Sony Pictures Classics | Release Date: March 23, 2012
8.2
Universal acclaim based on 313 Ratings
Watch Now
sikfukApr 8, 2017
I have never seen an action movie like this before. I was immediately hooked! the combat coreography, the intensity, the suspence are what make this movie an absolute masterpiece.
andrewmakatsariMar 2, 2017
The Raid is about a 20-man SWAT team task with raiding a 30-story building of a notorious drug kingpin, who is hides the city's most dangerous criminals from cops and makes a hefty living out of it. The SWAT team goes floor by floor securingThe Raid is about a 20-man SWAT team task with raiding a 30-story building of a notorious drug kingpin, who is hides the city's most dangerous criminals from cops and makes a hefty living out of it. The SWAT team goes floor by floor securing the building and neutralizing threats, when suddenly on the 6th floor, they get spotted and all hell breaks loose. Simple ain't it ? well that's the beauty of The Raid, at least the first one, it takes what is a very simple premise and engages the viewer with the team, feeling their despair and fright, making them easy to root for and constantly afraid of their safety as the film proves very soon that they're very, VERY expendable. Same goes for our leading man played by the Martial Arts maestro of Indonesia, Iko Uwais, whose introduction of himself, and his family, gives us just enough to know that it's him we will be following through the story but not enough to make us COMPLETELY assured that he will survive, Uwais just sort of carries this John McClane type of charisma with him, you root for the guy without having knowing much about his background(and in all honesty it's better off that way) yet as you imagine yourself in this situation you feel like Rama in a lot of ways, same goes for the rest of the team, from the fierce and loyal Jaka(Joe taslim), to the mysterious and harsh Lieutenant Wahyu, the vaillains are great too, the left and right hand men of the brutal, yet cunning Tama are a perfect balance between a silent fighter and a careful schemer. Each and every character has more personality and depth than you'd expect out of a film with this particular premise and this particular genre.

The action sequences are legendary to this day and will probably serve as bright and energizing examples of how to do, intricate, intense martial arts/action choreography and film it in the most coherent and exhilarating ways possible for many generations to come. Writer/director/editor Gareth Evans has a keen eye for long-takes and brisk editing, combine that with the relentless pace of the film, and you get a non-stop action thrill ride that quite literally BEATS THE **** out of most modern Hollywood blockbusters of this caliber. These are people who have passion and skill to make the action as hard-hitting and natural as possible, and the choreography by the cast members including Uwais and Yayan Ruhian, who plays the vicious and nearly unkillable Mad Dog in the film, is nothing short of consistently inventive and remarkable. The fights are greatly varied too, from the first and only shootout, to machete fights with necks being slammed on the broken door lintels, to single take jumps from A **** WINDOW, and of course the classic Hong Kong action movie style one on one and even two on one showdowns. The most underrated and overlooked aspect of the film, is actually the fact that in some ways it's a horror film as well, a horror-survival martial arts action films is what Wikipedia says and is very true. There's constant tension and fear of detection and discovery as the gang not only outnumbers but outmatches the rapidly dying team. The score by Linkin Park's Mike Shinoda, Joe Trapenese and Fajar Yuskemal is superb, perfectly combining, electronic beats with the more rock'n'roll side of the aforementioned band, to create a compelling and visceral score for the fight scenes. All these elements come together to deliver a blistering experience, full of blood, slashed necks and more than enough broken bones.
The Raid is a kinetic, exciting and uncompromising Martial arts action film, that makes you care for performers and love their performance, both emotional and physical. The only reason I'm not giving this a 10, is because I think that the sequel is EVEN BETTER and that if a question was ever put of me deciding to eliminate one Raid film forever, it would definitely be the first.
marc5477Nov 12, 2016
Enjoyable movie overall. It is mindless and straight forward but did a good job making you feel trapped and it was fun rooting for the brothers and the fight scenes were good though absurd. But if you are looking for a masterpiece you will beEnjoyable movie overall. It is mindless and straight forward but did a good job making you feel trapped and it was fun rooting for the brothers and the fight scenes were good though absurd. But if you are looking for a masterpiece you will be sorely disappointed. This is not original in any way and there is little story to really sink your mind into it. It is basically a copy/paste of any Die Hard film but with a more serious tone and no comedy unless you consider the fight scenes funny (which I did). Judge Dredd was almost exactly the same as well. For the most part, it is just like any mindless action flick. Watch it for what it is, and keep your enthusiasm in check. The ratings are inflated on this one probably because of younger viewers. Expand
evokingsSep 16, 2016
This movie was amazing, its vary gritty in a lot of aspects, the fight scenes feel vary raw and intense its also vary well choreographed, which in-turn, gives the movie a sense of realism, and the action is well devised, there are a fewThis movie was amazing, its vary gritty in a lot of aspects, the fight scenes feel vary raw and intense its also vary well choreographed, which in-turn, gives the movie a sense of realism, and the action is well devised, there are a few flaws, but they mostly have to do with the English dub, and with that being the case I still feel it is excusable, some of the English dub is fun to laugh at.

In conclusion I feel that for the most part the movie does a good job of entertaining, especially for martial arts action/drama/suspense fans this is a must watch, I feel it's among the best recent sleeper martial arts movies of our decade.
Meth-dudeJul 10, 2016
The movie is obviously not perfect, there is a big lack of character development, the acting is not really good, there are a lot of plot holes, the dialogue is cliché as hell and the plot is pretty weak but, the movie delivers to it'sThe movie is obviously not perfect, there is a big lack of character development, the acting is not really good, there are a lot of plot holes, the dialogue is cliché as hell and the plot is pretty weak but, the movie delivers to it's premise.Non stop action, well made action sequences and good choreographed fight scenes. I f you are into action and martial arts movies, there are high chances you'll like this one. Expand
kwjduffMay 23, 2016
Simply a masterpiece of an action movie. This movie is simply sensational from start to finish and sets a new standard for how action movies should be made.
WJSSep 5, 2015
Extremely violent and surprisingly intense, this story of urban warfare in the slums of Jakarta is very well directed and shot with a sense of sophistication I just didn't expect.
Compi24Jun 14, 2015
Gareth Evans earns his title as one of the modern greatest martial arts film directors with "The Raid: Redemption" a movie that is as gracious and impressive as it is brutal and impactful.
vpsinghNov 10, 2014
Seen it and it reminded Tony Jaa's The Protector or Tom Yum Goong. And I find what... It's awesome. First I thought of it as a typical shooting film. It satisfies your eyes for believing everything that you're watching. Because RottenSeen it and it reminded Tony Jaa's The Protector or Tom Yum Goong. And I find what... It's awesome. First I thought of it as a typical shooting film. It satisfies your eyes for believing everything that you're watching. Because Rotten Tomatoes gave it 85% which is pretty high of course, some people said it's overrated type things. I don't believe it, it deserves it. Expand
reellmOct 5, 2014
4/5★ If you like your action movies with more action and less story, this is the movie for you. Rough, tough and mind-numbingly, amazingly violent, The Raid is non stop adrenalin: Someone is getting hit, kicked, stabbed or shot during most of4/5★ If you like your action movies with more action and less story, this is the movie for you. Rough, tough and mind-numbingly, amazingly violent, The Raid is non stop adrenalin: Someone is getting hit, kicked, stabbed or shot during most of the incredibly intense fight scenes.
There is little character development to distract from all the bloodshed; whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is up to you!
Verdict: For the action connoisseur.
mrniceSep 15, 2014
I'm not sure what the point was, but it was really intense.

I'm not sure what the point was, but it was really intense.

The concept is almost horror-like. A police squad caught in a very hostile apartment complex. The tension of the setup works magnificently to keep the whole story exciting. I'm hesitant in giving it a positive score though, because there is little to take away from the movie, unless you want to become a street fighter. So ultimately, it's the standard action-package but the presentation and concept and twisting is all top notch craftsmanship.
Nobilis1984Aug 9, 2014
Lots of action and blood but a stupid plot and little logic.

The raid is to entertain the audience with it from schnelelr Action and much hard scenes. This works very well because I had the 100 minutes continuous fun. More sad it sit that
Lots of action and blood but a stupid plot and little logic.

More sad it sit that the plot and the logic suffers in the film.
But for only $ 2 million budget you have you made ​​a superb film.
Part 2 will be even harder and has to offer a better action.
HaithamBAug 6, 2014
The Raid: Redemption could have used more human element or just character depth, that is where it mostly lacks. Other than that, this is one of the best action movies I have seen in a very long while.
xmNz23May 1, 2014
HOLY S...! Hollywood Action movies (Even Matrix) must've been sit and cry after seeing how the fight scenes wonderfully executed in this movie. Sure, like every action movie this movie also had some cliches like Main Character's wife beingHOLY S...! Hollywood Action movies (Even Matrix) must've been sit and cry after seeing how the fight scenes wonderfully executed in this movie. Sure, like every action movie this movie also had some cliches like Main Character's wife being pregnant or overly predictable story twists but it didn't took away from the experience. In most of the Hollywood film the Main Character is practically invincible. You feel that that character can not die. It's not the case in this film. You can feel that the main character in danger and could die. If you are a action movie lover. You should definitely see this movie!!!! Expand
DeadweezylApr 15, 2014
Great action, dialogue driven as well. Acting is good, my copy has good translation subtitled. Very decent plot and though unbelievable to Americans, not too crazy for certain places I've lived as far as corruption, gangs and violence areGreat action, dialogue driven as well. Acting is good, my copy has good translation subtitled. Very decent plot and though unbelievable to Americans, not too crazy for certain places I've lived as far as corruption, gangs and violence are concerned. It is over the top obviously but I've seen and heard of lower scale craziness. The filmography is very well done, doesn't abuse the "shaky Byrne cam" thing. Expand
KenmeiApr 12, 2014
This is easily one of the best action movies to come out in a long time. The action was intense and the fight scenes were some of the best I've seen in a long time. It was your stereotypical fare with the story. Even still it's pretty weakThis is easily one of the best action movies to come out in a long time. The action was intense and the fight scenes were some of the best I've seen in a long time. It was your stereotypical fare with the story. Even still it's pretty weak but that's not why you watch this movie. The only knock I'll give this is the fact that they had people do an english version of it and it's beyond bad. I don't mind having to watch the subtitles for a movie like this and I would definitely recommend watching it that way. Skip the english voice over dub completely. Stick with the original Indonesian version with subtitles. Expand
colin_jackApr 9, 2014
The best action movie I've seen in years, possibly the best action movie I've ever seen. Sure the story is a bit spartan but it has enough to keep me satisfied and I think it benefits from the tight focus (same as for Gravity).
PimpinpakmanMar 28, 2014
Action movie with a twist. Most of the new kung fu movies are losing their steam. This one was refreshing in the sense that it kept you entertained and invested in the movie. Definitely recommended
royvargheseFeb 10, 2014
What the movie lacks in plot and character development, it more than makes up with some of the best action scenes ever to be filmed. The movie is directed by Gareth Evans and Iko Uwais stars in it. This is their second collaboration. The RaidWhat the movie lacks in plot and character development, it more than makes up with some of the best action scenes ever to be filmed. The movie is directed by Gareth Evans and Iko Uwais stars in it. This is their second collaboration. The Raid tops their previous entry (Merantau) in terms of action and violence. I recommend this movie to any one who likes action movies. The movie showcases the Indonesian martial arts called Silat. Expand
bm2759Jan 18, 2014
Many people had told me this film is absolutely awesome, and usually I am skeptical of such hype. However having seen the film I was very entertained and very impressed.

The story is nothing amazing but does give context as to why events

The story is nothing amazing but does give context as to why events are occurring. What we become mostly interested in is the survival of certain characters. And this is heightened by the solid execution of the action scenes which are just so good. At the end of each fight I was completely in awe of the precision, brutality and seeming realism depicted. As expected the most impressive fight is the last and it will not disappoint; in fact I was cheering with glee the whole time.

If you love martial arts and love action films you will be absolutely thrilled.
coleman132002Jan 2, 2014
The best action movie i've ever seen no questions asked.

The combat scenes are incredible!

Don't let the language or subtitles stop you from seeing this. They could have made it with no dialogue and you would still know what's going on.
StaticSpineDec 27, 2013
A very intense low-tech martial arts action movie full of gritty combat scenes, nice filming, generic stupid action movie story, villains look like crappy hobos, but overall a surprisingly good movie.
cwilder06Dec 2, 2013
Plenty of reviews have come before so I'll keep this short. It is, simply put, the best action film since Die Hard. It is a genuine shame if you let a reluctance to watch a film with subtitles keep you from watching this gem. It is only madePlenty of reviews have come before so I'll keep this short. It is, simply put, the best action film since Die Hard. It is a genuine shame if you let a reluctance to watch a film with subtitles keep you from watching this gem. It is only made all the more impressive given the fact that it was made on a shoestring budget (by Hollywood standards, anyway). A must watch. Expand
TheQuietGamerNov 29, 2013
One of the most brutal and intense action movies I have ever seen. The set up is similar to the Dredd movie. Cops are locked in a building filled to the brim with people trying to kill them and the only way for them to survive is to take outOne of the most brutal and intense action movies I have ever seen. The set up is similar to the Dredd movie. Cops are locked in a building filled to the brim with people trying to kill them and the only way for them to survive is to take out the big honcho in charge. I have to say though with the level of action and brutality this makes Dredd look tame. This makes most action movies look tame. The best part is that it manages to do so without seeming overly gruesome and has a great plot.

The characters are fantastic and there are enough twists to keep you interested, so you can see that there was thought put into the story and it payed off. Surprisingly enough some of the most tense moments happen when the fists aren't flying. Tense stand offs and moments of cat and mouse will keep you on the edge of your seat in anticipation. Same goes for the fights, which are some of the most adrenaline fueled ones that I've ever seen. All in all this a first class excellent action movie, and one that you shouldn't pass by.
Clap4EverythingOct 19, 2013
Jaw Dropping. Intense from the beginning there's literally only 3 minutes of dialogue and the rest is ACTION...Star Iko Uwais might not be as powerful as Tony Jaa..But this film beats Ong Bak and Tom Yum Goong which are regarded Jaa's bestJaw Dropping. Intense from the beginning there's literally only 3 minutes of dialogue and the rest is ACTION...Star Iko Uwais might not be as powerful as Tony Jaa..But this film beats Ong Bak and Tom Yum Goong which are regarded Jaa's best efforts. The primary style used here is Pencak Silat. The man who steals the show is Yayan "Mad Dog" Ruhian in the most epic 2 on 1 fight scenes ever created. He knows a special breathing technique that allows him to feel no pain and every hit in this movie is full contact (Much like Jaa's films). Over all...It goes "The Raid...Ong Bak...Ip Man. Expand
drlowdonAug 16, 2013
Ignore the fact that it has subtitles (there’s not exactly much dialogue anyway) as the Raid is one of the best pure action films ever made. I can’t even begin to fathom how they shot some of the action sequences and, while it may be perhapsIgnore the fact that it has subtitles (there’s not exactly much dialogue anyway) as the Raid is one of the best pure action films ever made. I can’t even begin to fathom how they shot some of the action sequences and, while it may be perhaps a little too violent for some, this is one movie that really has to be seen to be believed. Expand
Andys_ReviewsJul 27, 2013
Brilliantly choreographed with some truly stunning fight scenes, both hand to hand martial arts and with the use of weapons. It is very brutal and there is plenty of gore so it’s definitely not one for the squeamish. All the performances wereBrilliantly choreographed with some truly stunning fight scenes, both hand to hand martial arts and with the use of weapons. It is very brutal and there is plenty of gore so it’s definitely not one for the squeamish. All the performances were excellent, I watched it in its native Indonesian with subtitles so I could better judge and I felt nobody missed a beat. I loved the music, it kept the pace of the film very well and added to the excitement of the fight scenes where needed. The time really flew (which is always a good sign) and, although there were a couple of quiet moments, it’s pretty much full on all the way! I did like the plot as well; there were references to police corruption and also a nice little twist with one of the drug lord’s men. Over all, it’s one of the best martial arts films I’ve seen for quite a while! A definite ‘must see’ for any fan of the genre.

SteelMonster’s verdict: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

My score: 9.4/10.
alescio92May 28, 2013
The Raid: Redemption by Gareth Evans, masterpiece, exciting, spectacular, one of the best action films of the past 10 years, Beautiful action scenes, the protagonist good.
finnigan37Mar 6, 2013
Amazing action and martial arts. At first I wasn't sure what to expect, but once this movie gets going it is a non-stop blitz of amazing fight choreography and violence. It gets better and better as it goes along.
ZekeMarshFeb 24, 2013
Great martial art fight movie and great work with the camera as well. The story is a bit meh, but I'm quite sure that nobody watched it for a great plot-line. The movie provided a plot twist for people who are fan of them. It's a typicalGreat martial art fight movie and great work with the camera as well. The story is a bit meh, but I'm quite sure that nobody watched it for a great plot-line. The movie provided a plot twist for people who are fan of them. It's a typical one-watch movie for me, but enjoyed every minute of it. Expand
ThegodfathersonFeb 17, 2013
The Raid is the goriest and the most violent movie I have ever seen in years! The Kung fu style makes the movie more interesting, also the Indonesian actors have done well. It's actually the best forgein film I have ever seen. It picks upThe Raid is the goriest and the most violent movie I have ever seen in years! The Kung fu style makes the movie more interesting, also the Indonesian actors have done well. It's actually the best forgein film I have ever seen. It picks up pace with the ultra violent gory action and the Dredd 3D thing is copied but.... More well done than Pete Travis in a way. If you are a fan of Indonesian, kick ass, gory, super ultra ultra ultra violent films then The Raid is for you. 10/10. So, it's better to leave the kids at home and whether its theatre or DVD/Bluray The Raid is crazy fun. Expand
unklabersDec 22, 2012
its the best and very amazing.. i liked to watch again and again..
if will cme a next second version, thats i think tobe liked good..

and now i know Joe Tsalim go Holywood played in The Fast And the farious next version..

very very good movie
SeriosityNov 5, 2012
Exhilarating. After about 20 minutes of setup it is non-stop balls-to-the-wall action. Is it possible for a movie to have too much action? this comes close.
Monstr92Nov 2, 2012
This movie does justice in its own right by making you cringe, and teetering on the edge of your seat with high octane action that seems to never stop. The violence, the fights, and of course the loosely strung together storyline makes RaidThis movie does justice in its own right by making you cringe, and teetering on the edge of your seat with high octane action that seems to never stop. The violence, the fights, and of course the loosely strung together storyline makes Raid Redemption a must see movie. The violence it self is amazing, the gun battles, the hand to hand combat, and the destructive gore is what makes this movie amazing. It's a pure thriller with violence around every corner! Check it out, if you're into violence, gun battles, and plenty of fist to fist combat scenes! Expand
meconateOct 29, 2012
The Raid: Redemption isn't exactly the most original for storylines; you can see they may have taken a few pages out of Die Hard and Hard Boiled's books, but it sure packs a lot of action and is easily one of the most thrilling martial artsThe Raid: Redemption isn't exactly the most original for storylines; you can see they may have taken a few pages out of Die Hard and Hard Boiled's books, but it sure packs a lot of action and is easily one of the most thrilling martial arts movies this year.

Unfortunately, I suffered the horrible English dub of the movie, which for me took out a lot of the emotion and storytelling as I couldn't take the dialog too seriously. However, looking past this, I could see a very well made martial arts movie with plenty of violence to keep you begging for more action. If you're a fan of martial arts movies, you cannot afford to miss this.
Lambo442Sep 7, 2012
This is a solid martial arts film, among the best I've seen. The fight scene choreography is really something to behold and the music complements it perfectly. Fast, frenetic and possibly the most violent film I've ever seen so be preparedThis is a solid martial arts film, among the best I've seen. The fight scene choreography is really something to behold and the music complements it perfectly. Fast, frenetic and possibly the most violent film I've ever seen so be prepared for that. Lots and lots of stabbing and slicing going on, but if you like that kind of thing then you'll be on your element. I've only just finished watching it and I want to watch it again already. Story was pretty decent too, but this is mostly action, visceral, as they say. Expand
EfrainSep 7, 2012
I had heard this to be the "best action film in decades". For someone to say that just made me wan't to instantly watch it, to see if it does live up to that title. A few minutes into it there was tense in it and I was in suspense. TheI had heard this to be the "best action film in decades". For someone to say that just made me wan't to instantly watch it, to see if it does live up to that title. A few minutes into it there was tense in it and I was in suspense. The martial arts are non-stop. There are a lot of scenes where you are in awe and martial art moves you probably have never seen it perform in a movie before. It is satisfying but it never makes you feel as if its repetitive seeing fight after fight. The story is great with a few plot twist, great performances all around. I didn't find a single thing wrong with this movie. Better than a lot of American action movies. It will satisfy any action, martial arts fan. A must watch! Expand
EleciSep 2, 2012
The Raid: Redemption truly is action movie of the decade. Only Matrix has come up with so good fighting choreography in these recent years, and that was 13 years ago!
ImNotPaid4ThisAug 28, 2012
I didn't understand a word of this film and still don't. Not watching it with subtitles either, It's a great film and kept me entertained for the entirity even though I didn't know what they were saying at all. Would 100% recommend toI didn't understand a word of this film and still don't. Not watching it with subtitles either, It's a great film and kept me entertained for the entirity even though I didn't know what they were saying at all. Would 100% recommend to anybody, give it a chance you wont regret it. Expand
Apemonkey666Aug 18, 2012
You can say this is the future of filmmaking: this Indonesian film was made for measly 1,1 m$ by a Welshman! It has some VERY fast and kinetic fight scenes but they leave enough room for the story to unfold and for the characters to develop.You can say this is the future of filmmaking: this Indonesian film was made for measly 1,1 m$ by a Welshman! It has some VERY fast and kinetic fight scenes but they leave enough room for the story to unfold and for the characters to develop. A SWAT team has to clear a gangster building floor by floor and the film has a gritty look and feel and the gang members are convincingly vile and agressive. The second one has already gone into production with 3 times the budget, so let's see what they can get out of that! Expand
b3_Jul 15, 2012
I knew this film was all about action and did not expect much character or plot development. The movie had a gritty realism to it and of course the only thing that subtracted from this was the awesome but unbelievable fight scenes. The fightI knew this film was all about action and did not expect much character or plot development. The movie had a gritty realism to it and of course the only thing that subtracted from this was the awesome but unbelievable fight scenes. The fight scenes in the movie were explosive, clever, often gory and always satisfying if you appreciate this style in any way. Some of the scenes definitely reminded me of 'Oldboy'. I give the movie a 7/10 as I am not all about action in movies and wanted a little more in other departments, but for what it is I do not really fault this film. Be warned it is extremely violent and is literally about guys fighting for their lives. Expand
HalfwelshmanJul 12, 2012
The Raid, or: the fine art of ultraviolence, as it really should be subtitled, is the finest martial arts film since Warrior King. Never before has human brutality looked so beautiful, presented in a way which would resemble an intricateThe Raid, or: the fine art of ultraviolence, as it really should be subtitled, is the finest martial arts film since Warrior King. Never before has human brutality looked so beautiful, presented in a way which would resemble an intricate dance if it weren't for the copious blood and bone-snapping. It's a joy to see a relatively unknown martial art being practiced on the big screen, and the Indonesian Pencak Silat allows for the choreographing of action unlike any you've ever seen before. The plot, which involves a SWAT team fighting their way through an apartment block controlled by a malicious drug lord flies along, and the film is tense, gritty and pulse-pounding throughout. Iko Uwais plays Rama, the film's primary protagonist, who is a young new addition to the SWAT team, and his almost supernatural skill with Silat is in unquestionable as Rama is forced to undertake the majority of the film's fights against hordes of drug cartel henchmen single-handedly. Uwais is far more than a blunt instrument however, and in the long tradition of strong silent types with a good heart throughout film history, it is established early on in the film that Rama is only committing the acts of brutality he does to provide a safe and financially secure life for his wife and soon-to-be-born child. The drug lord Tama (Ray Sahetapy) is also shown to be the most diabolical of evil-doers, a representation of everything wrong with contemporary Indonesia, and thoroughly deserving of everything that comes to him. Uwais, along with Yayan Ruhian, who plays the terrifying and volatile bodyguard Mad Dog choreographed the film and made the numerous action sequences so explosive and memorable. Though the film in a sense de-sensitises you to violence, such is the extent and frequency of it on screen, you are brought crashing back down to reality by Writer/Director Gareth Evans' human characters and subtextual comments on social problems prevalent in modern Indonesia (poverty, the break-down of family units and the dominance of the illegal drugs trade are all referenced within the film's narrative). Evans is not just incredibly talented as an action director, guiding cinematographer Matt Flannery's stylish camera work, and undertaking the striking, expert film editing himself, but he's also an effective and intelligent, though minimalistic screenwriter, and as a passionate promoter of Indonesian culture, which he clearly has a great love of. He's certainly a real talent to watch, and I am incredibly excited to see how else he can elevate the action genre, and perhaps other areas of cinema in the future. Expand
CynelleJul 11, 2012
The best film I saw this year. And I think it should please all the people who enjoy martial art. Some parts deserves to be cult. And the photography directing is also pretty good.
AxianJun 30, 2012
Wall-to-wall action. Reminds me of Bruce Lee films with generous amounts of action and minimal dialogue. Protagonist is likeable and the villain is easy to despise. No superfluous sex scenes. What more could you ask for?
dharmaJun 12, 2012
Thank goodness for RAID: REDEMPTION! While directed by an Englishman, It's one of the best Indonesian movie out there and really shows how capable the Indonesian production teams and actors are. Great action sequences; beautifully stagedThank goodness for RAID: REDEMPTION! While directed by an Englishman, It's one of the best Indonesian movie out there and really shows how capable the Indonesian production teams and actors are. Great action sequences; beautifully staged and shot. The story is a bit simple, but effective. It shows Indonesia's true potential to become the next 'South Korea' or 'Hong Kong'. More of this and less cheapo, exploitative horror flicks please! Expand
amerxenosmoodsJun 2, 2012
Its been close to ten years since i saw a film that made me exhausted . The fights and gun/knife play in this film are intense. Its shockingly violent and keeps you mesmerised from start to finish.
MagnificentMJun 2, 2012
The Raid is an amazing martial arts movie. Even though it might sacrifice it's characters and story for more action, at least the action is flawless. I don't think I've ever seen such awe inspiring hand to hand combat. It was very wellThe Raid is an amazing martial arts movie. Even though it might sacrifice it's characters and story for more action, at least the action is flawless. I don't think I've ever seen such awe inspiring hand to hand combat. It was very well choreographed, and even though it was pretty much a stage to show of some great fighting, the story and characters proved to be decent ones that kept me invested in the movie. It's sad that very few Americans will see this because of their laziness when it comes to reading subtitles, because it is much better than the typical Hollywood action movie. Expand
mugslangleyMay 19, 2012
I can't fault this film at all. I haven't enjoyed a martial arts film this much since going to see Ong Bak years ago! Excellent fight choreography with some, at times, cringe worthy (and hilarious!) deaths, and a decent story to tie theI can't fault this film at all. I haven't enjoyed a martial arts film this much since going to see Ong Bak years ago! Excellent fight choreography with some, at times, cringe worthy (and hilarious!) deaths, and a decent story to tie the lengthy fight scenes together. Expand
scoleyMay 15, 2012
Its amazing some of the best martial arts I have ever seen great movie a must see for action and fight fans.
Non stop action pretty straight forward story left the cinema buzzing.
budmon22May 13, 2012
I keep seeing the comment that this movie has the best action in years. I disagree. This movie has the best action ever! I saw this in Baltimore and the theater was erupting throughout the film. I was upset when it ended, but almost freakedI keep seeing the comment that this movie has the best action in years. I disagree. This movie has the best action ever! I saw this in Baltimore and the theater was erupting throughout the film. I was upset when it ended, but almost freaked out a few days later when I found out it's the first of a trilogy. Trust me, Hollywood needs to take serious notes. I've only watched each of the Transformers movies once with all their millions spent on special effects, but Raid Redemption will be on my screen many times in the years to come. If you area dude, let me just put it like this : think of the level of attention you give to a porn as you're watching it for the first 5 minutes. That is how this entire movie grips you. Most entertaining movie I have seen in years, but best action I have seen EVER!! Expand
LuckJoeMay 2, 2012
Jaw Dropping!! excellent visceral fight scene and entertaining thriller !!. the choreography was amazing probably the best action Movie of the year!!. An intense adrenalin packed movie, Gut-wrenching, heart-pounding, gruesome, bloody violenceJaw Dropping!! excellent visceral fight scene and entertaining thriller !!. the choreography was amazing probably the best action Movie of the year!!. An intense adrenalin packed movie, Gut-wrenching, heart-pounding, gruesome, bloody violence and action all throughout. Expand
ReconhopeApr 20, 2012
This movie starts off good and never slows down from the start. It will keep you on the edge of your seat. Some of the best choreography i have seen in a long time. Sony secured themselves a great foreign film by securing this beast. TheThis movie starts off good and never slows down from the start. It will keep you on the edge of your seat. Some of the best choreography i have seen in a long time. Sony secured themselves a great foreign film by securing this beast. The fight scenes in this movie among-st the most visceral and stylish in the genre. The way that knees are used in this movie are inspiring. Expand
bajajApr 20, 2012
The Raid is unique. The idea is original and it's always my personal opinion that the "no story, thin plot" is a deliberate strategy of the Director n screenwriter, which make this movie qite refreshing. All in all the Raid is an eye openerThe Raid is unique. The idea is original and it's always my personal opinion that the "no story, thin plot" is a deliberate strategy of the Director n screenwriter, which make this movie qite refreshing. All in all the Raid is an eye opener in the wake of novel-goes-on-screen and porns-disguised-as-horror-flicks that plague Indonesia today. I think the only drawbacks in that movie is that the Director seems to limit the actors in exploring their personal martial art potential - technically speaking. Joe Taslim, the police who fought mad dog 1 on 1 is a former judo champ and i think mad dog (yayan) is a silat player, yet I see a silat-muay thai-mixed-with-mediocre-bjj/greco roman fightscene instead of a desperate-police-judo-champ vs ruthless-as-hell-silat-madman. Expand
TVJerryApr 18, 2012
If you like violent non-stop fighting (guns, blades and martial arts) this Indonesian import is for you. The wisp of a plot involves a SWAT team occupying a building full of gansters. After a few minutes of setup (subtitled) the actionIf you like violent non-stop fighting (guns, blades and martial arts) this Indonesian import is for you. The wisp of a plot involves a SWAT team occupying a building full of gansters. After a few minutes of setup (subtitled) the action explodes and essentially doesn't let up until it's over. In addition to the inventive brutality and dazzling choreography (think Jackie Chan on steriods), Welsh director Gareth Hwu Evans has crafted a sophisticated and attractive film. Expand
CitizenCharlieApr 15, 2012
There is no genre mixing in The Raid: Redemption. Unlike films which are billed as both comedy and drama or mystery and suspense thriller, The Raid is strictly action and thatâ
Knicksfan7Apr 15, 2012
This movie is the definition of pure awesome. Gut-wrenching, heart-pounding, gruesome, bloody violence and action all throughout. If you went to see this movie not expecting just that then you clearly didn't watch the trailer or read theThis movie is the definition of pure awesome. Gut-wrenching, heart-pounding, gruesome, bloody violence and action all throughout. If you went to see this movie not expecting just that then you clearly didn't watch the trailer or read the synopsis, because that was the whole point of the film, it was to get your heart racing from the nonstop action all throughout and I believe it actually had a pretty good story to it as well. It had its holes because it didn't explain everything too well, but with a movie like this you arent looking for a genius story, you should be looking for action and ALOT of it. Thats exactly what you get from The Raid: Redemption. My jaw was on the floor from start to finish. I fell in love with this movie from the very beginning and i was upset when it ended because I just didn't want it to. Best martial arts/ action film period, in a VERY long time. 10/10 without a doubt! Expand
wordy_actionsApr 14, 2012
A pure action movie from start to finish, and an invigorating change from effects heavy and slow 'action movies'. The violence is unrelenting and brutal, and the martial arts fights are an amazing feat to behold. The script is stripped to itsA pure action movie from start to finish, and an invigorating change from effects heavy and slow 'action movies'. The violence is unrelenting and brutal, and the martial arts fights are an amazing feat to behold. The script is stripped to its core elements, and done very smartly. We have one scene that establishes the hero, one scene that establishes the villain, and within ten minutes the movie starts and doesn't let up. This movie is also a perfect example of 'show don't tell'. We're not told much about these characters, but you know exactly who they are just by their actions and the way they react to things. The editing and fighting are amazing, as is the soundtrack. 'The Raid' is100% amazing action from start to finish. The best action movie since 'The Matrix'. GO SEE IT!!! Expand
bhop123Apr 14, 2012
Honestly, The Raid is one of the best movies iv seen in a long time. The movie had me thrilled the whole way. The action is intense, and leaves you in a state of awe. Most action movies are very corny, but The Raid is far from it. ItHonestly, The Raid is one of the best movies iv seen in a long time. The movie had me thrilled the whole way. The action is intense, and leaves you in a state of awe. Most action movies are very corny, but The Raid is far from it. It definitely puts western action movies to shame. The martial arts is some of the best iv ever seen in a movie. It has a kick ass style, and the movie is never shy to add brutality, and blood. Expand
MarcDoyleApr 14, 2012
The amount of choreography that must have gone into this film is mind-boggling. There's so much gritty, in-your-face action in this sucker that I can't imagine an action fan walking away unsatisfied. The sequence in which the Mad Dog givesThe amount of choreography that must have gone into this film is mind-boggling. There's so much gritty, in-your-face action in this sucker that I can't imagine an action fan walking away unsatisfied. The sequence in which the Mad Dog gives away an advantage so he can fight both of the brothers at the same time is incredible - the wildest fight sequence I believe I've ever seen. Machine guns, machetes, breaking bones, busting through walls, caving in floors, jumping through ceilings - this movies has it all. What might have made it perfect is a more compelling back-story that ties it all together in a way that might make you care even more about the lead characters and/or hold the bad guys in greater contempt. Expand
quincytheodoreApr 4, 2012
As I smiled gleefully in the cinema, I realized that an Indonesia movie had come that is on par with Hollywood movies, perhaps even better than most in the term of action. In a time of CG, 3D and artificial action sequences, The Raid standsAs I smiled gleefully in the cinema, I realized that an Indonesia movie had come that is on par with Hollywood movies, perhaps even better than most in the term of action. In a time of CG, 3D and artificial action sequences, The Raid stands tall as one of the greatest action movies in years, the only things that have the intensity and pure raw violence are Ong Bak and Chocolate from Thailand. The story certainly could've been more polished, but it's undeniably relentlessly gripping from the first thrown punch.

The Raid is about a police squad that storm into an apartment, which doubles as a nest of criminals / martial artists, in order to apprehend a drug lord. They'll soon find that these thugs are very well trained despite their cryptic outfits. The hoodlums come down pouring in dozens, launching punches, kicks and bullets their way, generally making their lives harder. In a short moment, the raid turns into a struggle for survival. Iko Uwais plays Rama, one of a rookie cop who's trapped in the building, deliver the best visceral combat scenes I've ever seen in Indonesian cinema.

Highly fast paced and devastating, it's not your usual near-miss exaggerated camera angle shots a la your average action movies, neither it's flying stylish acrobatic wire fu of Hong Kong, The Raid is a beast on its own right. The director, Gareth Evans, cleverly uses pencak silat, an Indonesia traditional martial art, mixes it with many aspects of MMA and also plenty usage of sharp weapons or even handguns. Every movement is designed to hurt, immensely and veraciously, you won't find flashy dashing choreography here.

Expect plenty faces hammered into the wall, knives introduced to throats and even point blank headshot. All in its uncensored bloodstained glory. The amount and quality of the fights are ridiculously excessive, world class even. This will shock many international audiences, as it already has. Scenes are masterfully done, giving clean shots to dramatic moments, even those without someone getting pummeled. The director has a sense of focus which gives clarity in midst of high octane scenes.

However it's not without its flaws. Some plot holes remain unchecked as the characters' motivations are a bit vague, maybe for the sequel, I'm not sure. The dialogues can be gritty as I viewed it on my native language, but it can also be a double edge sword. At some points, it becomes unintentionally funny because the delivery of Malay accent is over-the-top. I do hope it wonâ
asthobaskoroApr 3, 2012
The Raid is brutal and some say the best action movie of the decade, okay let's say it's only hype. It's mediocre, the plot or acting doesn't seem it's masterclass. But let's forget, the action, direction and score are the exciting. The RaidThe Raid is brutal and some say the best action movie of the decade, okay let's say it's only hype. It's mediocre, the plot or acting doesn't seem it's masterclass. But let's forget, the action, direction and score are the exciting. The Raid is the new exciting martial art franchise. Expand
DoomyoshiApr 2, 2012
This is my new favourite Kung fu/ action movie. It is epic. If you like the genre, even a little you need to watch this. The only reason I didn't rate it higher is that it doesn't have universal appeal. As an action movie it is 10/10. As aThis is my new favourite Kung fu/ action movie. It is epic. If you like the genre, even a little you need to watch this. The only reason I didn't rate it higher is that it doesn't have universal appeal. As an action movie it is 10/10. As a movie in general: 8/10. Expand
heyden2000Mar 30, 2012
I have watched this movie it's completely incredible. I'm gonna watch this for twice for sure !!!!. this movie is BAD ASS, brutal. worth every cen of it...
Rnyc25Mar 28, 2012
An intense adrenalin packed movie. It's short on plot, but if you're looking for a pure action film, this is probably one of the best release in years...or even the best. Reminiscent of kinetic gun battles from early John Woo films mixedAn intense adrenalin packed movie. It's short on plot, but if you're looking for a pure action film, this is probably one of the best release in years...or even the best. Reminiscent of kinetic gun battles from early John Woo films mixed with intense martial arts scenes and filmed in a style of the better comtemporary action thrillers....this movie is definitely a winner. Expand
HeaviermetalMar 28, 2012
Awesome movie with fantastic action sequences and plenty of tense moments that out way any reason to see this for a plot :) The entire theater applauded after several great moments. Not only is the action insanely good, the soundtrack to goAwesome movie with fantastic action sequences and plenty of tense moments that out way any reason to see this for a plot :) The entire theater applauded after several great moments. Not only is the action insanely good, the soundtrack to go along with it shines! Expand
CesarNugrahaMar 27, 2012
I'm Indonesian. I am proud that this movie is a local production only for its production values and technical achievement. Other than that, the story is thin (even compared to other movie in the same genre). Good for entertainment, but very violent.
DianitaHapsariMar 27, 2012
The Raid has a strong story line with great setting and good fight choreography. As Indonesian, I think this movie is totally brutal with lots of blood, bullets, and the sounds of bone fracture. But the best part of this movie, the directorThe Raid has a strong story line with great setting and good fight choreography. As Indonesian, I think this movie is totally brutal with lots of blood, bullets, and the sounds of bone fracture. But the best part of this movie, the director and actors can bring the viewer emotions flow when they are fighting. I feel terribly spun after watching the great fighting scene between Rama, Mad Dog, and Andi. The Raid: Redemption is totally must watch movie this year :) worth it! Expand
horo2Mar 26, 2012
I'm Indonesian and so proud to know film from my country have a great response on site like metacritic.com,
as you all know Iko Uwais with his 2 film (cooperation with Gareth Evan) make a "high jump" to Indonesia movie industry, first with Merantau, and 2nd with The Raid, oke to the review..

This movie will make you trapped in so many fight scene, i bet many of you won't open your eyes all the time to it's scene, you will shut your eye for while or turn your head off from the screen, so many blood, littlr gore and no mercy at all, just struggle to get put from this heroic mission turn to suicide mission, framed with epic choreografer in form from my country martial art called Silat, But i can't give this movie a perfect score because it's story telling not good, i feel anticlimax in the ending, and after out from cinema i couldn't fully understand, about what this mission exactly for
tmlondonMar 26, 2012
This movie is amazing, exhausting, exhilarating. Easily the most bad-assed movie I've seen in years. Do NOT bring the girlfriend or wife, but definitely be prepared to be blown away. The NYTimes critic is crazy, this movie has both artisticThis movie is amazing, exhausting, exhilarating. Easily the most bad-assed movie I've seen in years. Do NOT bring the girlfriend or wife, but definitely be prepared to be blown away. The NYTimes critic is crazy, this movie has both artistic merit and story without skimping one iota on the action. Sets a relentless pace from very early. And when things kick in - they really kick in! Expand
MegWhiteleyMar 26, 2012
Wow, good movie. The Raid: Redemption is a big option after watching The Hunger Games, have an amazing story, great characters, is an amzing film. The movie is a great classic.
andrewdtriggMar 25, 2012
The Raid puts most Western action movies to shame for its sheer energy and and uncompromising fight scenes. It's a frenetic, gritty, brutal, stylish action flick that grabs you from the first minute and doesn't let up till the final frame.The Raid puts most Western action movies to shame for its sheer energy and and uncompromising fight scenes. It's a frenetic, gritty, brutal, stylish action flick that grabs you from the first minute and doesn't let up till the final frame. Although the plot is about a SWAT team storming a slum apartment block to arrest a gangland boss, it's peppered with Indonesian silat martial art scenes that are breathtaking for their speed, style and creativity -- as well as their brutality. They're some of the most bruising and high-octane punch-ups ever filmed, performed with amazing flair by a host of Indonesian martial artists, including Iko Uwais, the telegenic lead and Yayan Ruhian, the oh-so-evil "Mad Dog", who at times exudes an almost demonic, monster-like quality. The camera is kept so close to the action that you feel you're in the thick of the action at all times and the film never lets you off the hook. It's very violent but I don't think it glamorizes violence in the same way as many films of this genre do. The heroes suffer. They would rather not be there. They don't make jokes after killing people -- killing is not fun but a necessary evil.

The gangland boss, played Ray Sahetapy, is also worthy of a special mention. He's not your stereotypical baddy, but an aloof, menacing, strangely quiet villain who's devoid of empathy and capable of the most awful atrocity at any moment. Truly scary, and truly new in an Indonesian movie.

This is a truly world-class movie and by far the best Indonesian action film I have ever seen. It truly deserves its high score on Metacritic, and is a must-see for all action buffs.
ChupwnMar 23, 2012
The amazing fights in this had people cheering in the audience. This movie is such a great mix of blood and balls out action that makes Jason Statham movies look tame. Just don't bring a date - unless her favorites parts from Braveheart wereThe amazing fights in this had people cheering in the audience. This movie is such a great mix of blood and balls out action that makes Jason Statham movies look tame. Just don't bring a date - unless her favorites parts from Braveheart were the fight scenes. Expand