Sony Pictures Classics | Release Date: August 25, 2006
8.7
Universal acclaim based on 109 Ratings
Watch Now
scareahmonsterJan 11, 2014
I wasn't sure about this movie when I decided to watch it on the Lifetime Network (it was the only somewhat interesting thing on) but was blown away. The description given on most sites doesn't do this movie any justice. It took turns youI wasn't sure about this movie when I decided to watch it on the Lifetime Network (it was the only somewhat interesting thing on) but was blown away. The description given on most sites doesn't do this movie any justice. It took turns you never saw coming & it was very intense, sad, scary, real & it leaves you staring at the screen, mouth open & heart racing. My preferred genres don't usually consist of Lifetime dramas (I'm more of a horror, dark comedy, cult classics kinda girl) unless I'm totally out of options but I would own this movie (I'm talking paying cash not free download) if it weren't so underrated & hard to find. Goose bumps. Expand
CarolineL.Sep 1, 2006
Twisted and funny, a little of everything rolled into one, drama, comedy, thriller. Nice to see something different from all the usual stuff. And nice to see something about women directed by a woman.
HenryK.Sep 1, 2006
The critics are really off on this one. It's a blast from start to finish. Thought provoking, dark, and very funny.
KyleJ.Aug 29, 2006
A cult classic like no other, full of macabre humor. I highly recommend it.
KensP.Aug 30, 2006
a compelling and disturbing psychological mind bender.
ChadS.Sep 2, 2006
[***SPOILERS***] If Keenan Ivory Wayans turned his satirical eye on independent film, it might possibly look a lot like "The Quiet", a high school melodrama that brings to mind quite a few films with lofty pedigrees in the most bizarre[***SPOILERS***] If Keenan Ivory Wayans turned his satirical eye on independent film, it might possibly look a lot like "The Quiet", a high school melodrama that brings to mind quite a few films with lofty pedigrees in the most bizarre hodgepodge imaginable. If your main character is deaf, and the soundtrack offers an interior dialogue, you're begging to be compared to "The Piano". And Dot(Camilla Belle) plays the piano! She and her surrogate family are often bathed in blue light as if they're underwater. In the Jane Campion film, Ada nearly drowns with her instrument. Another obvious allusion; the relationship between father(Martin Donovan) and daughter(Elisa Cuthbert; she's no Sarah Polley, but better than you'd imagine), which will stir memories of Atom Egoyan's "The Sweet Hereafter" for anybody who saw it(I was quietly hoping to see a school bus). In an almost "Heathers"-like high school melodrama, you can't get more disparate than those two films. "The Quiet" is not boring. This movie is going to be used for a drinking game when it hits the DVD market. Count on it. Expand
[Anonymous]Sep 3, 2006
tried way too hard & just missed the mark, in my opinion. I kept checking my watch.
ScottMSep 7, 2006
I'm surprised. I usually agree with critics. This film is flawed, as a result of the micro-budget, but is rich and compelling, far more so than I expected. I was very impressed.
NathanL.Feb 14, 2007
Strong performances, the story was okay. But overall, better than I expected.
JLuis_001Nov 11, 2017
Announced as a thriller, treated like a thriller, it tries to be a thriller but it's as problematic as it's melodramatic that any trace of real tension vanishes with astonishing ease.