DreamWorks Distribution | Release Date: October 18, 2002
4.3
Mixed or average reviews based on 364 Ratings
WATCH NOW
MJaquesMay 24, 2011
Oh my. I still don't understand why this fascinates people so. I bought this as a special edition DVD after hearing so much about it. And, well. It doesn't really scare. It's got some interesting plot pieces, and it's fine to watch... butOh my. I still don't understand why this fascinates people so. I bought this as a special edition DVD after hearing so much about it. And, well. It doesn't really scare. It's got some interesting plot pieces, and it's fine to watch... but it's really an overproduced, over-hyped, and rather awful horror movie. The Village will give more shock value, and the 'psychological horror' is simply not there. You won't have nightmares. You'll barely bat an eyelid. Most of the film is spent expecting something interesting to happen. It does. Maybe twice. Worth a cheap buy, or a late night boredom-killer. Expand
beingryanjudeAug 28, 2014
At the time, I recall an obsession amongst the public. Looking back, it's dated. Largely because of it's VHS nature. The Ring is successful in its thrills, but unfortunately not a Gore Verbinski masterpiece.
vikesh2206Nov 9, 2014
The Ring provides its fail share of thrills but fails to provide enough scares to live up to its "horror" premise, even with its interesting plot and characters.
eagleeyevikingDec 14, 2013
AndrewMJul 15, 2004
If this film were a graph, it would be a tabletop mountain, not a soaring Himalayan peak. It starts off promising and is genuinely scary in the first third or so, maintaining a chilling atmosphere and keeping this viewer significantly If this film were a graph, it would be a tabletop mountain, not a soaring Himalayan peak. It starts off promising and is genuinely scary in the first third or so, maintaining a chilling atmosphere and keeping this viewer significantly uncomfortable. But then it just unfortunately plateaus out and holds ground for a while. It then begins to peter out, delivers a climax of sorts (just a hiccup in the graph) before fading to a fairly forgettable finish. Maybe I expected too much, but I really don't think so - I was very impressed by the early scenes, but it just never reached its potential. I haven't seen the original so I can't compare the two. As a stand-alone movie this is well worth checking out, but in my humble amateur opinion this movie represents an abandoned construction site: all the solid foundations are there...but the job was never finished properly! Expand
MChevalierNov 2, 2002
As far as horror movies go I found this one bland and boring. While there were a few moments when I was startled by a sudden event at no time was I ever really scared (which is what a good horror movie is all about). Conceptually there were As far as horror movies go I found this one bland and boring. While there were a few moments when I was startled by a sudden event at no time was I ever really scared (which is what a good horror movie is all about). Conceptually there were some good ideas but they tended to be a bit underdeveloped. Expand
TelyS.Nov 3, 2002
The premise hooks the viewer in quite well. Too bad it looses serious steam in in act two, slowing things down to snail speed, and the plot holes are too glaring to to forgive.
ZiggyStardustNov 8, 2002
Entertaining, but not great.
EricH.Oct 20, 2002
It's nobody's choice for Best Pic, but this movie has more than enough gut-wrenching suspense to merit a recommendation.
RichardOct 21, 2002
Like a minor league "X-Files" episode but so lackadaisically written that a talented actress like Naomi Watts is left in the lurch. And how tired now is the whole preternaturally intelligent "Sixth Sense" boy-child cliche? The horse scene Like a minor league "X-Files" episode but so lackadaisically written that a talented actress like Naomi Watts is left in the lurch. And how tired now is the whole preternaturally intelligent "Sixth Sense" boy-child cliche? The horse scene knocked this up from a 4 to a 5, but otherwise you can see scarier things in shower drain clogs. Expand
BlancoA.Oct 25, 2002
Not bad as a thriller, but not nearly as shocking as I hoped it would be. The scariest part of the movie for me was the chick sitting behind me who would start shrieking at even the suggestion of a disturbing image hitting the screen. I had Not bad as a thriller, but not nearly as shocking as I hoped it would be. The scariest part of the movie for me was the chick sitting behind me who would start shrieking at even the suggestion of a disturbing image hitting the screen. I had to prepare myself for her reactions, which was pretty messed up. There was one Pink-Floydian image toward the beginning which creeped me out a bit, but other than that, it was fairly vanilla stuff. There's no sense in trying to figure out the logic of some of the events in this film, but a lot of the imagery was cool. I hope Naomi Watts goes for something in her next role that matches her work in the Lynchian masterpiece Mulholland Drive. Surprisingly, the lead actor in this thing was pretty darned good. For fans of horror, there's probably better stuff out there, but for non-fans who want to be thrilled a little bit, I'd recommend it. Expand
[Anonymous]Mar 7, 2003
The Japanese version is SO much better. In true hollywood style, all the subtlety is completely gone.
SusanS.Oct 25, 2002
This movie definitely contains some creepy, original scenes. And I stayed up talking with my friends about--this was, however, not because we were piecing clues together, but because there were a lot of plot holes that were left unanswered. This movie definitely contains some creepy, original scenes. And I stayed up talking with my friends about--this was, however, not because we were piecing clues together, but because there were a lot of plot holes that were left unanswered. There were a lot of great lines that pulled you in deeper into the story and then didn't take you anywhere. And the kid--c'mon, it's so cliched now that apparently no one questions the kid who is quite psychic. I'm definitely enjoying the rise of character-driven horror movies, and this one tried to, and could've, if only it had developed its characters. Expand
DaveC.May 5, 2004
I don't care if anyone thinks I'm a snob. This film is inferior to the original in every way. Lacking its distinctive style, clever use of lighting and cinematography, genuinely creepy soundtrack and a series of interesting I don't care if anyone thinks I'm a snob. This film is inferior to the original in every way. Lacking its distinctive style, clever use of lighting and cinematography, genuinely creepy soundtrack and a series of interesting revelations. What's left is a dumbed down remake that is in many ways dull, idiotic and naive with lame acting by Naomi Watts that suggests only a shadow of her brilliant perfroamcne in Mulholland Drive and 21 Grams. Gore Verbinskie doesn't even seem to understand the point of the original's name and adds all this nonsense about how "when you die, you see the Ring", the Killer video is also in CGI which in 20 years time will probably look hilarious. Want some quality psychological horror? Go watch Suspiria, The Exorcist, The Haunting, The Shining, Rosemary's Baby, Poltergeist, The Blair Witch Project, The Others or the original Ring and give this one a miss. Expand
MelNov 11, 2005
Let's face it, this movie is not scary. It draws you in because you wonder what happened to the little girl and why she wants to hurt people, but sleepless nights? I don't think so! 'White Noise' gave me sleepless nights Let's face it, this movie is not scary. It draws you in because you wonder what happened to the little girl and why she wants to hurt people, but sleepless nights? I don't think so! 'White Noise' gave me sleepless nights and is far scarier. This is just an interesting supernatural thriller. Expand
billrullerFeb 24, 2012
This movie came out when I was about 12 years old and never saw it b/c my older sister said it was too scary. I'm 19 at this time and finally saw the movie. Before I put in my thoughts, I am TERRIFIED of The Grudge. Kayako is by far myThis movie came out when I was about 12 years old and never saw it b/c my older sister said it was too scary. I'm 19 at this time and finally saw the movie. Before I put in my thoughts, I am TERRIFIED of The Grudge. Kayako is by far my biggest fear ever. But a lot of people say this is scarier. When I bought the DVD, I was prepared to be frightened. But honestly, I was wondering if this was the movie they were talking about. I didn't find the movie as scary as The Grudge. It didn't even feel like a horror film, more of a thriller like "The Sixth Sense." It shouldn't be compared to The Grudge, that movie scared me to death. This movie puts me to sleep. It had like 90% dialogue and 10% scare scene. The scene that did make me frightened was the beginning when a teenage girl gets killed. But the scene that did scare me was when Samara crawled out of the TV. But that's all they got? I was wondering if I got the right version, they say this was the scariest movie ever. But I looked it up, and it is the right version. I felt like this was a complete let down, I wanted to be scared **** However, if this is not as scary as people say it is, is it still bad? Possibly....no. The movie did make sense, the characters are likable, and the scenes are perfect. I will give the movie a little credit. But if you didn't see this movie yet and was thinking the same way I was, to be scared **** I would say go see The Grudge, Mirrors, and Insidious if you want to be scared. But still check this movie out if you like The Sixth Sense, you'll like this movie too. Expand
aaronpaul121Oct 3, 2012
It is definitely NOT a good horror film. It is really scary for me, to be honest. But when it comes to the technical aspects, it wasn't as good as those classic horror films. Overall, this is just average..............
savannahrummelDec 24, 2011
Though I am not a huge fan of horror movies, I was pleasantly thrilled by this movie. Unlike a lot of movies, The Ring did not focus solely on sex and violence to sell the plot, nor did it rely on sudden jolts or murderers jumping out at theThough I am not a huge fan of horror movies, I was pleasantly thrilled by this movie. Unlike a lot of movies, The Ring did not focus solely on sex and violence to sell the plot, nor did it rely on sudden jolts or murderers jumping out at the character in order to scare the audience. Instead, most of the horror came from the expectation of something scary, or from the disturbing nature of what was happening; the famous TV-scene was enough to make me avoid my television for a couple of hours. All in all, it was an entertaining movie and piqued my interest in the second one. Expand
csw12May 18, 2014
The Ring is too slow with nothing interesting happening for most of the movie. It's a disappointment when comes to being scary and providing any thrills.
Trev29May 24, 2014
The overall idea of the film is great and should provide for interesting movie watching, but the film is a total bore. Who wants to see a movie where the main character is annoying? Some many questions, so little answers.
JacobparkerMay 20, 2013
Not that scary.
Just the last scene, when Samara is coming out of the TV.
In conclusion "The Ring" is not bad, but there are some moments which didn't make sense at all, and it was not as scary as I expected.
Luke_McLaughlinJul 29, 2013
The Ring is a clever script that doesn't quite come through in the clutch. It leaves so many questions unanswered at the end of the film that it is frustrating. However, the entire movie keeps the viewer on the edge of their seat wanting toThe Ring is a clever script that doesn't quite come through in the clutch. It leaves so many questions unanswered at the end of the film that it is frustrating. However, the entire movie keeps the viewer on the edge of their seat wanting to know what will happen next. There are satisfying moments of suspense, tension, thrill, and fear. The film lacks exposition which hurts the main characters like-ability throughout, but despite the writing flaws Watts and Henderson do a decent job. The cinematography is breathtaking for a horror film and the sound mixing is exceptional. I have not indulged in the second of the series yet, but after this strong showing I will absolutely check it out. The Ring is a a few answers away from being a groundbreaking horror hit, and for die hard horror fans is a must see. Expand
MuddsjrNov 9, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Ring feels too lengthy in the solving of the mystery, with not much proper action coming from the girl herself coming out the Telly. It feels a horror story best told by ear, 'you watch a video of this possessed girl and you get a telephone call saying you die 7 days later'. The film as well leaves many plot holes, how did this girl somehow manage to make a video in the first place? Why is it intended to kill whoever watches it 7 days later? Also, did Naomi seriously go into her friend's flat, find his dead body in a chair, then just leave him there and run back to her flat?
It's summed up, a fairly average film with too abrupt an ending, I'll admit, it keeps your attention, but otherwise, I went through this film wanting more horror and consistency.
MovieManiac83Apr 23, 2015
To describe The Ring, two adjectives leap to mind: spooky and lame. The former refers to the tone and atmosphere, which are about as good as it gets for a ghost story. The latter refers to the storyline, which is about as poorly constructedTo describe The Ring, two adjectives leap to mind: spooky and lame. The former refers to the tone and atmosphere, which are about as good as it gets for a ghost story. The latter refers to the storyline, which is about as poorly constructed as can be imagined – a sad amalgamation of irritating contrivances and gaping plot holes that defy even a generous attempt to suspend disbelief. And, while I normally appreciate open-ended motion pictures, The Ring takes things too far by leaving about 75% of its questions unanswered. This isn't an artistic choice; it's screenwriting sloppiness, and it results in a profoundly dissatisfying experience.

I knew the moment I exited The Ring that I didn't like the movie, but the gloomy atmosphere is so seductive that it took me a while to realize why. The problem lies in the storytelling. The Ring is an incoherent mess, and the more you reflect upon it, the less credible it becomes. (Note: I'm using the word "credible" within the context of the horror/ghost story genre.) The movie seems to have been slapped together without concern about whether anything makes sense. The twist ending feels like something grafted on, and it left me with a question about which was more absurd – the revelation discovered by the main character or the manner in which she makes the discovery.

People who are easily unsettled by ghost stories will be freaked out by The Ring. Director Gore Verbinski has studied the masters and understands exactly what it takes to create the perfect "boo!" moment. The loud noise, the sudden movement, the musical stinger – they're all there, and Verbinski employs them with enough skill to apply the "gotcha!" to even the most jaded, veteran horror fanatic a time or two. Unfortunately, that's about all this movie has going for it – quick, cheap thrills. The Ring is a remake of a Japanese movie that I have not seen. Fans of the original swear by it, which leads me to believe that it must be a lot better than the American version.

Naomi Watts, making her follow-up to David Lynch's Mulholland Drive, is suitably appealing as Rachel. (Is it just me, or does Watts resemble a blond version of her friend, Nicole Kidman?) Martin Henderson is fine as her ex-boyfriend and investigative partner. And Brian Cox has a chilling cameo. Unfortunately, the other key player, child actor David Dorfman, is a blank slate. He comes across as a knockoff of Haley Joel Osment in The Sixth Sense – and that's a performance I wasn't terribly excited by in the first place.

I don't recommend The Ring, but it's the kind of movie that could play well to small groups watching it on TV with all the lights out. At least there's no overload of gore – Verbinski has elected to go the suspense route. Unfortunately, he has such a weak script that his efforts amount to a not-so-triumphant victory of style over substance.
MovieMasterEddyApr 3, 2016
Before you die, you see 'The Ring,' " as the ads for this American remake of a famous Japanese suspense film tell us. With ads like this, the movie has certainly built up a lot of anticipation. But while impressively made, this impassive andBefore you die, you see 'The Ring,' " as the ads for this American remake of a famous Japanese suspense film tell us. With ads like this, the movie has certainly built up a lot of anticipation. But while impressively made, this impassive and cold feature fails, in a spectacular fashion, to deliver the thrills.

The film, which opens nationwide today, is about an urban legend that has come to life: whenever a mysterious, unlabeled videotape is run, its unlucky viewer gets a phone call just after seeing it. The voice on the other end of the phone says simply, "Seven days." It's how long the viewer has to live — and the corpse looks like something out of a Francis Bacon daydream.

When her niece dies after seeing the tape, Rachel (Naomi Watts), a Seattle reporter, decides to investigate the rumors. And that's when "The Ring" begins its downward spiral. She watches the freakout videotape, which looks like a director's cut of "Closer," the video that starred the band Nine Inch Nails, complete with suffering animals, a fly crawling across the screen and static-ridden flash cuts. As music-video effluvia goes, this tape is not even as unnerving as the outfits Lenny Kravitz wears to the VH1 fashion awards.

Much of what follows consists of close-ups of the clues that Rachel, desperate to beat the clock and stay alive, sifts through to solve the mystery. The screen-filling shots of newspaper headlines and photographs chronicling the grisly deaths could be from a different kind of horror movie: "Night of the Working Dead," starring Nancy Drew.

Initially, Ms. Watts, the versatile star of David Lynch's "Mulholland Drive," does a fine job of communicating Rachel's off-putting toughness. Under the best of circumstances, she scares everyone but her son, Aidan (David Dorfman), and based on the dark circles under his eyes and his solemn, old-man's enunciation, he's got problems of his own. But once it becomes clear that tight-jawed anxiety is surprisingly the only note on her piano, the movie feels numbed. Eventually, the phone calls don't even generate the anxiety of telemarketer hits that come during dinnertime.

The director, Gore Verbinski, stages the opening with a tribute to "Scream," which itself was a tribute to "When a Stranger Calls" — the first scam thriller in which every single scare was in the movie's trailer. Perhaps the most puzzling thing about "The Ring" is that it seems to assume that horror-movie audiences have no memory.

David Dorfman, with his "Village of the Damned" haircut and precocious maturity, seems to have studied at the Haley Joel Osment School of Fine Acting. Though there are a few chilling moments — one big scene involving a horse on a ferry is spectacular — everything in "The Ring" feels recycled, including the picture's look and tone, which are reminiscent of "The Blair Witch Project." "Ringu," the Japanese original of "The Ring," preceded and probably inspired "Blair Witch." Copies of the director Hideo Nakata's 1997 cult classic have made the underground circuit like the deadly videotape that fills the center of the plot of "The Ring."

"Ringu" felt like an era-defining scare picture: whispers about its imminent remake have been drifting through chat rooms since word of its existence first made it to America. But the real spark came from the "Closer" video. And "Closer," the director Mark Romanek's grim, romanticized nightmare, with its well-appointed nihilism — honey dripped over Buñuel — was the perfect integration of visuals and the morose showmanship of the Nails leader Trent Reznor.

At least the channeling of "Ringu" in "The Ring" is reverent. Unfortunately, there are other problems. Mr. Verbinski can assemble a movie like a machine, which worked for the scare comedy '`Mouse Hunt." But here, the mechanical assembly simply emphasizes how devoid of feeling the film is. One particular scene is just such a hollow set piece: a mentally handicapped young man pushes himself backward on a carousel while yet another crucial nugget of plot information is delivered. "The Ring" is there to be admired instead of to creep you out. There's also much huffing and puffing to add a psychological underpinning to the plot.

"The Ring" also rejects the fear-of-girls stain that covered its original. The cinematographer Bojan Bazelli does tone up the bleary-eyed interiors — the movie's color scheme is "Exorcist" green and rotting-plaster white — but it doesn't make much difference; rather, it just exaggerates the relentless sameness. The Seattle location must have been chosen for its sunless, drizzly skies; there are so many shots of car windows weeping with rain that theaters should pass out squeegees.

This seems to be the season for horror movies that are basically teases — offering a promise of a good scare and then running away before delivering. "The Ring" is just one more in that cycle.