twists, but if you are into popcorn films, this is one. Expand
csw12May 22, 2014
The Quiet Ones isn't a terrible film and will admit it had moments that were frightening but I began to realize after awhile the director relying on deafening sounds rather than story to scare the audience.
ThegodfathersonApr 26, 2014
What the hell is this? The Quiet ones is a badly acted, directed and it's a migraine of a movie. Sure, the some scares and the story is interesting but after that it goes downhill. Ignore this quiet one. Notes to the director: Shaky cam doesWhat the hell is this? The Quiet ones is a badly acted, directed and it's a migraine of a movie. Sure, the some scares and the story is interesting but after that it goes downhill. Ignore this quiet one. Notes to the director: Shaky cam does not make a movie better, it makes it even worse. Expand
BrianMcCriticAug 21, 2014
The Quiet Ones is an extremely loud and an overall weak effort. There's just to many jump scares and not enough actual scares to justify seeing this film. Not awful just whatever. C-
ScribeHardApr 27, 2014
This is all shock and no plot. Some of the jump scares are incredibly effective, and the filmmakers’ use of the surround sound is some of the best I’ve heard. But unlike walking into a haunted house, where I know I’m simply trying to getThis is all shock and no plot. Some of the jump scares are incredibly effective, and the filmmakers’ use of the surround sound is some of the best I’ve heard. But unlike walking into a haunted house, where I know I’m simply trying to get from Point A to Point B with as many scares as possible, when I walk into a horror film, I need more than scares; I need a complete movie. This film is better served for a Saturday afternoon watch at home. Expand
TheWheresMay 24, 2014
This movie lacks everything. The story is weak, the acting is dreadful besides the main actor. Its not scary other then a few jump scenes. The people stick it out so when they all die, your not a bit surprised. Its not worth a watch. Ive seenThis movie lacks everything. The story is weak, the acting is dreadful besides the main actor. Its not scary other then a few jump scenes. The people stick it out so when they all die, your not a bit surprised. Its not worth a watch. Ive seen better acting on America's funniest home videos. Expand
JohnMasterLNov 4, 2014
No vale la pena, esta película esta hecha por otras 1000 películas mas de este genero; los screamers son baratos, la historia es floja y aburre, los momentos y las cosas que suceden no son nuevas, uno ya sabe lo que va a pasar porque lo aNo vale la pena, esta película esta hecha por otras 1000 películas mas de este genero; los screamers son baratos, la historia es floja y aburre, los momentos y las cosas que suceden no son nuevas, uno ya sabe lo que va a pasar porque lo a visto en otras mil películas iguales a esta, no aporta nada nuevo al genero, mas de lo mismo, pero aburrido y flojo. Expand
REDWOUNov 29, 2014
Such a pointless movie. People would think Texas Chainsaw (2013) was pointless but compared to this, Texas Chainsaw would win the Oscar for Best Picture.
ProfChumleyApr 26, 2014
This is a thinking man's horror film, not a shock or gore fest. In that light this was masterfully done, you're uneasy from start to finish. Loved it.
thatSTERLINkidApr 25, 2014
When you and your buddies can't decide what movie you want to see and you leave it up to a coin toss, things don't always go well. The gesture was done to help us decide between The Quiet Ones and Brick Mansions, two films that alreadyWhen you and your buddies can't decide what movie you want to see and you leave it up to a coin toss, things don't always go well. The gesture was done to help us decide between The Quiet Ones and Brick Mansions, two films that already weren't doing well with reviews but still caught our interest and released on the same day. Obviously The Quiet Ones won, but ever since the opening credits started rolling, I regretted not hopping on the Paul Walker memorial wagon. Stupid coin...

On a somewhat good note, if you weren't expecting anything that separates this from the slew of other movies like it, you may actually be surprised. Unlike the vast majority of movies that are focused on a spiritual demonic presence or possession, The Quiet Ones doesn't dwell on the act of an exorcism to rid the demon(s). Instead, we get a decent story about a group who doesn't even believe in the paranormal, and tries tying those events to mental illnesses that can be fixed through therapy. It was also kind of cool how the film switched back and forth between found footage and cinematic cameras.

Unfortunately, the movies plot was enough to make me drowsy and eliminated just about every positive thing that I could say about it. In terms of how this film implements its scares, I hope your eardrums aren't too sensitive. I've sat through a lot of horror movies that get out some good jump scares from loud noises, but this one definitely takes the prize for being the most obnoxious. Trying to hear in on a a nice conversation between characters? Sike! You won't even be able to hear them finish their sentence, because this movie thinks it's a good idea to cut off dialogue to scare the audience. I mean, it worked a couple times for me, sadly, but still. The worst part is, you don't even see anything that can be connected to that loud noise most of the time. Absolutely nothing can happen, and you get a scare snare... That's what I call them by the way, scare snares.

By the time the film was over, I had my forehead in the palm of my hand and released a couple sighs of disappointment in response to how things ended. Not only did I think it was incredibly ironic for a movie called "The Quiet Ones" to be one of the loudest movies I ever watched, but the way things built up to the end was pretty stale, and the way they came together in the end was far from original in an extremely annoying way... There was also an Olivia Cooke nipple, which was really weird to see in a PG-13 movie, but whatever. Bonus point.

Rating: 2.5/5 [5/10]
Version Seen: Theater (non-3D)
Party Size: 4
Watch It Again?: No
Buying BluRay?: No
Trev29Sep 3, 2014
Entirely unimpressive. The biggest problem was that it was never scary, and that is clearly an important element. Those loud obnoxious noises did not do this movie any favors.
GinaKApr 27, 2014
Muddled and incoherent and an insult to the Hammer Film tradition, where you could at least tell what was basically going on in the old days. The plot of this film started off in one direction and then couldn’t make up its mind where it wasMuddled and incoherent and an insult to the Hammer Film tradition, where you could at least tell what was basically going on in the old days. The plot of this film started off in one direction and then couldn’t make up its mind where it was going. I think the director was trying for surprise, but all he gave us was confusion. Also he constantly jolted us with loud noises, which were not scary but just unpleasantly loud. If I want to hear loud noises for 90 minutes, I will go to a shooting range without ear protectors. A huge disappointment because most horror films these days are at least competently made, even when they are not very original. I am a fan of the genre, but not of this kind of mess. Expand
horcrux2007Apr 12, 2015
For a movie caled The Quiet Ones, it's pretty damn loud. Outside of being generally boring, this is just a string of predictable jump scares without any buildup. It's not completely bad, though. It has some interesting characters and a decentFor a movie caled The Quiet Ones, it's pretty damn loud. Outside of being generally boring, this is just a string of predictable jump scares without any buildup. It's not completely bad, though. It has some interesting characters and a decent story, and there's a pretty good twist at the end. It's on Netflix if you want to watch it, but I don't really recommend it. Expand
GuillermoBMJan 19, 2016
Summary: I just can't believe that this lackluster mess came out from Hammer Productions. 40/100 [C-]

I am not a fan of John Pogue. He directed the Quarantine sequel called Quarantine 2: Terminal, and even though I enjoyed some scenes in its first act, the rest of it was quite tedious and dumb. The Quiet Ones is just as uneven as Quarantine 2, and that was so disappointing. Hammer Productions has made great modern horror films such as The Woman in Black and Let Me In, but this one was such a flop. The movie has an awesome cast, and unfortunately the worst director possible. Moving on, the character development felt extremely rushed and forced. The performances were good, but some of the characters were not developed enough and I did not care about them. Krissi (Erin Richards) and Harry (Rory Fleck-Byrne) were annoying and unlikable.

I just wanted to slap the director because he wasted an incredible cast. Olivia Cooke, Jared Harris and Sam Claflin deserved a better script! Cooke (from the TV show Bates Motel) was stunning. Claflin gave his best too. Thankfully, The Quiet Ones proves two things: do not trust in trailers, and do not trust in Hammer anymore. Overall, it is just your average horror movie with tons of jump scares, a creepy house and brainless characters. It uses an unnecessary found-footage format that does not even add atmosphere or realism to the film. Yes, it boasts a few scares but nothing epic or memorable. Even though I enjoyed a few scenes, I can not recommend it. It was quite average, the best things about it were the performances and the costume design.

I could say that the movie was slightly above average, but the last 10 minutes were just plain bad to me, they were very confusing, stupid and laughable. Also, in the last five minutes there was a scene that has CGI fire, it looked so fake and cheap. As I said the strength of the film was the production value; such as the costumes, camera work and locations. It is a shame that the scares in the trailer looked terrifying, but in the movie itself these scares were silly and hilarious. Anyway, leaving aside its flaws, I actually enjoyed four or five moments in the film, maybe even more, I do not remember. That is why I think that it deserves a decent 2/5 rating. It was not an atrocious movie, my main problem with The Quiet Ones is that wasted its huge potential. [C-]
WJSJan 16, 2015
This movie does have a few effective scares and it's well acted, but the screenplay lacks any sense of narrative and the direction is haphazard at best. I'm still trying to figure it all out.
DCEdmondsJan 20, 2015
"The Quiet Ones" 10 Scale Rating: 4.0 (Bad) ...

"The Quiet Ones" 10 Scale Rating: 4.0 (Bad) ...

The Good: Well-acted all around, especially Jared Harris. In fact, Harris' Professor Coupland was a throwback to old school horror flicks from the 70s and was a great character. The potential for a decent film was definitely there.

The Bad: Sadly, the film is completely boring and I lost interest before the halfway mark. The story itself (which starts off interesting) loses it's way and flails desperately in a failed attempt to scare you. Any drama or intrigue the early stages of the film set up dissipate and you just want it to end.
UrbanlistenerNov 24, 2015
This movie is just a 90 minutes long 10 000 decibels forced jumpscare. But you have to like Jard Harris' performance, the man always manage to deliver.