7.6

1. Jan 1, 2014
    I wanted so much to like this movie as Ben Stiller is one of my favorite actors. Having said that this is one boring film that is going nowhere from ten minutes into the film. Danny Kaye makes this Mitty look very bad. I can't believe that no one stood up to Ben as he was directing to tell him how awful this flick is. Avoid at all costs.
  2. Dec 25, 2013
    An ambitious over-hyped and ultimately leaden re-vamping of an earlier film made in 1947. It seems to exist in no man's land wanting to be all thing's to all people and ending up offering very little of anything to anyone. It's not CGI heavy or action packed enough to be considered a block buster and it's too redundantly lame to be good romantic/comedy/drama. In fact what we have is an anaemic romance that provides a linking device to a series of visual fantasies. These fantasy moments which crop up about every 15-20 minutes are, in themselves, not too bad, but they can't prevent the film from seeming half hearted and empty. Ben stiller is ok as the lead character zoning in to more exciting worlds, but I much preferred Adam Scott as one of the heads of Life magazine where Stiller works. His presence, as a kind of villain, bucks one up whenever he appears. The same cannot be said for Sean Penn in a small cameo. This is certainly a strange choice of movie for him. I just hpe he isn't heading down the same road taken by Robert De Niro, destination nowhere, artistically. Locations in Greenland and Iceland are stunning. Production values are fine, but this is under whelming forgettable fluff. Expand
  3. Dec 27, 2013
    I had high hopes for this movie, but, ultimately, it was very disappointing. I kept waiting for something to affect me emotionally, but it never happened. Some beautiful scenery was filmed.
  4. Jan 27, 2014
    This is the worst movie that I have seen in years. I can not understand how anyone can claim that it is based on James Thurber's short story by the same title. The only similarity is that both Mittys are day dreamers. The Walter Mitty in Thurber's story had a wife. This movie was just a bunch of garbage and a big waste of money.
  5. Jan 12, 2014
    The Secret Life of Walter Mitty is an inconsistent mess that isn't a complete film. The movie never gets to you emotionally, which is what Ben Stiller was trying to do. Besides having some nice landscapes, it's nothing more then forgettable trash to say the least.
  6. Jan 16, 2014
    The Secret Life of Walter Mitty is such a boring 'Treasure Hunt' movie. Ben Stiller cannot adequately develops his character on his own (poor acting and script), and hence confides in the other characters. But the plot of the movie has him on his own for so long, and the sequences are about as effective as a lullaby.
  7. Jan 12, 2014
    It feels like a chore mustering up a review for ‘The Secret Life of Walter Mitty’, because there really isn't much to talk to about. Ben Stiller’s attempt to direct, co-produced and star, in a film about a man overcoming adversities to do “awesome stuff” may seem a bit self glorifying. But it is interesting to note that the most (and only) appealing presence in this film was his love interest Cheryl, well played by Kristen Wiig. For a movie that blends romance, adventure, fantasy and comedy-drama, it felt awfully bland… but that should be expected when the main character, the one who the film literally revolves around, is a blank slate. Beyond those flashy dream sequences, Mitty wasn't really saying much; it seems Stiller wasn't apt to directing or playing this subtle character. I found it difficult to root for him and his globe-trotting adventure of “self discovery”, when the man himself was nothing more than vanilla, from start to finish. Not particularly funny, nor creative; Steve Conrad’s impatient script was all over the place. I also found that the dramatic elements of the films were blatantly coerced, as they weren't able to manifest naturally through the (haphazard) rhythms of the story. One thing I did appreciate was Stuart Dryburgh’s gorgeous cinematography that brought the great outdoors and the sleek corporate settings to life. I really wish I could like this whimsical, odd ball story; but it just wasn't doing it for me. Expand
  8. Jan 17, 2014
    I expected so more...
    They didn't know how to take care of such a rich story. The movie lost the chance to be a lot much better.
    The actors were poor on their performance. Such story should not be a comedy movie.
  9. Jan 30, 2014
    The Secret Life of Walter Mitty should have been heartwarming whimsical movie that I fell in love with, but instead frustrated me to no end. The biggest problem is that none of the characters act in a way that any relatable human being would, which culminates in a near end twist that really took me out of the movie. The parts that are clever or heartwarming come at the expense of being a paint-by-numbers cliche. The dialogue comes off as very awkward, which is intentional, but not the awkward that lends itself to good writing that someone like Joss Whedon can produce. I am sure that I will appreciate the message and the intent behind it, but I was too frustrated and bored to enjoy watching it. Expand
  10. Nov 8, 2014
    In Your Face Product Placement Ruined What Could Have Been A Great Film! Sorry, but the product placement was so blatant it ruined the illusion of the story. Let's face it, unless your making a documentary all filmmaking is based on creating good illusions, like a talented magician! When a particular fast food company that serves gross food infects a story - like a flu virus - it wrecks the fantasy created by the filmmakers! James Thurber would be spinning in his grave!

Such product placement is totally unnecessary unless the producers of the film felt The Secret Life of Walter Mitty was going to be a big flop. Or, those making the film want to squeeze every last cent they can to make money by treating filmmaking like a commodity, such as toothpaste or underarm deodorant! Hey, that's a great idea, since we get to know over and over again Walter Mitty's favorite crappy fast food restaurant, why not let us know what his favorite toothpaste and underarm deodorant are, too?!! And why stop there? Let's find out his favorite type of paper towel, toilet paper, laundry detergent, car, soda, vodka, beer and on and on. I even have a new idea for a title: "The Secret Product Placement Life of Walter Mitty."

I didn't pay $11.50 for a ticket and another $6.50 for popcorn to repeatedly watch and hear the characters talk about commercial products in the middle of a movie. The product placement in this film was not subtle and I didn't appreciate being forced to watch such nonsense!

It's really sad filmmaking has stooped so incredibly low and that the film-going public tolerates this crap! Wow!

Exquisitely produced, immaculately acted, and thoroughly uninvolving, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty is a perfect nothing of a movie.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Travers
    Dec 28, 2013
    In his uniquely funny and unexpectedly tender movie, Stiller takes us on a personal journey of lingering resonance.
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Morgenstern
    Dec 28, 2013
    Impressive landscapes, plus Kristen Wiig's appealing Cheryl, the fellow worker who inflames Walter's passion, make the movie enjoyable enough. Yet its style is a constant bafflement.