8.8

1. Jan 9, 2012
    They couldn't pick anyone better than Jack Black to make the movie. He's funny and a big rock fan. The children are awesome musicians. The acting is pretty good overall. Not incredible but pretty good. The soundtrack is amazing and the whole idea for the movie is awesome. Great.
  2. ChadS.
    Oct 4, 2003
    Jack Black, is funny, but there's a danger that his schtick will grow tiresome like Robin Williams'. It's Joan Cusack who gets the really big laughs. "The School of Rock" suffers from a premise that's not believable, which would be rendered moot, had the film been consistently funny. When the principal sits in on Dewey's class, his impromptu lesson plan Jack Black, is funny, but there's a danger that his schtick will grow tiresome like Robin Williams'. It's Joan Cusack who gets the really big laughs. "The School of Rock" suffers from a premise that's not believable, which would be rendered moot, had the film been consistently funny. When the principal sits in on Dewey's class, his impromptu lesson plan should've been written smarter, because Mullins couldn't possibly be that gullible. Cusack plays her too smart. Questions get in the way, like how could the parents not notice the cirriculuum change, and how can they play rock music in a classroom without discovery? But the kids are charming, especially Summer(Marinda Cosgrove is a charmer), and exposing youngsters(the ones in the audience) to AC/DC and Rush is deliciously subversive. "The School of Rock" makes the incredible observation that a song like "Back in Black" is kid-friendly compared to gangsta rap and "slut-pop"(Britney, Christina). Expand
  3. KelR.
    Oct 5, 2003
    Hey, this movie was hella funny, but c'mon it isn't 10 funny. I think Jack Black is possibly the funniest man alive, and without him this might have been one of the worst movies of the year but like I said the man can make any script funny. It's a wonderful movie if you have children, but if you're looking for "grown up" humor go elsewhere.
  4. GrantN.
    Jan 21, 2006
    Jack Black is side-splittingly funny in this comedy about a fake substitute teacher (Black) and his attempt at turning a preppy elementry school class into rockers. A must-see if you like Black or bands like Led Zeppelin.
  5. MarieM.
    Jun 23, 2006
    its so funny. jack black is the perfect character. i hope they can do a school of rock 2.
  6. Jan 9, 2011
    Jack Black is awesome in this rock comedy. It's not the best comedy I ever seen though.
  7. Jun 24, 2015
    This movie was great. It was hilarious overall. The acting was great. Jack Black was awesome. The plot was good. The soundtrack was awesome. The School of Rock is an awesome movie and I would recommend that you check it out. If you hate this film, you are silly as JB and BieberNinja.
  8. JesseL.
    May 17, 2008
    it was a very good movie. and yea i agree, the fact that Jack Black was able to tune down his many obsenities for a childrens movie (or pg-13) and Katie (A.K.A the bass guitar) is hot.
  9. Nobody
    Mar 20, 2009
    Awesome movie with awesome music!!!! Caitlin Hale is really cute and has a good voice. Too bad, she don't want to proceed as an actress or singer. Joey GAYdos sucks!!! He think he's best guitar player of the world. I listed to a few songs of him and I have to say: they're sounding all the same. He's totally overrated.
  10. Dec 9, 2014
    This is a really fun film - and we all need more of those.
    Jack Black can be "over the top" and he's WAY over the top in this but it succeeds by being cute, fun and silly at the same time. The film feels like it's only a few minutes long as it zips by. The extras on the DVD are fun too !!
  11. JackB.
    Jul 4, 2004
    Hey, baby, it's cool! This movie was a riot!! jack is a sexy beast (take your shirt off more often!). funniest line "you're kids have touched me, and i'm pretty sure i've touched them"...whats with all these chicks saying kevin is hot...are they all the same chick? oh well, i'll roll with it...KEVIN IS HOT!!!
  12. Marty
    Oct 4, 2003
    This is just plain an all-around great movie. JB is freakin hilarious and he interacts well with the kids. Even if you didn't like Jack Black before (and why wouldn't you, you loser!) you will love him after seeing this movie--he's awesome!!
  13. PatrickA.
    Hot movie.
  14. PaulL.
    Oct 6, 2003
    In the theater I was in, everyone was laughing, all the time. Everyone enjoyed this movie for its simplicity and pure comedy (not the lack of a realistic plot...c'mon). It is simply a truly funny movie.
  15. ElvisT.
    Oct 6, 2003
    Jack Black "get back" as you finally strutted your overall talent. Jack is tremdous as Dewey in working with this very talented group of kids. It is a feel good movie that delivers as promised. Definitely worth seeing.
  16. JeffW.
    Oct 9, 2003
    Oh my, there aren't enough words when it comes down to the hilarious antics of the wonderful Jack Black. His charming endeering character explodes the theatre into laughs and giggles that ever so warmed my heart. This movie is a must see for the thrill seeker of adventure and child memories.
  17. JamesicaC.
    Jan 2, 2004
    THIS MOVIE WAS INCREDIBLE! I went with my aunt, uncle, and my father and we couldn't stop laughing! Jack Black was perfect. His facial expressions were top notch, his walk was kooky but hilaroius, how could you ask for anything else? I am a drummer and I thought it was incredibly cool the way a 5th grader was playing the drums! This movie never left me bored and went beyond my THIS MOVIE WAS INCREDIBLE! I went with my aunt, uncle, and my father and we couldn't stop laughing! Jack Black was perfect. His facial expressions were top notch, his walk was kooky but hilaroius, how could you ask for anything else? I am a drummer and I thought it was incredibly cool the way a 5th grader was playing the drums! This movie never left me bored and went beyond my expectations. All hail Jack Black and his rockin 5th graders! Expand
  18. GiovanniS.
    Jan 4, 2004
    Hilarious.
  19. Candy&Poolie
    Feb 8, 2004
    It really "rocks" !!!
  20. Kyra
    Mar 20, 2004
    Hey! Wow,what a fantastic movie. Sure I'm just 1 of those ppl who fall 4 the 1st hott guy in the movie, but Kevin Clark is so lyke WHOA!! Jack Black was hilarious! Top performance from all, can't wait 4 another movie with Kevin!
  21. Kyra
    Mar 20, 2004
  22. BrianC.
    Mar 30, 2004
    This is the best movie ever! rebecca brown is the hottest kid i've ever seen! For an 11-year-old, she is HOT!! the other kids were really cool too like kevin.. damn he plays the drums well!
  23. KatieH.
    Mar 3, 2004
    IT was the best Kevin Clark A.K.A Freddy he was the sexy guy in the whole movie and he's just soooooooo hot.
  24. DaynaG.
    Apr 1, 2004
    They rock dude!! Kevin Alexander clark is sooooooo cute!!! I also like Joey gaydos j.r... Kevin is a hottieee!!! the movie is cute and irressistible... so are kevin and joey... do you know that kevin is almost 16??
  25. SarahC.
    Apr 6, 2004
    This movie was really good! Kevin is so hot! I am his number 1 fan. He is so cool!
  26. BenA.
    May 2, 2004
    Damn. This movie kicked some ass. I waited a while to see this; by the time I did most of my friends had seen it and told me how cool it was. I didn't expect it to be as cool as my friends said it was going to be. How wrong I was. It was better then they said it was. This is possibly the best movie on the topic of rock n' roll I've ever seen. It portrays the true spirit of Damn. This movie kicked some ass. I waited a while to see this; by the time I did most of my friends had seen it and told me how cool it was. I didn't expect it to be as cool as my friends said it was going to be. How wrong I was. It was better then they said it was. This is possibly the best movie on the topic of rock n' roll I've ever seen. It portrays the true spirit of rock. Movies like Rock Star just show the "show biz" aspects. School of Rock just rocks. Perhaps too much of the comedy was based on Jack Black's mannerisms which got a little old towards the end. But there was enough solid humor throughout the movie to cover up for that. Expand
  27. MatiasP.
    May 2, 2004
    Brilliant movie, brilliant Jack Black. Funny. I recommend that you would watch this.
  28. KimS.
    Jun 22, 2004
    I loved the movie it rocked!!! Kevin Alexander Clark is soooo hot and he's like 15 now!!!
  29. LauraE.
    Jul 20, 2004
    This is anamzing film and kevinm you are such a hottie.
  30. Julia
    Aug 9, 2004
    This movie is the best i've seen in years. i love rock music so this film went to my heart.jack black is is the greatest!and kevin...oh my god!he just rocks! but still my favourite is joey..the way he plays that guitar...he is awesome!!!!!!!
  31. CassieJ.
    Oct 9, 2005
    I love this movie for many reasons! the gay guy is sooo funny but mainly Kevin u rock! heres my sayin! "guitarists get paid but drummers get layed" fit fit fit! oh and v. funny movie ;P
  32. Emilyl
    May 15, 2005
    Kevin Clark is sooooooo hot in tht film, i just keep searching the web to find a piccy of him.
  33. LeahB
    Aug 4, 2005
    I would actually give it 1,000,000,000,000, etc. out of 10, but obviously i cant. I love Kevin Clark, he is a great drummer and actor and i wish him luck in his movie and musical career! {coz da world iz run by da man}
  34. BenS.
    Oct 19, 2003
    A very pleasing movie which I thoroughly enjoyed from start to finish and even through the whole credits, as did the rest of the theatre. No one got up until the screen went black.
  35. M.
    Dec 5, 2003
    Mark S. gave it a 9: All hail Jack Black. I only thought of him as a funny guy, like a hundred other funny guys.. He has his own band tenaious d too, he's not like every other funny guy..
  36. WAKOJAKO
    Dec 8, 2003
    Great fun. One of the best comedies this year. Jack Black has a blast, taking us all for an enormously fun ride. Joan holds her own, as always, and the kids are fantastic. I just wish they'd done this as a full-blown musical. (I'm sure the stage show is not far away.)
  37. AhmedK.
    Wow!
  38. Spriggangirl
    Oct 7, 2003
    A remarkable classic!
  39. Angela
    Jan 10, 2004
    I think that the movie was wicked! jack black is so awesome he's a great muisician! kevin clarke is so hot! he should hav his own fan site, anyhows watch the movie !
  40. BlaiseS.
    Jan 21, 2004
    This movie rocks, man! And Freddie rules!!!
  41. ClareL
    Oct 24, 2004
    It was really funny and Kevin Clarke is the hottest!!!
  42. IzzieS?
    Feb 1, 2004
    this was such a great movie and freddy is SO fit!!!!! does any 1 know where i can get a picture of that hottie???? GO SEE THAT MOVIE!!!!
  43. LiamS.
    Feb 9, 2004
    This movie was a masterpiece. Charming and funny, it accomplishes exactly what it sets out to do: entertains without patronizing its viewers. (Other Hollywood comedies could learn from its example). Jack Black is a comedic genius, and delivers a wonderful performance. The movie is fun and wonderfully entertaining and highly recommended. Go see it!!!
  44. JamesS.
    Mar 10, 2004
    i thought it had all the elements a movie should have.
  45. KellyN.
    Mar 12, 2004
    hey everyone this movie is great i watched it like 20 times already and for all of u ppl who say kevin clark is hott well i agree so everybody budd out hes mine !! ahahhahaa lol
  46. MelC.
    Mar 15, 2004
    OMFG! Kevin clark is the sexiest man alive. i think im in luv!!! and by the way - he's 14 not 10. kevin is super sex-c!!
  47. Drummer
    Mar 17, 2004
    Hey ppl well just to let you know kevin clark lives in il and you will NEVER EVER have the chance to met him. and he probably HATES ppl saying i love you kevin your so hott and cute and all that garbage. i like kevin too but i dont go around and say KEVIN IS HOTT! too ppl i dont know. well you guys suck.
  48. RileyB.
    Mar 6, 2004
    I love this movie!!! Joey Gaytos aka Zack and Kevin Clark are the hottest guys in the movie!!!!! I love them!! I want to start a fan club!
  49. KelseyC.
    Mar 7, 2004
    I think that Kevin is soo dang HOTT! He is so good looking in the movie!!
  50. AlyssaK.
    Mar 7, 2004
    I thought this movie was hilarious, and just a message to "Kate B." KEVIN CLARK IS NOT TEN! Have a nice day:)
  51. VikkiB.
    Mar 9, 2004
    Actually i would rate it 100 cuz my freind Tabatha... i want to give a shout out to her.. beats yalls butt in loving Kevin Clark.. so all i can say is BACK OFF THAT"S HER FIANCE...
  52. GiuseppeA.
    Apr 1, 2004
    Really entartaining!
  53. MeganS.
    Apr 11, 2004
    School of Rock is awesome! I watched the kids commentary thingy on the DVD. Kevin & Joey are hilarious on there! Kevin & Joey are also the babes on there! I would love to meet them someday...! HEHEHHEHEE!
  54. TarynB.
    Apr 15, 2004
    After I saw this movie it was of course in my top 3 for fav. movie! not only was Kevin Clark (Freddie) really hot but the movie was also funny, and enjoyable! I think its stupid how people are rating this like a 0 cuz a movie can't get any better with hot guys and a bunch of laughs!
  55. Kat
    Apr 18, 2004
    I ABSOLUTELY LOVED this movie...I think kevin and joey are just adorable...even though i'm bout the same age i'm sad there is no chance...o well! loved the movie!!!
  56. RustanL.
    Apr 2, 2004
    This is totally the best film i've ever seen!! Yeah School of Rock RULES!!!
  57. JennaV.
    Apr 30, 2004
    Well i love the movie u no that ok well lets get satrted: i gave 3 points on the awsome instruments i gave 2 for how gud they played i have 3 for hoe cute Joey gaydos and Kevin Clark are lol 2 more because the IMMAGRANT SONG!!!!!!!!!!!! and MY BRAIN IS HANGING UPSIDE DOWN u no the songs! well i loved the movie i still watch it all the time me and one friend just ahh. nm we just love Kevin Well i love the movie u no that ok well lets get satrted: i gave 3 points on the awsome instruments i gave 2 for how gud they played i have 3 for hoe cute Joey gaydos and Kevin Clark are lol 2 more because the IMMAGRANT SONG!!!!!!!!!!!! and MY BRAIN IS HANGING UPSIDE DOWN u no the songs! well i loved the movie i still watch it all the time me and one friend just ahh. nm we just love Kevin Man! Na Joey U guys Rock mans lol ttyl o ss (talk to u later or sooner). Expand
  58. DanessaM.
    Apr 6, 2004
    Great movie. the first time i watched i was like i'm buying that movie plus there's a couple damn fine and sexy guys (Joey and Kevin) you guys are so hot good acting to the whole movie was overall great good job everyone who was on the movie.
  59. AlexandraJ.
    Apr 7, 2004
    I loved the movie. Jack Black made it a ten because he is so funny and if they got someone else it would have been a five. I'm also in love with kevin Clark he is so cute. Also the kids made it funny and cute also Kevin, Joey, Rebecca Make another movie plz we are all begging you plz.
  60. RexyC.
    Apr 9, 2004
    I loved the movie, I watched it 4 times it makes me want to be in the movie i would like to be in the movie if there was School of Rock 2.
  61. AmitB.
    May 14, 2004
    Only two words to say "Great Movie."
  62. ChristyL.
    May 10, 2004
    This movie rocks!! It's about time sum1 comes out with a good movie about rock! Jack Black was hilarious!! The kids were sweet!!! Loved the Led zepplin "immigrant" part:>
  63. LaurenB.
    May 3, 2004
    I think it gives good details, and i like the students exspecially Freddie, Kevin Alexander Clark. But the show was cool because i play the guitar the the guitar the play are really cool. LAUREN.
  64. NickiH.
    Jun 18, 2004
    I love this movie!!! Joey and Kevin are soooo hot! I hope they make a sequel!
  65. R.KRawson
    Jul 20, 2004
    OMG OMG!!!! this is a freakin rocking cool show man OMG the bst movie i ever watched in my whole life man i have watch it like 5 times man OMG i m so addicted to it man which they have school of rock 2!!!!! PEACE OFF.
  66. Sarah
    Jul 26, 2004
    School of Rock was a great movie. I think it had great music and great actors. Like most of the other girls, I do think Kevin Clark is pretty cute. I'm not really sure what makes this movie so great, but I loved it!
  67. AcyT.
    Aug 24, 2004
    It's the COOLEST movie, ever!!! I soooo love Kevin! He ROX!!!
  68. ChloeL.
    Aug 4, 2004
    Yummy yummy kevin made it a 10! xoxoxoxoxo toodly pip hip hop.
  69. DevonD.
    Aug 6, 2004
    I love the movie bacause kevin clark is so0o0o hot!!!!! i wish that i was in the movie so i could meet him!!!!
  70. HarrisonB.
    Aug 8, 2004
    School of Rock is the one movie everyone should love. Kevin Clark is my favorite guy. Jack Black gives an awesome performance. Some of the greatest rock bands are in this movie. Their band is very good. All the kids are great. Loved it......
  71. SinéadH.
    Sep 11, 2004
    School of rock is my fave movie, kevin clarke is so cute.
  72. Ping
    Sep 12, 2004
    Kevin Clark's so sexy... Looks like Draco Malfoy.
  73. MarionneR.
    Sep 14, 2004
    I love it!!!...Kevin Clark is sooooo cute!...he's good in drums and very good actor!....he's my favorite......
  74. BillC
    Oct 5, 2005
    Great movie great band period!
  75. SarahD.
    Feb 13, 2005
    I thought this was the best show i ever saw! its my favourite show and i bought the movie the day after i saw it! Kevin Alexander Clark is so hot and i would love to meet him! I'm from Canada so it will never happen! he is the best drummer! Joey Gaydos Jr. is probably the best guitar player especially for being only 13/14 years old! LOL! well i recommend this movie to anybody! and i I thought this was the best show i ever saw! its my favourite show and i bought the movie the day after i saw it! Kevin Alexander Clark is so hot and i would love to meet him! I'm from Canada so it will never happen! he is the best drummer! Joey Gaydos Jr. is probably the best guitar player especially for being only 13/14 years old! LOL! well i recommend this movie to anybody! and i mean ANYBODY!!!LOL. Collapse
  76. CaptainCraig
    Feb 20, 2005
    Jack was at his best in this one. Cute and funny. But, think of this. What if the plot were reversed and the Jack was an out of work symphony conductor and he got a job in a getto shcool. What if he brought his students from Rap to Mozart. Would anyone want to see this? I would because it would offer a chance to give the film real heart instead of just a few laughs. But, thats just me!
  77. bethw.
    Mar 9, 2005
    It was the best film eva n peeps dat say it was boring u r sooo rong its well funni besides sum1 as sed im gunna kik kevin clarks asss but wot the hell as e dun rong ey? oh yeah n joey da 1 who plays zack as an album of his own cumin out how cool !!! freddie is hot n i av bin off skool 4 three days n i av stayed in bed watchin it ova n ova agen n i dnt get bored of it either !!! oh yeah n It was the best film eva n peeps dat say it was boring u r sooo rong its well funni besides sum1 as sed im gunna kik kevin clarks asss but wot the hell as e dun rong ey? oh yeah n joey da 1 who plays zack as an album of his own cumin out how cool !!! freddie is hot n i av bin off skool 4 three days n i av stayed in bed watchin it ova n ova agen n i dnt get bored of it either !!! oh yeah n as any1 noticed that dewee's hair parting is always changing like every 2 secs ? people who give this film a rating of 5 or under i dnt see the piont in even bothering putting in your rating cuz if u h8 it THAT much u wudnt be bothering wasting ur time writing sumfin 2 go on this page !!! Expand
  78. EricK.
    Jun 20, 2005
    Cute as hell!!
  79. MiriamM
    Jul 20, 2005
    I loved this movie. Jack Black was so awesome. I wish my school did that! ^_^
  80. LoryR.
    Jul 24, 2005
    That movies RoXs! I wish that's all we did!
  81. MargieS.
    Jan 22, 2006
    Ilove kevin clark he is the hotest drummer I know i know a lot of drummers to.I have been dreams of him before his movie came out.I just want to know his number so I can call him to tell him about my dreams.
  82. AndrewG
    Dec 4, 2006
    This is one of the most inspirational and hilarious movie I have seen in a long time. I watched Love Actually for the first time yesterday and I was touched, but School of Rock is WAY more heart warming. Oh God I love this movie.
  83. TessaE.
    Oct 11, 2003
    This movie is hilarious, and if you haven't seen it, go out and see it!!! Jack Black is an amazing actor, and I saw this movie 3 times, honestly. He is just so cool. I took my friend, and my bro, and his friend to see it, and they loved it! Now, go see it!
  84. MarkS.
    Nov 10, 2003
    All hail Jack Black. I only thought of him as a funny guy, like a hundred other funny guys. But he said some things in this movie that were VERY cool (and, yes, I know they were lines from a script, but the fact that he said them makes me respect him more even though). This movie made me want to be a teacher again. (I was the kind of big kid type the students dug. I still keep in tough All hail Jack Black. I only thought of him as a funny guy, like a hundred other funny guys. But he said some things in this movie that were VERY cool (and, yes, I know they were lines from a script, but the fact that he said them makes me respect him more even though). This movie made me want to be a teacher again. (I was the kind of big kid type the students dug. I still keep in tough with a few now, years later.) And the soundtrack was outstanding. This is the kind of movie I would like to make if I worked in Hollywood. SWEET! Expand
  85. JonoA.
    Oct 12, 2003
    Holy cow!!! Best movie this year, maybe even decade. What an awesome movie. Those of you who hated it are problably some snobby people who like to sit in their pretty little rooms listening to the dumbest music and having no taste. Even the critics are loving it and thats saying something. Go see it.
  86. ScottL.
    Oct 12, 2003
    If you're a fan of rock you must see this movie. somebody needs to sign the guiter player from that movie.
  87. BarryR.
    Oct 14, 2003
    "School of Rock" is an interesting and entertaining film starring Jack Black in a role few but he could play. He is an energetic performer and, for those who like his acting, a natural for this film. I anticipated a silly kid's movie and was pleasantly surprised to find a film that adult's could enjoy as well. So, in all honesty, my liking the film may well be because of what it "School of Rock" is an interesting and entertaining film starring Jack Black in a role few but he could play. He is an energetic performer and, for those who like his acting, a natural for this film. I anticipated a silly kid's movie and was pleasantly surprised to find a film that adult's could enjoy as well. So, in all honesty, my liking the film may well be because of what it wasn't ...rather than what it was. It's a formula-type movie with a predictable ending but sweet and simple enough to hold your interest, much of this due to an extraordinary group of young and talented performers who share the film with Mr. Black The movie gets a 7.0 Although it is certainly not a must see, it is worth going to if you are at the theater and your first choice is either sold out or playing in the wrong time slot for you. It's a formula-type movie with a predictable ending but sweet and simple enough to hold your interest, much of this due to an extraordinary group of young and talented performers who share the film with Mr. Black Expand
  88. KaylaW.
    Oct 15, 2003
    OmG!! This move is great!!! Kevin Clark (Freddy) is so hot! Kevin if you read this please e-mail me..your so hot and i love you!!!
  89. Zee
    Dec 15, 2003
    I think this movie is geared to kids. There were some funny moments but it don't deserve the high rating it is getting. I would give it a 65%.
  90. JerryH.
    Oct 2, 2003
    Everyone assume the power stance and raise your goblet of rock -- this film is brilliant, hilarious family fare that everyone who loves music should go see. Kids take your parents, parents take your kids, girls take the boys, boys take the girls everyone just please go see this film. You will love it, and if you dont, you might as well go and hide for the rest of your life because Everyone assume the power stance and raise your goblet of rock -- this film is brilliant, hilarious family fare that everyone who loves music should go see. Kids take your parents, parents take your kids, girls take the boys, boys take the girls everyone just please go see this film. You will love it, and if you dont, you might as well go and hide for the rest of your life because you're a freak. Jack Black is in control and completely out of control. The music selction is great. Linklater cast the kids wonderfully -- go turkey sub, use those pipes. Embrace this film people, and you will be embracing life. Rock on! Expand
  91. Yoonminc.
    Dec 24, 2003
    There's a song performed at the end of the movie composed by one of the students. It's not much but the performance is all-out and wild, passionate and crazy. Second-rate material is made first-rate. Same goes for School of Rock. The formula is old. It's like a cross between To Sir with Love and One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest. And, of course there have been other There's a song performed at the end of the movie composed by one of the students. It's not much but the performance is all-out and wild, passionate and crazy. Second-rate material is made first-rate. Same goes for School of Rock. The formula is old. It's like a cross between To Sir with Love and One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest. And, of course there have been other movies of this kind, the teacher-student film like Dead Poets Society or the back to school films like Billy Madison, with older man rediscovering the magic of childhood and kids learning about the big world. What makes School of Rock special? For one thing Linklater doesn't go for soapy manipulations of Weir in Dead Poet nor reduce the story into mere fluff. While formulaic and predictable with a very obvious message, Linklater is careful not to push any agenda. Linklater doesn't patronize nor sermonize. Instead, like the main character he improvises with the material. It's an old song performed with real gusto and made new again, and not least because of Jack Black's insane energy and shaggy brilliance. There have been two kinds of fat comedians, the warm, jolly type and the crazyman type(Belushi, Sam Whoozits). Black clearly falls into the latter. He's no cornfed domesticated farm pig but a wild boar, virile and untameable, with fat cheeks protruding like tusks. Linklater is intelligent enough to go easy with the conventions of the material. He loosens caricatures enough so that individualities and eccentricities squeeze thru. Linklater showed great rapport with kids in Dazed and Confused, his masterpiece, and this qualty is evident here as well. Linklater reverses the usual process of characterization; he doesn't define but rather finds what's special about these kids, qualities emanating from their deep interior. And, so the usual geek, fat girl, smart girl categories take a backseat to dreamer repressed within every child. Linklater even pulls off a risky stunt in having a gay student. A lesser director might have pigeonholed the kid as a joke or a saint; to Linklater he's just another kid with his Special talent. School of Rock is like an extension into light comedy of Linlater's Dazed and Confused as well as numerous films Jack Black has starred in, most notably the great High Fidelity. All three movies are steeped in the Rock Culture that dominated the lives of mainstream white America prior to the advent of slick 80s as exemplified by MTV. While the movie's essentially a silly comedy, it does raise certain issues about rock or pop culture. In one respect, it's vital and red-blooded, inspirational. On the other hand, very fuzzy and confused. At one point Jack Black rants about THE MAN, meaning the powers-that-be. But, he later says in the classroom he represents the Man. And, the principal, a female, is also THE MAN. It brilliantly summarizes why politicizing pop culture has been so unworkable. Rock music, with its anarchic energy, is neither right nor left; and with its 50 yr history, neither old or new. While we may be familiar with the cliche of stuffy folks sneering at the liberating force of rock music in the popular imagination, it's also true that people on the left have been offended by rock music's naked materialism, capitalist hedonism, 'misogyny', tribalism, and the racial divisions within the culture. Almost Famous has a liberal professor mom who thinks of rock music as mass-culture junk luring people away from important issues and priorities. One of the comic situation arises from the fact that the teacher is a rebel; just how do you, as an authority figure, teach rebellion to kids? It's a smart observation about the strength and weakness at the core of American educational philosophy, that we don't just want to cram knowledge into our kids but make them think and decide for themselves, make their own decisions. But, of course there's no easy answer. There always tension, but if so, long live the tension. That's what makes life interesting. Linklater is also keenly aware of ironies in rock culture. Jack Black is shocked that no one heard of the bands he worships; but, because the world of rock culture is so irreverent of knowledge and authority and extolls the virtue of the new over the old, of course these kids never heard of Led Zeppelin or Jimi Hendrix. Besides, who wants Rock culture reduced to another area in the cultural studies department? But, then without some scholarly discipline, how will Rock be remembered? In this sense, just as Almost Famous pondered the meaning of the writer-scholar-intellectual in relation to the rock star barbarians, School of Rock tries to harmonize the contradictory concepts of culture as a creative force(which is independent of, even antogonistic to institutions) and culture as preserved tradition, a fate no artwork, no matter how crazy, can't escape if it's to survive. Just as organized religions are a necessary evil, so are cultural institutions. The answer is to know there is no clear answer, to accept and deal with the everlasting tension(a similar ideas was expounded in Seven Beauties as Man in Disorder). The virility and creative force of barbarism with the discipline and dignity of civilization. Not a bad formula. And, the movie says something neat about why we need artists. Good or bad, they remind us of that spark in all of us, perhaps stronger in some than others, that seeks glory and taps into emotions beyond the ordinary. Linklater as an artist has served this role well, and though this is a 'sell-out' film, it's entirely honorable. Unlike Jonathan Demme who sold his heart and soul, Linklater knows how to play with or around phony material and come up with something real in the very act of playing. I give it 3 1/2 out of 5. Expand
  92. JordonL.
    Oct 25, 2003
    This movie is for everybody. Especially if you love comedy, good morals and a happy ending. With some killer tunes. If you watch this movie your sure to put it in your top 10! I quarentee you'll love it!!!!
  93. BenH
    Oct 27, 2003
    Was one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. The only reason you wouldn't like this movie would a) be a total stiff and have no sense of humor, b) hate life, or c) don't like to laugh. This is a great movie for anyone who was in, is in, or wants to be in a band. Jack Black's performance was hillarious. School of rock deserves a 10 out of 10.
  94. TomS.
    Oct 4, 2003
    One of the best movies of 2003! I loved this movie, it seriously rocked, everyone should see it!
  95. JasonN.
    Oct 4, 2003
    This movie rocks. Jack Black shines, the kids are incredible, and the music inspires. What a cute movie to compensate for the summer blockbuster flops.
  96. PatrickH.
    Oct 5, 2003
    This movie (of course) rocks!!! Forget all the critics who are brain dead, this movie is a must see!!!
  97. CharlesD.
    Oct 6, 2003
    The entire audience stayed through the credits...What more can you say...
  98. JosephB.
    Oct 6, 2003
    Take it from a film snob. this is going to be way more funny in 5 years.
  99. EricB.
    Oct 7, 2003
    Jack Black kicks a**, the kids kick a**, this movie kicks a**.
  100. TomB.
    Oct 9, 2003
    I'm going to preface this by saying that I went in absolutely ready to not like this flick. First off, I'm getting just a tad tired of Jack Black. He's a dumpy little troll who can't make up his mind as to whether he wants to be a musician or the new Jim Carey. I also groaned when I saw that this was the most politically correct cast of children I've seen (so what I'm going to preface this by saying that I went in absolutely ready to not like this flick. First off, I'm getting just a tad tired of Jack Black. He's a dumpy little troll who can't make up his mind as to whether he wants to be a musician or the new Jim Carey. I also groaned when I saw that this was the most politically correct cast of children I've seen (so what else is new). You had the perfect mix of every racial group and body type and of course every darn one of 'em just as smart as a whip and nice as can be! Not only did the kids not mind the smart Latino girl being teacer's pet and bossing them all around but not once did anyone make fun of the two fat kids in the class. I was also had my back up expecting to hear my beloved rock&roll butchered and made fun of. So why'd I even go to see something which I was sure would be a piece of crap-o-la? It was the only movie that looked relatively family friendly and the girls wanted to see it. WHAT A GREAT MOVIE! Jack Black was absolutely terrififc, every one of the child actors did a great job and the movie ROCKED! It had a feel all of it's own and avoided many of the obvious turns one would expect in a Hollywood comedy. The musical numbers (only a couple) were so well done that I wished there'd been more! I actually laughed out loud which is something I rarely do. If I were going to recommend any one flick to take the family~or yourself~to this week this would be the one. Expand

1. The School of Rock was made by gifted veterans of the American indie scene, but it's still the most unlikely great movie of the year.
    School of Rock kicks ass. It's one movie that definitely goes to eleven.
  3. The film hits another comic mother lode in the byplay between Black and Cusack.