8.9

1. Jan 9, 2012
    They couldn't pick anyone better than Jack Black to make the movie. He's funny and a big rock fan. The children are awesome musicians. The acting is pretty good overall. Not incredible but pretty good. The soundtrack is amazing and the whole idea for the movie is awesome. Great.
  2. Jan 9, 2011
    Jack Black is awesome in this rock comedy. It's not the best comedy I ever seen though.
  3. Mar 29, 2012
    It is an overall very good time. This is one of Jack Black's best moments because of a great performance and unique plot.
  4. Dec 9, 2014
    This is a really fun film - and we all need more of those.
    Jack Black can be "over the top" and he's WAY over the top in this but it succeeds by being cute, fun and silly at the same time. The film feels like it's only a few minutes long as it zips by. The extras on the DVD are fun too !!
  5. Nov 7, 2010
    not excellent, but Jack Black was funny
  6. Apr 26, 2012
    The school of rock, like nacho libre (another Jack Black film), is hilarious, its possibly even better the nacho libre, I love it so much, its a hilarious classic (not all classics are good, but this one is!)
  7. Mar 17, 2012
    Awesome. Jack Black is believable first as a mooch and then as a motivational instructor because as both he's a dreamer and untroubled by the realities of the real world. Joan Cusack is fantastic 'I didn't used to be this tightly wound'. And some of the students were far out talented
  8. Aug 29, 2014
    Oh, it's cheesy. It's Jack Black--how could it not? But there's something warm about it. School of Rock is often touching, even amidst some questionable musicalities.
  9. Mar 31, 2013
    I wanted to take the guitar strings and strangle Jack Black, but besides that The School of Rock is a very good film that incorporates some excellent music.
  10. Apr 1, 2012
    First off, this is a 9 out of 10. Acting is good. Jack black is great in the film. He's real funny. Music is really good throughout the movie. Story is also really good. Overall, this is a really good film. Even with the pg-13, everyone should see it. Highly recommended.
  11. Sep 3, 2012
    This was a really fun movie to watch. Some great funny acting by the adults and by the kids. Great concept that was done pretty damn well. I even enjoyed the music.
  12. May 1, 2012
    Jack does an amazing job of bringing it home with a face-melter. Watch this movie and prepare to be rocked, as well as come away with some great one-liners.
  13. Nov 13, 2012
    A fun, light-hearted farce that is punctuated by some surprising depth and feeling. School of Rock is a winner, and, to quote Dewy, it kicks ass.
  14. Nov 28, 2012
    It may not be as funny as it is charming, but "School Of Rock" is an entertaining experience overall.
  15. Dec 11, 2014
    It was a great movie to watch, and Jack Black made the perfect role for Dewey. But the jokes and acting was so cheesy that it hurt. Its still good but the roles had a better place. Jack Black was a star, everyone else was just a spot-taker.
  16. Mar 22, 2014
    How can you resist the power of The School of Rock? It's charming, funny, entertaining, and enjoyable, making only the occasional misstep. This movie is Jack Black at his best.
  17. Mar 28, 2015
    This is one of those movies that seemingly everyone likes. In this respect, I disagree with 'everyone'. The plot sits on a chasm (how does nobody recognize that Dewey--whom I cannot call the movie's 'hero'--is a phony? Seriously, I thoroughly agreed with Patty telling him to wise up) and there's a sad paucity of truly original music. Most of the jokes are funny, yes, but I do not subscribeThis is one of those movies that seemingly everyone likes. In this respect, I disagree with 'everyone'. The plot sits on a chasm (how does nobody recognize that Dewey--whom I cannot call the movie's 'hero'--is a phony? Seriously, I thoroughly agreed with Patty telling him to wise up) and there's a sad paucity of truly original music. Most of the jokes are funny, yes, but I do not subscribe to the notion that 'funny excuses anything'. Expand

1. The School of Rock was made by gifted veterans of the American indie scene, but it's still the most unlikely great movie of the year.
    School of Rock kicks ass. It's one movie that definitely goes to eleven.
  3. The film hits another comic mother lode in the byplay between Black and Cusack.