7.7

1. Oct 5, 2011
    "The Rocky Horror PIcture Show" is a terrible example of what happens when you forcefully fuse different genres into one big pot. Nevertheless, the music is great and at least the film earns recognition as the 'godfather' of all cult films mostly due to a true crazy performance by Tim Curry. A fan boy must-watch.
  2. Oct 1, 2010
    An amazing movie with many themes and messages. From the concept of pleasure to human worth this movie is truly a thought provoking interesting viewing experience. The music and wildness is also a plus!
  3. Jan 30, 2011
    Totally on the money as a representation of dark humour but time has aged this film and there is no denying that it is not scary. Tim Curry is made of the stuff of legends and he is the only bright spark in an otherwise slightly dull experience. Wholly relevant but underwhelming and slightly too niche for my tastes. I am sure this works better as literature or musical. 72/100
  4. Oct 11, 2010
    Couple at wedding, get engaged themselves, long drive home, take wrong turn & get puncture, stop at castle, gender-bending mayhem.
    Richard O'Brien's musical which has caused students to dress up in underwear everywhere and do that bloody dance!
    It is very tongue-in-cheek, and the songs are well written, mostly in that early 70s style with a fifities feels that was going on at the time,
    although some of the acting a little wooden. Tim Curry however stands out oozing sexuality as the cross-dressing Frank N Furter & blows everyone else away whatever scene he is in. Collapse
  5. Nov 1, 2011
    The Rocky Horror Picture Show is best described as "high camp". That is to say, the film is a masterclass in gaudy costumes, flamboyant song-and-dance numbers and hammy dialogue - it's fully aware of what it is and is not afraid to exploit it to the nth degree. Rocky Horror is far more than a mere camp-classic, however, it's an extremely clever semi-parody of cheap 50s sci-fi movies presented in the form of a rock-musical - there's nothing else like it in the world! The film has undeniably become a cultural phenomenon over the years thanks to its fanatical cult following, and it's easy to see why. The songs are catchy and easy to join in with, there's plenty of humour throughout, of both the unashamedly bizarre and more grounded variety, and of course, there's Tim Curry. He gives the performance of his career as Dr. Frank N. Furter - part mad scientist, part cross-dressing rockstar, and you can't help but smile whenever he's on screen. The creative mind behind the whole Rocky Horror project (both film and stage show), Richard O'Brien needs to be commended for bringing together such a staggeringly wide range of ideas into one (relatively) coherent entity - he's obviously an avid film fan, so he packs Rocky Horror full of references for cinephiles to lap up, but he's also a talented song and screen writer, musician and of course he portrays the decidedly creepy, yet strangely likeable "handyman" Riff Raff. You're carried along supping this strange filmic **** quite happily for the majority of the film, but it is in its last twenty minutes or so that Rocky Horror disappoints a little. It's almost as though everyone's run out of steam, and so we drift towards a rather damp and unsatisfying conclusion. Perhaps we were taken in by all the bright lights and fishnets of the rest of the film, but the fact remains that Rocky Horror's final act is its weakest element. That said, you'll hardly care if you see The Rocky Horror Picture Show as it was meant to be seen - with a group of friends, perhaps dressed up, and participating in the whole experience, especially the Time Warp. Expand
  6. Nov 1, 2011
    Rocky Horror is definitely a film of two halves. The first half is a wonderfully chipper exercise in fantastical film making. The second unfortunately drags as the film becomes too wrapped up in making a point, be it through the music, or the bizarre costumes. However the 2nd half doesnt stop Rocky from being one of the most unique, exhilarating films I have seen in a while with an opening hour that trundles along at a brisk pace to some loud and proud musical numbers too wonderful to spoil.
    The best part of Rocky, even as the film turns glacial towards the end is Tim Curry. His portrayal of Dr Frank N Furter is so honest and electric that he lights up the screen. He is so incredibly fearless in his actions and his performance, its a pleasure to watch. The film strives for camp and achieves it but it also has great satire mixed in providing some hilarious moments. Overall the film is thoroughly original with some great comedy and musical numbers with a great lead in Tim Curry. It's only flaw is the last 30 minutes slow the story down so much it ruins the thrill given by the rest of it.
  7. Nov 5, 2012
    To celebrate the Halloween, inadvertently I found out that this perennial cult classic would be shown in cinemas with its original version, which prompted my belated viewing of this notorious B-movie tour-de-force for the first time, although B-movie has evaded my entire childhood and I have barely watched any the classics to which the film pays its overt tribute, but, the film is a satisfactory and daring musical with its campy costumes and music arrangement (a **** of Glam Rock-New Wave-Nu-Disco musical numbers and giddying dancing routines), a perfect option for its groupies and people who are repellent to horror genre in Halloween. There were a bunch of devotees inside the full-packed screen hall, but the sing-along spectacle didn Expand
  8. Apr 2, 2012
    This is a bad movie. Probably give it a 3 and I'm surprise I'm giving them that. It just so stupid. They're nothing good at all in this movie. I dont see why you like it this much. Its so stupid. This is for the mental challenged. Don't watch this movie. I'm Savin you here.
  9. Nov 15, 2012
    this movie was rpetty bad, at least i think. i don't know why it has an 8.1 here!! this movie has NO JOKES in it at all and NO SCARY either. your supposed to watch it in a room full of nerds who shout stupid stuff at it that is also not funny. it is a ripoff of rifftrax but less funy.
  10. Nov 15, 2012
    lets do some detective work... you take rocky horror picture show. well obv all movies are picture shows and all scary movies are horror... all you are left with is "rocky." this movie is worse than the rockies that i have seen (regular, Balboa) and much gayer.

only reason people like this is because other people like it and they want to fit in. there is a lesson here and that is BE YORUSELF
  11. Oct 25, 2013
    I really want to hate this movie, but I those songs just can not be erased and are catchy as hell.

The comedy is feels a bit forced most of the time, but Curry, as, usual, give a fantastic and unforgettable performance (yet leaving me feeling really confused at the same time.) However when the movie tries to have a serious moment, or just plain old exposition, it tends to drag a bit.

Overall:
    For what it is and when it came out, it is surprisingly original. But it is the songs that steal show and make this the cult classic that is. Like I said before, I despise this movie. Yet I also really enjoy it. The movie leaves me feeling wrong all over, yet entertained.
  12. Jan 27, 2013
    This film is odd, so let's just get that out of the way. It starts off a lot stronger than it finishes, and while it has some strong performances from the cast and some great musical numbers it's all just a little too left of center for me. The whole 'alien' thing was a little unexpected and sort of throws the film off balance, as does most of the last half hour. Overall it will be remembered for those songs like 'Time Warp' but the movie itself is just plain weird and not one I would recommend. Expand
  13. Oct 26, 2013
    If you are able to understand the bizarre surroundings, which combines the comedy and other things like music, then you will love it. is a unique film in its kind... Very good movie.
  14. Mar 19, 2014
    The Rocky Horror Picture Show is zany, wild, unpredictable; that's what makes it a cult classic. Tim Curry gives a performance so abnormal and noticeable that you can't help but love his character, and the music and dance numbers are fresh and bursting with energy.
  15. Oct 13, 2013
    The soundtrack is magnificent so many great songs that I cannot pick which is the best; I love Hot Patootie, Science Fiction Double Feature, Sword of Damocles, Eddie, Touch-a Touch-a Touch-a Touch Me, Sweet Transvestite, Over at the Frankenstein Place, and of course the Time Warp.
    Every character is great in their own way. Tim Curry in his film debut deserved all of his plaudits for
    mastering the role. Sarandon and Bostwick are very good as what can be seen as the protagonists. O'Brien's Riff Raff is a very interesting character, one of my favourites. Patricia Quinn's Magenta is full of flair. My fellow Aussie Nell Campbell puts in an underrated performance as Columbia. The other four characters- Dr Scott, Rocky Horror, the Criminologist and Eddie also have key supporting roles.
    The plot is genius is a ridiculous sort of way. Transvestites from outer space? As also mentioned by bigj1415, the messages and themes of the film are interesting and thought provoking.
    Overall, the Rocky Horror Picture Show is one of my favourite movies, and I will never deny an opportunity to watch it. 10/10
  16. Jan 5, 2014
    This movie was the 70's to me and a lot of others, great rock and roll, outrageousness and great ballads. The cast is great, and the jokes still pack a punch, warning...this movie still will shock you!

1. Reviewed by: Trevor Johnston
    Mar 22, 2014
    The material inspires affection, given its knowing pastiche of everything from Universal horrors to '50s grade-Z sci-fi, and a shamelessly hedonistic, fiercely independent sensibility that must have seemed a welcome relief from the mainstream bombast of other '70s musicals.
    Dr. Furter is played by a British actor named Tim Curry, who bears a certain resemblance to Loretta Young in drag. He's the best thing in the movie, maybe because he seems to be having the most fun.
  3. Reviewed by:  Variety Staff
    Most of the jokes that might have seemed jolly fun on stage now appear obvious and even flat. The sparkle's gone.