4.8

1. Apr 25, 2014
    "The Quiet Ones" is nothing original nor you haven't seen before. Despite the messy plot and execution, it is an interesting enough take on the horror genre of its kind, mixing shaky camera style with a 70's buzz, but creating cliches from films such as The Conjuring & The Haunting in Connecticut. "The Quiet Ones" is not fully recommended, it is messy and familiar, with lots of predictable twists, but if you are into popcorn films, this is one. Expand
  2. Apr 25, 2014
    When you and your buddies can't decide what movie you want to see and you leave it up to a coin toss, things don't always go well. The gesture was done to help us decide between The Quiet Ones and Brick Mansions, two films that already weren't doing well with reviews but still caught our interest and released on the same day. Obviously The Quiet Ones won, but ever since the opening credits started rolling, I regretted not hopping on the Paul Walker memorial wagon. Stupid coin...

On a somewhat good note, if you weren't expecting anything that separates this from the slew of other movies like it, you may actually be surprised. Unlike the vast majority of movies that are focused on a spiritual demonic presence or possession, The Quiet Ones doesn't dwell on the act of an exorcism to rid the demon(s). Instead, we get a decent story about a group who doesn't even believe in the paranormal, and tries tying those events to mental illnesses that can be fixed through therapy. It was also kind of cool how the film switched back and forth between found footage and cinematic cameras.

Unfortunately, the movies plot was enough to make me drowsy and eliminated just about every positive thing that I could say about it. In terms of how this film implements its scares, I hope your eardrums aren't too sensitive. I've sat through a lot of horror movies that get out some good jump scares from loud noises, but this one definitely takes the prize for being the most obnoxious. Trying to hear in on a a nice conversation between characters? Sike! You won't even be able to hear them finish their sentence, because this movie thinks it's a good idea to cut off dialogue to scare the audience. I mean, it worked a couple times for me, sadly, but still. The worst part is, you don't even see anything that can be connected to that loud noise most of the time. Absolutely nothing can happen, and you get a scare snare... That's what I call them by the way, scare snares.

By the time the film was over, I had my forehead in the palm of my hand and released a couple sighs of disappointment in response to how things ended. Not only did I think it was incredibly ironic for a movie called "The Quiet Ones" to be one of the loudest movies I ever watched, but the way things built up to the end was pretty stale, and the way they came together in the end was far from original in an extremely annoying way... There was also an Olivia Cooke nipple, which was really weird to see in a PG-13 movie, but whatever. Bonus point.

Rating: 2.5/5 [5/10]
    Version Seen: Theater (non-3D)
    Party Size: 4
    Watch It Again?: No
    Buying BluRay?: No
  3. May 22, 2014
    The Quiet Ones isn't a terrible film and will admit it had moments that were frightening but I began to realize after awhile the director relying on deafening sounds rather than story to scare the audience.
  4. Sep 3, 2014
    Entirely unimpressive. The biggest problem was that it was never scary, and that is clearly an important element. Those loud obnoxious noises did not do this movie any favors.
  5. Apr 27, 2014
    Muddled and incoherent and an insult to the Hammer Film tradition, where you could at least tell what was basically going on in the old days. The plot of this film started off in one direction and then couldn’t make up its mind where it was going. I think the director was trying for surprise, but all he gave us was confusion. Also he constantly jolted us with loud noises, which were not scary but just unpleasantly loud. If I want to hear loud noises for 90 minutes, I will go to a shooting range without ear protectors. A huge disappointment because most horror films these days are at least competently made, even when they are not very original. I am a fan of the genre, but not of this kind of mess. Expand
  6. Apr 26, 2014
    What the hell is this? The Quiet ones is a badly acted, directed and it's a migraine of a movie. Sure, the some scares and the story is interesting but after that it goes downhill. Ignore this quiet one. Notes to the director: Shaky cam does not make a movie better, it makes it even worse.
  7. May 30, 2014
    Consensus: The Quiet Ones delivers some surprising scares that horror fans will enjoy, but it handles so many stories at once and the ending is utterly disappointing, plus awful CGI. 60/100 (C+)

Better than i expected, Hammer latest horror film "The Quiet Ones" is a lot of things, it's a very weird film. I waited six months, watching all the trailers and all the clips, but the film
    started to recieve very bad reviews, so i didn't watched it on theatres. First of all, the director sucks, John Pogue is not a good director, he directed the Quarantine sequel "Quarantine 2: Terminal", and it was silly as hell, this one has some scares in the first act, but most of the film is tedious and dumb as The Quiet Ones. It's so disappointing because Hammer always do excellent films like "The Woman In Black" and "Let Me In", but The Quiet Ones was such a miss. They pick the worst director and the best cast. The script is awful too, the film handles with so many stories like romances between the characters, generic stories and loud noises, it's very confusing.

The character development here is extremely rushed and forced, the performances are fine but the characters here are so dumb and a bit annoying especially the unlikable whore Krissi Dalton (Erin Richards) and Harry Abrams (Rory Fleck-Byrne). The trailer is a huge spoiler but it's one of the best trailers i've seen, skip The Quiet Ones, watch the trailer, LOL. The performances are superb but the script is awfully sad, c'mon John Pogue! you have an incredible cast and young talents, they deserve a better script!. Olivia Cook (from the TV show Bates Motel) was stunning, Sam Claflin is so damn good!, he does an excellent job and his character is pretty inocent and likable. Jared Harris was a bit annoying at the final act, but he adds some drama and some madness to the film. The film has some inventive scares but nothing epic, i enjoyed the film (for the most part), that's why i give it 3 out of 5 stars, because i enjoyed it, towards the end all here is pretty cool but then appears here silly homage to carrie, Olivia Cook destroys everything in its path using her telekinetic powers. Here are some very bizarre deaths, but maybe another director this scene could be better.

The Quiet Ones proves two things, never trust in trailers and never trust in Hammer. Overall it's a palpable film and delivers some loud scares, i recommend you to see this film if you're a huge horror fan. Then the last 10 minutes are disappointing and weird, I do not want to ruin, but it was just awful and confusing, the characters here are very confused, and In this last five minutes there's a scene That includes CGI fire and it's awful, well at least the final jump-scare was effective. The film uses an unnecessary found-footage style that doesn't adds atmosphere or tension, the found-footage quickly becomes tedious. The found footage needs good light management, excellent performances and some creative and unexpected scares. The Quiet Ones only has good performances and good light management. The camera direction is excellent, reserved and implicit, when the film is dealing with gore and scares.

The art design is remarkable and well made, the costume design of the characters is splendid spotlight here to Erin Richards' clothes. Moving on, the scares in the trailer are excellent and terrifying, but in the movie itself, these scares are very silly and hilarious. The film deserves an R rating. How in this world this film is rated PG-13?, the film has some sex scenes, gore, disturbing scenes and profanity, well if i'm right this is one of the most violent PG-13 films i've seen.

The Quiet Ones delivers six or seven excellent scares, great scares! also delivers some drama, some predictable slaps and guility pleasures. That's why i give it a 3/5, it's not an awful film, the problem with The Quiet Ones Is that has lots of potential wasted by its awful director, John Pogue just doesn't know how to make a horror film. Just don't make more, please. Visit my blog: www.memobosque.blogspot.mx Twitter: @MemoBosque
  8. Aug 21, 2014
    The Quiet Ones is an extremely loud and an overall weak effort. There's just to many jump scares and not enough actual scares to justify seeing this film. Not awful just whatever. C-
  9. Apr 27, 2014
    This is all shock and no plot. Some of the jump scares are incredibly effective, and the filmmakers’ use of the surround sound is some of the best I’ve heard. But unlike walking into a haunted house, where I know I’m simply trying to get from Point A to Point B with as many scares as possible, when I walk into a horror film, I need more than scares; I need a complete movie. This film is better served for a Saturday afternoon watch at home. Expand
  10. Apr 26, 2014
    This is a thinking man's horror film, not a shock or gore fest. In that light this was masterfully done, you're uneasy from start to finish. Loved it.
  11. May 24, 2014
    This movie lacks everything. The story is weak, the acting is dreadful besides the main actor. Its not scary other then a few jump scenes. The people stick it out so when they all die, your not a bit surprised. Its not worth a watch. Ive seen better acting on America's funniest home videos.

1. Reviewed by: Peter Keough
    May 1, 2014
    The Quiet Ones simply has nothing to say.
  2. Reviewed by: Steve Davis
    Apr 30, 2014
    There’s no sense of trepidation in The Quiet Ones, because suspense requires a cogent storyline to either create or defy the viewer’s expectations. This lack of plausible narrative is either the result of lazy filmmaking or shortcut editing. Either way, you lose.
  3. Reviewed by: Inkoo Kang
    Apr 28, 2014
    Despite its outstanding performances, The Quiet Ones remains the very thing its protagonist scoffs at: a pointless story about “evil begetting evil for the sake of evil.” Evil can be defeated, but emptiness always prevails.