7.8

1. May 19, 2014
    I really enjoyed this. A wonderful surprise that was elevated by Kristen Stewart's superb performance as Joan Jett. Fanning also did a good job. Cool music.
  2. Mar 31, 2013
    The Runaways is a nice little film about a rock band spiraling out of control. Let's face facts though, we've seen this movie a million times before (Velvet Goldmine, Almost Famous, That Thing You Do) and this one plays it very much by the numbers. Still, it works well enough for a pleasant night's viewing.
  3. IAC
    Nov 24, 2012
    This movie confused the definitively passive Cherie Currie with anything even closely resembling a protagonist. Fanning's performance was good, but the story was miswritten, and should have focused on the character who actually drove the action, made the decisions, and who was in every way the hero: Joan Jett. The conflict was unclear, Currie gave us nothing to root for, and it fell backThis movie confused the definitively passive Cherie Currie with anything even closely resembling a protagonist. Fanning's performance was good, but the story was miswritten, and should have focused on the character who actually drove the action, made the decisions, and who was in every way the hero: Joan Jett. The conflict was unclear, Currie gave us nothing to root for, and it fell back on the typical story of a rock star brought low by the lifestyle. The movie was soft-spoken and meandering; completely at odds with the hard-nosed grit of its subject matter. There's a good story somewhere in the history of the Runaways, but this wasn't it. Expand
  4. WFT
    Oct 20, 2010
    This flick rocks, and I mean that in every way possible. As someone who lived the '70's it was a blast to see the kinds of girls I knew doing things that the mommies of today (who did it) REALLY don't want their daughters to see. Kristen Stewart bored me to tears in Twilight flicks, but she kicked ass as Joan Jett, and Dakota Fanning has never done a bad role in her entire life. PlayingThis flick rocks, and I mean that in every way possible. As someone who lived the '70's it was a blast to see the kinds of girls I knew doing things that the mommies of today (who did it) REALLY don't want their daughters to see. Kristen Stewart bored me to tears in Twilight flicks, but she kicked ass as Joan Jett, and Dakota Fanning has never done a bad role in her entire life. Playing Cherrie Currie at 15, while 15, was an awsome performance that Dakota can notch-up in her amazing career arc. Michael Shannon put himself on the map with me forever as Kim Fowley, and I love him in Boardwalk Empire. The Seventies came back to life, with bisexual girls exploding in freedom and creativity while being the wild stoners they actually were. The interview with Cherrie Currie today (unbelievably hot at 50!) was great too. SEE THIS FLICK! Expand
  5. Oct 18, 2010
    This movie kicks ass and takes my favorite so far this year. The music is awesome, great performances by the cast and it makes me wanna be a rockstar! Watch this movie :O)
  6. Aug 11, 2010
    A competent yet uninspired take on the band's history from which it receives its title, Floria Sigismondi attempts to paint a picture of unfettered youth in 1970's Los Angeles, but ultimately is unable to finish what she started. A strong first two acts with impressive performances from both of its leads (Stewart and Fanning) gets the audience invested, only to leave them unfulfilled byA competent yet uninspired take on the band's history from which it receives its title, Floria Sigismondi attempts to paint a picture of unfettered youth in 1970's Los Angeles, but ultimately is unable to finish what she started. A strong first two acts with impressive performances from both of its leads (Stewart and Fanning) gets the audience invested, only to leave them unfulfilled by an aimless conclusion. Michael Shannon shines (as always) as the irreverent band manager Kim Fowley and brings humor to what would have been a rather tedious investigation into teenage angst. Certainly not for everyone, those who are fans of the band or music in general will enjoy the quality of the music segments and the mostly well-crafted recreation of the era. Everyone else will have to subsist on the performances alone in an effort to ignore the rather bland story structure. Expand
  7. pattiF
    May 2, 2010
    Meh, the soundtrack was good. I don't remember Joan Jett being so awkward. Overall, I wish I had waited for it to be available on HBO or something. As a story, it didn't get my attention as much as the documentary that was done a few years back.
  8. KevinB
    Apr 23, 2010
    If you grew up in the 70's and listened to this music, then this is a must see.
  9. FreeJeff
    Apr 16, 2010
    I would only recommend this movie if you have a particular interest in the band or that era in rock history. Even on that level it's flat. Despite good acting performances, the screenplay is a tediously predictable "rise and fall of" cliche, and it's lacking the raw energy of the music. Too bad, the subject matter deserves better.
  10. josee
    Apr 8, 2010
    The best thing about this film were the performances. Dakota Fanning was brilliant. This is the type of performance that will be talked about for years. Stewart was also very good as was Shannon. Overall, very entertaining. Flawed but entertaining. See it. Trust me. You'll like it. Maybe even love it.
  11. ScottY
    Mar 30, 2010
    Movie. Kicked. Ass.
  12. Abbylee
    Mar 25, 2010
    Kristen Stewart was not spot on as Joan Jett. She was awful and it was obvious that she was trying to be punk. It was like watching Bella Swan with black eyeliner. She only knows how to play herself and that's not a good thing. The struggle to attempt to show emotion is always evident. Dakota Fanning showed some range and gave a convincing performance as Cherie, though some scenes Kristen Stewart was not spot on as Joan Jett. She was awful and it was obvious that she was trying to be punk. It was like watching Bella Swan with black eyeliner. She only knows how to play herself and that's not a good thing. The struggle to attempt to show emotion is always evident. Dakota Fanning showed some range and gave a convincing performance as Cherie, though some scenes seemed too forced, which could be her fault or the fault of the director or the scipt. Michael Shannon was brilliant. Some lines were way too cheesy to be cool. Expand
  13. BethR.
    Mar 23, 2010
    Nice cinematography, good music. Stewart gives an excellent performance, she embodies Joan Jett and has a real presence on screen. Story is a bit jumbled though.
  14. AlejandroC.
    Mar 22, 2010
    Story was told so by the book and this movie might set a record for montages (1st time film director worked primarily as a music video director) I can't complain about actresses b/c they never seemed to be given a chance to act. Kristen seemed pretty cool as Joan Jett. I don't know....maybe the Runaways story wasn't a movie? But I can't help but think that this in the Story was told so by the book and this movie might set a record for montages (1st time film director worked primarily as a music video director) I can't complain about actresses b/c they never seemed to be given a chance to act. Kristen seemed pretty cool as Joan Jett. I don't know....maybe the Runaways story wasn't a movie? But I can't help but think that this in the hands of say, Paul Thomas Anderson would have had potential to be great. Expand
  15. AdamT.
    Mar 22, 2010
    The Worst Movie I have ever seen. Horrible cast, And their music sucks. Kristen Stewart was not the right actress for this role. Her movies even suck.
  16. JohnB.
    Mar 21, 2010
    I was at the premeir at sxsw Austin with some stars in tow; enjoyed the movie yet some things were left hanging...the audience seemed to approve of it.

Far from a perfect movie, but there are moments when it comes about as close to catching the visceral kick of the pre-iPod rock experience as any film I've ever seen.
  2. In patches it's agreeably lurid, but it's otherwise ho-hum.
  3. The vigor and pace is electric, and the movie features three showy performances by Kristen Stewart, Dakota Fanning and Michael Shannon.