8.8

1. Mar 1, 2011
    I am still surprised as to how much I liked this movie. A butler? Really? And yet it was so well written, acted, directed that I thought it was outstanding.
  2. Jan 19, 2015
    Having now seen nearly every Merchany-Ivory film, I can legitimately say that the Remains of the Day remains their best one, by a long distance. If you lack patience, you'll never be able to appreciate the subtle strength of this film. The poignancy in the Remains of the Day doesn't arise because we're able to connect with our characters and understand their actions. On the contrary, theHaving now seen nearly every Merchany-Ivory film, I can legitimately say that the Remains of the Day remains their best one, by a long distance. If you lack patience, you'll never be able to appreciate the subtle strength of this film. The poignancy in the Remains of the Day doesn't arise because we're able to connect with our characters and understand their actions. On the contrary, the part of the movie that I found most emotionally frustrating was my inability to comprehend Stevens (Brilliantly played by Anthony Hopkins) and his line of thought. But Anthony Hopkins clearly apprehends who Stevens is at his core and who he's trying to be. He's a man obsessed with his job, adamant about his role in Lord Darlington's House and resolute about his place in the world. He won't have anyone change his ways. He can't because that's all he knows how to do; that's all he ever does. He doesn't think too much about himself, perhaps because neither does anyone else. Miss Kenton (played by the impeccable Emma Thompson), the new housekeeper, unintentionally ignites the hidden fires within Stevens, of which he knew nothing about. Both fell for each other, neither prepared to take the first step. Not much happens in the remains of the day but whatever does happen, is felt intensely. Mr. Ivory cleverly doesn't sentimentalize or condemn: he merely captures as a passive observer. Was it Stevens' fear or his pride that triggered his dishonesty with himself about himself. He refuses to accept that he was falling in love with Miss Kenton.
    The Remains of the Day is exasperating right to the very end but it stays true to its characters all the way through. Not all love stories have a happy ending. As we've seen with Stevens and Miss Kenton, sometimes people just give up or are too afraid to know what comes next.

Hopkins and Thompson's downright marvelous duet is supported by a host of deft players, and the detailed re-creation of this small universe is in all ways remarkable.
  2. The actors keep this interesting, but as a story it drifts and rambles.
    The whole movie is quiet, introspective, thoughtful.