8.6

1. Mar 29, 2014
    The fight scenes are more brutal this time. In fact I am sure there will be cuts made to retain an R rating. Its raw. It was an amazing theater experience with everyone reacting to every breaking bone, and cheers for every perfectly executed and choreographed fight scene. I really wouldn’t want to spoil anyone’s chance at seeing any of these fights fresh. But that hallway. Oh man thatThe fight scenes are more brutal this time. In fact I am sure there will be cuts made to retain an R rating. Its raw. It was an amazing theater experience with everyone reacting to every breaking bone, and cheers for every perfectly executed and choreographed fight scene. I really wouldn’t want to spoil anyone’s chance at seeing any of these fights fresh. But that hallway. Oh man that hallway. The beautiful choreography shows off the mastery of everyone involved. The visual effects soaked the audience in blood after the choreography severed our spines. This movie will kick your ass and leave you breathless. If the Raid took action back to basics, The Raid 2 beats the basics to death with a hammer. Gareth Evans seems to be calling out names and taking attendance. Hollywood needs to get on this mans level. A compelling cast. Excruciating fights. A narrative that leaves the audience in complete suspense. The Raid 2 is one you need to see. Expand
  2. Apr 2, 2014
    Aiming for "Most Skulls Bashed in a Movie" award, The Raid 2: Berandal unapologetically yet creatively delivers painful display of utter violence. Fights are blazing, choreographed with such precision that each death-inducing blow produces an impact across the cinema. Gareth Evans conducts a cinematic plays stringed by excessive bloodbath, his visions might be over-the-top, but they willAiming for "Most Skulls Bashed in a Movie" award, The Raid 2: Berandal unapologetically yet creatively delivers painful display of utter violence. Fights are blazing, choreographed with such precision that each death-inducing blow produces an impact across the cinema. Gareth Evans conducts a cinematic plays stringed by excessive bloodbath, his visions might be over-the-top, but they will leave both fans of the action genre and casual audience cringe breathlessly.

The prequel had some poor unintentionally funny dialogues, even more so if one understood Indonesian. For this movie, the script has been polished and scenes are constructed more consistently. Granted, it's still troubled by some setbacks of usual action movies', but there are more engaging and personal lines to be had. Acting is improved with the addition of Arifin Putra as Uco, the son of mafia boss who is eager to prove himself. The character is ruthless in his actions and also passionately fueled by ambition and greed, Arifin Putra portrays it well with a hint of doubt or maybe even guilt.

Alex Abbad as Bejo is quite harrowing despite his disability. There's a disturbing untrustworthy feel surrounding the character, the fact that he has legion of assassins make him more treacherous. This army of assassins almost seemingly pops out of some Japanese anime, akin to what inspired Kill Bill's or Matrix's. Among them there are not many that stands out in acting department, what makes them memorable are their choice of weapons and the body count they pile with them. A visually impaired girl swinging double hammers in a subway, that's gold.

Iko Uwais as the leading protagonist performs respectably. He's a man with good ideology and equal ill fate; it's easy to sympathize for his cause. He has done a good job playing a difficult role, but his strength lies in the action sequences. To say that the battles are brutal is an understatement; these warriors unleash pure mayhem on each other. Every broken bones and limbs are executed with much gusto, blood sprayed from all angles, this may very well be the most brutal thing one can see on cinema.

Cinematography is splendid, it's apparent that Gareth Evans was motivated by many Hollywood movies. Scenes are slick, utilizing different camera angles for best view of the action and often time follow it in continuous shot. The cameras seem almost glued to the characters as they rush and rip each other apart, yet they will pan or zoom out just in the right moment for the audience to appreciate the intricacy of the movie's complex action choreography. Its particular car chase scene takes the viewer swirling through the vehicles astoundingly; it's the best chase scene since The Matrix Reloaded.

The Raid 2: Berandal has refined the plot from the prequel and in terms of sheer action carnage none can rival it.
  3. Mar 29, 2014
    Critics giving mixed reviews because of violence, yet they defend the first raid movie in the same breath. Even though the violence is the same. It's ultraviolent. How can you defend one movie, and slate the next, when it's just more of the same? Ignore the critics on this one. Absolutely outstanding. Like literally breathtaking in parts. The end fight? Unbelievable. See it for yourself.Critics giving mixed reviews because of violence, yet they defend the first raid movie in the same breath. Even though the violence is the same. It's ultraviolent. How can you defend one movie, and slate the next, when it's just more of the same? Ignore the critics on this one. Absolutely outstanding. Like literally breathtaking in parts. The end fight? Unbelievable. See it for yourself. 10/10. Easy. Expand
  4. Apr 12, 2014
    BEST ACTION MOVIE EVER!!! Brutality never looked so good! Makes Expendables 2 and Rambo 4 look like Mr.Rodger's Neighborhood. The mix of martial arts and brutal gun fights is awesome. Moreover, very well acted and a good plot! Redefines "kicking ass" to a new level of brutality!
  5. Mar 30, 2014
    This is Awesome fighting movies i've seen ever. Brutal, Gore , & Beauty; Can't wait the sequel the raid 3. Congratulations To Gareth Evans & Best Team Work From Indonesian, Salute; keep keeping guys
  6. Apr 15, 2014
    Director Gareth Hwu Evans got ambitious this time around and failed miserably. Iko Uwais is back, but instead of the non-stop occupation of a building, he goes undercover in a gang and there's a wasted hour of dull, predictable mobster plotting…in subtitles, no less. When the action does happen, it's still full of wild, brutal fighting. This 2 1/2 hour film needs to be watched with aDirector Gareth Hwu Evans got ambitious this time around and failed miserably. Iko Uwais is back, but instead of the non-stop occupation of a building, he goes undercover in a gang and there's a wasted hour of dull, predictable mobster plotting…in subtitles, no less. When the action does happen, it's still full of wild, brutal fighting. This 2 1/2 hour film needs to be watched with a remote control, so you can fast forward thru the unnecessary dialogue and savor the fights. Expand
  7. May 23, 2014
    in a really long time, i never seen a action movie done this perfectly, specially a action sequel! Gareth Evans is one of the only directors who can pull that off and... oh my god! what a incredible sequel! it's 150 minutes of mind blowing fight scenes with a fantastic story line, great characters, great acting, amazing pacing, gorgeous cinematography and a finale that took my breath away!in a really long time, i never seen a action movie done this perfectly, specially a action sequel! Gareth Evans is one of the only directors who can pull that off and... oh my god! what a incredible sequel! it's 150 minutes of mind blowing fight scenes with a fantastic story line, great characters, great acting, amazing pacing, gorgeous cinematography and a finale that took my breath away! "The Raid 2" outdoes the first movie in ever way, shape or form. the way the fight scenes are executed and choreographed were crazy! cause usually, in action movies, the fight scenes are good at first, but then they get repetitive and boring. that NEVER happens in "The Raid 2". every single fight scene gets better and better and better as the movie goes on, making it one of the greatest action movies ever made in the history of movies! also, "The Raid 1" - even though it was fantastic - didn't have much of a plot or character development. on the other hand, "The Raid 2" actually has a fantastic story with a really well-written script by Gareth Evans (god bless you, Gareth!). the characters are a lot more developed this time - which means you care about Rama even more - the dialogue's better and the acting's a lot better. every actor brings his greatest performance in this movie, especially Iko Uwais. the fight scenes... oh my god! it's so damn hard for me to get this amazing fight scenes outta my head. "The Raid 2" was absolutely amazing and mind blowing! it's been such a long time that we've ever seen a action sequel done this perfectly. so if you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and go watch it! Gareth Evans, thanks for everything!
  8. Apr 16, 2014
    This movie will show you good.. bad ass.. action movie. The storyline not bother me at all.. is as simple as mafia story at least i know what’s going on. The fight scene OMG... if you action movie fans you should watch this
  9. Jun 8, 2014
    If you like action, if you like fighting scenes, if you like violence....Why wouldn't you see this? Seriously, it had to live up to the hype of it's predecessor and it actually did it. If you care about story and character development, why would you want to watch this movie? It's pure awesome, and it's not gunning for any academy awards. Let this masterpiece live. Loved it.
  10. Jul 13, 2014
    I've watched a loooot of action movies over the years and I rarely write reviews, but this film stands so far above the genre that it deserves every accolade it can get. This is what movie-making can aspire to be. In fact, it deserves it's own genre - call it poetic carnage...a martial symphony. Just brilliant...from story, to acting, to soundtrack, and most especially, to the greatestI've watched a loooot of action movies over the years and I rarely write reviews, but this film stands so far above the genre that it deserves every accolade it can get. This is what movie-making can aspire to be. In fact, it deserves it's own genre - call it poetic carnage...a martial symphony. Just brilliant...from story, to acting, to soundtrack, and most especially, to the greatest fight choreography I have ever seen. Expand
  11. Jul 15, 2014
    With some of the most brutal and perfectly shot martial arts action ever put into film this is an action movie unlike any other. It's tense, bloody, and almost unrelenting, barely leaving time for you to breath. It even bests it's already outstanding predecessor, not just in the fight scenes, but with a much more complex plot. The narrative is incredibly tight and keeps the scenes betweenWith some of the most brutal and perfectly shot martial arts action ever put into film this is an action movie unlike any other. It's tense, bloody, and almost unrelenting, barely leaving time for you to breath. It even bests it's already outstanding predecessor, not just in the fight scenes, but with a much more complex plot. The narrative is incredibly tight and keeps the scenes between the action just as enjoyable. This is the new high-bar for action movies and truth be told we might never see another movie reach it. It's an absolute masterpiece and one you need to watch. Expand
  12. Apr 24, 2014
    Wow wow wow. I was a big fan of the original and couldn't wait for this release. I felt that it topped the original. A big factor were the beautiful visuals, much less possible in the limited dinginess of the first locale, set in a tenement. The fight scenes here are incredibly choreographed and filmed. The feeling I had leaving the theater was that I had ridden the scariest roller coasterWow wow wow. I was a big fan of the original and couldn't wait for this release. I felt that it topped the original. A big factor were the beautiful visuals, much less possible in the limited dinginess of the first locale, set in a tenement. The fight scenes here are incredibly choreographed and filmed. The feeling I had leaving the theater was that I had ridden the scariest roller coaster in the world 50 times in a row. Highly recommended for action aficionados but this movie is not for the squeamish. I had to cover my eyes for one particularly sadistic scene and I can watch most horror movies without batting an eye. Enjoy the ride! Expand
  13. Nov 4, 2014
    A true masterpiece in the world of martial arts films. As an absolutely huge martial arts fanatic, I am proud to have seen some of the greatest martial arts films ever created from the old brilliant classics such as One-Armed Swordsman or Seven Samurai to the new timeless treasures such as Ip Man or 13 Assassins.
    Having made it my goal to see some of the best martial arts films this world
    Having made it my goal to see some of the best martial arts films this world has to offer, I can safely say that this movie goes into my TOP 10 movies of all time list.
    The simple yet exciting story from the first Raid film was made a bit more complex and fleshed out in this stimulating and dramatic sequel. Gareth Evans truly outdid himself with his fantastic writing and directing in this piece. The story had the perfect balance of drama and action which isn't easy to accomplish, and when the action did come, it blew me away! The fight choreography and absolutely brutal combat in the first film was fantastic, to be able to go to the next level and still keep it fresh is no small feat! The fighting didn't seem too ridiculous as a lot of martial arts films tend to do (but we still enjoy seeing it), it seemed more realistic and more efficient, which is what Pencak Silat is all about, a wonderful martial art used in creative and spectacular ways. The cinematography and editing in this movie is also something I really enjoyed, everything was perfect in those aspects, used to really make the story telling more clear and thrilling.

There aren't many martial arts films these days that can REALLY impress me these days, but this did it. Can the 3rd Raid film top this? While that seems impossible, knowing Gareth Evans, the brilliant Iko Uwais and the team, they can do it.
  14. Jul 5, 2014
    Every punch, kick, stab, hit, cut, throw, slam and more are delivered with detail, eye-opening gore and such precision its startling. This movie is not for the weak stomached, it is brutal and unrelenting in its fight sequences. The story was engaging from the get go with many different characters (e.g. Hammer Girl & Baseball Bat Man) to keep you hooked, all of which acted extremely wellEvery punch, kick, stab, hit, cut, throw, slam and more are delivered with detail, eye-opening gore and such precision its startling. This movie is not for the weak stomached, it is brutal and unrelenting in its fight sequences. The story was engaging from the get go with many different characters (e.g. Hammer Girl & Baseball Bat Man) to keep you hooked, all of which acted extremely well for their roles. The fighting in this movie is like no other, I can assure you of that. From the beginning of the film to the very end I could not believe how perfect each hit connected and was countered, most of which ended up in a bloody mess, and I loved it! If you love action films with a lot of fighting and gore, this movie is as close to perfect as you can get. Expand
  15. May 24, 2014
    Straight up brutal and intense action. You get your moneys worth as the action is some of the best every filmed. The story is actually interesting. An improvement from the first film. Go watch it.
  16. Apr 14, 2014
    Please tell me this is the most popular movie out right now. Please, it deserves to be. This movie is without a doubt my favorite fighting film since Bruce Lee's and Tony Jaa's work. This is the best action movie in a long time. To understand why this movie is so amazing you really have to be a fan of martial arts or kung fu movies. A movie with a camera positions that's actually zoomedPlease tell me this is the most popular movie out right now. Please, it deserves to be. This movie is without a doubt my favorite fighting film since Bruce Lee's and Tony Jaa's work. This is the best action movie in a long time. To understand why this movie is so amazing you really have to be a fan of martial arts or kung fu movies. A movie with a camera positions that's actually zoomed out far enough to see everything. Actors actually punching/kicking each other (not hard obviously) to really make it look legit. Fight choreography, that you can't see being choreographed. Awesome old school car stunts with real stunt men. Man I'm so happy right now, I haven't seen a movie this awesome in a while. The undercover cop isn't anything new but the way they made their spin on it is perfect. I know they are Indonesian but I they seem like Yakuza to me with their traditions, honor, fighting instead of guns and pride for their territory.

So details (no spoilers don't worry) Raid has always been high paced fast gory action. I enjoyed the Raid Redemption but as far as overall cinematic quality goes it was just gory awesome fighting, without context we won't really care who's fighting who. But Raid 2 provides that context and makes you immersed in it's story and characters. Honestly, I don't mean any offense but I'm surprised this was made by the same people. This movie has amazing shots and they give a great sense of character development by showing us who they are. So Raid 2 not only stands on a high leg from it's amazing action but the cinematic quality is just beautiful. The sad moments really are tragic and the actors display raw emotion which help builds the tension and atmosphere of a scene. And when a character is supposed to be blank, cold and brutal you see that too. Baseball bat boy... oh man he's awesome. The imagery in this film is just perfect. I really don't know what else to say. Yes it's a gory film, over gory? Maybe but it's realistic, if you shoot someone in the face with shotgun they won't have a tiny whole in their head... it will be in pieces everywhere. So I don't see over gory as much as somewhat realistic. Oh it has a lot of gory scenes but I don't think it's over the top.

Please go see this movie, it deserves your money. It works hard for your money. It wants you to have a good time. And a good time you will have. Seriously I want to see more movies like this.
  17. Apr 2, 2014
    This is Awesome fighting movies i've seen ever. Brutal, Gore , & Beauty;Can't wait the sequel the raid 3. Congratulations To Gareth Evans & Best Team Work From Indonesian, Salute; keep keeping guys
  18. Apr 4, 2014
    I know what you want to hear. You want to hear that The Raid 2 is bigger, badder and bolder than the first one. That somehow Gareth Evans managed to up his game exponentially in this sequel to one of the most gloriously violent movies of all time. To his credit, The Raid 2 is in every way a bigger more ambitious movie, offering a more elaborate story, a slew of new characters, and biggerI know what you want to hear. You want to hear that The Raid 2 is bigger, badder and bolder than the first one. That somehow Gareth Evans managed to up his game exponentially in this sequel to one of the most gloriously violent movies of all time. To his credit, The Raid 2 is in every way a bigger more ambitious movie, offering a more elaborate story, a slew of new characters, and bigger battle ratios. But sometimes more isn't better; it's just more.

The Raid 2 picks up shortly after the story of The Raid: Redemption left off. Rama (Iko Uwais) has brought Lieutenant Wahyu (Pierre Gruno) to the authorities; the wounded Bowo (Tegar Satrya) is promptly excused to receive medical care. Then, a special internal branch of the police force offers Rama a dangerous mission he can't turn down. They want to topple the organized crime of Jakarta, and to do it they need an inside man. So, Rama goes undercover in prison to befriend Uco (Arifin Putra), the spoiled, power-hungry son of a top crime boss. Upon the pair's release, a power struggle ignites that makes Rama's real identity the least of his worries.

First off, it needs to be said that The Raid 2 is a sequel in only the most ornamental of terms. Evans, who wrote and directed the action-packed thriller, races to cut out every surviving character from the first film--save Rama--in the first ten minutes. From there, Rama's arc is overshadowed by the brooding quest of Uco to prove himself as a man/crime boss. Further muddying the waters of this so-called sequel is the recasting of Yayan Ruhian, who memorably played Mad Dog in the first film. He's back as a different hit man named Prakoso, this one cloaked in a ratty beard and bolstered with a tragic backstory. It's great to see him--and his outstanding martial arts skills--again, but it's nonetheless jarring. Really, The Raid 2 could too easily have been an entirely separate Jakarta-set crime drama chock-full of brutal battle scenes and a convoluted plot. But this could have been fine if it weren't so bogged down by too many ideas.

The Raid: Redemption was a slick and satisfying movie that not only offered stupendous and sickening fight scenes but also a tight plot that perfectly fueled the narrative. In the sequel, Evans once more offers jaw-dropping fight scenes full of surprises and lightning fast hand-to-hand combat, plus generous sprays of CGI blood. But they aren't as all-around successful this time. Part of the problem is the settings. In the first film, one battle after another broke out in dingy, grey apartments that were nearly identical. With nothing much to look at in the setting, audiences were able to tune in on the gloriously intense fight choreography. But when Evans throws his fighters in a flashy hibachi restaurant or a sprawling pit of mud packed with rioting prisoners, it's difficult to narrow in on the action, and the impact is lost.

Still, the bigger problem is that these fight scenes are nested in an overly complicated mafia plot that bloats the running time to 150-minutes. As Uco strolls through a predictable pattern of frustration to betrayal, his and Rama's story is staggered by fight scenes, which makes them feel shockingly episodic. Worse yet, because so much attention goes to Uco's lackluster thread, other more intriguing elements--flashy new assassins Prakoso, Hammer Girl, and the less eye-catching Baseball Bat Man --are woefully underdeveloped. Sure, Hammer Girl looks cool as hell in the trailers, but don't expect much more than that.

Don't get me wrong: The Raid 2 offers exactly the kind of pulse-pounding, mind-snapping fight scenes we came to expect because of the sensational original. But Evans had no editing eye when it came to shaping his story, and as such the film feels more like a rant than a cohesive narrative, or a powerful part two to Rama's tale. There are just too many ideas here. Rama's adventure is sidelined for Uco's story. Uco's story eats up tons of screentime, leaving little room for the proper development of the sequel's more compelling characters, or even a solid build for Rama's thread. The lop-sided narrative deadens the emotional impact of the deadly finale. As someone who was positively crazy over The Raid: Redemption, it pains me to say it, but The Raid 2 is half wildly entertaining, and half a slog. BEST ACTION MOVIE EVER !
  19. Apr 12, 2014
    I enjoyed the first Raid very much and hoped that this one would top it. I was right, because this sequel improves from the first one, but still has some flaws. Although I don't think the story is what everyone who came to see this movie were raving about.

The fight sequences in this film are INCREDIBLE and will take your breath away at how expertly choreographed the fights are. The final one at the end is jaw-dropping and is amazing.

While the fight sequences are the main highlight of this film, the story is okay. The simple premise is the same as the last one. Although this sequel edges over the first movie with the story, as there is more character development, which is a great improvement.

Overall, if you're a sucker for action films that have some awesome fight sequences, this is a must-see for you.
  20. Apr 15, 2014
    Gareth Evans abandons the terse claustrophobia of the original film and goes for a sweeping Asian crime epic. Even with 150 (!) minutes, the story fails. Much if the action is great, but even some of that is too big (think the muddy prison yard scene) for the director to handle.
  21. Jun 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Best Action Movie Ever in the History of the Universe! WOW!!
    The fight scenes are so good that I actually thought it was real! Uhmmm..Im still thinking..is it real??? Gosh! You got to tell me now if the actors are still alive after the movie...!!! Well..to be honest I am just not happy with how it end though..definitely there's a third sequel. I'm gonna have to wait for that! (sigh) I feel for the characters its really a twisted game of ass-kicking! I love Rama! Marry me! =)
  22. Jul 31, 2014
    Some Welsh lad went to Indonesia and directed one of the best action movie ever made. He builds tension during the fight scenes, using music and escalating the violence until it becomes, as one critic called it 'probably the most violent film ever released in theaters.' It will make you wince at points, no doubt, but it's completely beautiful and masterful in it's execution. You reallySome Welsh lad went to Indonesia and directed one of the best action movie ever made. He builds tension during the fight scenes, using music and escalating the violence until it becomes, as one critic called it 'probably the most violent film ever released in theaters.' It will make you wince at points, no doubt, but it's completely beautiful and masterful in it's execution. You really hate the bad guys and don't mind as much when they get brutalised. The choreography and inventiveness of the action scenes are unparallelled in any film. You won't have seen anything like this. The director is a genius in my opinion. The end fight, as you'd expect, is spectacular! I can't stop watching the Raid 1 + 2. Please let there be a 3!! Expand
  23. Jul 16, 2014
    My only complaint is that it could do with an action replay sometimes, just so I can savour those 'Oh my days' moments. This sentence is totally irrelevant.
  24. Sep 21, 2014
    Did you like Ong Bak 1 & 2?
    Did you love the moment when the mountain crushed the eyes of the red viper in GOT?
    Then you gotta see this! With some of the most brutal and perfectly shot martial arts action ever put into film this is an action movie unlike any other. It's tense, bloody, and almost unrelenting, barely leaving time for you to breath. This is the new high-bar for action
    Did you like Ong Bak 1 & 2?

Then you gotta see this!

With some of the most brutal and perfectly shot martial arts action ever put into film this is an action movie unlike any other. It's tense, bloody, and almost unrelenting, barely leaving time for you to breath. This is the new high-bar for action movies and truth be told we might never see another movie reach it. It's an absolute masterpiece and one you need to watch.
  25. Sep 21, 2014
    Totally forgettable when compared to the first Raid. It doesn't even seem like it's from the same director.
    Either the first Raid was created by luck or forced neatly into a well edited smaller film for budgetary reason or Evans is a one hit wonder.. (critically speaking.) The Raid 2 is a mess and the fights are ridiculous and not in good way. It's departed from the possible into cartoon violence.. The script is 10 times too busy and the film is way too long. Very disappointed.
  26. Apr 9, 2014
    This is one of the most awesome films ever made. It'll made you shart in your seat. The deaf hammer girl and funny baseball bat boy could have had more scenes but then again, the movie is already 2 and a half hours of the best fight scenes ever filmed. The acting and story is also surprisingly good! Gareth Evans wrote this story before The Raid: Redemption but producers said it was tooThis is one of the most awesome films ever made. It'll made you shart in your seat. The deaf hammer girl and funny baseball bat boy could have had more scenes but then again, the movie is already 2 and a half hours of the best fight scenes ever filmed. The acting and story is also surprisingly good! Gareth Evans wrote this story before The Raid: Redemption but producers said it was too epic of a crime thriller that they would need to build a fan base before they could afford to produce it. They build that fan base after the first film. Now we can't get enough. Watch 'Merantau' if you want to see the first film Gareth Evans and his warrior actors were ever in. Also Iko Uwais (Rama) is one of the bad guys in Man of Tai Chi. Expand
  27. Jun 14, 2014
    One of the best action movies of all time. It made me feel like a kid again as my jaw was left hanging scene after scene - it's insane & really really well made.
  28. Aug 25, 2014
    I didn't like the "story" elements, the dialogs were stupid and the "drama" sequences were lame and they took 2/3 of the screen time. I think this attempt to mix awesome action movie with criminal drama failed. On the other hand the fights and the filming are still top notch.
  29. Jun 22, 2014
    Bigger, Louder, Longer. Better? No! The first was awesome, great. But this was a bigger budgeted rehash lacking by comparison. I really didn't like the plot here at all, it was nonexistent. I didn't like the hammers or the baseball bat, lacking in practical function, some other sequences were quite drawn Although.an enjoyably entertaining ride to be re-watched. But not as thrilling asBigger, Louder, Longer. Better? No! The first was awesome, great. But this was a bigger budgeted rehash lacking by comparison. I really didn't like the plot here at all, it was nonexistent. I didn't like the hammers or the baseball bat, lacking in practical function, some other sequences were quite drawn Although.an enjoyably entertaining ride to be re-watched. But not as thrilling as the first so cannot be rated higher. Expect another franchise here turning into 3D splatter.... Expand
  30. Aug 9, 2014
    Much better than the first movie, I mean a lot seriously. Many people liked the first, but I was not because it was not my type. There was no story in it, but a game style of presentation which focused mainly on stunts and I had seen better than that. For a sequel to that, I mean this movie was no chance to complain about in any level. The story, stunts, performances, direction all wereMuch better than the first movie, I mean a lot seriously. Many people liked the first, but I was not because it was not my type. There was no story in it, but a game style of presentation which focused mainly on stunts and I had seen better than that. For a sequel to that, I mean this movie was no chance to complain about in any level. The story, stunts, performances, direction all were top notch and easily can surpass to grab the title for 'this year's best martial art/stunt movie'. I had no expectations before a watch and after a watch got so excited for having it.

After completing somewhat a successful rescue mission that took place in a tenement run by a ruthless gangster, now Rama is assigned to a new undercover operation. Temporarily says goodbye to his regular life and to his wife. To get in a position it takes months of hard work and he successfully makes into one of the members of the gang that he's after. Soon the ideas vary like to initiate new techniques to rule the underworld makes crack within the mob family. So the clash happens randomly to take over the top position from one another. In between the cop's role and the final stand brings the result to this story with plenty of awesome stunt sequences.

Worth to spend our time for this 150 minute long movie, especially if you are the greatest fan of the mixed martial arts then you got a solid reason to go for this. For every 10-15 minutes there is one stunt sequence, all I can say is it was very well patterned in a decent story. Yes, the story was not a brand new, it was what we have already seen many times in the Japanese Yakuza, Hollywood, European et cetera undercover cop stories. But to see the new cast from the new region of the earth's surface it was fantastic. I have not seen many Indonesian movies, so probably this could be the best movies from there to the international standards. This country should take cues from this movie to make consistent from now on like what Tony Jaa's movies did for Thai movies.

‘‘We may be after the same thing...
    ...But I'm not going to follow the path as you to get there.’’

Regarding the undercover cop theme, the lead character Rama was not the superior, but individually, many characters had produced incredible equality by exhibiting breathtaking stunt skills. Truly to say Rama vanishes in between all these guys. He's used only for the opening and the end portions, that's it. So that means this movie is beyond his presence that will definitely surprise the viewers. The gore was very strong, focused too deep details like ripping skin, breaking bones, smashing heads, hammering. Definitely there is going to be another sequel and my expectations rose high for that. There should be no 'I missed it' or 'not seen yet' in the mouths of movie fanatics because it is a must see.
  31. Oct 10, 2014
    This was so awesome. The choreography and editing on the fight scenes may be the best that has ever been done in cinema. Insane "finish him" moves throughout. I don't think I've ever exclaimed out loud more times while watching a movie.
  32. Aug 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I personally was very disappointed with the raid 2.
    Ok the violence is impressive, sort of I suppose, but in 2 as opposed to 1 where it was over the top it still made you want to stay on the side of what you allow or forgive the film for, because it was exciting and tense and the film has you on it's side cheering along in a thrilling roller-coaster ride.
    In 2 the violence is comical in parts( It took 20 men 2 minutes to break a flimsy toilet lock! I mean WTF was that about? The plot is like watching paint dry and is all over the place. Instead of an original exciting film like the raid you get a second rate crime thriller with very few thrills and really bad dialogue and acting.
    The film was too big for all concerned and is an obvious cash in on the raid which was a genuine classic little gem of a film.
    People who are giving this film high marks are kidding themselves.
    Sure if you liked the action of the raid you'll like the action here though it doesn't fit to any plot really, that's if there was a plot but personally I wanted another original thrill ride where all I got was Cliqued silly nonsense with some good action scenes if you took them for what they were, they certainly don't serve the plot as the plot ( laughable ) is only there to serve up the action which is the wrong way round if you want to make great cinema.
    Think of The Hostel and the Hostel 2 and you'll get what I mean by the raid and the raid 2.
  33. Sep 23, 2014
    You have to see it to believe . Garth Evans added some beautiful, non fighting, scenes in this sequel , that managed to balance the violence , and saved the film from an overkill feel . And don't worry , the jaw dropping fights are still here . Garth Evans has raised the bar on how to make a martial arts film , I wonder how his next film will be , and will he move to Hollywood ?
  34. May 19, 2014
    Incredible! I loved this film thoroughly from beginning to end. The fight scenes are amazingly choreographed and the screenplay is great. Go see this movie.
  35. Apr 20, 2014
    I watched this last night,with some anticipation.I saw the first one twice I liked it so much.Sadly the second one was not quite up to expectations,a bit too long and a little overdramatic at times. Some nice touches though and more violent than the first one, a good story though. I hope they don't make a third!
  36. Jul 26, 2014
    Wow. What a sequel - this is how to do a martial arts movie! Uwais' fighting skills are incomparable. I'm apprehensive about some of the violence.. but most of the time it's all in good fun. Evans' film language is confident, and the ante is upped by adding more locations, with many a wild setpiece, and a colorful cast of memorable characters sport machetes, baseball bats, shotguns, uzis,Wow. What a sequel - this is how to do a martial arts movie! Uwais' fighting skills are incomparable. I'm apprehensive about some of the violence.. but most of the time it's all in good fun. Evans' film language is confident, and the ante is upped by adding more locations, with many a wild setpiece, and a colorful cast of memorable characters sport machetes, baseball bats, shotguns, uzis, broken bottles and whatnot. The crazy, energetic action is even buttressed by a pretty decent gangster saga. Expand
  37. Apr 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you are outside your own country be careful some odd things could happen with you or with someone else on the street. Local brigand could start war or other unbelievable stuff.
    A lot of fights, death, blood and broken legs or other parts of your body. Only one thing was little bit strange, why you use your fists first than gun and other weapons?
    It understandable in prison where hardly you can find weapon, but in real life when you are member of local band it is possible to find one or just few or government not allowed you to have one?
    Movie for those who want see the good fights maybe not so real, but still good.

have a good time watching Raid the Second.
  38. Apr 29, 2014
    Feels very much like other martial arts films of its timeframe of production (Ong Bak, The Protector) comes to mind in terms of balancing story and fight sequences. Not as predictable as the two aforementioned but most certainly not as groundbreaking as the first Raid film, primarily because of its imitiation to it.
  39. Jul 26, 2014
    Is good movie but isn't masterpiece for one time is very cool i recommend to si this movie.
    The fight scenes are more brutal this time.
    If you like action you need to see this movie.
  40. May 1, 2014
    this film was the most brutal movie I ever seen, this movie was great since kill bill series, the story line was not pretty bad, but the violence and gore is so fantastic and so traditional, I like this movie
  41. Apr 11, 2014
    Just watched this movie a few hours ago and all I can say is OMG!!!! Best all round film of the year so far for me. I cannot recommend this movie enough! If you haven't already seen it go see it now!
  42. Apr 27, 2014
    Be aware, this film is The Raid 2, not The Raid the second. The difference being, people should not expect more of the exact same, this franchise has evolved.

The film picks up about half an hour after the first one, with the hero, Rama, now having to go undercover to find more corrupt cops and protect his family. If The Raid could be likened to films such as Assault on Precinct 13

If The Raid could be likened to films such as Assault on Precinct 13 then the second film can be described as part Infernal Affairs, part The Godfather. The action is still there, extreme and over the top (not a complaint), but Evans has still kept the tension that made the original so extraordinary.
    The final fight scene is immense and superior to the confrontation in number one between Rama and Mad Dog. Where that was raw and gritty, The Raid 2 produces an exchange that is technically amazing and visually stunning.

I was worried that stretching the run time from 100 minutes to two and a half hours would damage the film. Although the film could easily be trimmed down by about 30 minutes, I wasn't sitting in my seat praying for the end; the balance between action and tension kept my interest until the very end.
  43. Sep 17, 2014
    The action's not as good, the story is illogical, and the movie only takes advantage of the 1st movie's appeal.Instead of making a quality movie, they went with more gore, and a silly story that clearly defines the good guys from the bad, because that's easier I guess. Most of the action isn't choreographed well and has characters waiting to fight one at a time just to be dismembered inThe action's not as good, the story is illogical, and the movie only takes advantage of the 1st movie's appeal.Instead of making a quality movie, they went with more gore, and a silly story that clearly defines the good guys from the bad, because that's easier I guess. Most of the action isn't choreographed well and has characters waiting to fight one at a time just to be dismembered in an incredibly violent way. The 1st movie had a simple story that allowed for a variety of subplots. R2 has a complicated story, complicated subplots, and you won't care about any of it, or any of the characters. No one is a hero, No one is a villain, except for the really violent ones(which is everyone). Also, rather than making the fights art, they are gore. It's as if the producers heard people saying they liked when in the 1st movie, so they made a film of finales. The rest of the film is a collection of introductions to characters about to die. This guy is good, so his death matters, this one is violent and a villain, this one too. Are you happy they died? Are you sad? As a fan of the 1st movie, I'm just disappointed. Expand
  44. Oct 22, 2014
    Filled to the brim with intense fight scenes and unique bad guys for the protagonist (Iko Uwais) to fight through, the anticipated sequel to Gareth Evan's "The Raid" or "The Raid: Redemption" is better than the first. The action and fight scenes are bigger now that the stakes are no longer in a dingy hotel but in the actual city. You will feel motivated to fight the nearest bully closestFilled to the brim with intense fight scenes and unique bad guys for the protagonist (Iko Uwais) to fight through, the anticipated sequel to Gareth Evan's "The Raid" or "The Raid: Redemption" is better than the first. The action and fight scenes are bigger now that the stakes are no longer in a dingy hotel but in the actual city. You will feel motivated to fight the nearest bully closest to you after watching this. Expand
  45. Aug 10, 2014
    One of the BEST of all Time and last 2 Decades and MUST SEE!!!!
    I saw this movie over 2 months ago when first hit the screens. I was floored then. I sent a Facebook shot out to family and friends to watch this movie (I rarely do that on movies) I kept prodding my sister to watch so we finally loaded it for another family night movie. ( no children in house )
    I am really not sure what in
    One of the BEST of all Time and last 2 Decades and MUST SEE!!!!
    I am really not sure what in the hell the 11 people so far that had someone bad to say about this movie were actually smoking because this movie has now set the standard so far up on the bar, it will be almost impossible to let alone equal this movie let alone beat it!!!!!!! Lets start with the storyline that was not only genius, fluent and seamlessly continued from the Raid 1. New characters were introduced without any plausibility of why they were in this masterful plot of corruption and revenge. Lets now move on to how the artistic, visual and choreographic masterpiece this brilliant director transferred his imagination to the big screen. TRULY UNMATCHED so far.

Now lets get to the nitty gritty!!! The Beautiful and ( yes Masterful is being used again) Masterful FIGHT SCENES! !! COUNT THEM at lease 10 !! Again, count them!! 10 brilliant awesome non stop action martial arts fight scenes that not even Enter The Dragon (sorry Bruce) could even come close to. The visual angles combined with the brutality and gore of impacts simply left you oooooing and **** after each killer finishing moves!!! There is one fight scene where the director did such a incandescent job at combining rhythmic tribal track with a luminous visual artistry to a brutal fight scene. This movie as said is not for the faint of heart nor children. True action lovers will add this movie to their list of must see , and will always see movie list. Hands down!! This movie is in its own stratosphere! !!
  46. Sep 23, 2014
    Struggling for words to describe this movie, it must be the new standard against which all martial arts movies are measured. Maybe even the new standard for all action movies. The final scene was literally jaw-dropping, as it blew me away. The build-up in terms of intrigue, character development and fighting intensity was also outstanding. It was a really good movie, not just aStruggling for words to describe this movie, it must be the new standard against which all martial arts movies are measured. Maybe even the new standard for all action movies. The final scene was literally jaw-dropping, as it blew me away. The build-up in terms of intrigue, character development and fighting intensity was also outstanding. It was a really good movie, not just a collection of fight-scenes. But then again, even if it was just a collection of fight scenes it would also be OK, because the fight scenes were just beyond anything I have ever seen. Evans has immense talent, he has just made the greatest martial arts movie ever, and I think there is more to come. Wow Expand
  47. Oct 5, 2014
    4/5★ Improves on the prequel in every way. Where Raid: Redemption had great action yet little plot or dialogue, Raid 2 is a twisted crime drama and action packed, with inventively brutal fight sequences that are beautifully shot and choreographed. There are Tarantinoesque touches that fans will appreciate.
    Verdict: Buckle up and enjoy.
  48. Nov 22, 2014
    Awesome fights on movie. Brutal, terrifying, dramatic, and cool actions, I like the way its camera rolled. Even with no English, I still can figured it out the stories. Recommended to watch this movie.

1. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Apr 11, 2014
    This newer installment is every bit its predecessor's match as far as action goes. Where it exceeds it, however, is in the between-the-fights moments.
  2. Reviewed by: Adam Nayman
    Apr 10, 2014
    Gareth Evans’s sequel to his surprise 2011 hit takes the original’s basic formula – lots of people pounding on each other in close quarters – and simply stretches it over a much longer running time.
  3. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    Apr 10, 2014
    Miraculously, the new picture makes the old one feel like Evans was just warming up.