Sony Pictures Classics | Release Date: March 23, 2012
8.2
Universal acclaim based on 307 Ratings
WATCH NOW
CalibMcBoltsMay 30, 2016
'The Raid: Redemption'' is an indonesian made martial arts/action thriller that is all about violence. All violence. Wall-to-wall violence. Against many of those walls, heads are pounded again and again into a pulpy mass. If I estimated the'The Raid: Redemption'' is an indonesian made martial arts/action thriller that is all about violence. All violence. Wall-to-wall violence. Against many of those walls, heads are pounded again and again into a pulpy mass. If I estimated the film has 15 minutes of dialogue, i think i would be generous.
But then again, what does my opinion matter, it is highly rated on every movie critic site on the planet and it is hailed as a breakthrough for martial arts.
I dont mind violence at all, nor do i mind a movie that tells its story visually, but the director (Gareth Evans) doesnt take the effort to make it a well-made film, it's basically 100 minutes of non stop action, with no plot, no characters, barely any dialogue, and just constant hard-driving, butt-kicking, pulse-pounding, bone-crunching, skull-smashing, bloodcurdling and largely a hand-to-hand, fist-to-face, foot-to-groin battle, with a few machetes and guns tossed in for good measure. Which is a formula Evans clearly knows is a large audience for, hence the obviously high ratings, and movies like this just dont entertain me at all. It's basically you watching a well-made realistic martial arts mission-type video game.

Detailed criticism: Why does the movie establishes that the ''lead role'' is a muslim in the beginning of the film? They do nothing at all with it after the opening scene. It seems pointless, except as a cheap, failed attempt in some sort of character development. But it is pointless to even attempt at something like that, no one in the film has a personality, they are all relentless fighters with no brain in their heads.
Another cheap plot point that was extremely predictable: one of the gangsters that is helping the drug lord that is camping out in this massive squat, is Rama's brother (The ''leading man''). Thus it is ofcourse inevitable that they eventually will hold each other's lives in their hands and resolve deep childhood feelings to their satisfaction at the end of the film, and that they obviously both survive and go their ways in the end...
Like i said, ''The Raid: Redemption'' is basically a well-made video game: a ruthless fighter stands in a corridor and destroys an enemy. As the enemy falls, another jumps into position from around corner, ready to be destroyed in turn. Then another, and another. It's like they're being ejected by an automatic victim dispenser.
Another small detail: What the hell does "Redemption" mean in the title? Who, or what, is redeemed, and how? If you kill lots of people and are still alive, have you been redeemed? If you and your brother don't kill each other after almost everyone else does, is that redemption? Or is "redemption" just one of those title words like "reloaded" or "destiny" to help people tell movies apart? Seems a bit stupid in my humble opinion, but i think i read somewhere that Gareth Evans is making the third installment of the Raid trilogy (yay) and he said that the 3rd film will take place before the first ''Raid'', so probably something will happen in that film that needs redeeming..

Another thing, this movie is inconsistent and unrealistic as hell, not just because something ridiculous like this would NEVER happen, but also because most people they ''kill'' go down by just getting kicked in the stomach, or getting slammed into a wall, or getting dropped on a table, and then there is a final fight with ''Mad Dog'' where he continues to fight for at least 5 minutes whilst having a fluorecent tube stuck in his neck, and before that he's been kicked and punched to absolute pulp. But he just continues to fight.
It's inconsistent as hell

The only reason i gave it a 2/5 instead of giving it lower, is simply because, i can't deny that the stunts and fight choreography isnt fantastic, and the way they killed (some) people was quite creative.

All in all, movies like this simply dont entertain me, no depth, no story, no characters and just constant neck-breaking action, but that's what it's meant to be. Something like this just doesnt quite suit me.
Can't dare expect the redemption from the sequel for what I found lacking here. Yet I guess I'll give it a go. (yay)
"The Raid: Redemption" will be most successful for people with A.D.D. or just generally short attention spans, but then again, that's what it's aimed at.
maesterpycellMar 20, 2014
A skilfully made, in terms of direction, cinematography and editing, film that does do a serviceable job at throwing action on screen but watching endless sprites get annihilated on screen isn't for me. It lacked substance and a sense of character.
AnanisaptaSep 28, 2013
Mindless violence for mindless chop-saki freaks.

OK, to fill in the required 150 characters, I'll mention non-stop gratuitous violence, weak plot, vapid dialog dubbed into flat English, and no redeeming artistic merit.
StriderKiwiSep 28, 2013
Takes a good 18 minutes to get to some action and a good 30 to get to some actually decent action. Dialogue is horrible. Goes with the ideology of "If i swear a lot people will think it's realistic and thus good writing" at nosium. TheTakes a good 18 minutes to get to some action and a good 30 to get to some actually decent action. Dialogue is horrible. Goes with the ideology of "If i swear a lot people will think it's realistic and thus good writing" at nosium. The directing is pretty bad. The camera bobs around incessantly for seemingly no reason during non action sequences. The writing is downright atrocious. Most characters just exist to be disposable meat sacks to add up pointless bodycount and even the main character seems to be devoid of any development. It shows some moments of promise like the propane tank in the fridge but it's not worth siting through the stupid moments like the part where the entire team lost their firearms for seemingly no reason other than to showcase some of the mediocre kung fu fights, or the part where a character was about to explain why they can't call for backup but stops as if he just realized their really is no reason why they can't. Oh and there's the part where an unarmed character walks past a gun and two tonfas, without picking them up for absolutely no reason, and don't even get me started on the part where a villain who has a guy at gun point drops the gun and gives the cliche "I don't like using guns. I like fist fighting because it provides the audience with an actual action scene-I MEAN I PREFER KILLING WITH MY FISTS OR SOMETHING YEAH THAT'S IT!" Expand
GOUGHApr 27, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Okay, so now I know it was Indonesian. Were they fighting endlessly with Muay Thai? I'm sorry, but, I was SO put off by the poor translation. I don't need to understand the language, obviously, I got most of it, but, what a piss poor translation! Minutes would go by dialogue, talking, and then, "WHAT?" the translation would reveal. LAME! Great fight scenes and loved the over the top gun work, not just the minutes of ammo wasted, but WHAM-WHAM! up close pistol shots to the head! Well done!!! Guess one can't very well pick out the subtext when one doesn't know the language, and should one expect to? Well, who was that long haired guy and why was he such a scary/good fighter? Didn't care, and some translation would have brought that forth, but, missed the boat you did on that one. I'm like, come on. In a real fight: the crush of a windpipe would have you OUT! Lacerate the carotid? DONE! Femoral cut? DOWN! Reality check, most fights, if to the death, would be over in seconds. You wouldn't be dancing around in a room with pvc pipe taped to your neck, dancing for your camera. Expand