The Sacrament

5.9

1. Dec 27, 2014
    This was a surprisingly good Netflix hidden gem. It's a very simple movie with lots of atmosphere and thrills, and cults just freak me out in general. Recommended if you have Netflix.
  2. Jan 20, 2016
    Summary: Well-acted and intriguing, The Sacrament is definitely Ti West's least boring horror film to date. 73/100 [B]

I'm not a huge fan of Ti West's previous work and I was not interested at all in this film, also because the poster is kinda boring; but I like the cast so I decided to see it. It boasts a very talented cast that was also involved in the movie You're Next, such as: Joe Swanberg, AJ Bowen and Amy Seimetz. The Sacrament left me very surprised and satisfied. In my opinion this is the first film directed by Ti West that is not boring. I enjoyed it so much, it is found-footage done well. In my opinion, The House of the Devil and The Innkeepers were two of the most boring horror films I've seen, of course they are good movies, but both of them have too many suspense and nothing interesting happens in 80% of their running time.

I've seen a lot of crappy found-footage movies this year and most of them sucked, such as: Alien Abduction, Delivery and Mr. Jones. Unlike them, The Sacrament is that rare found-footage film that succeeds. It has huge premise that is very well handled by this talented director. It's based on a true story called "The Jonestown Massacre" and that makes the film scarier. Of course it has some flaws especially in its second half, but the violence and the whole atmosphere of the film compensates for its flaws. I'm glad that I didn't know anything about this flick, I just pressed the play button without knowing anything about the plot and without watching the trailer, I recommend you to do the same.

The performances during the whole film were superb and believable; my favorite ones came from Gene Jones, AJ Bowen and the best one yet Amy Seimetz! There is actually a tense scene between two siblings, performed by Kentucker Audley and Amy Seimetz, it is one of my favorite scenes in the movie because it was shocking and realistic; the last 30 minutes are wickedly violent, without being too gory. I also like the production value, everything looks good and doesn't look cheap at all. One of the most notable things in The Sacrament is how mysterious and well developed were its characters. Also, "Father" performed by Gene Jones was annoying as hell but in a good way, he holds the greatest moments of the film.

It is thought-provoking at times, in its first half it makes you think about the way of how we live today's life with all those new technologies and stuff. I mean, it has some social commentary very well explained and all of this was quite interesting to me. I give it a 7/10 because it has some plot holes and the second half of the movie was kinda messy. Found-footage movies may be tiresome for some people but in this film this element is very well handled by West, and the presence of the camera is smart and has sense. The Sacrament is one of the best horror films of the year; it is not perfect at all but it shows the power of a leader and how far will he go. It takes to itself seriously and it is painful to watch at times. I really liked it, Ti West has a new fan. [B]
  3. Jan 4, 2016
    The Sacrament was surprisingly good. This is the kind of thriller/horror movie I like: realistic, not over-the-top, and compelling. Some of the critics say the plot moved along too slowly, but as someone who has an extremely short attention span, I was actually thoroughly captivated by this movie. It was really interesting to watch the mystery of this cult unfold, and it seemed like theyThe Sacrament was surprisingly good. This is the kind of thriller/horror movie I like: realistic, not over-the-top, and compelling. Some of the critics say the plot moved along too slowly, but as someone who has an extremely short attention span, I was actually thoroughly captivated by this movie. It was really interesting to watch the mystery of this cult unfold, and it seemed like they were first and foremost trying to tell a story rather than trying to shock you, which is much more important in my opinion. Also, for being an obviously low budget film, the production value was really good, and the acting was top notch. I legitimately thought this was a Vice documentary for the first 10 minutes! Expand
  4. Aug 22, 2015
    While it has no real reason to be a found footage movie, The Sacrament tells a horrifying story based on true events. Knowing the story is based on true events only adds the to terror. The acting, visuals, and over all quality is amazing. The movie takes a bit of time to get going, but once it does you're in for a treat.

1. Reviewed by: Mike McCahill
    Sep 22, 2014
    Ti West's latest feels both more expansive – choppering Vice reporters into a seemingly progressive tropical utopia raises intriguing social themes – and yet a marked disappointment.
  2. Reviewed by: Robert Abele
    Jun 12, 2014
    The first half is a cautiously dread-inducing tour de force as the suspicious interlopers parse the shiny, happy members for signs of a darker version of paradise... The second half, however, when all hell breaks loose a little too quickly, is the disappointment.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Keough
    Jun 12, 2014
    West’s film differs from the “Blair Witch” template in that the footage is never actually “found.”