8.1

1. Apr 29, 2012
    This film isn't really what I was expecting. I found the story extremely boring and must admit it isn't in the usual Disney or Studio Ghibli styles (both of which i like!). The animations are good though, and it is a charming story, but not something I would watch again.
  2. Jun 30, 2012
    Hard to judge this film simply because if it was any normal film it would be decent, but for a Studio Ghibli film it was quite disappointing. I guess they can't pump out Princess Moninoke's or Howls Moving Castle's, but one can dream the next will try harder. I found Ponyo even better than Arrietty, but as I said, as a film in general, this one is still decent.
  3. May 16, 2012
    The Secret World of Arrietty is a pretty and touching cinematic, which will leave you entertained in front of the screen for the whole runtime. Despite the fact that it's a good picture, it doesn't by far compete with the other Ghiblis. The animation is good but not fantastic, the story is nice but not complex, and the characters are cute but not deep. I have not seen or read the originalThe Secret World of Arrietty is a pretty and touching cinematic, which will leave you entertained in front of the screen for the whole runtime. Despite the fact that it's a good picture, it doesn't by far compete with the other Ghiblis. The animation is good but not fantastic, the story is nice but not complex, and the characters are cute but not deep. I have not seen or read the original story but I really think the boy could've been more developed and combined with the theme of loss more. Arrietty is a nice character but I think her behavior is quite unrealistic; someone adolescent like her ought to be eager to know more about the world. She seems to be amazed about the only stuff that's around her, despite her coming-of-age. The lady taking care of the boy could've been more of an antagonist, as the movie lacks proper contrast with the goodwill of the boy. In the end The Secret World of Arrietty merely hints of what Ghibli characters, animation, artwork, wit and story can be and could've been, not what it is to this date. Expand
  4. j30
    Apr 29, 2012
    The Secret World of Arrietty is sugar coated Hayao Miyazaki (he didn't direct this movie, but he co-wrote the story). If your looking for the wild imagination of Miyazaki's classics like Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, or Howl's Moving Castle this is not the movie for you. However if you're looking for Pixar, family friendly stuff, here you go.
  5. May 15, 2013
    I'm probably being burned already for giving the score I did for this film; made by the god almighty company: Studio Ghibli, but I can't help it this one doesn't have that magic that most of the others do. i saw this with my Grandma near its time of release, we both enjoyed it, but she thought it was a very different type of animated film; she's a Disney type of person. I later saw itI'm probably being burned already for giving the score I did for this film; made by the god almighty company: Studio Ghibli, but I can't help it this one doesn't have that magic that most of the others do. i saw this with my Grandma near its time of release, we both enjoyed it, but she thought it was a very different type of animated film; she's a Disney type of person. I later saw it again in Japanese class with my friends, they thought it was not one of the best ones, and I thought it just wasn't as great as I thought. I think it's about time I start talking about why I think the way I do and stop avoiding the crowd. I think that setting is neat, being that we see everything from a little person's view; you what I mean, so as always the visuals are a pleasure to look at. I think the cast of characters is rather weak, the "borrowers" as they are called are okay, but the humans are just uninteresting. The boy is rather bland, and that can be a problem when he's one of the main characters. The only other one that comes close to being interesting is the nanny/housekeeper, in how she eventually becomes a problem for the "borrowers". now about the Borrowers, the idea is that they take; Oh i'm sorry "borrow", from people and use it for their everyday uses. I think there was a movie around the 80's or 90's named the same thing. We also get the classic cliche of someone who's tired of their everyday living and just wants to get out in the world. I say classic because it's old, I;m not implying that it's good in anyway. Well, there are some funny moments in the film; none that are laugh out loud, but some that're good old knee slappers. I guess I just can't really get with this movie because it's just weird, unlike Howl's moving castle which was weird as well but was interesting too. So, I can say that this is probably a good movie, it's just not for me. Expand
  6. Aug 7, 2015
    The Secret World of Arrietty shows the world from the fascinating point of view of people a little bigger than ants. This is the only part that I particularly liked about this movie with a plot that goes nowhere and some of the weakest characters that Studio Ghibli has produced. If it weren't for the stunning visuals I wouldn't have made it through to the end.

1. Reviewed by: Simon Kinnear
    Jan 18, 2015
    Arrietty’s craft and charm will invite universal acclaim.
  2. Reviewed by: Marc Savlov
    Feb 23, 2012
    Although not directed by Hiyao Miyazaki (though he executive-produced and co-wrote it), the film retains the look and feel of the "Spirited Away" master's best work, allowing for huge emotions amidst a world of Lilliputian scope.
  3. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    Feb 21, 2012
    The Secret World of Arrietty may be too gentle and meditative to be the studio's breakout hit in this country, but it's another sweet advance, and further evidence that the Ghibli secret must soon out.