The Score

7.2

1. Aug 14, 2014
    The Score is a perfectly good heist movie with fine performances from DeNiro and Norton. It isn't a classic, but it's good in itself, on its own terms. The characters as well as the setup keep the story entertaining, and a couple of twists and turns churn out a fulfilling ending with some actual payoffs.
  2. AndyS.
    Oct 8, 2001
    A fitfully entertaining, but utterly pointless caper flick with one of the weakest tacked-on sub-plots in the history of movies not made by George Lucas. I'm talking about the relationship between De Niro and Bassett which utterly backfires, backlighting the paper-thinness of De Niro's character rather than providing it with any depth, and badly embarrassing both actors in the A fitfully entertaining, but utterly pointless caper flick with one of the weakest tacked-on sub-plots in the history of movies not made by George Lucas. I'm talking about the relationship between De Niro and Bassett which utterly backfires, backlighting the paper-thinness of De Niro's character rather than providing it with any depth, and badly embarrassing both actors in the bargain. In fact, De Niro's entire performance blends so seamlessly with his previous half-dozen that they could've used out-takes from his earlier work and spliced them into this movie with no loss of spontaneity. You certainly can't say that about Brando's performance; but, then again, that's about the only thing you can't say. Expand
  3. LesS.
    Jul 25, 2001
    An absorbing, intelligent flick with a neat surprise ending...go see it!
  4. AndrewC.
    Feb 1, 2002
    As much as I LOVE edward norton and robert deniro, this film was one of the worst films i have seen in my life. and the ending does not make up for any of it. almost every aspect of this film had nothing to do with the plot of the store. i am extremely disappointed with the existence of this film. i am beginning to wonder if nortan and deniro owed frank oz a film, cause i dont see why As much as I LOVE edward norton and robert deniro, this film was one of the worst films i have seen in my life. and the ending does not make up for any of it. almost every aspect of this film had nothing to do with the plot of the store. i am extremely disappointed with the existence of this film. i am beginning to wonder if nortan and deniro owed frank oz a film, cause i dont see why those two would ever take up a film like this. horrible film. and it is also surprising how many of the critics gave it such a high score. it seems that they are AFRAID to give their real opinions due to the fact that such legendary actors may have been involved. politics I suppose. Expand
  5. DonD.
    Jul 19, 2001
    This movie had some exciting moments and as usual, De Niro carried the day. Brando seemed to sleep walk through this one (which is nothing different since the "Godfather"). Edward Norton was great with his split characters. But, when the ending came, this viewer was left facing a most implausible and empty wrap-up!
  6. SamB.
    Jul 21, 2001
    Expected more from Brando and DeNiro - Ed Norton shone.
  7. BrunoB.
    Jul 30, 2001
    Another sad example of twisted Hollywood at work attempting to condition our minds in a silent, subliminal fashion! What was Angela Bassett's presence all about? "Political correctness" gone public?
  8. EvelynW.
    Aug 1, 2001
    It had me on the edge of my seat from the beginning. I had to eventually put away my Raisinets and Nestle's crunch because I was so nervous. I was wondering from the beginning whether they would get caught and who, if anyone, would screw up in the end.
    Aug 16, 2001
    This great cast is put to even better use. This movie had great action, with no uneened gore. It is edge-of-your-seat suspense that has you begging for more. BRAVO!!
  10. MustaphaM.
    Mar 16, 2002
    One of the better movies to come along in quite some time. De Niro and Norton give great performances in what I thought was an awesome movie.
  11. DavidB.
    Mar 5, 2002
    Well done. I enjoyed this flick.
  12. R.B.
    Jul 19, 2001
    I really wanted to like this movie, but in the end I felt like there was a lot of build up for a very common ending. Loved the actors...wish I would have rented it though.
  13. CharlesR.
    Aug 27, 2001
    A classic case of wasted talent. The movie is derivative, flawed, predictable, and almost a parody of the heist movies of the 1950s. De Niro seems uninterested and unwilling to do any more than walk through his part and pick up a hefty paycheck.
    Oct 26, 2001
    Ed Norton kicks.
  15. RobertB.
    Sep 29, 2001
    Clever moments and good acting, but the ending is pretty thin and very weak compared to the rest of the movie.
  16. Aug 8, 2015
    In what was widely considered to be a passing of the torch, three generations of Hollywood superstars, joined forces for a thriller known as The Score. I found this to be a very strange film, as it features both moments of high intensity and moments that are painfully slow. Robert De Niro stars as Nick Wells, the best safe cracker you could find, but as he's getting older and seeking moreIn what was widely considered to be a passing of the torch, three generations of Hollywood superstars, joined forces for a thriller known as The Score. I found this to be a very strange film, as it features both moments of high intensity and moments that are painfully slow. Robert De Niro stars as Nick Wells, the best safe cracker you could find, but as he's getting older and seeking more stability in his life. Considering retirement, Wells is asked to be part of one last big score, that will have him, and his fence, set for life. Wells reluctantly agrees, before finding out there is a catch, he'll be working with his possible replacement, an arrogant and cocky young man, who could wind up getting them all caught. As far as acting goes, you may never see a better trio of leading men, De Niro, Marlon Brando, and especially Edward Norton were absolutely terrific in their roles. The film however doesn't really take off until the crime actually begins. For over an hour they are in the planning stage, painstakingly going over every detail, and it really is as bad as it sounds, in fact, I almost turned it off, until the wheels were set in motion. From that point, the film really is terrific, with an ending that will leave your jaw on the floor! I was very happy with the last forty minutes of the film, and all three actors were fantastic, but so much of this film moves at a snails pact that I really couldn't give it a higher rating. This is a two hour film, that could have easily been shortened to an hour and a half, without losing any of it's integrity. All the detailed plans and unnecessary back and fourth make the first hour of this film painful, but if you can stick with it, the second hour is certainly worth it. Expand
  17. Aug 20, 2013
    Overall, it's a good film. De Niro, Norton, and Brando, deliver great performances as usual in a film that is successful in getting you to root for the bad guys.
  18. May 19, 2013
    His story accompanied by great performances by De Niro and Norton, makes the film interesting and exciting to be in the best style Mission impossible.

1. A sturdily diverting old fashioned heist thriller that looks like a masterpiece of sheer competence next to the slovenly action fantasy F/X grab bags that have been passing for summer entertainment.
    What's fatal to the film is that De Niro's character, though compelling, is so temperate and wise he gives no indication of why he was drawn to a life of crime.
    You begin to wonder whether a story is ever going to show up. When it does, it's worth the wait for a long and well-turned set piece coordinating the heist, and two lovely flips in the plot.