6.3

1. Oct 31, 2011
    superb film. thats all that needs to be said. like fresh air to parched lungs. the film does everything it sets out to do! don't be put off by delusional reviewers who have become so blinded by the hollywood blockbuster. the film provides a welcome change to the film industry that i believe everyone should be a part of
  2. Oct 28, 2011
    Having read the book years ago, and not expecting much, I was pleasantly surprised and ultimately delighted with this honest, real, touching, homage to the memory of the man, whose work and presence on this earth, has meant so much, to so many people. The film is light but heavy too. If you just sit back and let it, its charm should engage. It's not for everyone, there can be difficulty,Having read the book years ago, and not expecting much, I was pleasantly surprised and ultimately delighted with this honest, real, touching, homage to the memory of the man, whose work and presence on this earth, has meant so much, to so many people. The film is light but heavy too. If you just sit back and let it, its charm should engage. It's not for everyone, there can be difficulty, but life's that way, so what? Deal with it. Or maybe not. I can certainly say, I enjoyed it, and will see it again, very soon. Expand
  3. Mar 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "We're not like the others. We're your friends." Oscar Z. Acosta aka Dr. Gonzo

If you are a Hunter S. Thompson fan, an aspiring writer or just a weirdo freak, then this is one more great movie that will make you feel at home, no matter where you happen to be. Of course, it makes much more sense to actually read nowadays, for all sorts of devious advantages, but, with the main vein strapped into the American Dream Machine, this is a sobering second place for lost souls and harmless maniacs alike. Be warned though fellow traveler in the land of the weird, Johnny Depp does not want to tell you what you want to hear in this movie. HST speaks from the grave through Depp to tell you exactly what you need to hear. As a result, it is little wonder this movie did not receive a wide release but, it is, however, an instant underground classic for swine who prefer to see the world as it is, sans the rose colored glasses of hypocritical greed, clinically depressed decadence and gross debauchery.

A word of caution lest you be of the meek and timid sort. This is a dose of reality seldom seen in a movie or work of literature. This is a story for what Nietzsche referred to as the "Ã
  4. Oct 16, 2012
    Original and funny movie, with good acting all round. Set on the exotic island of puerto rico our protagonist (Depp) himself is already colourful to begin with; and as to be expected during his adventures there, is surrounded by all sorts of people of the same league.

The story builds up slowly but never gets boring, it's an intelligent way of storytelling and a fresh breeze of air in a movie market, mainly dominated by predictable hollywood action movies.
    It reminds me a little of the recent Woody Allen movies in that it contains a original plot, good acting and a a slow but steady storyline mixed with lot's of funny moments.

1. Reviewed by: Philip Wilding
    Nov 7, 2011
    A fitting tribute to Hunter and the demise of the American Dream, but first and foremost a thrilling and funny snapshot of a country on its knees and a writer finding his feet.
    The Rum Diary has no mighty gonzo wind. Even with a push from its Thompson-worshipping star, Johnny Depp, it leaves our freak flag limp.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Oct 28, 2011
    Depp is disappointingly recessive here, as he often is when he's playing characters who don't have an antic streak.