4.5

1. Apr 25, 2014
    "The Quiet Ones" is nothing original nor you haven't seen before. Despite the messy plot and execution, it is an interesting enough take on the horror genre of its kind, mixing shaky camera style with a 70's buzz, but creating cliches from films such as The Conjuring & The Haunting in Connecticut. "The Quiet Ones" is not fully recommended, it is messy and familiar, with lots of predictable"The Quiet Ones" is nothing original nor you haven't seen before. Despite the messy plot and execution, it is an interesting enough take on the horror genre of its kind, mixing shaky camera style with a 70's buzz, but creating cliches from films such as The Conjuring & The Haunting in Connecticut. "The Quiet Ones" is not fully recommended, it is messy and familiar, with lots of predictable twists, but if you are into popcorn films, this is one. Expand
  2. May 22, 2014
    The Quiet Ones isn't a terrible film and will admit it had moments that were frightening but I began to realize after awhile the director relying on deafening sounds rather than story to scare the audience.
  3. Apr 26, 2014
    What the hell is this? The Quiet ones is a badly acted, directed and it's a migraine of a movie. Sure, the some scares and the story is interesting but after that it goes downhill. Ignore this quiet one. Notes to the director: Shaky cam does not make a movie better, it makes it even worse.
  4. Aug 21, 2014
    The Quiet Ones is an extremely loud and an overall weak effort. There's just to many jump scares and not enough actual scares to justify seeing this film. Not awful just whatever. C-
  5. Apr 27, 2014
    This is all shock and no plot. Some of the jump scares are incredibly effective, and the filmmakers’ use of the surround sound is some of the best I’ve heard. But unlike walking into a haunted house, where I know I’m simply trying to get from Point A to Point B with as many scares as possible, when I walk into a horror film, I need more than scares; I need a complete movie. This film isThis is all shock and no plot. Some of the jump scares are incredibly effective, and the filmmakers’ use of the surround sound is some of the best I’ve heard. But unlike walking into a haunted house, where I know I’m simply trying to get from Point A to Point B with as many scares as possible, when I walk into a horror film, I need more than scares; I need a complete movie. This film is better served for a Saturday afternoon watch at home. Expand
  6. May 24, 2014
    This movie lacks everything. The story is weak, the acting is dreadful besides the main actor. Its not scary other then a few jump scenes. The people stick it out so when they all die, your not a bit surprised. Its not worth a watch. Ive seen better acting on America's funniest home videos.
  7. Nov 29, 2014
    Such a pointless movie. People would think Texas Chainsaw (2013) was pointless but compared to this, Texas Chainsaw would win the Oscar for Best Picture.
  8. Apr 25, 2014
    When you and your buddies can't decide what movie you want to see and you leave it up to a coin toss, things don't always go well. The gesture was done to help us decide between The Quiet Ones and Brick Mansions, two films that already weren't doing well with reviews but still caught our interest and released on the same day. Obviously The Quiet Ones won, but ever since the opening creditsWhen you and your buddies can't decide what movie you want to see and you leave it up to a coin toss, things don't always go well. The gesture was done to help us decide between The Quiet Ones and Brick Mansions, two films that already weren't doing well with reviews but still caught our interest and released on the same day. Obviously The Quiet Ones won, but ever since the opening credits started rolling, I regretted not hopping on the Paul Walker memorial wagon. Stupid coin...

On a somewhat good note, if you weren't expecting anything that separates this from the slew of other movies like it, you may actually be surprised. Unlike the vast majority of movies that are focused on a spiritual demonic presence or possession, The Quiet Ones doesn't dwell on the act of an exorcism to rid the demon(s). Instead, we get a decent story about a group who doesn't even believe in the paranormal, and tries tying those events to mental illnesses that can be fixed through therapy. It was also kind of cool how the film switched back and forth between found footage and cinematic cameras.

Unfortunately, the movies plot was enough to make me drowsy and eliminated just about every positive thing that I could say about it. In terms of how this film implements its scares, I hope your eardrums aren't too sensitive. I've sat through a lot of horror movies that get out some good jump scares from loud noises, but this one definitely takes the prize for being the most obnoxious. Trying to hear in on a a nice conversation between characters? Sike! You won't even be able to hear them finish their sentence, because this movie thinks it's a good idea to cut off dialogue to scare the audience. I mean, it worked a couple times for me, sadly, but still. The worst part is, you don't even see anything that can be connected to that loud noise most of the time. Absolutely nothing can happen, and you get a scare snare... That's what I call them by the way, scare snares.

By the time the film was over, I had my forehead in the palm of my hand and released a couple sighs of disappointment in response to how things ended. Not only did I think it was incredibly ironic for a movie called "The Quiet Ones" to be one of the loudest movies I ever watched, but the way things built up to the end was pretty stale, and the way they came together in the end was far from original in an extremely annoying way... There was also an Olivia Cooke nipple, which was really weird to see in a PG-13 movie, but whatever. Bonus point.

Rating: 2.5/5 [5/10]
    Version Seen: Theater (non-3D)
    Party Size: 4
    Watch It Again?: No
    Buying BluRay?: No
  9. Sep 3, 2014
    Entirely unimpressive. The biggest problem was that it was never scary, and that is clearly an important element. Those loud obnoxious noises did not do this movie any favors.
  10. Apr 27, 2014
    Muddled and incoherent and an insult to the Hammer Film tradition, where you could at least tell what was basically going on in the old days. The plot of this film started off in one direction and then couldn’t make up its mind where it was going. I think the director was trying for surprise, but all he gave us was confusion. Also he constantly jolted us with loud noises, which were notMuddled and incoherent and an insult to the Hammer Film tradition, where you could at least tell what was basically going on in the old days. The plot of this film started off in one direction and then couldn’t make up its mind where it was going. I think the director was trying for surprise, but all he gave us was confusion. Also he constantly jolted us with loud noises, which were not scary but just unpleasantly loud. If I want to hear loud noises for 90 minutes, I will go to a shooting range without ear protectors. A huge disappointment because most horror films these days are at least competently made, even when they are not very original. I am a fan of the genre, but not of this kind of mess. Expand
  11. Apr 26, 2014
    This is a thinking man's horror film, not a shock or gore fest. In that light this was masterfully done, you're uneasy from start to finish. Loved it.
  12. Dec 4, 2014
    Summary: I just can't believe that this lackluster mess came out from Hammer Productions. 50/100 [C]

Hammer latest horror film "The Quiet Ones" is a mixed bag and a very strange flick too. I waited like six months for this crap, the trailer impressed me, it is very well done; unfortunately the film started to receive very bad reviews, so I decided to wait and rent it. First of all, I'm not a big fan of the director John Pogue because he directed the Quarantine sequel called "Quarantine 2: Terminal" and even though I enjoyed some scenes in its first act, most of it was tedious and dumb. The Quiet Ones is as uneven as Quarantine 2 and that is so disappointing because Hammer Productions has made amazing films such as "The Woman In Black" and "Let Me In", but this one was such a miss; they picked an awesome cast but they hired the worst director possible.

Moving on, the character development is extremely rushed and so forced, the performances are fine but some of the characters here are not developed enough and you don't care about them, a perfect example is Krissi (Erin Richards) and Harry (Rory Fleck-Byrne) this couple is annoying and unlikable. I just want to slap the director because he had an incredible cast: Olivia Cooke, Jared Harris and Sam Claflin, they deserve a better script!, Cooke (from the TV show Bates Motel) was stunning, Sam Claflin is so damn good too, he does an excellent job performing his role. Anyway, The Quiet Ones proves two things, never trust in trailers and never trust in Hammer again. Overall, it's just your average horror movie with a lot of jump-scares, a creepy house and brainless characters.

The scariest thing about The Quiet Ones is how well made is the trailer because it makes you believe that this movie is so awesome, an instant horror classic; unfortunately it is the opposite. It also uses an unnecessary found-footage style that doesn't even add atmosphere or realism to the film. Yes, it boasts some inventive scares but nothing epic or memorable, even though I enjoyed the movie (for the most part) I just can't recommend it; but I give it a decent 2.5/5 rating because the acting was excellent and I also liked the costume design and the photography of the movie. Anyway, I'm still mad and disappointed because everything was very familiar to me, it doesn't offer something new to the genre and it wasted its talented cast; it is a strange mix of a lot of horror movies.

I could say that the whole movie was slightly above average but the last 10 minutes were just plain awful to me, they were very confusing, stupid and laughable; also, in the last five minutes there's a scene that includes CGI fire, it looked so fake and cheap. As I said the strengths of the film is the whole production value; such as the costume design, the camera work and the locations, etc. It is a shame that the scares in the trailer looked terrifying, but in the movie itself these "scares" were silly and hilarious. Anyway, leaving aside its flaws I actually enjoyed six or seven moments in the film or maybe more, I don't remember. That's why I think that it deserves a decent 2.5/5 rating, it's not an awful film, my problem with The Quiet Ones is that it wasted its huge potential. [C]
  13. Nov 4, 2014
    No vale la pena, esta película esta hecha por otras 1000 películas mas de este genero; los screamers son baratos, la historia es floja y aburre, los momentos y las cosas que suceden no son nuevas, uno ya sabe lo que va a pasar porque lo a visto en otras mil películas iguales a esta, no aporta nada nuevo al genero, mas de lo mismo, pero aburrido y flojo.

1. Reviewed by: Peter Keough
    May 1, 2014
    The Quiet Ones simply has nothing to say.
  2. Reviewed by: Steve Davis
    Apr 30, 2014
    There’s no sense of trepidation in The Quiet Ones, because suspense requires a cogent storyline to either create or defy the viewer’s expectations. This lack of plausible narrative is either the result of lazy filmmaking or shortcut editing. Either way, you lose.
  3. Reviewed by: Inkoo Kang
    Apr 28, 2014
    Despite its outstanding performances, The Quiet Ones remains the very thing its protagonist scoffs at: a pointless story about “evil begetting evil for the sake of evil.” Evil can be defeated, but emptiness always prevails.