The Return

8.3

1. SamB.
    Feb 26, 2004
    This movie sucked! What are you talking about??? Here's the plot of this movie: two kids' father comes home after not being there for twelve years. then they go fishing and he dies. then theres a slide show. the end! and this garbage is two hours long!!!
  2. MarkL.
    Jun 19, 2004
    Ok, look, it isn't absolutely impossible to make a good movie without a plot. It's been done -- My Dinner with Andre, Babette's Feast -- but not often (and food helps). And not this time. There's good acting, but what else good can you say? Yeah, mean distant, dad. That sucks. And its been done rather a few times. We learn nothing about these people. The symbolism is Ok, look, it isn't absolutely impossible to make a good movie without a plot. It's been done -- My Dinner with Andre, Babette's Feast -- but not often (and food helps). And not this time. There's good acting, but what else good can you say? Yeah, mean distant, dad. That sucks. And its been done rather a few times. We learn nothing about these people. The symbolism is obvious. The psychological tension, dialogue, camera work, etc. is all ok, plenty good enough to combine with a plot to make a good movie. But there is no plot. Nothing happens. "Hey, Andrey, you should make a movie". "Boris, what about?" "I don't know. Maybe some kids with a mean dad, and they could like, go on an adventure." "But what would happen?" "Well, the dad could have some mysterious hidden box, that would imply a dark hidden life, standing in for his mysterious disappearance from their life" "Wow, subtle. So what's in the box?" "Who cares? We'll make it dark, moody, unclear, never really end it." "Boris, what an idea. A dark Russian movie. Never been done." "Andrey, don't worry. Americans are morons. They'll think we are deep if there is no plot." Expand

1. The hurt and rage flying back and forth have primal power, like Russian-flavored Eugene O'Neill. It's rare for a movie to work as effectively as this one does on such parallel tracks.
  2. Reviewed by: Deborah Young
    Constructed like an eerie, metaphorical thriller, this tense, riveting character study offers viewers nearly two hours of emotions with a stunning pay-off no one will be expecting.
  3. With exceptional performances and extraordinary imagery, Zvyagintsev has fashioned a remarkable first feature.