7.4

1. Aug 14, 2012
    This is the most down-rated movie ever! Great director, fu**ing good actor and a perfect story. A superb family, who cant evolve because of their own fear.
  2. Aug 14, 2010
    WORST FILM EVER!!!!!!! Boring, not funny, terrible, everything about it is rubbish, i hate it. Seriously, how it got good reviews is beyond me. There are so many better comedies out there.
  3. ALF
    Apr 3, 2011
    Reminds me of the bad old days when American comedy exports were not funny they were just appalling. Anyone who found this nonsense funny really needs to get out and get a life. This film was utter dross from beginning to end and a total waste of Gene Hackman and the rest of the cast looked really bored all the way through. Wes Anderson has no sense of humour, no talent and should go back to commercials. The fact this film was put up for awards proves to me professional critics have not got a clue about the film industry and should go and get real jobs as they clearly have no talent as film critics, mainly because I doubt they even see the films they write about. Expand
  4. Jun 26, 2011
    I'm actually surprised by the user reviews of this film. This film hits all the right spots. Along with Rushmore, Wes Anderson has already created the new foundation for future comedy-dramas in just his first few films. I'm willing to debate that what Anderson has done for the "dramedy" is similar to what Martin Scorsese did for the crime drama. In tone and pace (not to mention their use of camera techniques), their work will be copied for decades to come. The Royal Tenenbaums is hilarious, heartbreaking, and if you're paying attention, filled with emotion of all corners. Great ensemble cast, great narration by Alec Baldwin, and for those who call it off-beat, I question your rhythm. Gene Hackman delivers his finest performance to date. The best film of 2001, possibly the decade, and my favorite film of all time. Expand
  5. Aug 31, 2011
    The Whole thing about the dysfunctional family, that reunites for the sake of a sick family member (Royal Tenenbaun, played by Gene Hackman, which by the way he was fantastic on the movie), i enjoyed watching it, the final scene I wasn't expecting for that, so that made me like it even more, i do think it was a good movie, with a great cast.
  6. Feb 20, 2014
    The Royal Tenenbaums contains all the usual things Wes Anderson puts in his movies. Quirky effective humor and jokes, unique interesting characters, an unpredictable plot and that bizarre visual flair. The fact that I can always tell when I'm watching a Wes Anderson movie just by looking at one frame draws me to his work. The Royal Tenenbaums is one of his best, ever second is enjoyable and I cannot even stress how ridiculously entertaining the last 20 minutes is. One of my favorite comedies, worth watching as long as you understand Anderson's type of humor. Expand
  7. Aug 27, 2010
    Rarely do the elements of detaching quirkiness and heartbreaking drama combine to create such an irresistible product. Of course at the helm is Wes Andersen whose (borderline OCD) meticulous craft completely pays off for the enjoyment of the viewer.
  8. Nov 2, 2010
    With an excellent cast and a very entertaining "style" this movie is lots of fun to watch. I've watched it multiple times and I could watch many scenes in it over and over again. This movie will talk to a lot of young people but at the same time it's not for everyone. That should not be hard to figure out though.
  9. Jan 27, 2012
    For all the detail and production, all the characters are monotone! Even people who LOVE this movie give a "but" to their explanation. Be honest. It's a large glass of rum and coke with mostly coke in it.
  10. Jul 7, 2012
    The Royal Tenenbaums is an extremely funny and devastatingly sad movie from Wes Anderson. With superb acting, exquisite timing and an unbelievably brilliant script, The Royal Tenebaums is perfect in every way. If you want to cry yourself to sleep, I have five words for you; "I've had a rough year."
  11. Aug 31, 2012
    At first, I wasn't quite sure what to make of The Royal Tenenbaums, but as you gradually get to know the titular weird and wonderful dysfunctional clan, and experience the same trials and tribulations that they do, you truly grow to care for them. As always with Wes Anderson's films it's beautifully written, and simple but striking in its visual style. A brilliantly talented ensemble cast perform for your pleasure, and Gene Hackman is simply mesmerising as the complex Tenenbaum patriarch who is far more than another distant father - he's a real puzzle-box of a character whose layers are gradually pealed back as the narrative progresses. Gwyneth Paltrow and Luke Wilson also stand out as the severely depressed adopted daughter and the youngest son who has drifted aimlessly through life since his career as a professional tennis player floundered. The title cards used between narrative segments of the film, presented like chapters of a novel are a little irritating, and tend to break up the flow of the story rather than link this tale to storytelling tropes of classic literature, as was likely the intention. This is a minor gripe though, and The Royal Tenenbaums remains an engrossing, darkly comic tale of short-lived successes and persistent failures, love and hate, joy and depression, and above all else, family. Expand
  12. Feb 19, 2012
    I have found that this movie polarizes people into two camps. You are either going to hate it or love it. I personally think that it is one of the greatest movies ever made, but I like everything that Wes Anderson has directed. It has one of the most amazing casts that has ever been assembled, and every actor shines in his/her own unique way in this movie. If you are looking for a laugh out loud comedy that is filled to the brim with sex, farts, and genitals than this is definitely not the movie for you. If, however, you are looking for a subtly funny, and deeply moving movie that has the ability to stay with you for years to come than I recommend this movie to you.

Side note- I don't know what it is exactly, but I am totally in love with Margot Tenenbaum. Maybe it is her wooden ring finger. Perhaps it is her black eyeliner. Maybe it is because she never really smiles. It's weird. She is so not my type, but I just want to . . .

Anyways. Check this one out.
  13. Apr 4, 2012
    Its absolutely terrible. The acting ,or rather lack of it, is terrible. The entire film is really just poor from start to finish and an absolute waste of time.
  14. Dec 26, 2013
    The characters go from fascinating to funny to complete dead weight much like the movie itself. It had moments of great potential, but they are eventually sucked up with a lot of boring weird scenes.
  15. Jun 25, 2012
    Una película que es difícil de catalogar, ya comienza a generar expectativas. ¿Comedia o drama? Antípodas que rara vez permiten compartir protagonismo con igual intensidad. The Royal Tenenbaums es una película que se debate entre estos dos géneros, que el ingenioso guión permite deleitarse con impresionantes actuaciones y navegar entre sonrisas pícaras y duelos de vida. Una postura arriesgada que divide al público entre desconcierto y aclamación, un filme que abre el camino de consolidación a un director por su particular propuesta estética y manera de ironizar realidades.
    Reseña completa: http://cineplacebos.webnode.es/news/un-mundo-en-una-familia/
  16. Jul 24, 2013
    Wes Anderson is truly on display here. The quirkiness of this family certainly shines through with great acting from the whole cast. Good, fun comedy here without a doubt. But, if you're going to watch this, be ready for it to be weird.

1. Over the course of 108 minutes, The Royal Tenenbaums drops downward on the humor scale from hilarious to funny to quirky to pretentiously bizarre to chaotic.
    Anderson offers no phony uplift for the Tenenbaums or for audiences. But he does know how to take a sad song and make it better. In these troubled times, that's a gift.
  3. It's a B+, not an A. This would be enough for most filmmakers. But Anderson must contend with a higher standard. It's his fault for being original.